Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Chatard @ Cathedral (Arlington MS)

OK, so what's up with all these high school teams - some of them larger schools - playing games at a jr. high venue?  I don't live in Indiana anymore, and keep seeing this "at Arlington MS".

Do they have a kickin' new stadium that's better than the high schools?  Is there a push for neutral site regular season games (IIRC most of these are Indy-area teams)?  Are these high schools all having work done at their stadiums concurrently?

What gives?  As the guy in the Dirty Harry movie said, "I gots to know!"

Edited by Bonecrusher

14 minutes ago, Bonecrusher said:

OK, so what's up with all these high school teams - some of them larger schools - playing games at a jr. high venue?  I don't live in Indiana anymore, and keep seeing this "at Arlington MS".

Do they have a kickin' new stadium that's better than the high schools?  Is there a push for neutral site regular season games (IIRC most of these are Indy-area teams)?  Are these high schools all having work done at their stadiums concurrently?

let the fun begin! Usually this does not come up until Center Grove vs Cathedral game. It is the only time big boys like CG get to play in the mud.

2021_10_15_CG-vs-Cathedral__15-scaled.jpg

1 hour ago, Bonecrusher said:

Arlington High School closed in 2018 (along with Broad Ripple and Northwest). The IPS school board decided Arlington would reopen as Arlington Middle School for the 2018-2019 school year. So Arlington Middle School field was actually a High School field that is now known as Arlington Middle School Field. Both Cathedral and Chatard used it as their homefield in the early 90's as well as Broad Ripple's football field. The field is natural grass and since Cathedral got an agreement from Arlington to use it Cathedral has paid for the Natural Grass to be resurfaced and cared for. Yes with excessive rain (hence the photo up above) it does get muddy, but it is actually in better condition than it ever was while Arlington High School was still operating.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, FastpacedO said:

Arlington High School closed in 2018 (along with Broad Ripple and Northwest). The IPS school board decided Arlington would reopen as Arlington Middle School for the 2018-2019 school year. So Arlington Middle School field was actually a High School field that is now known as Arlington Middle School Field. Both Cathedral and Chatard used it as their homefield in the early 90's as well as Broad Ripple's football field. The field is natural grass and since Cathedral got an agreement from Arlington to use it Cathedral has paid for the Natural Grass to be resurfaced and cared for. Yes with excessive rain (hence the photo up above) it does get muddy, but it is actually in better condition than it ever was while Arlington High School was still operating.

OK, now that you mention it I do vaguely remember hearing about a Arlington HS back in the day.  When it changed to JH I was already out of state.  Interesting...  Nice to see a larger school still using natural grass.

1 hour ago, Bonecrusher said:

OK, now that you mention it I do vaguely remember hearing about a Arlington HS back in the day.  When it changed to JH I was already out of state.  Interesting...  Nice to see a larger school still using natural grass.

Yes

https://www.almanacsports.com/football/history.php?team=IND_ARL

Arlington's best season ever was 1999 in 5A Regionals they led Ben Davis 15-13 until Ben David kicked a last second long field goal to win the game 16-15. Ben Davis went on to beat Bloomington South 38-0 in Semi-State and Penn 27-3 in the State Finals.

image.png.9207d6de74012f66f252d91f7b87b64f.png

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

Yes

https://www.almanacsports.com/football/history.php?team=IND_ARL

Arlington's best season ever was 1999 in 5A Regionals they led Ben Davis 15-13 until Ben David kicked a last second long field goal to win the game 16-15. Ben Davis went on to beat Bloomington South 38-0 in Semi-State and Penn 27-3 in the State Finals.

image.png.9207d6de74012f66f252d91f7b87b64f.png

COACH HARPOLD was an awesome coach and person. He turned Howe and Alington into really solid programs. Plus, I have great appreciation for anyone that teaches Math.

5 hours ago, Bonecrusher said:

Arlington was a high school up until a few years ago. Would hardly call Cathedral a "larger school" they just happen to play in the largest class. Seating has never been an issue (parking though on the other hand) for any game I've ever attended there. Stadium is adequate but there could be better concession arrangements. Surface is natural and not an issue...unless it rans for 72 straight hours prior to a game?

Edit: see this has already been explained.

Edited by Footballking16

7 hours ago, Tin Cup said:

Checked that site also, it's not on there.   Someone told me that Arlington may not be equipped (possibly no wifi) to stream games?  Any truth to that?

No, other games have been televised from AMS.  I was under the impression that Bishop Chatard had an agreement with Indiana SRN to televise their games.  Maybe that agreement has expired?

Maybe Cathedral would be able to install wifi or build their own stadium if they weren’t paying all of that money to drive 15 busses all over Indiana to pick up “student athletes” every day. (I’m kidding. It’s only 8 buses). I’m just playing around here. We all know it is because of the NIL money they are paying. (Again, kidding)

8 hours ago, Just a dad said:

Maybe Cathedral would be able to install wifi or build their own stadium if they weren’t paying all of that money to drive 15 busses all over Indiana to pick up “student athletes” every day. (I’m kidding. It’s only 8 buses). I’m just playing around here. We all know it is because of the NIL money they are paying. (Again, kidding)

All kidding aside. I don't understand why wifi or televising would be an issue. Heck there was a 1995 great Sectional Championship game between (10-0) Avon and (6-4) Cathedral (Avon won 14-7 in OT) televised at Arlington. If they could televise the games in the early 90's from Arlington, why wouldn't they be able to in 2023?