Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

College Games 2023

PHJIrish

To say the least it was an interesting weekend of college football this week.  Lots of big time programs, notably Clemson and TCU, had trouble hanging onto the ball.  Hats off to Prime Time  for winning over TCU and Mike Elko for putting a whoopin' on Clemson.  It was a fun weekend for sure.

my take aways from college games..... IF YOURE NOT GOING TO WEAR A MOUTHPIECE THEN JUST TAKE IT OFF THE MASK.    just flopping around is dumb and yes I am old man yelling at a cloud.......lets not even get started with the "game pants".   I mean "shorts" 

amirite @Bobref @JustRules @Impartial_Observer @Yuccaguy

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

my take aways from college games..... IF YOURE NOT GOING TO WEAR A MOUTHPIECE THEN JUST TAKE IT OFF THE MASK.    just flopping around is dumb and yes I am old man yelling at a cloud.......lets not even get started with the "game pants".   I mean "shorts" 

I don’t get the mouthguard thing at all.

@BobrefDid you happen to catch the Clemson/Duke game? If so was the targeting call applied correctly? Clemson had 4th and medium, QB scrambled and went into his slide before the first down marker essentially ruling him down and play over but was simultaneously contacted by the Duke player in the head and neck area. Duke player was ejected and assessed 15 yards but as a dead ball foul after change of possession rather than an automatic first down for Clemson effectively ending the game.

Seems like a terrible misapplication of the rule even if applied correctly.

Edited by Footballking16

1 minute ago, Footballking16 said:

@BobrefDid you happen to catch the Clemson/Duke game? If so was the targeting call applied correctly? Clemson had 4th and medium, QB scrambled and went into his slide before the first down marker essentially ruling him down and play over but was simultaneously contacted by the Duke in the head and neck area. Duke player was ejected and assessed 15 yards but as a dead ball foul after change of possession rather than an automatic first down for Clemson effectively ending the game.

Seems like a terrible misapplication of the rule even if applied correctly.

That is consistent with the rules at all levels. This was a dead ball foul, since contact was initiated after the slide started, i.e., after the runner was down and the ball dead. Since the runner was down short of the line to gain on 4th down, the ball goes over. Then the consequences of any fouls are applied to 1st down.

18 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

If you SEMI-PRO Knuckleheads at the Collegiate level are gonna get paid also...  Just get with the program and play with NFL Rules.  Do and wear/don't wear whatever the hell you want!  

It's also bad enough most "skilled" players are now basically wearing shorts also.  (mentioned earlier)....  Eye shields all over the place.  I'm now waiting for Oakley to come up an eye shield that has logos and/or pictures on them.  It's coming soon.  

Do yall have any idea of the crap that I have to put up with at the HS level because of this idiocy?  

4 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

I can't believe that players are playing without knee pads!  It's OK for kickers, but many wide receivers are not protecting that precious part of their anatomy!  It might slow them down a couple of tenths, but one good hit and it can be bad for them.

See, I am on the opposite side of that coin, what does that very small knee pad these days actually protect??   ACL? nope..;MCL Nope,  PCL NOPE, LCL, NOPE.   ok so what does the knee pad serve??  a Bruise??   cmon man.   The size of the knee pads that we have really do not do anything other than cover the knee cap, thats all they do, if you catch a helmet or another knee to the that area, even with a a knee pad, its gonna sting still, pad or no pad.   I see zero purpose for them personally.  

7 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

See, I am on the opposite side of that coin, what does that very small knee pad these days actually protect??   ACL? nope..;MCL Nope,  PCL NOPE, LCL, NOPE.  

Some orthopedic surgeons would differ with you.

1. Knee Pads – Knee injuries are among the most common traumatic football injuries. Knee pads, thus, are essential in the prevention of such injuries as anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) tears, posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) tears, and injuries to the meniscus cartilage. https://orthonc.com/your-health/play-smart-proper-protective-equipment-for-football#:~:text=Knee Pads – Knee injuries are,injuries to the meniscus cartilage.

3 hours ago, Bobref said:

Some orthopedic surgeons would differ with you.

1. Knee Pads – Knee injuries are among the most common traumatic football injuries. Knee pads, thus, are essential in the prevention of such injuries as anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) tears, posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) tears, and injuries to the meniscus cartilage. https://orthonc.com/your-health/play-smart-proper-protective-equipment-for-football#:~:text=Knee Pads – Knee injuries are,injuries to the meniscus cartilage.

I'll go along with the ortho folks!

I played a lot of sports back in my day, I was a fast pitch softball catcher for most of those years, and believe me theirs a lot of pain when your knee gets bruised!  It doesn't go away overnight either.  Also I had a fractured knee cap that took some time to heal.  Unprotected knees are just inviting injury.  A helmet to the knee can put a player out for a substantial period of time.

1 hour ago, PHJIrish said:

I played a lot of sports back in my day, I was a fast pitch softball catcher for most of those years, and believe me theirs a lot of pain when your knee gets bruised!  It doesn't go away overnight either.  Also I had a fractured knee cap that took some time to heal.  Unprotected knees are just inviting injury.  A helmet to the knee can put a player out for a substantial period of time.

The concept of a knee pad is that it spreads the impact forces out over a larger area, thus reducing the force that would otherwise be concentrated on any one particular area. That’s why knee pads do play a role in preventing, or lessening the severity of, ligament and meniscus injuries, albeit not as great a role as bracing.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, Bobref said:

They talk some serious trash in the SEC. This is from the Facebook page of “Dawgnation.” But, is it a case of the pot calling the kettle black?

image.thumb.png.d0cc354220a59aa413c960b2c4fd5419.png

Not sure that is totally reserved for the south.....WalMart Wolverines...Pure Michigan

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, temptation said:

Yep.  Every fan base has em.

Lifting my ND hatred ban one more time this fall.

Dabo is whining again…shut him up.

Agreed. ND’s “Subway Alumni” make these people look like rank amateurs.

And there is nothing like wiping that smarmy, self-righteous smirk off Dabo’s face. It’ll be a pleasure.

• Like 1