Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IU 2023

Irishman

2 hours ago, Irishman said:

Everything changes after this season. While some change has occurred with NIL and the transfer portal, the game changes completely with the expanded playoff and expanded conferences for next season. Competitive programs will have to find ways to pay players. Schools have to be willing to commit to that. Even now, I don’t believe admins in Bloomington have shown a willingness to do so. 

I agree that Hartline is a guy to consider, but I am certain he goes to any school and starts out by saying, here is what we do in Columbus to have a top tier program; if you are not willing to commit to that, I am not your guy. I would even say the same for a guy like Mike Hart, who would also be a solid prospect. 

Joel Klatt said it best during the game Saturday; teams in a position where IU is are basically a farm team. Kids that are not highly recruited will go there, play one season and look for opportunities elsewhere. Guys at IU not getting playing time will likely go to a non power 5 conference to get playing time. Unless IU makes a huge push to pay some solid talent, they will be stuck where they are regardless of who the head coach is. 

100% accurate!!! Again, need to go to a relegation league concept for teams like Indiana, Vanderbilt, California, Stanford, Illinois, etc… None of these teams are ever in consideration for the playoffs and are just cannon fodder for the big boys

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Komets2727 said:

100% accurate!!! Again, need to go to a relegation league concept for teams like Indiana, Vanderbilt, California, Stanford, Illinois, etc… None of these teams are ever in consideration for the playoffs and are just cannon fodder for the big boys

I’m not even sure Indiana is deserving to be listed in this group of P5 teams…every other team on this list has had at least minimal success that was not during a Covid shortened season.

I get your point though.

Edited by temptation
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Footballking16 said:

Indiana has a better record and an identical conference record as Illinois (with a 2-0 H2H advantage) since Allen took over but still, Indiana is bottom of the barrel P5. Illinois has made a Rose Bowl in my lifetime. 

Forgot that IU team could’ve won NINE games…they blew that bowl game against Tennessee.

3 hours ago, Komets2727 said:

Probably unfair comment about Stanford.  While challenges the last 4-5 seasons, they went 102-32 from 2009-18 under Harbaugh and David Shaw.  They made appearances in the Orange, Fiesta, and Rose Bowls (3 times) along with Alamo and Sun Bowls repeatedly.  IU and Purdue could only dream of that journey.  

40 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Probably unfair comment about Stanford.  While challenges the last 4-5 seasons, they went 102-32 from 2009-18 under Harbaugh and David Shaw.  They made appearances in the Orange, Fiesta, and Rose Bowls (3 times) along with Alamo and Sun Bowls repeatedly.  IU and Purdue could only dream of that journey.  

They had a great run but are about to be relegated to the levels at which they were pre-Harbaugh. The new transfer phenomenon and NIL have killed that program. 

27 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

They had a great run but are about to be relegated to the levels at which they were pre-Harbaugh. The new transfer phenomenon and NIL have killed that program. 

Looks like they have a tough road ahead....at least they get to look forward to long flights playing the the ACC.  😉

3 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Indiana won 8 games the year prior to COVID

Been a fan of IU my whole life, last Rose Bowl appearance I believe was in January, 1966. I was born in December, 1966 so I have never seen them in the Rose Bowl. Man, this is depressing just typing that…

Anyways, IU has not come close to being relevant in football in my lifetime so I think it is fair to say what I’ve said. They suck, period. 

3 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Indiana won 8 games the year prior to COVID

They won 8 games a couple times during the Bill Mallory era as well, back in the 80’s…

3 minutes ago, Komets2727 said:

Been a fan of IU my whole life, last Rose Bowl appearance I believe was in January, 1966. I was born in December, 1966 so I have never seen them in the Rose Bowl. Man, this is depressing just typing that…

Anyways, IU has not come close to being relevant in football in my lifetime so I think it is fair to say what I’ve said. They suck, period. 

Oh they're terrible, and worst part they don't care. They would be on a relegation short list of P5 teams.

Question I have:  

Why would Brian Hartline decide to take his 1st HC job at IU, when he could be a candidate for much more attractive jobs.  He is making 1.6 Million as is, so its not for lack of $$ being paid, thats for sure.    He is very well regarded nationwide for his recruitment of top end and development of those top end WRs.  Don't see him saying, yes, lets go to IU for his first stint as a HC

Now, a guy that I think make sense, JaMarcus Shepard, FT Wayne own,  Has the personality and skill set to lead, has great knowledge of the state of Indiana, has been very successful at his 2 stops, PU and Washington.   It was rumored that if Purdue hired WKU HC (and not Walters) that he was going to head to WKU for his first HC opportunity.   

