Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Bears 2023

Bobref

10 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Bears were up 10-0 when I last looked.  It's on a streamer, and I can only get that one on one TV at home here.  My wife gets her time with that TV now.

Speaking of streaming, Peacock needs to step their game up. I have You Tube TV and it's so easy to fast forward through the stoppage of play on a recorded game and not miss action. I didn't catch the Purdue/Illinois (Peacock only) game live and went back to watch it on demand. It's impossible to fast forward between plays or stops in action. You inevitably miss 1 or 2 plays while doing so. 

• Like 1

Getsy starting to earn his paycheck last 2 weeks, getting ball out and 1 read off PA action for the QB to play free and clear, same kudos to FLUS, who finally realized with such a young/back up back end of your defense, you better bring pressures all night to get them some sort of help.  

Fun game, but also, could be Washington could be just be that bad

Also, goes without saying, but will anyways:  RIP #51

On 10/8/2023 at 3:45 AM, Coach Nowlin said:

Getsy starting to earn his paycheck last 2 weeks, getting ball out and 1 read off PA action for the QB to play free and clear, same kudos to FLUS, who finally realized with such a young/back up back end of your defense, you better bring pressures all night to get them some sort of help.  

Fun game, but also, could be Washington could be just be that bad

Also, goes without saying, but will anyways:  RIP #51

Bingo.  No way I'm sold yet, and neither should all Bears fans.

And of course a Dick Butkus kicking Green Bay's butt by himself picture:

image.jpeg.807dcc816eff75ca32f6825e9fb0e8ec.jpeg

My dad played in the Chicago Public League for Schurz HS when Butkus was on the Southside at Vacational. He said even in HS Butkus was feared man.

Regarding the Beloved, Washington's D may stink as much as Denver's, but at least the Bears fully exploited it. That shows some kind of progress is being made. And Fields is looking more comfortable. On to the Vikings with potentially a 3rd string RB and a beat up OL. 

On 10/9/2023 at 10:01 AM, Gipper said:

I was listening to either 670 AM (the Score) or 1000 AM (ESPN) on Saturday and the announcers were of the mindset the Bears aren't actually all that bad.

Probably average at best. I think we saw in the first few weeks the aftershock of a combination of the following: 

1. Injury plagued OL
  2. Nate Davis not ready mentally for the start of the season after the death of his mother
  3. Getsy not having a good game plan for Fields
  4. Flus not beging aggressive enough on D
  5. Flus not taking exhibition games serious enough

At this point it's all about figuring out if FIelds is the answer and what to do with the 2 1st round picks. If Fields is the future the Bears could be in line to once again trade the #1 overall pick or even the 2nd pick depending on where Carolina lands to teams desperate for Williams or Maye.

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Does Jim Harbaugh come with 2 top 5 picks?? 

Asking for a friend 

Hopefully! Yikes. That was awful. Like they didn’t prepare at all for the blitz packages the Vikings would bring. Flores is notorious for pressuring young QB’s. I heard they blitzed on 72% of plays. And Fields regressed to holding onto the ball forever and missing open WR’s. Probably rolling with Pagent next week. At least he gets the ball out quickly. That INT at the end though, man, that was brutal. 1st down in a potential game winning drive and he throws a wounded duck jump ball. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Boilernation said:

Hopefully! Yikes. That was awful. Like they didn’t prepare at all for the blitz packages the Vikings would bring. Flores is notorious for pressuring young QB’s. I heard they blitzed on 72% of plays. And Fields regressed to holding onto the ball forever and missing open WR’s. Probably rolling with Pagent next week. At least he gets the ball out quickly. That INT at the end though, man, that was brutal. 1st down in a potential game winning drive and he throws a wounded duck jump ball. 

Agree 100%. Such an awful ending 

Don’t clamor for Tyson Bagent just yet, Bears fans: https://deadspin.com/don-t-clamber-for-tyson-bagent-just-yet-bears-fans-1850948818

If I didn’t know better, I’d say the Bears are on the brink of the only situation in which Bears fans feel truly comfortable and safe: A good, old-fashioned quarterback controversy. Tyson Bagent, who even Bears fans had never heard of before he spelled an injured Justin Fields last week, led the Bears to their second win of the season, taking down the Raiders 30-12. Bagent threw for 162 yards and a touchdown, and while he deserves all the credit for dragging the Bears to a dub, today’s win had much more to do with the Raiders’ incompetence against the run than the Bears discovering their next franchise QB.

The Raiders are 21st in the league in defending the rush, and Chicago took advantage today, with two of their three offensive TDs coming via the run. Las Vegas also had to play with Brian Hoyer under center, as starting QB Jimmy Garoppolo was sidelined with a back injury.

