Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Notre Dame 2024

Bobref

Uh oh:  https://www.on3.com/teams/notre-dame-fighting-irish/news/notre-dame-football-head-coach-marcus-freeman-nick-saban-alabama-coaching-candidate/

Notre Dame just can’t ever seem to elude coaching craziness. Fighting Irish head coach Marcus Freeman was named a replacement candidate for former Alabama head coach Nick Saban on Wednesday.

On 1/4/2024 at 6:33 PM, Bobref said:

Time to turn the page and look ahead. Heard today that Xavier Watts is officially returning. National Defensive Player of the Year. That’s a BBBIIIGGGG get!

Cool part will be seeing two former Indiana Mr Footballs (Kiser and Bowen) lining up next to each other

21 hours ago, Whiting89 said:

Out of curiosity can ND get anyone out of transfer portal or do they still have to meet some academic criteria?

Not 100% sure but they still have to get through admissions to be accepted into ND. And I don’t think there’s much wiggle room when it comes to admissions. For example, I had heard a coaches kid (who went to Oklahoma and has entered the transfer portal but still doesn’t have the grades to get into ND) wouldn’t be accepted into ND as a possible transfer candidate. Again not sure if that’s true but I just had heard. The only thing that’s changed is that the irish now take undergrad transfers, before they would only take in grad transfers. 

• Like 1

OK, it’s not football. But the event was big enough to warrant mention here.

50 years ago today, the invincible UCLA Bruins basketball team came into South Bend, riding an NCAA record 88 game winning streak. Just 20 days after the Irish football team upset mighty Alabama in the Sugar Bowl to win the national championship, the basketball team took down the 7-time defending champs 71-70, scoring the last 11 pts. of the game. I was there in person at both games. I can still see The Iceman, Dwight Clay, rising on the right baseline for the game winner. When we got up the next morning (OK, it might have been afternoon), the Irish were national champs in football and ranked #1 in basketball. Those were the days …

https://www.wndu.com/video/2024/01/19/remembering-notre-dames-historic-upset-over-ucla-50-years-later/

Little known fact: before that game in 1974, the Bruins had not lost a game since the 1970-71 season … when Austin Carr and the Irish took down Sidney Wicks, Curtis Rowe, Henry Bibby, etc. I was at that one, too.

Edited by Bobref
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/19/2024 at 7:40 PM, Bobref said:

OK, it’s not football. But the event was big enough to warrant mention here.

50 years ago today, the invincible UCLA Bruins basketball team came into South Bend, riding an NCAA record 88 game winning streak. Just 20 days after the Irish football team upset mighty Alabama in the Sugar Bowl to win the national championship, the basketball team took down the 7-time defending champs 71-70, scoring the last 11 pts. of the game. I was there in person at both games. I can still see The Iceman, Dwight Clay, rising on the right baseline for the game winner. When we got up the next morning (OK, it might have been afternoon), the Irish were national champs in football and ranked #1 in basketball. Those were the days …

https://www.wndu.com/video/2024/01/19/remembering-notre-dames-historic-upset-over-ucla-50-years-later/

Little known fact: before that game in 1974, the Bruins had not lost a game since the 1970-71 season … when Austin Carr and the Irish took down Sidney Wicks, Curtis Rowe, Henry Bibby, etc. I was at that one, too.

I remember that game like it was yesterday!😊

Safeties coach Chris O’Leary has joined the chargers staff, which is a big time loss for the Irish. Great job of working with the safeties last few years and an excellent recruiter. 
Also, new transfer qb Riley Leonard had a foot/ankle procedure done but it supposed to be ready for spring practice. Definitely something to monitor   

• 2 weeks later...

So, the new college football 12 team playoff is in place. Jack Swarbrick (on his way out the door in a few months) was one of the unanimous votes for the plan. Under the new format, even if ND is ranked in the Top 4 at the end of the regular season, the highest they can be seeded is #5, meaning they have to win 4 playoff games to win the natty.

If this comes back to bite them (they have to get to the Top 4 first), the inevitable result will be an even louder outcry for the Irish to join a conference. They’ve always said a few things would have to happen for ND to reconsider its position on conference affiliation. One of them is if independent status was a formidable obstacle to competing for a championship. This might be it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bobref said:

So, the new college football 12 team playoff is in place. Jack Swarbrick (on his way out the door in a few months) was one of the unanimous votes for the plan. Under the new format, even if ND is ranked in the Top 4 at the end of the regular season, the highest they can be seeded is #5, meaning they have to win 4 playoff games to win the natty.

