Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2023 Conference Indiana (what's left of it)

Conference Indiana final standings:

CONFERENCE INDIANA

CONFERENCE ALL GAMES
  W-L Pts OP W-L Pts OP Streak
Bloomington North 5-0 192 113 9-0 338 170 Won 9
Bloomington South 4-1 239 53 8-1 417 95 Won 5
Columbus North 3-2 141 113 4-5 209 197 Won 1
Terre Haute South 2-3 130 108 4-5 244 226 Lost 1
Southport 1-4 70 177 1-8 123 344 Lost 2
Terre Haute North 0-5 19 227 0-9 72 403 Lost 9

@ptr still doing the pick em for the tourney??

Yes. I haven't put up week 9 results yet, but I'm going to extend it into the first games of the sectionals since all teams are involved and I think I will discontinue it after the initial sectional games. I think if I had it to do all over again, I would have added a couple of "wild card" games from neighboring conferences since there are only six teams in the CI. Having two of the worst teams in the state in the conference this season made for some easy lop-sided picks and there weren't too many games where picking a contest was somewhat of a challenge. 

Edited by ptr

Pick'em results for Week 9:

LC_Bears_04 (4-0) - 28-5

Frozen Tundra (4-0) - 28-5

ptr (3-1) - 28-5

Bulldog15 (4-0) - 26-7

MuleDriver (3-1) - 21-12

THPD262 (4-0) - 24-3 (Weeks 3 thru 9)

I'm extending this through the first sectional games on Oct 27 and will discontinue the Pick'em after that. There are a couple of games that aren't that easy to pick. Opening round games on Oct 27 are as follows:

Southport @ Indianapolis Tech

Jeffersonville @ Columbus North

Whiteland @ Terre Haute North

Franklin @ Terre Haute South

Bloomington South @ Bloomington North

Odds of winning the 6A and 5A tournaments for CI teams according to Harrell's site. They have Bloom. South with the best odds of winning the 5A title at 27.39 percent with Mishawaka, Valparaiso, and Ft. Wayne Snider with the next best odds and their odds are bunched together closely between 13 and 14 percent. Col. North and Southport are given little to no chance to make it past the 6A sectionals. How they came about their analytic formulas on this I have no idea although they said it was based on ratings, draw, and home field. 

SECTIONAL 7
  SECT REGN SEMI STATE
Warren Central 62.77% 16.27% 2.82% .84%
Perry Meridian 29.26% 4.73% .46% .08%
Southport 6.90% .25%    
Indianapolis Tech 1.06% .02%  
SECTIONAL 8
  SECT REGN SEMI STATE
Center Grove 71.50% 62.25% 30.78% 20.73%
Franklin Central 18.90% 12.87% 3.11% 1.22%
Columbus North 9.48% 3.61% .30% .04%
Jeffersonville .11% .01%  
SECTIONAL 14
  SECT REGN SEMI STATE
Whiteland 51.91% 21.07% 7.46% 2.73%
Franklin 25.04% 9.13% 2.92% .95%
Terre Haute South 22.61% 7.90% 2.43% .76%
Terre Haute North .44% .02%  
SECTIONAL 15
  SECT REGN SEMI STATE
Bloomington South 61.47% 52.32% 39.27% 27.39%
Bloomington North 21.63% 15.36% 8.60% 4.13%
Seymour 14.70% 7.83% 2.86% .84%
Columbus East 2.20% .67% .12% .02%
  • Like 1

Bloomington South @ Bloomington North - Even tho bhsn defeated bhss regular season a lot of people don't know what a disaster our center was with all the lost yardage with bad snaps and delays in plays caused by bad snaps. I suspect bhss is the better team now that the center has more experience. could be bhsn just is their year and something odd and strange will lead them to a W , like what happened in week 4.  

1 hour ago, MuleDriver said:

Bloomington South @ Bloomington North - Even tho bhsn defeated bhss regular season a lot of people don't know what a disaster our center was with all the lost yardage with bad snaps and delays in plays caused by bad snaps. I suspect bhss is the better team now that the center has more experience. could be bhsn just is their year and something odd and strange will lead them to a W , like what happened in week 4.  

I completely agree with this and I have no ties to either school. South has been more impressive to me this year than North. I think South will beat them by 10+ points.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MuleDriver said:

I posted earlier that 10 of North's 17 points scored in regulation came after snaps that went over the head of Alley, with one traveling 25+ yards pinning the Panthers against their goal line and requiring a punt out of the back of the end zone. South didn't have any snap problems leading up to that game and they have had none since that game. North deserved to win that game since mistakes are a big part of the game, but it left me with a bad taste that the better team didn't win. Overall, I think this may, and I repeat may be South's best team since the Rex Grossman-led Panther team that throttled Homestead in the 5A championship game quite a few years ago. However, they have to prove it on the field starting with the North game. 

4 hours ago, ptr said:

Overall, I think this may, and I repeat may be South's best team since the Rex Grossman-led Panther team 

There's no doubt in my mind that the best team since 98 was the 2014 team that lost to Cathedral in OT in the semistate. This team may be right in there in the discussion though. 

My Oct 27th sectional picks for CI:

Southport @ Indianapolis Tech - I made the comment when the Cardinals beat TH North that it was their first win of the season and probably their only win of the season. I didn't take into consideration that they were in the same sectional with Indy Tech which is who they drew. Southport appears to be the better team and should win this game over a winless Titan team by two TDs. 

