Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Notre Dame 2023

Bobref

14 minutes ago, BTF said:

That's a possibility, but............

Isn't it easier for the defensive coordinator to spot a man short on the field from the press box than it is for the head coach from the sideline? Doesn't really matter in the end I guess, apparently he knew and opted not to put anyone in. 

That is what a coach said on fox post game coverage that no one on sideline can spot a shortage from field level near goal line 

2 hours ago, Irishman said:

In that spot, you run his ass onto the field. I don’t care if it is a penalty or not, you have GOT to have 11. So you give them a yard. You have stopped the, before in short yardage. 

Having 10 on the field is just inexcusable; and the fact they ran into the same situation earlier in the game is ridiculous. Legitimate question though; if Freeman has the 11th guy run out onto the field with 3 second left basically guaranteeing a penalty. Wouldn't that give OSU 2 opportunities to score? They would have a "free play" and then could just decline the penalty if they did score. Then they would have a 2nd chance a few inches closer if they didn't score on the first play and the penalty was enforced. Maybe I'm wrong but, isn't that how it would go? 

10 minutes ago, npcougar15 said:

Having 10 on the field is just inexcusable; and the fact they ran into the same situation earlier in the game is ridiculous. Legitimate question though; if Freeman has the 11th guy run out onto the field with 3 second left basically guaranteeing a penalty. Wouldn't that give OSU 2 opportunities to score? They would have a "free play" and then could just decline the penalty if they did score. Then they would have a 2nd chance a few inches closer if they didn't score on the first play and the penalty was enforced. Maybe I'm wrong but, isn't that how it would go? 

It's a dead ball foul if a guy runs on. Plus there was just time for 1 play on the clock. Regardless, the best chance of winning is with 11 on the field. And if he were really paying attention, it would have been a moot point. Run him on once the 2nd down play was over. 

39 minutes ago, BTF said:

What about the 1 million a year I'm paying my coordinator. The least he can do is coordinate the defense with 11 guys on the field..................geeesh. 

Trust me. If I'm the head coach, I'm pointing the finger and me and asking what I could have done better. But damn, you hire a staff for a reason. 

C'mon. 

I agree, but the buck stops with the head coach.  He is the CEO.

$5 million a year and they failed to ask him if he could count to 11 in his job interview?

Obviously joking, but that is a middle school level coaching mistake…

Edited by temptation

:07 left OSU goes with 12 personnel which means ND puts Kiser in and Harper out. Rubio, JJT, Cross, Mills on field
11 players are on field. 
ND calls time out. Puts Harper in (goes nickel)and takes Kiser out. Believe also means Botelho in for Rubio. Rubio is out and Some reason Botelho does not take field. Only have 10 on field. Incomplete pass. OSU puts in new RB, ref stops snap to give ND opportunity for personnel changes….37 seconds pass …no personnel changes for ND. (Why Bertrand, Liufau, or dline doesnt recognize no 11th guy for :37 secs and 20 coaches watching is anyone’s guess )….TD

:37

and Freeman states he knew he had 10. 🤔

Edited by RingLeader
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

It was a tough loss for the Irish!  One thing that some of you are overlooking it that it took tOSU 2 plays to barely score against only 10 Irish defenders.😉

Well the first play was a quick out to Harrison, so the ten really had no impact  on the first play. 
OSU apparently noticed the shortage and ND did not in spite of Freeman’s pathetic answer where he didn’t want a penalty.  
Notre Dame is not the place for young first time HC’s to cut their teeth. 

• Like 1

On 9/24/2023 at 12:23 AM, Footballking16 said:

Coaching malpractice by Freeman. It’s exactly why so many people questioned his hire. Forget the last 2 plays where they only had 10 players on the field, it doesn’t even get to that point if ND doesn’t throw the ball and a subsequent incompletion on 2nd down the drive before. Remember, OSU was called for intentional grounding with 15 seconds left and was able to call a TO they shouldn’t have had to prevent a 10 second runoff. They ended up running 4 more plays instead of snapping the ball at the 20 with 5 seconds left. 

Failure

Plus, isn't Freeman's background prior to ND known as a defensive coach??  Considered a pretty good one.  I agree.....not sure how one with the D pedigree doesn't notice playing a man short.  (or anyone else for that matter)

But, all of this is a moot point had the ND DB made the interception a couple of players earlier with the ball going through both hands.....

