Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Turf 2020 and Beyond

Are there any stats about turf injuries vs. natural grass injuries as it relates to age and physical condition of the player? 

These washed up quarterbacks just need to give it up and retire when it's time to retire. They're hurting the game. Look at the seasons the Colts have wasted due to old men not being able to play football on a modern surface.

45 minutes ago, btownqbcoach1 said:

I guess we should put them in bubble wrap 🤣🤣

It is pretty funny how much this topic brothers the troll. 

Yeah, it does bother me.  As I have stated before such expensive extravagances have no place in a game played by children.

At least Rodgers is probably set to get millions of guaranteed money.  I doubt the 16-year old high school player does.

https://nflpa.com/posts/only-natural-grass-can-level-the-nfls-playing-field

28 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Yeah, it does bother me.  As I have stated before such expensive extravagances have no place in a game played by children.

At least Rodgers is probably set to get millions of guaranteed money.  I doubt the 16-year old high school player does.

But, this thread isn't about how "expensive" turf is? lol ....literally we've been over this.  

Simple stuff man. 

Edited by btownqbcoach1

28 minutes ago, btownqbcoach1 said:

But, this thread isn't about how "expensive" turf is? lol ....literally we've been over this.  

True. This thread was started as yet more "navel gazing" about how great turf was.  You wanted to sweep anything even slightly negative about the product under the rug.  Only pretty picture after pretty picture of new turfs fields would suffice. 

image.png.faeef5dd1d267153bc5a4ad5e228387a.png

44 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

True. This thread was started as yet more "navel gazing" about how great turf was.  You wanted to sweep anything even slightly negative about the product under the rug.  Only pretty picture after pretty picture of new turfs fields would suffice. 

image.png.faeef5dd1d267153bc5a4ad5e228387a.png

I'm sorry you weren't able to handle that.  

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

It is expensive to upkeep on a grass field as well.

An achiles injury can and does happen on a grass field too.

2 hours ago, scarab527 said:

I think it's funny that all of the people who play the game at the highest level possible are in near-unanimous agreement that grass is easier on the body, while a bunch of guys sitting on their couches watching them go "Nuh-uh you're wrong!"

To be fair the Bermuda grass the NFL players get to play is very different than the hard ground and Kentucky bluegrass on high school fields. Those surfaces look and feel like an artificial surface but nicer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, scarab527 said:

I think it's funny that all of the people who play the game at the highest level possible are in near-unanimous agreement that grass is easier on the body, while a bunch of guys sitting on their couches watching them go "Nuh-uh you're wrong!"

Go run on Rose Hulman's Football field, any turf field, and any high school that has Natural grass and let me know what difference you feel (I have done all of the above. The people who play the game at the highest level possible aren't playing on High School natural grass when they do play on Natural Grass. Rose Hulman happens to have NFL grass that was installed when the Colts used their facility for training camp.

2 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

Go run on Rose Hulman's Football field, any turf field, and any high school that has Natural grass and let me know what difference you feel (I have done all of the above. The people who play the game at the highest level possible aren't playing on High School natural grass when they do play on Natural Grass. Rose Hulman happens to have NFL grass that was installed when the Colts used their facility for training camp.

BINGO

1 minute ago, 5GetsYou1 said:

Now someone tell the manufacturer to put a shadow on the 50 yard line through the logos 😉

not sure I follow

2 minutes ago, btownqbcoach1 said:

not sure I follow

Perf NFHS rules, any logo covering a yard marker should have a shadow to establish the line. If there is a measurement in that area and we don't have the yard lines, we have to move the ball outside of the logo to measure it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 5GetsYou1 said:

Perf NFHS rules, any logo covering a yard marker should have a shadow to establish the line. If there is a measurement in that area and we don't have the yard lines, we have to move the ball outside of the logo to measure it. 

I'm sure there is a line through the 50. 

Edited by btownqbcoach1

4 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

Except they’ve done studies specifically focused on high school and found the exact same stuff: 

CC81F452-AD4E-4392-AECE-4CF7DCDB15B0.thumb.png.9b74e9495cf665f6ce19a119dd0343e1.png2E591A42-F8E3-4E34-AD87-9E491AD66793.thumb.png.476b1d368e7fd2405aab8af625d0ddaa.png2122C5B1-1636-41C1-B0AE-B61CD31B6FDC.thumb.png.e0e254cb50697092dfd5c54560660165.pngh

14 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

No one is being forced to play on turf. HS sports are elective extra-curricular activities.

Yes, no one is being forced to sign up for sports.

Those who choose to sign up are being forced to play on surfaces that are not optimal for safety in the name of saving money and expedience for administrators. Pretty shameful if you ask me. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

Those who choose to sign up are being forced to play on surfaces that are not optimal for safety in the name of saving money and expedience for administrators. Pretty shameful if you ask me. 

If they're scared of getting hurt, they shouldn't sign up for a sport that forces you to bang into other humans and throw them to the ground.

Edited by gonzoron
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

Believing this stuff is wild though. 

We don't have more injuries on our turf, really it isn't even close, Now that's just our school. 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35593739/ 

"58% more likely to be injured on turf than grass"... is where you should have stopped reading. Preposterous to believe that. 

Shameful? lol 

1 hour ago, scarab527 said:

Except they’ve done studies specifically focused on high school and found the exact same stuff: 

CC81F452-AD4E-4392-AECE-4CF7DCDB15B0.thumb.png.9b74e9495cf665f6ce19a119dd0343e1.png2E591A42-F8E3-4E34-AD87-9E491AD66793.thumb.png.476b1d368e7fd2405aab8af625d0ddaa.png2122C5B1-1636-41C1-B0AE-B61CD31B6FDC.thumb.png.e0e254cb50697092dfd5c54560660165.pngh

https://apnews.com/article/nfl-nflpa-aaron-rodgers-achilles-injury-grass-fields-artificial-surface-0b6bd58da43d52b0a8578bd7e70228d3

The NFL Players Association wants the league to switch all its fields to natural grass, calling it “the easiest decision the NFL can make.”

Executive director Lloyd Howell issued a statement Wednesday morning saying NFL players “overwhelming prefer it and the data is clear that grass is simply safer than artificial turf.” Howell said the issue “has been near the top of the players’ list during my team visits and one I have raised with the NFL.”

The players’ union called for the change less than 48 hours after a season-ending injury to four-time NFL MVP quarterback Aaron Rodgers. Rodgers tore his left Achilles tendon in his debut with the New York Jets on Monday night.

The union has asked for all grass fields for years.

The NFLPA in April pointed to studies from 2012-22 that it says show a significant increase in non-contact injuries on artificial surfaces vs. grass fields. The NFL has defended the use of artificial turf, pointing to 2021 when the numbers for injuries on both surfaces were close.

Rodgers argued for grass all over the league last November while with the Green Bay Packers. He said some artificial surfaces are softer, creating more wobble when the foot hits the ground.

3 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

If they're scared of getting hurt, they shouldn't sign up for a sport that forces you to bang into other humans and throw them to the ground.

Using that logic lets go back to leather helmets, or no helmets at all. 

• Like 1