If this comes back to bite them (they have to get to the Top 4 first), the inevitable result will be an even louder outcry for the Irish to join a conference. They’ve always said a few things would have to happen for ND to reconsider its position on conference affiliation. One of them is if independent status was a formidable obstacle to competing for a championship. This might be it.

I think the bigger issue would be the other 14 team playoff being discussed, which includes more automatic bids for conference champs. 

20 hours ago, Bobref said:

Maybe I am reading this wrong, but it appears that it only says the 5 highest ranked conference champs will get automatic bids. So you could have conference champs ranked 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10, and they are guaranteed spots. So ND could be a 3 and lock up that seed? Or, if the 5 highest ranked conference champs could be ranked 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9, and ND could be ranked 2nd. I will say it’s a stretch to be number 1 for them, but any scenario is possible. 

Here is what @Muda69 posted in another topic

image.thumb.png.821d33f73d09006250d1bfc4511e201c.png

The way I'm reading it, Bob is correct. The best Notre Dame can do is #5. The system already needs to be reworked though. I'm on board with the Big 10, ACC, and the SEC getting a first round bye. Each of those conferences are going to produce a legitimate contender. But with Texas, Oklahoma, Oregon, and Washington jumping ship to the SEC and Big 10, I'm struggling with the Pac 12 and Big 12 getting that fourth spot. I get it, the NCAA wants the conference championship to mean something. But the Big 12 and Pac 12 aren't what they once were.

Long story short? It's time for Notre Dame to make a move. The Big 10 makes the most sense. If Notre Dame wants their brand to stretch from coast to coast, the Big 10 will provide that and secure their annual game with USC. Keep Navy, ditch Stanford for Washington or Oregon. Replace Clemson with (cough cough) Maryland or Rutgers. Play one of those games on the road when hosting Navy that year. That way their brand on the East Coast remains. Notre Dame's only concern at this point is lack of brand in the Southeast. 

12 minutes ago, BTF said:

The way I'm reading it, Bob is correct.

I can’t take credit … if I was correct. I stole it from a post by @temptation, who posted that ND’s “ceiling” under the new plan was #5. Since he is the clearinghouse for all things potentially negative about Notre Dame, I trust his interpretation. 😉

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

I can’t take credit … if I was correct. I stole it from a post by @temptation, who posted that ND’s “ceiling” under the new plan was #5. Since he is the clearinghouse for all things potentially negative about Notre Dame, I trust his interpretation. 😉

Love it. 

On 1/13/2024 at 12:27 PM, Whiting89 said:

Out of curiosity can ND get anyone out of transfer portal or do they still have to meet some academic criteria?

In theory...maybe.  In practice, No.

One of the primary reasons that, while the Holy fathers "say" they are a premier national program, all they are really trying to be is the best version of the Standfords and Northwesterns.  If you want to beat B1G and SEC premier teams...you need to recruit and accept the same players they are recruiting and accepting.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2024 at 11:27 AM, Whiting89 said:

Their standards are the same, whether you are coming out of high school, or through the portal.

2 hours ago, US31 said:

In theory...maybe.  In practice, No.

One of the primary reasons that, while the Holy fathers "say" they are a premier national program, all they are really trying to be is the best version of the Standfords and Northwesterns.  If you want to beat B1G and SEC premier teams...you need to recruit and accept the same players they are recruiting and accepting.

My vote is for Notre Dame to not sell their soul to the devil. Getting to a high profile bowl game with a bunch of smart kids should suffice. Throwing a bunch of academically unqualified young men into the university for the sole sake of winning a championship compromises the integrity of the university. And I'll be the first to admit, it's a breath of fresh air to see their kids intelligently articulate themselves during interviews after the game. The chances of Notre Dame winning a national championship is a lot lower than what it was back in the 60's, 70's, and 80's. The college football landscape has changed, integrity appears to be at an all time low. Finishing in the Top 10 is the new benchmark for the Irish unfortunately. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bobref said:

I can’t even relate to a team that hasn’t won a national title in 36 years anymore.

