Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

ROCHESTER AT LCC

On 10/21/2023 at 11:36 PM, foxbat said:

Attended the LCC game last night.  Metzger had 345 passing last night against Winamac.  Hit a lot of different guys and was dangerous in long ball plays.  I think LCC had at least three TDs on pass plays of 50 or more.  The thing of interest was that LCC seemed to be good at was not abandoning something that had promise.  They had a crossing play that misfired for the first 3-4 time they tried it.  Most teams would have given up after the first two times it didn't work.  Just when the fans were probably thinking that they would put that thing back in the play chest for another weekend ... BAM ... 6 points.  And it wasn't the first time it produced fruit last night.  Just to indicate that quick strike potential, first offensive play of the second half was a 65-yard pass to Clayton; sending the game to running clock.

If folks are expecting Rochester to only put up a couple of touchdowns, then Rochester will need an outstanding pass defense.  Prior to last night, LCC's putting up 32 passes a game with a 60%+ completion rate.  They put up about a TD every eight completions.  By contrast, Rochester's had 43 passing attempts for the whole year.  Rochester is the complete opposite of LCC with a huge running game; putting up about 40 running plays per game with a TD about every nine carries.  LCC's a bit off that mark on rushing putting up a TD about every 13 carries, but only running an average of 18 times a game.

LCC's three losses have all come against 3A teams: #7 in class Sagarin Guerin, #11 in class Sagarin Hamilton Heights, and #17 in class Sagarin West Lafayette.  All three advanced in their initial sectional game.  Rochester has two losses: #10 in class 3A Tipp Valley and #16 in class 3A Peru, who both lost their sectional contests last night in the Sectional of Death.  Guerin defeated Peru 27-19. 

Rochester averages 40 points a game, so they are more than capable of putting up more than just a few touchdowns. I understand the strength of schedule isn't great, but they scored 23 on a Peru defense that only allowed 27 against Guerin. Rochester also did it running the ball where Guerin did a lot of their damage through the air. As far as pass defense goes, they played a Maconaquah team that averages 271 passing yards a game and that had thrown for 28 touchdowns to just 14 points.

10 hours ago, dazed and confused said:

LCC vs Rochester has the makings of being a classic !

Peru gave Guerin a better game than LCC and they didn't beat the Zebras by much !

My oh my... who gonna come out on top !!!

On the right track here! About the only two comparisons you can make for the two teams is Lcc played Guerin and lost 27-3. Rochester played Peru and lost 34-23. Guerin beat Peru 27-19. Lcc played West Lafayette and lost 37-7. Rochester played Valley and lost 39-8. Valley beat West Lafayette 35-13. Both teams have beaten who they are supposed to and lost to who they are supposed to. Which team is going to win a 50-50 game that in my opinion neither team has had this year? It's going to come down to senior leadership, defensive execution, and who can win the turnover battle. Like you said should be a great game and in my opinion the game of the week in the 2A North.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

Rochester averages 40 points a game, so they are more than capable of putting up more than just a few touchdowns. I understand the strength of schedule isn't great, but they scored 23 on a Peru defense that only allowed 27 against Guerin. Rochester also did it running the ball where Guerin did a lot of their damage through the air. As far as pass defense goes, they played a Maconaquah team that averages 271 passing yards a game and that had thrown for 28 touchdowns to just 14 points.

On the right track here! About the only two comparisons you can make for the two teams is Lcc played Guerin and lost 27-3. Rochester played Peru and lost 34-23. Guerin beat Peru 27-19. Lcc played West Lafayette and lost 37-7. Rochester played Valley and lost 39-8. Valley beat West Lafayette 35-13. Both teams have beaten who they are supposed to and lost to who they are supposed to. Which team is going to win a 50-50 game that in my opinion neither team has had this year? It's going to come down to senior leadership, defensive execution, and who can win the turnover battle. Like you said should be a great game and in my opinion the game of the week in the 2A North.

I know Rochester gets greif for their schedule but other than the 3 early season games, LCCs isn't anything to brag about. It doesn't help them not being tested for so long...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MarshallCounty said:

Is Rochester a paper tiger? Area teams are not as good as they once were.

