• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

Head Coach Openings 2017   10/17/2016

Frankton: Randy England  Bobby Ryan Promoted  Franklin Community:  Adam Reese  Chris Coll hired from Tri-West Martinsville: Brad Rose  Carter Whitson Hired  Lake Central: Brett St. Germain Tony Bartolomeo Promoted South Bend Clay: Craig Redman  Will Porter Hired from South Vermilion  Boone Grove:  Tony Tinkel   Dan Kukulski Promoted  Mooresville:  Chad Dockery Mike Gillin hired from Indian Creek Wood Memorial:  Caleb Cherry/Archer  Bret Kramer Hired Tippecanoe Valley:  Shriver/Norris   Stephen Moriarty  Hired Corydon Central:  Andrew Smith    Aaron Humphrey Hired Calumet New Tech:  Rik Richards  Rick Good Hired  Winamac:  Tim Roth Craig Barr Hired   Tri-West: Chris Coll Tyler Bruce Promoted North Central (Indy): Kevin Kreinhagen Kevin O'Shea hired from Lafayette Central Catholic Indy Chatard:  Vince Lorenzano Rob Doyle Promoted Paoli: Brian Balsmeyer Jeremy Lowery Promoted Mt. Vernon (Fortville): Doug Armstrong  Neil Kazmierczak  Hired from Lebanon  Bluffton: Randy Hudgins Brett Kunkel Hired Indian Creek: Mike Gillin Brett Cooper Hired Vincennes Lincoln:  Jon Heiden  Levi Salters Promoted  Frankfort:  Joel Sienicki Eric Davis Hired from Tri-County South Vermillion:  Will Porter  Greg Barrett hired from North Putnam Riverton Parke:  Jake Weber Brad Sanders Promoted Elkhart Central:  Levon Johnson Josh Shattuck hired from Seymour Mt. Vernon (Posey) Paul Meirer Cory Brunson hired from Evansville Harrison Richmond:  Matt Holeva  Abe Tawfeek hired from Indy Northwest Lebanon:    Neil Kazmierczak Jeff Smock Hired North White:  Jim Davis Kirk Quasebarth Promoted  North Posey:   Paul Rynkiewich  Waylon Schenk hired from Princeton  Pike Central:  Dustin Powell   Erik Mattingly Hired  John Glenn:  Damon Groves Austin Faust Promoted North Putnam:  Greg Barrett Sam Carnes Hired  Lafayette Central Catholic: Kevin O'Shea Don Coller Promoted  Evansville Harrison: Cory Brunson Lane Oxley Hired Indianapolis Roncalli:  Bruce Scifres Scott Marsh Promoted  Anderson Prep Academy: Jeffrey Dorman Randy Albano Hired Princeton:   Waylon Schenk   Jared Maners Hired Ft. Wayne North:  Mike Cochran Michael Brevard Hired Turkey Run:  Steve Stewart Bruce Scaggs Hired Indianapolis Northwest:   Abe Tawfeek Jonas Williams Promoted Tri-County:  Eric Davis  Sam Zachary Hired Carroll Community:  Mark Brown Kevin Sayler Promoted  Oldenburg Academy:  Wes Gillman  Union County:  Rusty Hensley Joel Hofmann promoted Edgewood: Jerry Bland Brian Rosenburg Hired Seymour:  Josh Shattuck  Michael Kelly Hired Wawasee:  Josh Ekovich Michael Eshbach hired from Eastside Muncie Central:  Adam Morris Scott Pethtel Hired Benton Central:  Ed Roberson  Mike Hammons  Promoted  Western:  Ron Jankovich Alex Stewart Hired New Castle:  Will Ragle  Kyle York Hired Sullivan:  Trent Olson Blaine Powell promoted Northwestern:  Alex Stewart Steve Disler hired  Clinton Central:  Isaac Sturgis Justin Gardiner Hired North Miami:  Mark Lefebvre  Joe Grant Hired from Rochester Spring Valley Justin Scheller Mark Hammond Hired  Edinburgh:  Derrick Ball  Jason Burton Hired Eastside: Michael Eshbach Steve Cooley promoted Rochester: Joe Grant Brian Hooker Hired Cloverdale: Tony Meyer Tom Winder Promoted Hammond Clark: Eric Schreiber  Hammond Noll:  Colin McCullough  Wayne Racine hired Lake Station:  Adam Hudak   South Central:  Eric Stephens Buzz Schoff Hired  Caston:  Brady Jones  Tony Slocum Promoted  
LCCAlum

1A Season Thread

I've been bored at work and was trying to think what was missing from my grid experience and it's the 1A in season Thread.

