HNAC Sectionals

Knox at Lakeland, 7:30 pm
Andrean at LaVille, 7:30 pm
Winamac at Central Catholic, 7 pm
Pioneer at North Judson, 7:30 pm
Triton at North Newton, 7:30 pm
Culver at South Central, 7:30 pm
Caston at North White, 7 pm

How many HNAC teams have a reasonable shot to be sectional champs?  It appears that all but Triton have tough games in the first round!

I'm really intrigued by these two Pioneer / North Judson matchups.  I don't think there's any reason for either team to hold anything back for next week.  They have played each other enough to know what the other team wants to do.  

I am wondering if these two might look to move their regular season game to a week earlier in the season next year when the conference adds two new opponents.  It's certainly not ideal to play a team two weeks in a row.  And this would be a good time to switch things up.  Does anyone know if next year's schedules are firmed up yet?

19 minutes ago, FinePrint said:

I'm really intrigued by these two Pioneer / North Judson matchups.  I don't think there's any reason for either team to hold anything back for next week.  They have played each other enough to know what the other team wants to do.  

I am wondering if these two might look to move their regular season game to a week earlier in the season next year when the conference adds two new opponents.  It's certainly not ideal to play a team two weeks in a row.  And this would be a good time to switch things up.  Does anyone know if next year's schedules are firmed up yet?

North White has a very good team, I think they're undefeated.  It's good to see vintage MWC matchups, though.

3 hours ago, Gipper said:

North White has a very good team, I think they're undefeated.  It's good to see vintage MWC matchups, though.

Caston strength is their 4 linebackers.

All of them are really good and the two inside are dudes.

Very good against the run and I could see them giving North White some problems. 

If I were Pioneer or Judson I would be very careful to make sure your team is healthy for the sectional game next Friday.  It’s VERY hard to beat a similar quality team twice in a year let alone back to back weeks!  I would say whoever wins this Friday is now the underdog for next Friday!

3 minutes ago, Oldschool said:

If I were Pioneer or Judson I would be very careful to make sure your team is healthy for the sectional game next Friday.  It’s VERY hard to beat a similar quality team twice in a year let alone back to back weeks!  I would say whoever wins this Friday is now the underdog for next Friday!

Hard to be get healthy/save kids when you're already thin to start...

• Like 2

Pioneer led 6-0, Judson led 19-12 at half

Judson ran for 227 yds

Pioneer ran for 209

Judson 2-3 passing TD

Pioneer 0-5 with 2 interceptions

Pioneer also fumbled key punt return. 

Stats don’t tell the whole story. Weather definite factor for both teams playing a little vanilla.

Judson far and away tougher team physically. Pioneer just not there physically and cannot afford silly turnovers.  

Knox at Lakeland- Knox is too disciplined. Think they win this game and win out until they meet Hanover in Regionals.
Andrean at LaVille- I think LaVille can take them this year but it won't be easy. 15-14
Winamac at Central Catholic- CC wins easily. 48-6
Pioneer at North Judson-  NJ pulls this one out. Pioneer looks to come out more physical than last time but having Sanchez and Kozecar clog the middle is the difference maker. 32-16
Triton at North Newton- Triton picks a score and starts prep for the top side of the bracket. 56-0
Culver at South Central- Culver wants a win. 24-22
Caston at North White-  Caston gets the revenge and the upset! 21-14

I watched the film of the Pioneer / Judson game.  It looked like it was pretty sloppy, both the wet field and the undisciplined play.  Lots of penalties on both sides!  And the turnovers hurt Pioneer.  Hopefully both teams can play a little cleaner game this week.

I'm hoping this is LaVille's year to get past the 59ers!  

• Thanks 1

Knox @ Lakeland- I think its a matter of when not if, the Knox Football team's weak schedule catches up to them... but its not this week.

Andrean @ LaVille- Andrean is not the same Andrean of the last few years, but their schedule has prepped them for the 2A postseason.

Winamac @ Central Catholic- Knights win big over the Warriors. Has Winamac gotten better or have they just hit the soft spot of their schedule?

Triton @ North Newton- Trojans get healthy for a couple weeks while they start prepping for Judson or Pioneer in the sectional championship.

Culver @ SCUM- Satellites win the rematch from earlier in the season over the lowly Cavaliers.

Caston @ North White- Taking the Comets here as they look for their first sectional win since 2020.

Pioneer @ Judson- The difference in this game to me is which Pioneer team shows up? Will it be the turnover prone, mental mistake team we saw last week, or the Panthers that were aggressive and confident the other half of the year? Judson is a well coached and quality team that will make few mental mistakes and take care of the ball. If the Panthers have 3-4 turnovers like they did last Friday they will be dribbling basketballs next week. As another poster mentioned, both teams were more vanilla than usual last week with the weather conditions, which suited Judson. I expect the young Panthers to come out swinging this Friday and win in a tight one.

8 hours ago, FarmerFran said:

Knox @ Lakeland- I think its a matter of when not if, the Knox Football team's weak schedule catches up to them... but its not this week.

Andrean @ LaVille- Andrean is not the same Andrean of the last few years, but their schedule has prepped them for the 2A postseason.

Winamac @ Central Catholic- Knights win big over the Warriors. Has Winamac gotten better or have they just hit the soft spot of their schedule?

Triton @ North Newton- Trojans get healthy for a couple weeks while they start prepping for Judson or Pioneer in the sectional championship.

Culver @ SCUM- Satellites win the rematch from earlier in the season over the lowly Cavaliers.

Caston @ North White- Taking the Comets here as they look for their first sectional win since 2020.

