Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Brownsburg/Ben Davis

You have to play four quarter!  I realize most of you believe that's sort of simplistic, but it applies here.  I recorded the while at another game and watched it and Brownsburg can't blame anyone but themselves for this one.   I live two miles from BD and 6 miles from Brownsburg so I didn't care who won the game.

2 hours ago, BTF said:

I didn't see it either, but it does seem perplexing. They seemed to have had the game in the bag at that point. Maybe they were being greedy and  going for the jugular? Not sure what the relationship is between the two schools or if Brownsburg had any motive to run the score up. Win and move on. 

I saw it.  Mind blowing.

Threw it to Zackery’s side of the field too…he’s being recruited to the next level as a DB…

BD had one timeout too..so worst case scenario (the INT was thrown on 2nd down), even two runs that don’t get you a first down and you punt with just under 8 to go up 18 and make BD drive the ball THREE times.

1 hour ago, PHJIrish said:

You have to play four quarter!  I realize most of you believe that's sort of simplistic, but it applies here.  I recorded the while at another game and watched it and Brownsburg can't blame anyone but themselves for this one.   I live two miles from BD and 6 miles from Brownsburg so I didn't care who won the game.

How about when playing four quarters you continue to do the things that worked for you in the first three?

Edited by temptation
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

I didn't see the game...but can anyone explain why Brownsburg put the ball in the air, leading to a pick 6 that flipped the game around?  Up 25-7 with about 7 min or so left in Q4 with one of the best RB's in the state, and someone decides pass is the best option?  Defense holding the Giants to 7 halfway through the Q4.  On the outside, has me scratching my head.

I didn't see, so perhaps good reason to air the ball.  Would love some context from someone there or who watched game.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, BTF said:

I didn't see it either, but it does seem perplexing. They seemed to have had the game in the bag at that point. Maybe they were being greedy and  going for the jugular? Not sure what the relationship is between the two schools or if Brownsburg had any motive to run the score up. Win and move on. 

Addressed this in another thread, but there are many teams that do this self-damaging technique of abandoning what's working during a game.  In some cases, it comes from nothing more than being creatures of habit.  The game plan says pass and, despite the fact that the running game seems to be working well, we're going to stick with the plan and throw the ball because the plan says to throw the ball anytime we get close to midfield.  Sometimes it's just wanting to rub someone's nose in it and the quickest way is often going to the air.  Sometimes it's trying to end the game early or at least take the other team's fight out of them.  To some extent, that can be understandable as, if you can get the opponent in the locker room at half arguing about who's sitting next to the window, then the second half is a lot easier.  Sometimes it's impatience and worry from the leading team that they might be the victims of a quick strike and all of a sudden be in a dogfight.

Loved watching Harrison last night take what worked and forcing the other team out of their zone.  Harrison went into the half with a last second field goal to be up 25-13 and getting the ball to start the second half.  By the time they got to the end of the first half, it was clear that they were able to ground and pound as well as exploit the edges.  They came out at the half and drove the ball 85+ yards with the vast majority on the ground and ate up the first 5 minutes of the second half.  Rather than going for the coup de grace and a quick score, they stuck with what was working and what worked perfectly against Plainfield's offense ... keeping them off of the field and forcing them into a situation of having to go to the air a lot.  With Plainfield's 87.5 QB rating for the season and an average of one passing TD a game, Harrison's stuck with the running game that was working for them and, more importantly, just strangled the clock.  They then took the ball from Plainfield and, on their second possession of the half, killed the entire rest of the 3rd quarter on the ground and ate another three minutes on top of that in the 4th and put up another score.  Wasn't sure if the wind sound was the rain coming in or the air going out of Plainfield, but in just two possessions, and by the time Plainfield touched the ball for the second time that half, there were only 8 1/2 minutes left in that game and Harrison now had a 39-13 lead.  The rain then came in and made it even more problematic for Plainfield as they just weren't built to come from behind, especially with a passing game, and Harrison did a great job of not helping them at all by sticking with what was working.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, BLACKGOLD2007 said:

I feel this way about what they did with basketball this past season...two games in semi-state? Penn beats the brakes off of Hammond Central, then comes out cold to get (in my opinion of the rules) jobbed against Kokomo....to watch Ben Davis then dominate Kokomo at state...Not saying Penn would have won, but they had the shooters to give Ben Davis a game. They already played them earlier in the season, and knew what they would be getting at State... 

Maybe not the exact same, but I think similar. I feel I am going to get heat for this opinion. 

