Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Notre Dame 2023

Bobref

4 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Other more interesting connections….Jim Crowley was the head coach at Fordham when the 7 Blocks of Granite came up one game shy of going to the Rose Bowl. That O Line was coached by Frank Leahy. One of those 7 blocks of granite was Vincent Thomas Lombardi. 

If you are a fan of the game, the book “When Pride Still Mattered” is an excellent book by Dave Maraniss. All kinds of cool connections in the game that I never imagined, like the ones I mentioned here. 

Also, when Lombardi was still teaching high school chemistry, he and his wife had a favorite spot to go to in New Jersey. They met another young couple there. The man had just started singing on weekends in the club, and the two couples remained friends throughout their lives…..the singer…..Old Blue Eyes himself, Frank Sinatra. 

2 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Not much noise around this Pitt game.  I just hope the Irish are ready.  I think the bye week was good for preparation.  At least I hope so.

Would love to see the offense come out and have a huge game. Don’t think it’ll happen tho, Pitt plays good defense but from what I’ve heard Pitt is very bad on offense. Would like to see the Irish take and succeed on some deep shots down the field because I think Pitt will do what they can to stop the run. Couple of former ND guys playing tofat for Pitt. C’Bo Flemister at RB and Shayne Simon at LB. Let’s go Irish. 

3 hours ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Would love to see the offense come out and have a huge game. Don’t think it’ll happen tho, Pitt plays good defense but from what I’ve heard Pitt is very bad on offense. Would like to see the Irish take and succeed on some deep shots down the field because I think Pitt will do what they can to stop the run. Couple of former ND guys playing tofat for Pitt. C’Bo Flemister at RB and Shayne Simon at LB. Let’s go Irish. 

Pretty quiet 1st half for the Irish offense.  Hartman's having a tough half, but Xavier Watts is picking up where he left off against USC.

17 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Nice win for the Irish!  The facts are Louisville beat Notre Dame, Pitt beat Louisville, and Notre Dame destroyed Pitt.

Xavier Watts is one whale of a defensive ball hawk!

Might be playing himself into leaving for the draft after this year!!

Heard or saw a stat; the notre dame defense has given up 3 touchdowns the last 2 games while the specials teams and defense have combined for 5 touchdowns.  Pretty sold effort I’d say. 

1 hour ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Might be playing himself into leaving for the draft after this year!!

Now this is a case where the judicious use of NIL could really make a difference. Safety is among the lowest paid positions in the NFL. A sweet NIL deal could induce him to stay another year.

• Like 2

I was watching Notre Dame/Pitt with my father and remember turning to him and asking why the starters were still playing with the game well in hand. Low and behold, Mitchell Evans goes down with a torn ACL. Thoughts on this? They finally did bring in another quarterback, but left most the other starters in. Wanted to give the new QB reps with the first string? Are reps not good enough with the second string? I'm not trying to tear Freeman down, I like the guy. I just don't understand why they were pouring it on with the starters already up 40 points. I've always believed that you rest your starters as soon as you can and give the backups much needed reps.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, temptation said:

A win Saturday almost assuredly earns the Irish a NY6, no?

Unless they have a mammoth breakdown afterward. In fact, if the 12 team playoff started this year, I think the Irish would be dubbed as the team no one wants to play. 

5 hours ago, BTF said:

I was watching Notre Dame/Pitt with my father and remember turning to him and asking why the starters were still playing with the game well in hand. Low and behold, Mitchell Evans goes down with a torn ACL. Thoughts on this? They finally did bring in another quarterback, but left most the other starters in. Wanted to give the new QB reps with the first string? Are reps not good enough with the second string? I'm not trying to tear Freeman down, I like the guy. I just don't understand why they were pouring it on with the starters already up 40 points. I've always believed that you rest your starters as soon as you can and give the backups much needed reps.  

Just speculating but the offense did not play well the first half. I think they wanted to build some confidence and give those guys some more reps together before turning it over to the backups. Unfortunate what happened to evans but tight end room has to step up. It was nice to see Angeli actually run the offense when he did get in and not just hand the ball off. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, temptation said:

A win Saturday almost assuredly earns the Irish a NY6, no?

Heard they’ll need a top 10 finish for a NY6 game. And it depends on how FSU and Louisville seasons play out??

As for the game vs Clemson, this is a huge game for Marcus Freeman. I think everyone is expecting the Irish to win, can they deliver? Clemson defense is maybe a wash or a little better but than Irish offense, Irish defense better than Clemson offense. Gonna come down to turnovers and how well O line can handle Clemson front. If the Irish do win they should finish 10-2, beating wake forest and Stanford