11 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Why would Brian Hartline decide to take his 1st HC job at IU, when he could be a candidate for much more attractive jobs.  He is making 1.6 Million as is, so its not for lack of $$ being paid, thats for sure.    He is very well regarded nationwide for his recruitment of top end and development of those top end WRs.  Don't see him saying, yes, lets go to IU for his first stint as a HC

Because this is the first year Brian Hartline has ever held a title above position coach and if he really wants the Ohio State job down the road, getting some experience, especially in conference, probably isn't a terrible idea. And $4-4.5 million a year is a lot more than $1.6 million. His ability to recruit obviously makes him attractive, but if you're a bigger program, gambling on a 36 year old with very little play-calling duties is a decent risk. IU however couldn't get any worse. Now, it's very possible OSU has named him CIW internally and they won't let him leave, but I imagine Hartline at some point is going to want to take on a role where he has much more responsibility. 

11 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Now, a guy that I think make sense, JaMarcus Shepard, FT Wayne own,  Has the personality and skill set to lead, has great knowledge of the state of Indiana, has been very successful at his 2 stops, PU and Washington.   It was rumored that if Purdue hired WKU HC (and not Walters) that he was going to head to WKU for his first HC opportunity.

I like Shepard but he's like the D-list version of Hartline. Has never held a title past Co-OC (which he didn't call the plays) and I think just lacks the experience to be thrown into a job like IU. 

Edited by Footballking16

15 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

throw in the $$ bring in Washington State's Jake Dickert.  Bring the Wisconsin guy back to the midwest and back to the Power 5 to rebuild the program

This seems like a no brainer.

Give a man without a future home a place to live.

Edited by temptation

7 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Because this is the first year Brian Hartline has ever held a title above position coach and if he really wants the Ohio State job down the road, getting some experience, especially in conference, probably isn't a terrible idea. And $4-4.5 million a year is a lot more than $1.6 million. His ability to recruit obviously makes him attractive, but if you're a bigger program, gambling on a 36 year old with very little play-calling duties is a decent risk. IU however couldn't get any worse. Now, it's very possible OSU has named him CIW internally and they won't let him leave, but I imagine Hartline at some point is going to want to take on a role where he has much more responsibility. 

Could be CIW, I think my point is that IU is a D-List job, as you stated below with what you think of Shepard, Hartline would be more in line with above D-List jobs, in my humble opinion 

I like Shepard but he's like the D-list version of Hartline. Has never held a title past Co-OC (which he didn't call the plays) and I think just lacks the experience to be thrown into a job like IU. 

I think Shepard is mid tier candidate, for sure, Conf USA, Sun Belt, Bottom half P5 conference schools, places like Virginia, IU, Houston, etc.  As an IU fan, I get wanting to shoot for the moon when the job opens up again, just went thru that myself with my alma mater, reality is you hope you get it right with one of those up and comers and you get to keep them long term, its hard to do at mid to low tier football programs like Purdue (mid tier) and IU (Low Tier) 

• 2 weeks later...

Penn State 33 - Indiana 24 final

Well, IU was tied with 3 minutes to go so that was unexpected until I remembered who was coaching Penn State: James Franklin. What an imposter of a head coach. True mental midget. Supposed top 10 team lets IU stay in the game until the last 3 minutes at Beaver Stadium. Where is the coaching? You have 4 and 5 star recruits all over your roster and you’re playing a team littered with 2 and 3 star players and you struggle mightily. Shaking my head…

17 hours ago, Komets2727 said:

Penn State 33 - Indiana 24 final

Well, IU was tied with 3 minutes to go so that was unexpected until I remembered who was coaching Penn State: James Franklin. What an imposter of a head coach. True mental midget. Supposed top 10 team lets IU stay in the game until the last 3 minutes at Beaver Stadium. Where is the coaching? You have 4 and 5 star recruits all over your roster and you’re playing a team littered with 2 and 3 star players and you struggle mightily. Shaking my head…

Not disagreeing with your Franklin comments but it was a chess match between 2 mental midgets...just one side had way better players.

IU late in Q4 in PSU's red zone down by 3, and runs the ball 3 straight times.  It looked like Allen was playing for the attempt to tie vs trying to win.  For crying out loud, your team has no big 10 wins and you are dead last in the conference.  Get your doo dads reattached and actually try to take the lead.  The wheels then fell off.

SMH

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bash Riprock said:

Not disagreeing with your Franklin comments but it was a chess match between 2 mental midgets...just one side had way better players.

IU late in Q4 in PSU's red zone down by 3, and runs the ball 3 straight times.  It looked like Allen was playing for the attempt to tie vs trying to win.  For crying out loud, your team has no big 10 wins and you are dead last in the conference.  Get your doo dads reattached and actually try to take the lead.  The wheels then fell off.

SMH

You are correct on Allen, but hell, that ship sailed a long time ago. That clown celebrated beating Akron in overtime like they won the Rose Bowl!!!

• Like 1

On 10/30/2023 at 12:46 PM, Bash Riprock said:

SMH

Agree 100%. First off, by playing for a game tying field goal, you're leaving time on the clock for Penn State to drive down the field and take the lead.........which we all knew would happen. And if it did go to overtime, good luck and God bless playing in Happy Valley. The three run plays had me shaking my head.