A couple of big games this week

Eastern(Greene) @ Central Catholic

Fountain Central @ Attica

Edited by LCC ALUM
  • Upvote 1

I again applaud EG for making this game happen, willing to come up to LCC for the game, it will only be helpful for their team as they have post season aspirations and the benchmark in 1a is currently the folks who reside on 9th street. 

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I again applaud EG for making this game happen, willing to come up to LCC for the game, it will only be helpful for their team as they have post season aspirations and the benchmark in 1a is currently the folks who reside on 9th street. 

As I posted in another thread, at least Eastern Greene can say they had to play the #1 and #2 ranked teams in their class in the same season.  I wonder if that's happened before?  And thanks Alum for starting the thread.

Edited by itiswhatitis

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I agree 100% with this. You know a program is headed in the right direction when they are searching out the best possible competition. I don't know the coach at Eastern, but it looks like he's serious about taking the Thunderbirds to the next level. 

A general question for the Linton fans ... I thought I saw in some of the other threads where a couple fans were talking about the front-end of the season vs. the back-end in terms of the toughness of the schedule.  Linton's schedule looks to be more front-loaded than back loaded ... although you could make an argument that EG could play spoiler on the back-end of the season.  Any detriments that are seen or worried about with that?  I know that, as an independent, scheduling is much harder to do when you are in a conference.  Is there a potential for Linto to keep the same teams on schedule, but change the order of when they play?  I have to imagine that Monrovia at the end of the season provides a slightly bigger challenge than at the start of the season when sometimes teams are still finding themselves ... especially if a team has had any big personnel turnovers.

By contrast, LCC heads into the back half of the season with a guaranteed meeting with current AP #2 3A West Lafayette and possibly current AP #5 3A Hamilton Heights depending on how the cross-conference end of season games go.  

Glad to see this thread back...now I have another thread to creep on :10:

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

A general question for the Linton fans ... I thought I saw in some of the other threads where a couple fans were talking about the front-end of the season vs. the back-end in terms of the toughness of the schedule.  Linton's schedule looks to be more front-loaded than back loaded ... although you could make an argument that EG could play spoiler on the back-end of the season.  Any detriments that are seen or worried about with that?  I know that, as an independent, scheduling is much harder to do when you are in a conference.  Is there a potential for Linto to keep the same teams on schedule, but change the order of when they play?  I have to imagine that Monrovia at the end of the season provides a slightly bigger challenge than at the start of the season when sometimes teams are still finding themselves ... especially if a team has had any big personnel turnovers.

By contrast, LCC heads into the back half of the season with a guaranteed meeting with current AP #2 3A West Lafayette and possibly current AP #5 3A Hamilton Heights depending on how the cross-conference end of season games go.  

We have already moved Eastern Greene from week 1 to week 8.  We then picked up 2A Speedway.  Next season we lose Speedway but pick up 3A Southridge to open the season.  Much tougher start.  We have 3A Sullivan at week 2 and you've already mentioned 2A Monrovia at week 3.  North Vermillion is week 4.  This week we play Springs Valley for the last time.  I haven't heard a replacement as of yet.  Perhaps something could be worked out with the Knights for next season?  Week 9 will be the last time we play North Central and we pick up 2A Providence next season.  Still hoping to see a couple more changes in weeks 6 through 8, but haven't heard any rumors.  So yes, as the schedule sits right now it is front loaded.  Don't see any teams getting changed but you never know.  I'm not as close to things as I used to be.  Maybe someone else knows more.

