Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Hoosier Hills Conference

13 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Makes perfect sense. Thank you.

So what’s the contingency plan when crap really hits the fan? Has that been discussed? For football, are we going to have to implement bye weeks? Will some games just not get played? Will high school-sponsored sports cease to exist?

That’s way above my pay grade. I’d prefer to concentrate on curing the problem long term, and let others figure out the mechanics of dealing with the current crisis.

20 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

So what’s the contingency plan when crap really hits the fan? Has that been discussed? For football, are we going to have to implement bye weeks? Will some games just not get played? Will high school-sponsored sports cease to exist?

Contingency plans are above my pay grade. However it’s not hard to see education based sports go away. We already see kids skipping HS sports for club sports. Football was always the anomaly in that equation but we’re starting to see a fair amount of club football, which in my opinion is not conducive to the health of the game or the health of the players playing the game. Go run track or play baseball in the spring. Athletes should be athleting. 

16 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Contingency plans are above my pay grade. However it’s not hard to see education based sports go away. We already see kids skipping HS sports for club sports. Football was always the anomaly in that equation but we’re starting to see a fair amount of club football, which in my opinion is not conducive to the health of the game or the health of the players playing the game. Go run track or play baseball in the spring. Athletes should be athleting. 

I’m with you there. I absolutely detest club sports, especially AAU basketball.

My sister played soccer. She played youth league in Columbus and got so good that people convinced her and my parents that she should play for the club team when she got old enough. So she went from six games in the fall and six games in the spring to about 10-15 games each. Then that wasn’t enough so they brainwashed her into thinking she wouldn’t be able to keep up with the rest of the girls in soccer if she didn’t do indoor soccer in the winter. It was never-ending.

She was getting bored with being overloaded with soccer so she did basketball for a couple years. Then she got into high school and did track in the spring. She wanted soccer to just be a fall sport while she was at East but there was pressure coming to her from coaches and teammates about how that wasn’t enough. 

Nevertheless, she got “recruited” and played at Franklin College her freshman year. However, recurring injuries coupled with soccer overload all her child life had her completely burnt out and she quit after one year.

I was a pretty good soccer player myself but I also liked having an off-season to pursue other interests. I was urged to play club soccer as well but I had seen what it did to my sister and my parents. They were all burnt out from being gone every weekend.

It’s a shame to hear football is going down that path now. I didn’t even think that was possible.

30 minutes ago, Bobref said:

That’s way above my pay grade. I’d prefer to concentrate on curing the problem long term, and let others figure out the mechanics of dealing with the current crisis.

I get that but have you heard any ideas floated around? You don’t have to tell me what they are. I would hope the IHSAA is being proactive and trying to plan for a worst-case scenario.

• Haha 1

And if you follow the FB football pages, those are the idiots that are running those programs. Nothing good will come from it. I am a HUGE proponent on educational based sports. Obviously it’s been a huge part of my life but more importantly they played a huge role in who I became. The lessons learned, the work ethic, being part of something bigger than yourself, etc. 

My daughter could play Softball a little bit. We did the travel thing. It’s a necessary evil if college is the goal. With that being said we had hard and fast rules about when she could play. She was a good enough athlete she could contribute to the BB team without doing all the summer crap. When DeVinney was at Seymour she was awesome to work with. She just asked for one weekend in the Summer for her team camp and would work around her schedule. That being said SB season started after BB season was over and went thru nationals. We played in ASA nationals so week 4 of the IHSAA calendar. She did not doing anything SB related until after Labor Day and picked it up again until the BB practice started. Fall is a HUGE recruiting time for SB. One BB practice started no SB until about the first of Feb, last couple weeks of BB season we would start doing tee work a couple of times a week until BB was over. When ever she took time off it took her about a month to get her bat sharp again. As a parent you walk a very fine line know when to push and when to back off. My daughter was very driven, college SB was her goal from the time she was about 7. She had a great college experience and had a pretty good career at Marian University. But most importantly she parlayed that into a career at Cummins. 
The biggest problem I see with club sports today is it is so watered down, kids are playing sports year round with no breaks, specializing, and it basically leads to burnout, repetitive stress type injuries, etc. Oh and unrealistic expectations. BB for her was an escape. She could just play and have fun. 
I supervise some travel SB on the weekends, I see kids who are going to struggle to make their HS team and they think college coaches are going to walking around handing out scholarships at any moment. And FWIW, anyone that tells you their kid is getting a full ride is lying, unless they play BB or VB. 

• Like 1

I'd like to give a shout-out to the greatest QB in Floyd Central history. What a season and career.

