Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Colts 2023

Muda69

21 hours ago, Irishman said:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2023/05/05/colts-why-og-emil-ekiyor-jr-went-from-projected-4th-rounder-to-udfa/70186908007/ 
Knee injuries for o linemen, especially ones that require arthroscopic surgery scare teams away. It also appears his performance at the combine was not enough to convince a team that the knee was not an issue. I hope he does well with the Colts. 

The knee didn't seem to be a problem with Nick Saban.  He's a pretty good coach.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Boilernation said:

I don't follow the Colts outside of occasionally watching their gams. What's the deal with Taylor? Is he the latest RB to fall victim to ignoring the reality that RB's aren't as valuable as they once were or are the Colts legitimately screwing him? 

IMO, and I'm just a viewer and not an all in fan, is that he was injured last year and he needs to have a good final contract year to prove that he deserves elite money.  He's an asset when healthy.  I think Irsay has dealt with him on an honest basis.

I genuinely feel that Taylor is a bright young man with exceptional talent that has unfortunately been given bad advice by his braindead agent.

Sitting out the final year of your rookie contract demanding to be made the highest paid player at a position that is rapidly declining whilst coming off an injury is a comically bad decision. 

Colts are under no obligation to trade him this year unless the price is right and they still have the ability to tag him the following year. Taylor is losing a lot of long term money holding out. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

I genuinely feel that Taylor is a bright young man with exceptional talent that has unfortunately been given bad advice by his braindead agent.

Sitting out the final year of your rookie contract demanding to be made the highest paid player at a position that is rapidly declining whilst coming off an injury is a comically bad decision. 

Colts are under no obligation to trade him this year unless the price is right and they still have the ability to tag him the following year. Taylor is losing a lot of long term money holding out. 

Thank you! I wasn't aware of any of this. Agree. Comically bad decision. Granted we're dealing with the ego's of proffesional athletes; however, at some point guys like Taylor need to realize the how the market views RB and stop thinking you're going to dicate the value.

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

Thank you! I wasn't aware of any of this. Agree. Comically bad decision. Granted we're dealing with the ego's of proffesional athletes; however, at some point guys like Taylor need to realize the how the market views RB and stop thinking you're going to dicate the value.

I wish all the talking heads would stop talking about how the running back position is “undervalued,” when what they really mean is that is “low” valued. The entire reason for this is simply basic economics. Teams can get a running back on a rookie deal at a low price, use him for 4 years, and then replace his production with another guy on his rookie deal. The response points to a guy like Taylor, who contributes far above what the average young running back does. Taylor’s base salary now is $4.3 million. He’s reportedly looking for a deal in the $11 to $12 million per year range. The average salary for a running back in the NFL is about $1.8 million. How many players do you think the Colts could get for the money Taylor wants? Sure they’re not going to get another Taylor — there aren’t many of those around. But think of it as buying a car. You have to choose between a $100K Mercedes or a $50K Ford. You’d rather have the Mercedes. It has a bunch of things the Ford doesn’t. But then you think about what you could do with that extra $50K if you went with the Ford. It will still get you where you need to go, albeit at a more basic level. And if it winds up in the shop for some reason, you’ve still got the $50K you didn’t spend on it to arrange alternate transportation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

I wish all the talking heads would stop talking about how the running back position is “undervalued,” when what they really mean is that is “low” valued. The entire reason for this is simply basic economics. Teams can get a running back on a rookie deal at a low price, use him for 4 years, and then replace his production with another guy on his rookie deal. The response points to a guy like Taylor, who contributes far above what the average young running back does. Taylor’s base salary now is $4.3 million. He’s reportedly looking for a deal in the $11 to $12 million per year range. The average salary for a running back in the NFL is about $1.8 million. How many players do you think the Colts could get for the money Taylor wants? Sure they’re not going to get another Taylor — there aren’t many of those around. But think of it as buying a car. You have to choose between a $100K Mercedes or a $50K Ford. You’d rather have the Mercedes. It has a bunch of things the Ford doesn’t. But then you think about what you could do with that extra $50K if you went with the Ford. It will still get you where you need to go, albeit at a more basic level. And if it winds up in the shop for some reason, you’ve still got the $50K you didn’t spend on it to arrange alternate transportation.

Agree on all accounts.  Taylor had to see that Barkley did not get a long term deal.  During my younger years, the RB was the key feature player along with the QB on offense.  That is changed with the NFL protecting the QB setting up a much more passing game...making the QB and WR, in some cases TE the featured players.  

