Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Why No Homefield Advantage in Indiana in 2023?

What are your thoughts on the statewide Homfield Advantage at only 0.25 (one-fourth) point?

Historically, the Indiana high school rounds around 1.5 to 2.5 points. College and the NFL is typically 2.5 points as a given.  Certainly it is expected to see some variation, but only 0.25 points?  Is it because the bands aren't softening the field with their skin sweat during halftime shows .?. if they even take place!!!  I need answers and need them now!

This is a shameless promotion of my Indiana High School Football Predictor Tool - https://predictor.gridirondigest.net/

Rest assured that new features are forthcoming! Perhaps the new "Vs. the Field" feature will tide ya'll over.

One new feature I am working on is the ability for Team Year vs Team Year matchups (kind of like Cal Prep, but my algorithm is better.)  Contact me.  

Out!  

Chris

• Like 4

Good work, but using Sagarin has it's drawbacks. Snider was obliterated in the ranking for not running up the score on their last opponent. It does tend to work itself out come playoff time though. 

I have a hard time thinking .25 is enough for the home team. I think it should be 3. 

9 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

I need answers and need them now!

I think the main reason is simply geography. Unlike CFB and NFL, high school sports allow for away fans to travel easier and together, creating a more balanced volume level from each side of the bleachers. Of course, the bleacher size for the away teams will typically be smaller than the home's, but if it is a big game between local schools you know the fence will be lined as well. I think during the regular season the team's talent disparity will typically outweigh the fan's influence of the game.

That being said, .25 points is quite low, but I think 2.5 points would be too many. 

PS: I really enjoy using your Predictor Tool.

46 minutes ago, Bobref said:

And why did you conclude this?

Because it makes the playing surface that much more homogenous, and not a factor in the contest.  With grass fields a lot of times you have that 'quirk',  like the small hole/divot near a hash on the 30-yard line that the home team knows about but the visiting team, maybe not.  And a decent groundskeeper can hide that quirk, in addition to making sure the grass length is "just right".  Advantage:  Home team.

3 hours ago, 5GetsYou1 said:

I think the main reason is simply geography. Unlike CFB and NFL, high school sports allow for away fans to travel easier and together, creating a more balanced volume level from each side of the bleachers. Of course, the bleacher size for the away teams will typically be smaller than the home's, but if it is a big game between local schools you know the fence will be lined as well. I think during the regular season the team's talent disparity will typically outweigh the fan's influence of the game.

That being said, .25 points is quite low, but I think 2.5 points would be too many. 

PS: I really enjoy using your Predictor Tool.

Thanks. I'm just glad it is working. Do you look at the vs Field predictions too?

Let me know of any issues. I'm trying to speed it up and optimize many functions. 

For example, the tool no longer grabs data from Sagarins site with every prediction. I'm archiving as many years and weeks of ratings as possible.

Pretty soon you'll be able to project 2003 Warren Central vs 2020 Center Grove (or whatever seasons).

2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Because it makes the playing surface that much more homogenous, and not a factor in the contest.  With grass fields a lot of times you have that 'quirk',  like the small hole/divot near a hash on the 30-yard line that the home team knows about but the visiting team, maybe not.  And a decent groundskeeper can hide that quirk, in addition to making sure the grass length is "just right".  Advantage:  Home team.

But the NFL has mostly the same surfaces (less Green Bay) and most years their HFA is around 2.5.

What gives? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have never felt like we have a huge advantage at home or disadvantage at any of the places we play.  I feel like Vincennes Lincoln "Inman" is a hard place to play do due the atrocious officiating.  Heritage Hills is second place....except at the lower levels where they are fist place....by a lot.

While I'm always fascinated by the predictor tool, my question is . . .

Is there really a home field advantage in high school?

Not trying to be a wise-apple here.  I'm just curious what ya'll think about home field.

I've seen schools that travel and are just a superior team than their counterparts.

They play they same at home, even with a crowd.

as always, the game is better

from_the_sidelines007

I blame the IHSAA Champions Network for a lack of home field advantage. While it is great for watching other games around the state on the weekend for me, the games are also shown live on the network which means its a lot easier and cheaper for families to watch a free live stream at home than go to the game which means less people in the stands. Is this the real reason for lack of home field advantage? Idk, but it is definitely a reason for a decrease in people being at games on Friday nights in my opinion.