Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Sectional 24 Thread

Let’s see what surprising matchups will happen tomorrow night!

Some notes:

Memorial is 2x defending sectional champion, a loss in the sectional drops Memorial down to 3A in 2024

Reitz is looking to gets its first sectional title in 7 years (2016)

Jasper is trying to get its first sectional title in a decade (2013)

BNL is the newcomer in the sectional this season

Welcome to sectional draw day. I say it will work like this:

Reitz, Jasper, BNL (top 3 in Sagarin) plus Boonville will wind up in one half of the bracket. Memorial, Bosse, Harrison, and Central wind up in the other half of the bracket. 

Bracket prediction:

Reitz @ BNL

Jasper @ Boonville

Bosse @ Harrison

Memorial @ Central

If bracketed according to Sagarin:

Central @ Reitz

Boonville @ Memorial

Bosse @ BNL

Harrison @ Jasper

Good luck everyone  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

Welcome to the party, BNL.  Does Damon Bailey still play for them?  Is Brett Szabo their coach? 

I know nothing about them, obviously. 

5-3 on the season, 4-1 in their conference. They have had some pretty close loses this season, looks like they primarily run the ball with 3 different players. Their QB doesn’t appear too accurate but 910 yards and 11/1, he also runs a lot too (9 total Rushing TD). 

Stats (offense/defense)

34.4 PPG/18.4 PPG

321.3 YPG

Passing: 130 YPG

Rushing: 191.3 YPG

Edited by TigerFan20

Pretty straight forward drawing I thought. Reitz will be looking for revenge from last season....poor Boonville.

BNL beats Harrison, Reitz beats Boonville, Memorial beats Central, Jasper beats Bosse.

Jasper beats Memorial, Reitz beats BNL.

Jasper vs Reitz at Jasper in the championship is my prediction right now. 

SECTIONAL 24
  SECT REGN SEMI STATE
Evansville Reitz 38.47% 13.12% 5.97% 2.75%
Bedford North Lawrence 33.71% 9.26% 3.43% 1.29%
Evansville Memorial 14.30% 2.05% .39% .08%
Jasper 8.52% 1.16% .21% .04%
Boonville 3.21% .45% .08% .02%
Evansville Bosse 1.78% .14% .01%  
Evansville Harrison .02%      
Evansville Central .01%  

8 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:
SECTIONAL 24
  SECT REGN SEMI STATE
Evansville Reitz 38.47% 13.12% 5.97% 2.75%
Bedford North Lawrence 33.71% 9.26% 3.43% 1.29%
Evansville Memorial 14.30% 2.05% .39% .08%
Jasper 8.52% 1.16% .21% .04%
Boonville 3.21% .45% .08% .02%
Evansville Bosse 1.78% .14% .01%  
Evansville Harrison .02%      
Evansville Central .01%  

I know Memorial is still 6-2 and all that but after seeing the tape on them from last Friday, I do not see how they have a higher percentage to win the sectional than Jasper. I think Jasper is able to handle them this time around when they meet in round 2.

This sectional reaffirms my thoughts that the SIAC needs to be two divisions to allow the teams to play some non-conference games. So this sectional isn't several repeat of games from the regular season. The entire bottom half and the championship (most likely) game will all be rematches from the regular season.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, FootballFan2000 said:

This sectional reaffirms my thoughts that the SIAC needs to be two divisions to allow the teams to play some non-conference games. So this sectional isn't several repeat of games from the regular season. The entire bottom half and the championship (most likely) game will all be rematches from the regular season.  

Completely agree. If they don’t want to have two specific divisions, they could always have a rotating schedule. Or the previous years record could determine if you are in one class or another. Anything besides what we currently have. I want Southridge and HH games back. 

9 minutes ago, combthehair said:

Completely agree. If they don’t want to have two specific divisions, they could always have a rotating schedule. Or the previous years record could determine if you are in one class or another. Anything besides what we currently have. I want Southridge and HH games back. 

Allow Central and Harrison to schedule some more winnable games to build confidence and momentum within their programs. That is how they can build themselves back up. Going 0-10, 1-9, 2-8 every season does not make HS students want to join the team. I understand there are other things that contribute to the success or failures of a program but generating excitement brings more kids out. 

• Like 1

Regarding the draw it looks fair.  Jasper cannot overlook Bosse or it will be another round one exit for Jasper.

This sectional being a SIAC redux is just an unfortunate result of geography and class mix.  Memorial and Bosse are both on the cusp of 3A and that would change the look of this sectional quite a bit.

Regarding the conference:  I'm a fan of a system that improves competitive scheduling.  The cyclical nature of the sport makes that difficult to do without promotion/relegation or strength of schedule based scheduling.  Overall, I find the conference to be competitive and balanced.  Four teams make up the bottom.  One of them is defending 2A state champ MD, one is Central who just three years ago was conference champ, and one is Bosse who has given fits to most teams they have played this year.  The other, (Harrison) beat Jasper last year, so I'm not running them down.  Just a couple years ago Vincennes was trying to leave the conference for competitive reasons and now they are a week nine win away from finishing second in the conference.  That's how it goes in a deep, competitive conference like the SIAC.

I love being a closed conference.  Would I change the schedule to make it more competitive?  Yes.  Would I go back to the schedule Jasper had four years ago?  No.

Edited by Alduflux
  • Like 1

On 10/8/2023 at 1:38 PM, oldtimeqb said:

Welcome to the party, BNL.  Does Damon Bailey still play for them?  Is Brett Szabo their coach? 

I know nothing about them, obviously. 

Thanks for having us.

I think his eligibility expired a few years back.

Derrick Barker is the man at the helm.

As far as the new sectional, some of the boys were disappointed they wouldn't get another shot at Martinsville.  Personally, I'm not upset about not seeing EC in a sectional game.

As for the draw, I'm good with it.  We have a winnable game away.  If that does happen, then we'll at least have Reitz in Bedford.  Although it would've been nice to watch the boys play in the Bowl.

1 hour ago, LawrenceGreene said:

As far as the new sectional, some of the boys were disappointed they wouldn't get another shot at Martinsville.  Personally, I'm not upset about not seeing EC in a sectional game.

As for the draw, I'm good with it.  We have a winnable game away.  If that does happen, then we'll at least have Reitz in Bedford.  Although it would've been nice to watch the boys play in the Bowl.

You have a better chance of beating them at your place than at Reitz Bowl. Do you have natural grass or turf? If its natural grass, it might good if it rains really hard in Bedford  all week leading up to the game (if you know what I mean) so the field is a sloppy quagmire of a mess. 

37 minutes ago, tango said:

You have a better chance of beating them at your place than at Reitz Bowl. Do you have natural grass or turf? If its natural grass, it might good if it rains really hard in Bedford  all week leading up to the game (if you know what I mean) so the field is a sloppy quagmire of a mess. 

They switched over to turf a couple of years ago

6 minutes ago, LawrenceGreene said:

We have to beat Harrison first.   Then we'll work on the thumbtack acquisition.

Harrison has a beast of a TE that is generally under-utilized and another player or two who can be dangerous, but a disciplined team should have no trouble with them.