I miss much of the old game....its funny, the only time you hear much about the importance of running the ball is the playoffs.  

With the salary cap, saving $$ on the running back allows cash to be used on other needs.  It is just how it is....at least for the time being.

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

Well said. 

3 hours ago, Bobref said:

Nailed it. And most GM's seem like they rather buy the $50K Ford and spend money elsewhere. Honestly, sometimes they get just as much producton out of the $25K used Pinto than the $100K Mercedes. I would be interest in seeing the Top 20 RB's by overall statistical category from last year and their comps as well as where they are in percentile of total NFL players. 

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

Nailed it. And most GM's seem like they rather buy the $50K Ford and spend money elsewhere. Honestly, sometimes they get just as much producton out of the $25K used Pinto than the $100K Mercedes. I would be interest in seeing the Top 20 RB's by overall statistical category from last year and their comps as well as where they are in percentile of total NFL players. 

not disagreeing....but I guess I am old school....I sure miss the days of dominant backs such as Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Franco Harris, Larry Csonka, John Riggins, Marshall Faulk, Eric Dickerson, Emmitt Smith, Earl Campbell, Edgerrin James, Marcus Allen, OJ Simpson, Tony Dorsett, etc.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Colts QB of the future Anthony Richardson needs to learn the slide.  He's dealing with real men trying to make a living now.,

And nobody cares about the offensive linemen:  https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2023/09/19/colts-qb-anthony-richardson-suffered-concussion-and-so-did-ryan-kelly/70885664007/

Ryan Kelly suffered a concussion, too.

Maybe you missed it. Maybe that’s our fault. Maybe it’s mine. We were so overwhelmed by the news Sunday that Colts quarterback Anthony Richardson had suffered a concussion in the first half of the Colts’ 31-20 victory at Houston, we mostly glossed over – OK, we mostly ignored – the same injury in the same half suffered by the guy who snaps him the ball.

You can understand. We live in a star culture, and there is no bigger star in this town than the quarterback of the Indianapolis Colts. And when that star leaves his second NFL game with a concussion that in real time nobody saw – nobody even suspected – it’s a big deal.

----

4 hours ago, Muda69 said:

I may be wrong, but given Kelly's job,  guessing he will remain in the protocol longer before he clears.  Head banging every play....

Edited by Bash Riprock

15 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Nice win, 22-19, for the underdog Colts against the Ravens today.  It took some epic FG's but they got the job done.

I thought they had given it away with the 4th down call in OT....but the D did a great job yesterday.  Was happy for the team and especially Minshew.  He took some serious hits during the game....tough dude.

On 9/25/2023 at 10:39 AM, Bash Riprock said:

I thought they had given it away with the 4th down call in OT....but the D did a great job yesterday.  Was happy for the team and especially Minshew.  He took some serious hits during the game....tough dude.

IMO, Minshew didn't get enough credit for managing the game quite nicely.  He was overshadowed by the defense and the special teams/FG team, especially Matt Gay's record performance.  And don't forget the Colts played without center Ryan Kelly too.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Nice comeback by the Colts today, being down 20-0 at halftime and getting it to OT at 23.  Too bad the Rams woke up in OT.

Was great to see former Center Grove standout Russ Yeast having an excellent game as a starting safety for the Rams.

• Like 1

Another nice win for the Colts, and another injury for Anthony Richardson.  He left in the 2nd quarter with a right shoulder injury.  The Colts are quite lucky to have signed Gardner Minshew in the off season.  He's a decent game manager.  Colts 23, Tennessee 16. Also Zack Moss ran for 165 yards on 19 carries.  Career best yardage for Moss.

14 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Another nice win for the Colts, and another injury for Anthony Richardson.  He left in the 2nd quarter with a right shoulder injury.  The Colts are quite lucky to have signed Gardner Minshew in the off season.  He's a decent game manager.  Colts 23, Tennessee 16. Also Zack Moss ran for 165 yards on 19 carries.  Career best yardage for Moss.

Looks like Richardson out at least a month....stinks for his needed development.  I know he was drafted for his dual threat abilities....but would seem like a trend as this is his 3rd injury this season...all when running the football.

Agree completely with Minshew comments....I would say both Minshew and Zaire Franklin are Colts MVP's so far this season.  Also hats off to Moss and Gay for their serious contributions this season.  Moss had 195 total yds yesterday.