“Why can’t Justin Fields do this?” Bears fans on social media asked. “Why are we paying Justin Fields so much when Tyson Bagent can do the exact same thing?” “Trade Fields and keep Bagent!” one friend texted me. And sure, Bagent’s numbers from his first NFL start are similar to those we’ve seen from Fields the last two years. Fields is usually good for around 200 yards and a couple of passing TDs. His passer and QB ratings thus far in 2023 are 91.6 and 40.4 (if you take out the game where he was injured last week, his QBR is closer to 78), respectively. That’s far less than what the Bears hoped to get out of Fields by this point in his career, but how much of that is on Fields and how much is on the organization that hasn’t developed a franchise QB in many fans’ lifetimes? From Mike Ditka’s staff to Matt Eberflus’, Chicago has never drafted a QB that lived up to even reasonable expectations.

The Bears used their top draft pick on Fields in 2021, and the former Ohio St. QB became the latest in a long tradition of highly-touted college QBs who turned out to be terrifically average (or below average) under the tutelage of the Bears’ offensive staff. No matter who wears the headset for Chicago, there is something about this team that does not allow QBs with raw talent to succeed. While Bears fans rightfully lament the team being so laser-focused on Mitch Trubisky that they passed on Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson (before all the uh… unpleasantness), it’s hard to imagine Mahomes being the MVP-caliber QB he is under the guidance the Chicago Bears’ various offensive gurus down through the years.

This is what the Bears offense is. It allows plenty of room for failure, but has a low ceiling when it comes to success. It’s too limited, too lacking in creativity. It tries to force every QB into the same mold (even across different coaching regimes) from Jay Cutler to Mitch Trubisky to Justin Fields, no matter their individual strengths. For a single season in 2018, Bears fans were treated to ridiculously creative offensive play-calling, which featured not only fun play names like “Willy Wonka,” “Fridge Left,” “Oompa Loompa,” and “Santa’s Sleigh,” but trick plays that actually worked. The Bears finished ninth in the NFL in total scoring that season, and Bears fans thought there was finally an offensive-minded coach at the helm.

The next season, in 2019, the Bears finished 24th in scoring and things only got worse from there, until Matt Nagy was removed and replaced with Eberflus. This year, the Bears hover around the middle of the NFL pack in scoring, despite their 2-5 record.

Then there’s the perennially sub-par offensive line, which hasn’t featured anyone worth celebrating since 2018, when both Charles Leno and Cody Whitehair went to the Pro Bowl, and as mentioned above, that year was an outlier.

When you look at Justin Fields, it’s hard to imagine that this is all he’s capable of. Fans see flashes of what he could be every now and then, when Fields uses his legs to extend a play and then zips one into the red zone for a big gain. But the Bears’ offense simply does not allow him to do it very often. Even Fields felt constrained by the play-calling, saying back in September that the coaching caused him to be “robotic,” even if he immediately took a right back.

If fans are wondering if there’s a quarterback controversy between Bagent and Fields (and my God, I’ve never been happier to be out of sports radio than the thought of that subject dominating the call-in lines for the next week), they’re asking the wrong question. The problem is not why Tyson Bagent was able to play like a poor man’s Justin Fields this week. The real question is what it is about the Chicago Bears that constantly dooms their top quarterback picks to NFL mediocrity? Because until the team figures that out, they can draft all the high-ranked QBs they want — it will never matter.

Agreed.  

And a big F-You to WXIN Fox 59 for once again pre-empting the Bear-Readers game to instead air reruns of Modern Family just because the Colts had a home game that was being broadcast on CBS. 

Just now, Muda69 said:

Don’t clamor for Tyson Bagent just yet, Bears fans: https://deadspin.com/don-t-clamber-for-tyson-bagent-just-yet-bears-fans-1850948818

Agreed.  

And a big F-You to WXIN Fox 59 for once again pre-empting the Bear-Readers game to instead air reruns of Modern Family just because the Colts had a home game that was being broadcast on CBS. 

That is an NFL regulation, not up to Fox59.

17 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

If this is the case then it's a stupid, nonsensical regulation, especially when the Colts game is a sellout.

It has been that way since the NFL was on TV. In the Indy area since 1984, since there was no home market team in Indianapolis before that. We were forced to watch the Bears every. single. week. That's how I became a Bengals fan.

21 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

It has been that way since the NFL was on TV. In the Indy area since 1984, since there was no home market team in Indianapolis before that. We were forced to watch the Bears every. single. week. That's how I became a Bengals fan.

I'm sorry.

On 10/23/2023 at 8:50 AM, Muda69 said:

Agreed.  

Want to hear something worst last year the bulls Vikes were playing and it was a thrilling game, the game when Jefferson caught one one like 4th and 18. Well guess what I also have Sunday ticket, they took the Vikes bills ending for raiders at 1am pacific time. Well I put on Sunday ticket to catch end of Vikes bills, guess what it says nope blacked out check your local programming. No more Sunday ticket this year after that.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

It's unbelievable how the Bears can find different ways to lose games.

If there was ever a game that looked like it was staged by the NFL/MSM "powers that be" it was this one.  That or Goff was able to shake off his hangover/high just in time.

13 hours ago, Muda69 said:

If there was ever a game that looked like it was staged by the NFL/MSM "powers that be" it was this one.  That or Goff was able to shake off his hangover/high just in time.

More proof that it ain't over 'till it's over, especially when the Bears are involved.  Or maybe the "legal" betting parlors wished the Lions to the win.

• Like 1