Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Is this really "helping the runner"?

gindie

Question

10 answers to this question

2 hours ago, gindie said:

Watch the video below at 1:57:00.  There's a good replay from the side.  I guess it depends on how a "pile" is defined.

The question is “who is #65 pushing?” From the replay, it looks like he was in contact with the tackler. No foul.

Edited by Bobref
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, gindie said:

Another interesting period for the officials is 1:20:00 through 1:28:00 in the above video.  The game was delayed and the Elkhart coach got mad.

Apparently, someone from the stands was shining a laser on the field. I’ve had it happen before. The more interesting development is the flag that was thrown for defensive encroachment, and then, apparently picked up, once they resumed play. I can’t figure out what happened. There is actually a potential foul on the offense for a false start by the man going in motion. Pretty obvious that the intent of the play was to cause the defense to encroach. But they didn’t enforce a penalty on the offense either. I actually know this Referee. I’ll see if I can find out more.

One thing: the Elkhart head coach is lucky he’s not on the phone with the IHSAA explaining why he got an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. He might be upset, but he can’t be out at the numbers complaining to the officials. They gave him an awful lot of leeway.

2 hours ago, gindie said:

Another interesting period for the officials is 1:20:00 through 1:28:00 in the above video.  The game was delayed and the Elkhart coach got mad.

So, what happened here is easily explained, it turns out. After an administrative stoppage, the play clock is set at 0:25 and starts on the R’s ready for play signal. The linesman had not yet gotten to his position on the visiting sideline, so the R had not yet signaled the ball ready. Elkhart ran up to the line in a hurry to try and draw New Prairie into the neutral zone, and it worked. But since the ball had not been made ready for play, there was no foul. The R was yelling to the QB “wait, wait” but they started to run the play anyway. So, no foul. The U should not have moved off the ball until all crew members were in position.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

Foul.

One big difference between the NCAA and NFHS rule (and I presume the NFL rule is similar to NCAA) is you can now legally PUSH the runner. In NFHS I guess you could have contact to the runner while pushing the pile. The true element of the Tush Push you are seeing more now is they are lining up right behind him and pushing him immediately after the snap. That's a different situation than when the pile is already formed and another player starts to push the pile and his contact may include the runner as part of that push.