Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Mr. Football Favorites?

I'd say ringer the leading candidate.  Will continue to put up numbers and stay fresh with some running clocks. He is a tough dude with speed, not to mention that offensive line they got. Love watching number 73 pancake dudes all the time, that guys a beast!! I'm a little biased towards the southeast indiana teams though.  I'm sure there's other great candidates!! Good luck to all!!

8 hours ago, psaboy said:

Would like to see that list 

In no particular order…from my era (late 90s on)…

James Aldridge - Merrillville

James Banks - Ben Davis

Otis Shannon - Cathedral 

Jerimy Finch - Warren Central

Austin Robertson - Fort Wayne Wayne

Guys I thought were destined for long NFL careers who never panned out for one reason or another.

2 hours ago, temptation said:

James Banks - Ben Davis

Otis Shannon - Cathedral 

Guys I thought were destined for long NFL careers who never panned out for one reason or another.

Dray Mason in this category? Great guy btw. I connected with him about 10 years ago and he was a stand up guy so humble 

7 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Dray Mason in this category? Great guy btw. I connected with him about 10 years ago and he was a stand up guy so humble 

Dray Mason unfortunately was not a Mr. Football award winner as Clayton Richards won it that year. He was an exciting RB to watch though. Devin Moore from Cardinal Ritter was fun to watch too.

Edited by FastpacedO

2 hours ago, temptation said:

James Banks - Ben Davis

Otis Shannon - Cathedral 

One is not like the other in that list. All those guys with the exception of Shannon were afforded scholarships to major D1 programs.

Still a phenomenal list of high school players regardless. 

14 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

One is not like the other in that list. All those guys with the exception of Shannon were afforded scholarships to major D1 programs.

Still a phenomenal list of high school players regardless. 

So to try and bring this full circle, in retrospect  should the awatrd have gone to a lineman in any of those years?

3 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

So to try and bring this full circle, in retrospect  should the awatrd have gone to a lineman in any of those years?

Shannon and Banks were the only Mr. Football winners on that list. Robertson himself was a defensive lineman, believe Brandon Peters won it that year who I certainly don't have any qualms with. If Blake Fisher didn't win Mr. Football tough for me seeing any future lineman winning. 

1 hour ago, FastpacedO said:

Dray Mason unfortunately was not a Mr. Football award winner as Clayton Richards won it that year. He was an exciting RB to watch though. Devin Moore from Cardinal Ritter was fun to watch too.

Richard and Moore did more than alright for themselves as both had legitimate professional careers unless I am mistaken.  

Joe Tippman for Dwenger about 5 years ago was about as good as I have ever seen. Played mostly OL, sometimes DL. About 4 games in the coaches put him in at fullback on short yardage. It was amazing to see 6'6", 300 lbs going around end with the ball tucked. Great feet, played center at Wisconsin, now 1st year backup on the Jets.

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Richard and Moore did more than alright for themselves as both had legitimate professional careers unless I am mistaken.  

I wasn't saying they didn't have legit careers just they were fun to watch. Moore had some good return yards in NFL. Richards went MLB route.

36 minutes ago, johnny U said:

Nitro Tuggle of NorthWood, committed to #1 Georgia, has to be in the discussion.  As a receiver he has 36 receptions and 521 receiving yards.

No chance.  If you’re not on a 5A/6A squad, you d better have more dominating stats than THAT and be on an undefeated team.

Edited by temptation

On 9/20/2023 at 6:04 PM, Footballking16 said:

Banks was much more physically gifted than Otis Shannon.

Agreed. I always thought of Shannon has a great HS RB whose insane numbers were more a product of his environment, i.e, 2 NFL OL and Cathedrals offense as a whole.

On 9/20/2023 at 7:35 PM, Grover said:

Russ Yeast starts for the Rams but did not win Mr. Football

I honestly forgot about him. Wasn't he a move in for his Senior year because dad took a job with the Colts? I think it's easy for him to go unnoticed because he was only in Indiana for 1 season and played on an absolutely loaded CG squad.