Michigan hasn’t won one in 46…DAYS.

• Haha 1

On 2/23/2024 at 4:05 PM, BTF said:

My vote is for Notre Dame to not sell their soul to the devil. Getting to a high profile bowl game with a bunch of smart kids should suffice. 

I'm not saying its not the proper moral or ethical choice....but do admit you are not using full resources allotted to you by the current rulebook is to say you aren't really trying to win a national championship.

Do you think all of the coaches/players are going to be comfortable with "getting to a high profile bowl game with a bunch of smart kids"...or to they maybe want to be in position to actually win a national championship?  Which Notre Dame is fully capable of doing if they utilize the resources they have along with the current NIL and Transfer rules.  I suggest a lot of quality coaches would like to be at a place they can really win....some players may realize that ND is not actually playing to win and head for more competitive pastures.  

I'm not saying either choice is good or bad...but a poster had asked about ND using the transfer portal.  They really aren't compared to the other top programs.  And to use your quote....ND appears to be happy getting to a nice bowl with smart kids.

16 minutes ago, US31 said:

And to use your quote....ND appears to be happy getting to a nice bowl with smart kids.

Notre Dame has held to a particular set of values for over 180 years. Any practice, of any type, that is inconsistent with those values is a nonstarter. They will win their way, or they won’t win … and every true Notre Dame person is fine with that. Believe it or not, the University is bigger than any sport, TV contract, or national championship.

1 minute ago, Bobref said:

Notre Dame has held to a particular set of values for over 180 years. Any practice, of any type, that is inconsistent with those values is a nonstarter. They will win their way, or they won’t win … and every true Notre Dame person is fine with that. Believe it or not, the University is bigger than any sport, TV contract, or national championship.

I have no argument with that....

What I will argue with, however, is if Coach Freeman is let go for "not winning the big one"...even though he is graduating players at a very high rate.  There have been a lot of good coaches shown the door at ND since Lou.  Willingham, Weiss, and Kelly were good coaches....(I know Kelly left more or less on his terms, but his frustrations with the above discussion were well known, and were what lead him to leave...his goals are a National Champtionship.)

Again, I'm not disagreeing with anything you or other posters have said.  Just pointing out that players and coaches who have realistic aspirations of winning a national title are likely to avoid ND.  Players in the program may have changing priorites and choose to leave.   This is the reality.

It would be interesting if the B1G, SEC, and Big12 choose to leave the NCAA in their dust and go completley separate in FB and MBB.  Would ND choose to be the torchbearer in going back to a more traditional college athletics model...along with the leftovers of Div1?  

Or do they want the money just as bad as everyone else?

3 hours ago, US31 said:

I have no argument with that....

What I will argue with, however, is if Coach Freeman is let go for "not winning the big one"...even though he is graduating players at a very high rate.  There have been a lot of good coaches shown the door at ND since Lou.  Willingham, Weiss, and Kelly were good coaches....(I know Kelly left more or less on his terms, but his frustrations with the above discussion were well known, and were what lead him to leave...his goals are a National Champtionship.)

Again, I'm not disagreeing with anything you or other posters have said.  Just pointing out that players and coaches who have realistic aspirations of winning a national title are likely to avoid ND.  Players in the program may have changing priorites and choose to leave.   This is the reality.

It would be interesting if the B1G, SEC, and Big12 choose to leave the NCAA in their dust and go completley separate in FB and MBB.  Would ND choose to be the torchbearer in going back to a more traditional college athletics model...along with the leftovers of Div1?  

Or do they want the money just as bad as everyone else?

Freeman won't ever be let go for not winning the big one, just as Kelly wasn't let go. If he can average 9 or 10 wins per season, his job is safe as long as he's running a clean program. Willingham and Weiss aren't good comparisons. Willingham couldn't recruit and Weiss just flat out lost focus after awhile. 

I think Notre Dame attracts the type of kid that think's he's capable of taking the Irish to a championship level. And if he doesn't, well, he has one hell of a degree to show for his hard work and time. Can a championship be achieved using the current model? I think so. If you look back over the last 13 or so years, Notre Dame's had at least two teams that were a great quarterback away from winning the whole thing. 

• Like 1