Pioneer @ Judson- The difference in this game to me is which Pioneer team shows up? Will it be the turnover prone, mental mistake team we saw last week, or the Panthers that were aggressive and confident the other half of the year? Judson is a well coached and quality team that will make few mental mistakes and take care of the ball. If the Panthers have 3-4 turnovers like they did last Friday they will be dribbling basketballs next week. As another poster mentioned, both teams were more vanilla than usual last week with the weather conditions, which suited Judson. I expect the young Panthers to come out swinging this Friday and win in a tight one.

What is weak about Knox schedule? Besides the conferences teams, they play John Glenn and Maconaquah. Both with winning records. 6 out of the nine teams they played had winning records. They say Knox is 3a. Yet there's only 38 kids on the team. So what makes there schedule stronger? 

1 hour ago, Madvamp said:

What is weak about Knox schedule? Besides the conferences teams, they play John Glenn and Maconaquah. Both with winning records. 6 out of the nine teams they played had winning records. They say Knox is 3a. Yet there's only 38 kids on the team. So what makes there schedule stronger? 

Knox’s schedule is weak for a 3A team. It is a fact. They are currently in a conference comprised of only 1A and 2A opponents. According to Sagarin, they have the 182nd toughest schedule in the state. There is only one other team in the top 20 of 3A with a weaker schedule. Knox is a good football team. They are well coached and disciplined. However, the fact remains that their schedule does not prepare them for the 3A tournament. I think it is great move for them to make a move to the new conference. 

20 minutes ago, FarmerFran said:

Knox’s schedule is weak for a 3A team. It is a fact. They are currently in a conference comprised of only 1A and 2A opponents. According to Sagarin, they have the 182nd toughest schedule in the state. There is only one other team in the top 20 of 3A with a weaker schedule. Knox is a good football team. They are well coached and disciplined. However, the fact remains that their schedule does not prepare them for the 3A tournament. I think it is great move for them to make a move to the new conference. 

I see what your saying, I just don't get  what makes them a 3 a school.  There's 38 boys on the team.  Guess we will find out starting this Friday if they're any good. Thanks for the reply. 

Looking at the HNAC sectional schedule, 3 or 4 games that I think most of all of us are going probably going to be intrigued by. 

Knox at Lakeland

Lakeland seemed like they started the season off pretty strong. The loss to Garrett, if I am not mistaken, is a pretty big rivalry, and was a bad loss, tough loss against West Noble, and a bad loss to Blufton on a rainy night. I think consistency is going to be the key for this game. Knox has shown consistency throughout the season. Knox did what they should have against the formidable and smaller schools. Knox's 3 back look is a killer and keeps defenses guessing. Knox 42 Lakeland 28 

Andrean and LaVille

Don't let the 59er's record deceive you. Although they are down this year, their schedule has been brutal playing 3A Chatard, 5A Merriville, 5A Valpo, and other very quality opponents. I think the speed they have played in their opponents only helps them. The Lancer's have a bad taste in their mouth and it has been heard that all they want is to get back at this team. LaVille has to play perfect and fast because Andrean will take advantage if LaVille has a slow start. I am confident that the Lancers can stand tall, but one turnover could be the end of their season. Laville 24 Andrean 21

Winamac at LCC

Winamac should stand tall and keep their heads up. They went through a lot of changes over the season and had a lot of growing pains. They finally put some things together, but they just do not have enough to contend with LCC. LCC 49 Winamac 0

Culver at South Central

This game is kinda interesting to me from the standpoint that the first matchup was 44-22. I think Culver could keep it interesting, but in the same token, I just don't think they have the fire power and unfortunately that hurts the Cavs. I don't know how much South Central has improved, but they should really use this game to fine tune their blocking in both the passing and running game. I don't think they can afford to have their QB running all over the field on top of the running backs having no where to go. SCUM 35 Culver 22

Caston at North White

100% giving this game to the underdogs. 14-6 last meeting. Caston is grinding their teeth this week. Caston 20 North White 14

Pioneer at North Judson 

This game is a hard pick. I said it above and will say I again, Pioneer has to play perfect. Playing at Liberty Field is already tough enough and Pioneer has to have that killer mentality. Judson has the bragging rights right now, but they have to stay humble. I am fifty, but looking at the situation, here is my pick. Judson 21 Pioneer 20 

South Newton 42 Bowman 12

Triton at North Newton

Triton will be on the road longer than actually playing the game (almost 4 total hours of driving Friday). It is a long a road, but the Trojans mean business because it is their time to shine. Triton 56 NN 0

Edited by Trojan67

11 hours ago, Madvamp said:

I see what your saying, I just don't get  what makes them a 3 a school.  There's 38 boys on the team.  Guess we will find out starting this Friday if they're any good. Thanks for the reply. 

I guess you don't understand enrollment numbers? If we use that logic, all Carmel has to do is only allow 25 kids to be on the team and they can be 1a!

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Oldschool said:

It goes by how many students are enrolled in grades 9-12

Then I don't understand why Knox is not 2a. From what I can find it says 3a is 600 plus kids. Knox has been below that for years now. I guess I'm looking in the wrong places. Thanks for the reply. 

29 minutes ago, Madvamp said:

Then I don't understand why Knox is not 2a. From what I can find it says 3a is 600 plus kids. Knox has been below that for years now. I guess I'm looking in the wrong places. Thanks for the reply. 

3a is currently ranging from 790 on the high end to 511 on the low end. Knox is currently at 553 at the last count with 14 schools lower in the class than them in enrollment.