In the "old" days of one-class basketball, the regionals, semi-state, and state finals ALL had 2 games in one day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gindie said:

Ok, here's what I don't understand regarding the angst that this game was in the first round.  It was going to occur next week, anyway.

But it's ok only at the high school level? What if the NCAA decided to use ping pong balls to decide the 12 team playoff? Is it ok if Michigan and Georgia drew each other in the first round? Temp liked your comment, but he'd be pissed if that happened. What about the NFL? I'm not sure why it's "no big deal" a the high school level. 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2023 at 10:12 AM, temptation said:

LOL, gotta love folks who blindly follow and don't question things..."pranksters"...

Many folks will likely keep their bullet proof vest in the closet and safely watch from the comfort of their home (assuming its on IHSAATV)...they've (not just BD) made it more difficult/inconvenient than ever to attend high school football games in person.

Its honestly sad.

I know it’s bait, but **** you.

What’s sad is you trying to undermine someone who is close to the school when it comes to the situation. If you have something more to add, please share it with the Wayne township PD. If your info is sensitive to any ongoing investigation, then you’re an idiot for opening your mouth in the first place since this is a public forum.

I’m a soft, north side private school kid from Indy, and I felt perfectly safe at this game. I never once felt that I needed a bulletproof vest. I sat right next to the student section. All that I saw was a lot of passionate football fans having fun in the stands. It was awesome. 10/10 experience. 

Edited for brevity.

Edited by BigBrebeufFan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, temptation said:

How about when playing four quarters you continue to do the things that worked for you in the first three?

Brownsburg had like 4 big boy plays from their wr and the rb that set up the scores. It wasn’t like they were consistently gashing the giants. BD coughed it up like 3 or 4 times in the first half. BB should have put them away early but didn’t. 

8 hours ago, BigBrebeufFan said:

I know it’s bait, but **** you.

What’s sad is you trying to undermine someone who is close to the school when it comes to the situation. If you have something more to add, please share it with the Wayne township PD. If your info is sensitive to any ongoing investigation, then you’re an idiot for opening your mouth in the first place since this is a public forum.

I’m a soft, north side private school kid from Indy, and I felt perfectly safe at this game. I never once felt that I needed a bulletproof vest. I sat right next to the student section. All that I saw was a lot of passionate football fans having fun in the stands. It was awesome. 10/10 experience. 

Edited for brevity.

The same person applauding Ben Davis’ home crowd attendance all season when even someone who is blind in one eye can see it’s pretty pathetic, lol.

16 hours ago, temptation said:

The same person applauding Ben Davis’ home crowd attendance all season when even someone who is blind in one eye can see it’s pretty pathetic, lol.

I don't know what else you want from me, Temp. I admitted I was wrong. I guess at this point, you just like to keep agitating. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

I don't know what else you want from me, Temp. I admitted I was wrong. I guess at this point, you just like to keep agitating. 

Eh, maybe guilty of that last accusation and appreciate that you own your mistakes…you owe me nothing.

That being said, words matter.  You have a history of being wrong (and I’m not talking solely about just picking football games) so I take many of your opinions with a grain of salt.  Nothing personal.

• Disdain 2

On 10/27/2023 at 9:49 PM, temptation said:

October Brownsburg strikes again…

Running back has carried the ball 22 times for nearly 170 yards and you have an 18 point lead with 9:12 to go…

So you throw the ball in the direction of Mark Zackery and he walks into the end zone.

Absolute coaching malpractice.

Gotkowski showed balls.

Looking at it Brownsburg RB had 25 carries for 167 yards. He had 1 run that was a 65 yd TD early in the game and another 45 yd TD run. Aside from those 2 runs, he had 23 carries for 57 yards (2.4 ypc). Ben Davis was hemming the run game up pretty well but did let 2 long ones go. The top 2 WR's had 8 catches for 101 yds and 2 catches for 106 yds. I like the thought with Ben Davis gearing to stop the run catch them with a pass, but didn't like the decision to throw to Zachary's side. 

AFter that though Brownsburg was totally rattled and that was a problem. You are correct though if you run the ball 3 times and punt up 18 BD has to mount 3 drives. Looks as though they were going for the jugular and it didn't work.

10 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

Looking at it Brownsburg RB had 25 carries for 167 yards. He had 1 run that was a 65 yd TD early in the game and another 45 yd TD run. Aside from those 2 runs, he had 23 carries for 57 yards (2.4 ypc). Ben Davis was hemming the run game up pretty well but did let 2 long ones go. The top 2 WR's had 8 catches for 101 yds and 2 catches for 106 yds. I like the thought with Ben Davis gearing to stop the run catch them with a pass, but didn't like the decision to throw to Zachary's side. 