Coach Freeman will do a good job at Notre Dame eventually.  The worst play wasn't the last one, it was 4th and one in the first half, iirc, that Hartman attempted a QB sneak, He had one of the biggest, baddest running backs in the Country to give the ball too and didn't.

Anyway, it gives more importance to this week's game at Duke, and Duke is no slouch this season.

But It seems that the Irish did make a lot of fans happy last Saturday.

On 9/24/2023 at 6:58 PM, PHJIrish said:

It was a tough loss for the Irish!  One thing that some of you are overlooking it that it took tOSU 2 plays to barely score against only 10 Irish defenders.😉

LOL…

https://x.com/tbhorka/status/1698680272898662859?s=42&t=ix922iiBSh3w9GxxMUGoWw

IMG_0525.png

Edited by temptation

On 9/24/2023 at 1:15 PM, Footballking16 said:

Somebody from OSU sure as hell spotted it. They ran right where the missing defensive lineman should have been.

Eh, Inside Zone was designed to go wherever there is an opening. Unfortunately ND left a huge opening on that side. They would have ran that same play if there was 10, 11, or 12 players. 

The only part of the game I didn't like from the Irish was the 3rd and 19 prevent looking defense from the 25 yard line. Free releases for all the receivers, guys covering grass not a man, and the ball ends up on the 2 or 3 yard line. I, in general, can't stand prevent defense. Isn't every defense a prevent defense. The object of any defensive look is to prevent the team from scoring. So play your Cover 1 and 2 high safety man under look you've played all night that has only allowed 10 points the first 59 minutes of this game and get off the field. You've recruited dawgs to go out in games like this and be dawgs. Let the be dawgs. Anyone can lineup from 5 yards from the goal line and stand in one spot. Just my personal opinion on prevent defense, not necessarily the Irish.

Can someone with more football expertise that I explain to me how the supposed elite ND offensive line had Hartman running for his life last night?

Admittedly, I was a bit hydrated, celebrating my Wolverines victory earlier in the day, but it seemed like every time I looked up at the screen, Hartman was being chased around like a hound dog was chasing a rabbit.

But it didn’t look like the Duke front four were the ones getting the pressure.

Edited by temptation

15 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Nice win for the Irish!  Hartman didn't have his best game, but he came through when the game was on the line.  Estime is a beast, a fast one too!  It was cool to see Hartman wait outside the "injury tent" to greet injured Duke QB Leonard!

Heck of a 4th down run by Hartman on that final drive.  Duke is much improved.  

• Like 1

On 10/2/2023 at 12:51 PM, Bash Riprock said:

Heck of a 4th down run by Hartman on that final drive.  Duke is much improved.  

No doubt about Duke being much improved, they're good!  Hartman and Estime's runs were epic.  I just hope the Irish don't have another late game decision this week.  It's tough on a fan of my age!

• Like 2

On 10/1/2023 at 9:53 AM, temptation said:

Can someone with more football expertise that I explain to me how the supposed elite ND offensive line had Hartman running for his life last night?

Admittedly, I was a bit hydrated, celebrating my Wolverines victory earlier in the day, but it seemed like every time I looked up at the screen, Hartman was being chased around like a hound dog was chasing a rabbit.

But it didn’t look like the Duke front four were the ones getting the pressure.

He was running around a lot, but Duke was bringing pressure too it seemed. Mike Elko is great coach especially on defense and did a good job of moving guys around and coming from different places..

What was more frustrating was how easily the Duke front just stopped the Irish run game. Really, besides the long td run, hartmans run, and fake punt there wasn’t any running game. Credit to Duke but expected more from the irish run game. Even going into the season I wouldn’t call the o line elite, very good certainly, but at the halfway point they’ve been inconsistent for sure. And if they had trouble with dukes front they’ll definitely have trouble with Clemsons front.

Let’s get past Louisville and get ready for the high flying stopping nobody Trojans 

12 hours ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

This is pretty cool if you didn’t see it,  unless you’re a Duke fan I guess. 

Wow...outstanding!  Hartman's eyes..especially on the 4th down run....love how he lowers his shoulder...no slide...he was going to get the yds he needed.  Dang!

6 hours ago, temptation said:

ND's schedule looks a lot more formidable than it seemed back in August...

A real chance to climb back into things.

Got a pretty good Louisville team to deal with this weekend. But it’s hard not to look ahead to our blood enemy.

image.thumb.png.77841157c066346dfe238a51bbb7344f.png

• Haha 1