Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Sectional 28: Tippecanoe Valley @ Bishop Chatard

1 hour ago, Tin Cup said:

I bet there's a PP/Public thread for this argument.  Don't need 20 posts about Cathedral's enrollment in a Chatard-Tipp Valley thread.

What kind of offense does TV run?  Are they balanced or heavier in the run/pass?  

They will appear balanced, but they want to run the ball. They will line up in I-formation with a lead fullback at times, and other times they will come out in what looks like a wing-T formation. When they are feeling crazy they will line up in gun sometimes with their normal QB and other times with a wildcat kind of guy. Once they find something they like they will stay in it until you stop them tho. 

1 hour ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

They will appear balanced, but they want to run the ball. They will line up in I-formation with a lead fullback at times, and other times they will come out in what looks like a wing-T formation. When they are feeling crazy they will line up in gun sometimes with their normal QB and other times with a wildcat kind of guy. Once they find something they like they will stay in it until you stop them tho. 

So according to the overwhelming superiority of Chatard espoused in this thread TV will probably only get to run about 4  plays before they run out of options.................

23 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

So according to the overwhelming superiority of Chatard espoused in this thread TV will probably only get to run about 4  plays before they run out of options.................

None of which has come from Chatard supporters.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

Sound strategy, but it amazes me how many teams break off from what is working in a game to what they had in their original plan.  Can't tell you how many teams I've seen have success with the run early, only to abandon it to go to the pass and then get themselves in trouble all of a sudden. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Sound strategy, but it amazes me how many teams break off from what is working in a game to what they had in their original plan.  Can't tell you how many teams I've seen have success with the run early, only to abandon it to go to the pass and then get themselves in trouble all of a sudden. 

Couldn't agree more, if it ain't broke don't try and fix it. If you only have to run 3 plays to win the game, then only run 3 plays to win that game. Coach Moriarty does a great job of this.

• Like 1

Just a note on the level of talent at Chatard. Two years ago their punter was recruited by Oklahoma (he is no longer there). Last year they had two kids go to Dayton. This year Dayton has offered one of their kids and their best athlete is awaiting an offer to a particular D1 school. As is normal, most of their kids who continue playing end up at DePauw or Wabash. They have a receiver from a few years ago who walked on at Perdue and plays but, other than that I think the Martin boys were the last Power 5 recruits that came out of the school.

Their success is based on numbers (which allows them to start very few kids both ways), coaching and being incrementally better than their opponent at enough positions to tilt the scales in the majority of their games. The whole is much better than the parts. That’s what is preached and that is how they play.

There are a lot of kids on the team that will never see meaningful Friday night snaps but being a part of the team is important in the school culture. 

Interesting Note: Chatard’s QB from 2 years ago is at Alma and leads all college football (all levels) in passing efficiency. Caleb Williams is #2

20 minutes ago, Just a dad said:

Just a note on the level of talent at Chatard. Two years ago their punter was recruited by Oklahoma (he is no longer there). Last year they had two kids go to Dayton. This year Dayton has offered one of their kids and their best athlete is awaiting an offer to a particular D1 school. As is normal, most of their kids who continue playing end up at DePauw or Wabash. They have a receiver from a few years ago who walked on at Perdue and plays but, other than that I think the Martin boys were the last Power 5 recruits that came out of the school.

Their success is based on numbers (which allows them to start very few kids both ways), coaching and being incrementally better than their opponent at enough positions to tilt the scales in the majority of their games. The whole is much better than the parts. That’s what is preached and that is how they play.

There are a lot of kids on the team that will never see meaningful Friday night snaps but being a part of the team is important in the school culture. 

Interesting Note: Chatard’s QB from 2 years ago is at Alma and leads all college football (all levels) in passing efficiency. Caleb Williams is #2

Godlovske was a Rimington award finalist a few years back no? Miami OH and then ended at Oklahoma State.

41 minutes ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

Couldn't agree more, if it ain't broke don't try and fix it. If you only have to run 3 plays to win the game, then only run 3 plays to win that game. Coach Moriarty does a great job of this.

That was Heritage Hills back in the glory days.  Not only would we run 3 or 4 plays, lineman would walk to the line and tell them exactly where the ball was going, and say "good luck".  The same play would be run until it was stopped....then run something else, but it typically wasn't stopped.

• Like 2

They’ve had some others…but not a ton.  Matt McCann (‘15) started for Purdue. Danny Godlevske at both Miami of Ohio and Oklahoma State. Both the Solomon’s got D1 rides to Illinois and Tulane, I think. Sid Anvoots (‘12) had a ride to Louisville but got hurt early.  I think I’m missing one or two others.  I think Godlevske and McCann were the only two that started…could be wrong.

As regards this year’s group, I heard or read somewhere that Feeney might have an offer from Ball State.

One of the lamentations on Yappi from the Elder fans last week (aside from the typical “the sky is falling” stuff) was that they were beat badly by a team with no D1 players.  I did note that the Chatard Frosh beat Elder 33-7….which brought on more “the sky is falling” commentary.  I’ve never seen such a bunch of negative fans (except one maybe here on the HHC thread).

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lysander said:

They’ve had some others…but not a ton.  Matt McCann (‘15) started for Purdue. Danny Godlevske at both Miami of Ohio and Oklahoma State. Both the Solomon’s got D1 rides to Illinois and Tulane, I think. Sid Anvoots (‘12) had a ride to Louisville but got hurt early.  I think I’m missing one or two others.  I think Godlevske and McCann were the only two that started…could be wrong.

As regards this year’s group, I heard or read somewhere that Feeney might have an offer from Ball State.

One of the lamentations on Yappi from the Elder fans last week (aside from the typical “the sky is falling” stuff) was that they were beat badly by a team with no D1 players.  I did note that the Chatard Frosh beat Elder 33-7….which brought on more “the sky is falling” commentary.  I’ve never seen such a bunch of negative fans (except one maybe here on the HHC thread).

Love me some Buckeye schadenfreude.

The esteemed Kyle Neddenriep over at the Indianapolis Star has spoken:  https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2023/10/19/indiana-high-school-football-sectional-predictions-week-1-games-ihsaa-schedule-tournament-2023/71208633007/

Tippecanoe Valley (9-0) at Bishop Chatard (9-0), Class 3A Sectional 28: No. 1 and defending champion Chatard did not benefit from the draw, but the Trojans have been up for the challenge in every game this season. Tippecanoe Valley, tied for third in 3A with Guerin, has 28 wins over the past three seasons under coach Stephen Moriarty, but has run up against Mishawaka Marian (in 2021), Guerin Catholic (2022) and now Chatard. Bishop Chatard 28, Tippecanoe Valley 16.