I don't think so, but it could go either way for them. I think you could make the same argument for LCC as well. Both have beaten who they are supposed to and lost to who they were supposed to. At the time, losing to Peru seemed like a pretty bad loss, but Peru just played Guerin for all 4 quarters and only lost by a touchdown. The only other loss was to Valley and I'm sure you saw first hand the difficulty of a 2A roster trying to matchup with Valley. I don't think their best player even played in the Bremen game. You are definitely correct with area teams being down such as Northfield and Southwood that usually are very tough, but Rochester also beat a Cass team that while they aren't great, are easily in the top half of 2A teams this year. They also handily beat a Maconaquah team that isn't great on defense, but has a very explosive offense that scored 42 in one quarter the other night and Rochester held them to 14 points. I think Rochester had a more consistent team last year, but I think when both are playing their best football, this years team is much better.

• Like 1

i thought this was interesting. I went back and looked at starting lineups for both teams. Both defenses return 7 guys that played as starters in the Sectional Championship from last year. The major difference is LCC only returns 2 guys from the starting lineup on offense last year whereas Rochester returns 7 on offense. 

I didn't realize LCC returned that many on the defensive side of the ball. Both defenses played very well last year. Will be interesting to see if that is the theme for this years game.

1 hour ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

I don't think so, but it could go either way for them. I think you could make the same argument for LCC as well. Both have beaten who they are supposed to and lost to who they were supposed to. At the time, losing to Peru seemed like a pretty bad loss, but Peru just played Guerin for all 4 quarters and only lost by a touchdown. The only other loss was to Valley and I'm sure you saw first hand the difficulty of a 2A roster trying to matchup with Valley. I don't think their best player even played in the Bremen game. You are definitely correct with area teams being down such as Northfield and Southwood that usually are very tough, but Rochester also beat a Cass team that while they aren't great, are easily in the top half of 2A teams this year. They also handily beat a Maconaquah team that isn't great on defense, but has a very explosive offense that scored 42 in one quarter the other night and Rochester held them to 14 points. I think Rochester had a more consistent team last year, but I think when both are playing their best football, this years team is much better.

Guerin's been an odd bird to try to figure out this year.  They beat McCutcheon 18-10 earlier this season, but I didn't expect it would have been that close looking at the other games they've played this year.  Granted, McCutcheon looks much better this year than they did last year, but given Guerin's 3A rating, I expected a wider range.

47 minutes ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

i thought this was interesting. I went back and looked at starting lineups for both teams. Both defenses return 7 guys that played as starters in the Sectional Championship from last year. The major difference is LCC only returns 2 guys from the starting lineup on offense last year whereas Rochester returns 7 on offense. 

I didn't realize LCC returned that many on the defensive side of the ball. Both defenses played very well last year. Will be interesting to see if that is the theme for this years game.

They'll be returning a few next year too, but on the offensive side.  The elder Metzger, Clayton, and Gutwein are just juniors.  Meister's just a sophomore. 

10 minutes ago, RingLeader said:

Must have been decent as the two bottom dwellers stepped out of conference last week and thumped their opponents. Caston beat unbeaten team. 
🤷‍♂️

So your telling me Rochester playing Caston and Culver would have made them better and more prepared for LCC?

2 minutes ago, foxbat said:

They'll be returning a few next year too, but on the offensive side.  The elder Metzger, Clayton, and Gutwein are just juniors.  Meister's just a sophomore. 

All the more reason Rochester needs to get the win, and send them back down to 1A 😉 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

So your telling me Rochester playing Caston and Culver would have made them better and more prepared for LCC?

All the more reason Rochester needs to get the win, and send them back down to 1A 😉 

I suspect there are about 63-64 other folks that hold a different opinion about LCC re-visiting 1A. :classic_smile:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

Good reply.

1 hour ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

Outside of Knox, how tough was the HNAC really this year?

Line the HNAC up against the top 8 teams from the TRC and the HNAC teams are favored in 5 of those games.  

image.png.01b0199538005ffb26b89ba96f55980d.png       image.png.3b427659ca7efca91a74017128448ac1.png

Edited by FinePrint

10 hours ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

Outside of Knox, how tough was the HNAC really this year?