33 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

We have already moved Eastern Greene from week 1 to week 8.  We then picked up 2A Speedway.  Next season we lose Speedway but pick up 3A Southridge to open the season.  Much tougher start.  We have 3A Sullivan at week 2 and you've already mentioned 2A Monrovia at week 3.  North Vermillion is week 4.  This week we play Springs Valley for the last time.  I haven't heard a replacement as of yet.  Perhaps something could be worked out with the Knights for next season?  Week 9 will be the last time we play North Central and we pick up 2A Providence next season.  Still hoping to see a couple more changes in weeks 6 through 8, but haven't heard any rumors.  So yes, as the schedule sits right now it is front loaded.  Don't see any teams getting changed but you never know.  I'm not as close to things as I used to be.  Maybe someone else knows more.

Possibly, but LCC's down to a single opening now as they have just announced a four-year contract with 5A Lafayette Jeff who's right down Teal Rd. about a mile from LCC.

2 hours ago, foxbat said:

Possibly, but LCC's down to a single opening now as they have just announced a four-year contract with 5A Lafayette Jeff who's right down Teal Rd. about a mile from LCC.

Week 5, right?  Didn't Eastern Greene fill the game for this year only?  At least that's what I thought I heard.  LCC and Linton would be a great yearly matchup going forward.  Besides, if they happen to meet in the state final again this year they both will move up to 2A next year.  Sound familiar? (LCC and Scecina)

Edited by itiswhatitis
  • Upvote 1

I just started to get all my files in order to start the weekly rehash of 1A by sectionals too! Perfect timing!

Just an opinion  - there's LCC, Pioneer,  and everyone else. Pioneer hasn't seemed to have missed a beat from last year.  Just so good and so well coached along with hard nosed kids. I thought they were a year away from being pretty special again, but they seem to be arriving a year early. Have not seen Linton play, but would assume they are strong as usual as well. 

Edited by gapdownbacker

2 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

Week 5, right?  Didn't Eastern Greene fill the game for this year only?  At least that's what I thought I heard.  LCC and Linton would be a great yearly matchup going forward.  Besides, if they happen to meet in the state final again this year they both will move up to 2A next year.  Sound familiar? (LCC and Scecina)

Yeah, I think Week 5 would be the open date because I think LCC and Jeff have signed to meet in the first week of the season.  Should be a great start to the season for the city of Lafayette.

Yep, an LCC-Linton meeting in state this year send both to 2A, regardless of outcome.  It's deja vu all over again. :)

1 hour ago, gapdownbacker said:

Just an opinion  - there's LCC, Pioneer,  and everyone else. Pioneer hasn't seemed to have missed a beat from last year.  Just so good and so well coached along with hard nosed kids. I thought they were a year away from being pretty special again, but they seem to be arriving a year early. Have not seen Linton play, but would assume they are strong as usual as well. 

I'm interested in seeing how Fountain Central does too.  They seem to be handling everything so far with ease, although the schedule is a bit light on the front end.  Attica and North Vermillion should give some better idea.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gapdownbacker said:

There's LCC in the North and Linton in the South.  

2 hours ago, gapdownbacker said:

I think Pioneer needs to play someone with a pulse before they can be named at the top. Right now it's probably more accurate to said LCC, Linton, Pioneer, then everyone else.

• Upvote 1

Indy Lutheran is probably better than their record. The ICC is a gauntlet. Plus Lutheran's sectional isn't exactly the "meat grinder" of 1A. It wouldn't surprise me to see them face the winner of Sectional 45 in a regional match up. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, foxbat said:

..By contrast, LCC heads into the back half of the season with a guaranteed meeting with current AP #2 3A West Lafayette and possibly current AP #5 3A Hamilton Heights..

No disrespect to Hamilton Heights nor to LCC's SOS, but HH is not the 5th best 3A team in Indiana. More like top 15 IMHO. Likely will get all they can handle this week from Northwestern.

34 minutes ago, hick said:

No disrespect to Hamilton Heights nor to LCC's SOS, but HH is not the 5th best 3A team in Indiana. More like top 15 IMHO. Likely will get all they can handle this week from Northwestern.