AFter that though Brownsburg was totally rattled and that was a problem. You are correct though if you run the ball 3 times and punt up 18 BD has to mount 3 drives. Looks as though they were going for the jugular and it didn't work.

Good points as those runs definitely embellish the YPC average...but all they had to do was bleed the clock man.

Not a fan of playing "not to lose" but as a stat nerd I like to follow the win probability charts during sporting events and I am willing to bet that with the ball and an 18 point lead with 9:12 to go, Brownsburg's win probability was over 90 percent.

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Good points as those runs definitely embellish the YPC average...but all they had to do was bleed the clock man.

Not a fan of playing "not to lose" but as a stat nerd I like to follow the win probability charts during sporting events and I am willing to bet that with the ball and an 18 point lead with 9:12 to go, Brownsburg's win probability was over 90 percent.

I don't disagree at all. It was without a doubt. I personally think the OC was looking that hey we have hit some big passes on them and they probably aren't expecting the pass. The biggest problem is it should have been relayed DO NOT throw to Zachary's side of the field. The best option would have been to run and punt. There was definitely a pucker effect after the pick six.

2 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

I don't disagree at all. It was without a doubt. I personally think the OC was looking that hey we have hit some big passes on them and they probably aren't expecting the pass. The biggest problem is it should have been relayed DO NOT throw to Zachary's side of the field. The best option would have been to run and punt. There was definitely a pucker effect after the pick six.

Ben Davis' greatest enemy was the clock down 3 scores.  The pick 6 not only reduced the gap, but reduced the size of the clock enemy.  Just not smart...put the ball in the hands of a Mr. Football candidate....eat clock, punt if needed and flip the field.  Their defense had been solid all game.  The decision to pass almost seems like you don't trust your D.  

You just don't give a team a reason to believe..........

Complete head scratcher......

On 10/28/2023 at 8:38 AM, BLACKGOLD2007 said:

Right now, Westfield feels like they are the class of 6A North. I was a little shocked that Carmel didn't put up much of a fight on their home turf. 

Carroll going down to Warsaw, has me confused. Warsaw has put together a strong season, but with their face plant against Mishawaka, I just don't know where everyone falls up here...could be a one off, it is so hard to tell. I thought Carroll, with their big game experience, would be able to get past Warsaw. I cannot imagine Carroll was looking beyond Warsaw, but kids do dumb kids stuff.

Assuming that they win another road game, this time at Noblesville, Westfield gets the winner of Fishers vs HSE. Since Westfield is in the bottom half of this sectional's bracket, that would give them a home game, regardless of who wins Fishers vs HSE, since Westfield would have already played two sectional road games. Westfield beat both during the regular season. Both of those teams will be tough outs. Westfield was all but beaten at HSE, but came up with a hook and lateral play that went for big yardage, and set up the winning TD with no time left on the clock. So it's going to be a battle, again, assuming they can get by Noblesville on Friday.

6 hours ago, temptation said:

Eh, maybe guilty of that last accusation and appreciate that you own your mistakes…you owe me nothing.

That being said, words matter.  You have a history of being wrong (and I’m not talking solely about just picking football games) so I take many of your opinions with a grain of salt.  Nothing personal.

Fine. I'll take my leave then. I'm not wrong about what happened during the Warren/BD game though. 

Edited by BDGiant93
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BDGiant93 said:

Fine. I'll take my leave then. I'm not wrong about what happened during the Warren/BD game though. 

Don't take your leave...trust me when it comes to credibility on this forum, your history speaks for itself.  Don't let someone who chooses to make ridiculous comments dicate what you choose to do.  Very much value your views on GID.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Don't take your leave...trust me when it comes to credibility on this forum, your history speaks for itself.  Don't let someone who chooses to make ridiculous comments dicate what you choose to do.  Very much value your views on GID.

Carson Steele is a "burner."

23 minutes ago, WestfieldRocks said:

Yea, I remember even in the late 80's, CG was still thought of as a "country school". I worked with a guy whose kid was a QB back then. The dad was not pleased with the coaching, so "transferred" him to Lawrence N. 

A country school in the 80s huh?  I agree.

20 hours ago, temptation said:

Carson Steele is a "burner."

I never said anything remotely close to your comment...I went back to the Carson Steele thread of his speed debate, and NO ONE said that.  I repeatedly asked you how many times have you saw him chased down from behind at the high school and collegiate level and to no surprise, you had no response.

Dishonesty is not a virtue.  

image.png.24a688e7db689166e8426609eccf41da.png