TRISTAN ROBERTSON 
2023 Season Stats

8-2 Game Record
Hoosier Hills Conference Champs 
1881 Yards
22 Passing Touchdowns
4 INTs
63.6% Completion Rate

459 Rushing Yards
11 Rushing Touchdowns

33 Total Touchdowns
2340 Total Yards

Tristan Broke 4 Records for Floyd Central

Career Passing Yards  4460
Held since 2003

Season Passing Yards  1881
Held since 2003

Career Completions  301
Held since 2003

Career Passing Attempts  541
Held since 2003 

He finished:
2nd in Season Passing Touchdowns
3rd in Career Passing Touchdowns
3rd and 5th in Single Game Passing Yards
Tied for 3rd in Single Game Touchdowns
3rd in Season Completion %
7th and 10th in Single Game Completion %
4th and 5th in Season Completions
Tied for 2nd in Single Game Completions
4th, 7th, and 8th Season Passing Attempts

Edited by Fkfootball

As an official contrary to popular belief you really don’t care who wins or loses. After 40 plus years even watching your hometown team you kinda become detached. I have gotten to the point where I don’t even watch a lot of Football anymore, I tended to officiate from my chair, I’m counting players, checking alignments, etc., in stead of just watching. 
This fall Seymour’s youth league was brought back into the school system. We developed a training system for Seymour players who we’re interested in officiating the youth league games. The key to it all was getting the players paid for officiating. We had great support from the administration. Honestly I was hoping to get 2-3 guys, I was somewhat amazed at our turnout. Ended up with 9 guys who worked the whole season. 
I white hatted all games and we used four man crews for every game. 
I had a blast getting to know these young men, and doing the training. We worked the games and they grew by leaps and bounds as young officials. 
I’ve long said sports are about relationships, and the key takeaway for me is in building relationships with these young men, I have become a fan again. I take care of the officials at Seymour home games and during the games I watch just like everyone else, and I’m rooting for them. It’s been incredibly positive for me. And hopefully I’ve made some small impact on these young men as well. 
With all that being said I’m going to believe in my guys and I’m taking Seymour over BHSS Friday night, I believe in them and I think they’re going to get it done. Go Owls!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This Friday, for the first time in my life, I’ll be attending a high school football game that doesn’t involve Columbus East or Jennings County. My brother-in-law took his first coaching gig last year as an assistant with Fishers and he’s in his second year there now. He’s been wanting me and my wife to come watch one of their games for the last two years but we hadn’t been able to do so until now. We’ll be heading up to Hamilton Southeastern to hopefully see Fishers win the sectional. HSE beat them in OT after converting a two-point conversion in week 4. HSE has won five straight in the rivalry so I hope I’m able to bring Fishers some luck on Friday. Go Tigers!

On 10/31/2023 at 10:04 AM, Frozen Tundra said:

Contingency? IHSAA? Make all finals broadcast only via streaming so rural dwellers especially can be more engaged, furthering the sports through their communities. 

12 minutes ago, ragdoll said:

Contingency? IHSAA? Make all finals broadcast only via streaming so rural dwellers especially can be more engaged, furthering the sports through their communities. 

I’m a rural dweller and I would agree with you. Luckily, though, we were able to eventually find a better internet option two years ago. It’s a little unorthodox but it has been a godsend.

As for other folks that don’t have this option, I feel their pain. I miss the old days when channel 4 used to air things like this. If My Network TV channel 23 can air a weekly game of the week then why can’t they air the state title games? I love watching Andy Griffith reruns as much as anyone over 50 does but we can all go two days without watching Barney sing to Juanita over the phone for the 48th time.

1 hour ago, Frozen Tundra said:

I’m a rural dweller and I would agree with you. Luckily, though, we were able to eventually find a better internet option two years ago. It’s a little unorthodox but it has been a godsend.

As for other folks that don’t have this option, I feel their pain. I miss the old days when channel 4 used to air things like this. If My Network TV channel 23 can air a weekly game of the week then why can’t they air the state title games? I love watching Andy Griffith reruns as much as anyone over 50 does but we can all go two days without watching Barney sing to Juanita over the phone for the 48th time.

There isn’t a situation that comes up in life that isn’t covered by an episode of TAGS. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

There isn’t a situation that comes up in life that isn’t covered by an episode of TAGS. 

Oh I’m definitely not knocking the show. I was raised on it because it was and still is my dad’s favorite show. Well, at least until Don Knotts leaves. He doesn’t acknowledge those later seasons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I stand corrected. 
I still like my chances at trivia night. 

This was always one of my favorite scenes so I thought of it immediately. I had a co-worker named Judy and she always got confused when I would say “Judy, Judy, Judy, Judy, Judy” in the Goober voice.

Edited by Frozen Tundra
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/1/2023 at 11:29 AM, Impartial_Observer said:

. I take care of the officials at Seymour home games and during the games I watch just like everyone else, and I’m rooting for them. It’s been incredibly positive for me. And hopefully I’ve made some small impact on these young men as well. 
With all that being said I’m going to believe in my guys and I’m taking Seymour over BHSS Friday night, I believe in them and I think they’re going to get it done. Go Owls!

1st game I went to this year. tonight at seymour. this is the worse officiating crew I've seen I  years. ridiculously bad. 

1 hour ago, MuleDriver said:

1st game I went to this year. tonight at seymour. this is the worse officiating crew I've seen I  years. ridiculously bad. 

I'm sure that Seymour has some complaints also, but that pass to D'andre Black in the first half where the Seymour DB was holding on/riding him to slow his progress and it went one yard over Black in the end zone was really outrageous and egregious and I'm running out of words for it. I was watching the live video with Seymour announcers and they were laughing about it and saying they don't know how the refs kept their flag in their pocket on that since it was obvious even to Stevie Wonder. 

• Like 1