Even HH in the Top 15, it's probably a strong finish compared to what most 1A teams will see in Week 9.  Equally, since Northwestern is currently receiving votes in 3A, should they prevail in the HC East, they would also probably be Top 15 or higher in 3A which again bodes well for LCC in late-season play and prep for the tourney should LCC finish first or second in the HC West.

2 hours ago, Miner Pride said:

West Washington is hanging under the radar in the south too!!

Not that far under ... I have them as my #4 in the GID poll.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, LCC ALUM said:

I think Pioneer needs to play someone with a pulse before they can be named at the top. Right now it's probably more accurate to said LCC, Linton, Pioneer, then everyone else.

Kind of like last year.  The "usual suspects".  

17 hours ago, LCC ALUM said:

I've been bored at work and was trying to think what was missing from my grid experience and it's the 1A in season Thread.

A couple of big games this week

Eastern(Greene) @ Central Catholic

Fountain Central @ Attica

Bout time this thread got started! Thanks LCC ALUM.

LCC will represent the north, which is too bad for Pioneer.  

I am very interested to see who represents the south this year; Linton, LuHi, or Fountain Central.  LuHi has the athletes and Fountain Central has the right combination of athletes and coaching.  I think the two are a push for the 2 and 3 spots in the south, but a good distance away from the Miners sitting at number 1.

Wish IHSAA took the IFCA recommendations of the 4 year success factor model instead of the 2 year model.  Imagine the landscape of 1a if that would of been the case.  Pioneer or Linton could possibly be playing in 2a by this time, LCC possibly in 2a or 3a, and so on across some classes.   Something to chew on I guess.  

As it seems now, if LCC gets past Pioneer again then they will be in 2a next year, when all accounts from those around those parts is when the downturn will begin, how much of a downturn is up for interpretation, but still have a great feeder and coaches so I will never rule them out regardless of class.  

Good Luck this week my Class 1a friends 

I have heard some rumblings that Adams Central is solid. We scrimmaged them over the summer and I thought pretty highly of them.

34 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Wish IHSAA took the IFCA recommendations of the 4 year success factor model instead of the 2 year model.  Imagine the landscape of 1a if that would of been the case.  Pioneer or Linton could possibly be playing in 2a by this time, LCC possibly in 2a or 3a, and so on across some classes.   Something to chew on I guess.  

As it seems now, if LCC gets past Pioneer again then they will be in 2a next year, when all accounts from those around those parts is when the downturn will begin, how much of a downturn is up for interpretation, but still have a great feeder and coaches so I will never rule them out regardless of class.  

Good Luck this week my Class 1a friends 

Last week 7th took a 36-0 beat down from Lafayette Jeff and this week took a 36-0 beat down from WL

8th grade took a 60-0 beat down from Jeff (Jeff kicked onside every time had 60 kids on the bench played 17 kids for 30 of 32 minutes) Where is muda and the run it up thread on that one. This week took a 46-0 beat down from WL. 

As for tonights game, LCC is taking Eastern Greene very seriously as they should!

"Big test

Until Saturday, Central Catholic's coaching staff knew little to nothing about Eastern Greene, an unfamiliar foe that only showed up as this week's opponent after unfortunate circumstances at Wood Memorial left the Thunderbirds in need of an opponent and with Central Catholic having a fitting opening.

Eastern Greene certainly has CC's attention now.

"They are 4-0 for a reason," Knights coach Kevin O'Shea said. "They've played some pretty dang good football. They are huge and have a 220-pound running back and a 210-pound running back. They are brothers. They've got a fleet-footed quarterback they like to put in the backfield and get going and they've got a big offensive line. They play a lot of power football. It's not extravagant, but it works. It will be a big physical challenge for us up front this week.""

-http://www.jconline.com/story/sports/high-school/2016/09/15/junior-linebackers-trigger-strong-harrison-defense/90242676/

1 hour ago, LCC ALUM said:

As for tonights game, LCC is taking Eastern Greene very seriously as they should!

Eastern Greene is getting better, but this game is over in the 2nd.