LaVille is pretty solid, they just beat andrean by 2. 

Triton is a pretty solid squad even after that runningback dropped out. 

I think HNAC could have 2 or 3 teams at Semi State.  

16 hours ago, FinePrint said:

Line the HNAC up against the top 8 teams from the TRC and the HNAC teams are favored in 5 of those games.  

image.png.01b0199538005ffb26b89ba96f55980d.png       image.png.3b427659ca7efca91a74017128448ac1.png

I will agree, the HNAC was probably better than the TRC this year. The top three teams are pretty evenly matched from both conferences. After that, if you're just playing better bad teams are you really getting more prepared for the playoffs is my only thing. I don't think Rochester being in the HNAC would make that much of a difference. If you had every team in the top 200 in the state like the HNAC has had then I'd say there is an argument there. That wasn't the case this year. Also when talking about a conference change, I know its hard because I do the same thing with football being the main reason for someone moving conferences, but you do have to think about the other sports at your school as well. The TRC is just a better fit for Rochester all-around in sports. 

8 hours ago, hondo17 said:

LaVille is pretty solid, they just beat andrean by 2. 

Triton is a pretty solid squad even after that runningback dropped out. 

I think HNAC could have 2 or 3 teams at Semi State.  

I would agree. I expect to see a 1A HNAC team in the semi-state. I think Laville is solid as well. I'm just not sold on them being great yet. They beat an Andrean team that was 3-6. They also did it in conditions that suited them for beating Andrean. The field kind of took away from the speed and elusiveness factor I think Andrean had over Laville. Did not expect Laville to move the ball going right at Andrean like they did which was very impressive. Andrean made a lot of mistakes that Laville capitalized on which is what good teams do. I just don't know that if you play that game over in better conditions that you can confidently say Laville still wins that game.

I'm torn on who to cheer for in this one. I'll watch online if I don't attend our game in person.

If Rochester's football program is as classy as their wrestling program, I wouldn't be sad to see them win. The Zebras put on a great wrestling tournament every year that my son has attended with HH. He finished 3rd as a Junior and 2nd last year. He lost a match he shouldn't have as a Junior, then won out, but he would have faced the future State Champion HWT if he had made it to the tourney championship. Always a great time up there.

In LCC's case, I'm more looking at a potential matchup in the Sectional final. Nothing better I'd like than to see a certain team get knocked out by a Hoosier Conference team......

2 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

I'm torn on who to cheer for in this one. I'll watch online if I don't attend our game in person.

If Rochester's football program is as classy as their wrestling program, I wouldn't be sad to see them win. The Zebras put on a great wrestling tournament every year that my son has attended with HH. He finished 3rd as a Junior and 2nd last year. He lost a match he shouldn't have as a Junior, then won out, but he would have faced the future State Champion HWT if he had made it to the tourney championship. Always a great time up there.

In LCC's case, I'm more looking at a potential matchup in the Sectional final. Nothing better I'd like than to see a certain team get knocked out by a Hoosier Conference team......

A lot of the same names on the football roster that are on the wrestling roster. Alex Demming 1100 yard rusher this year has been a two time state qualifier in wrestling so far in his career. Brant Beck 12 yards short of 1,000 yards rushing this year qualified as a freshman last year. Brady Beck, his brother is a force on the offensive and defensive line he is a two time state qualifier. We usually tell our guys you can join the basketball team or the swim team, but if you don't want to do either of those then you ARE going to wrestle.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

A lot of the same names on the football roster that are on the wrestling roster. Alex Demming 1100 yard rusher this year has been a two time state qualifier in wrestling so far in his career. Brant Beck 12 yards short of 1,000 yards rushing this year qualified as a freshman last year. Brady Beck, his brother is a force on the offensive and defensive line he is a two time state qualifier. We usually tell our guys you can join the basketball team or the swim team, but if you don't want to do either of those then you ARE going to wrestle.

They are legit!!

• Like 1

On 10/24/2023 at 12:40 PM, First_Backer_Inside said:

This is key... nice catch... means the Knight O needs to protect the ball .. yet b aggressive... Lcc seems to struggle putting up points in their 3 losses...