Jeffersonville @ Columbus North - Jeffersonville (0-9) is probably the worst team in the HHC this season and weren't competitive in any of their losses until the last game of the regular season where they went 2 OTs before losing to Jennings County. The Bull Dogs are easily the better team here and could win this game by 4+ TDs at home. 

Whiteland @ Terre Haute North - Whiteland finished the regular season at 5-4 in what was probably the most competitive conference in the state this season in the Mid-State Conference. There was so much parity in the Mid-State Conference that it was difficult for anyone to predict outcomes from one week to the next. The Warriors could enter the 2nd half of this game with a running clock over a Patriot team that is headed for a winless season. Whiteland by 4+ TDs.

Franklin @ Terre Haute South - Franklin is another one of those Mid-State Conference teams that is entering this game with a 5-4 record. However, the Grizzly Cubs seemed to regress some over the latter part of the season and were shut out by a good, but not great Decatur Central team, 36-0, and they went 2-3 over that period. TH South went 4-2 over the latter part of their schedule including a close 2-point loss at Col. North. This game will be close and I'm going with the home team by 7 points. 

Bloomington South @ Bloomington North - Both teams will be fired up for their crosstown rival, but the Panthers have a little extra incentive to reverse a loss to the Cougars in the fourth game of the season. In that game, the Panthers went through North's defense on their opening possession like a hot knife through butter to take a quick 7-0 lead, but then all of a sudden had all kinds of problems snapping the ball which would last for much of the rest of the game. Even with all of the snap problems, South took the game into overtime with the Cougars successfully rolling the dice on a two-point conversion to win it in the first OT. The Panthers didn't have any snap problems leading up to that game and haven't had any snap problems since that game. I see South winning this game by at least 7-10 points.

On 10/15/2023 at 6:55 PM, ptr said:

Pick'em results for Week 9:

LC_Bears_04 (4-0) - 28-5

Frozen Tundra (4-0) - 28-5

ptr (3-1) - 28-5

Bulldog15 (4-0) - 26-7

MuleDriver (3-1) - 21-12

THPD262 (4-0) - 24-3 (Weeks 3 thru 9)

I'm extending this through the first sectional games on Oct 27 and will discontinue the Pick'em after that. There are a couple of games that aren't that easy to pick. Opening round games on Oct 27 are as follows:

Bloomington South @ Bloomington North

Southport

Columbus North

Whiteland

Terre Haute South

Bloomington South

On 10/16/2023 at 1:10 PM, Bulldog15 said:

Southport

Columbus North

Whiteland

Terre Haute South

I want to change one of my picks.  Please disregard the post from before.

Southport

Columbus North

Whiteland

Franklin

adding Terre Haute South

Just now, Bulldog15 said:

adding Terre Haute South

Dang it.  I mean Bloomington South

Pick'em results from sectional play:

LC_Bears_04 (5-0) - 33-5

ptr (5-0) - 33-5

Frozen Tundra (4-1) - 32-6

Bulldog15 (4-1) - 30-8

MuleDriver (5-0) - 26-12

THPD262 (no picks) - 24-3 (Weeks 3 thru 9)

There are four CI teams still alive so we will go one more week with sectional championship picks. Here are the games:

Warren Central @ Southport

Center Grove @ Columbus North

Terre Haute South @ Whiteland

Bloomington South @ Seymour

5 hours ago, ptr said:

Pick'em results from sectional play:

LC_Bears_04 (5-0) - 33-5

ptr (5-0) - 33-5

Frozen Tundra (4-1) - 32-6

Bulldog15 (4-1) - 30-8

MuleDriver (5-0) - 26-12

THPD262 (no picks) - 24-3 (Weeks 3 thru 9)

There are four CI teams still alive so we will go one more week with sectional championship picks. Here are the games:

Warren Central @ Southport

Center Grove @ Columbus North

Terre Haute South @ Whiteland

Bloomington South @ Seymour

Warren Central

Center Grove

Whiteland

Bloomington South

Picks for sectional championship week:

Warren Central @ Southport - Warren Central has a 4-6 record going into the game against a difficult schedule and three of their six losses were by four points or less. Southport managed two wins on the season counting their sectional opener win over Indy Tech which is a tiny improvement over the last two seasons where they went a combined 0-20. Their two wins this season were over opponents that finished a combined 0-20 on the season. I honestly don't know the situation there at Southport, but HC Alex Bettag is a combined 2-28 over three seasons going into this game, so one would have to think he is on thin ice there. The Warriors will win this game going away. 

Center Grove @ Columbus North - The Trojans lost their season opener to Ohio-power St. Edward and has since reeled off nine straight wins against a tough schedule. It's goes without saying that it would be a monumentally huge upset if the Bulldogs win this game, and they are probably headed for back-to-back 5-6 seasons. Center Grove wins the game by at least 4 TDs.

Terre Haute South @ Whiteland - The Braves (5-5) head on the road to play a good, but not great Warriors team (6-4) out of the highly competitive Mid-State Conference. This appears to be the one game this week involving a CI team that may be pretty competitive. If TH South can get enough stops, they have a good enough offense to spring what would be a small upset. Whiteland is 3-1 on their home turf, so I'm going with them to win by 10-13 points. 

Bloomington South @ Seymour - South shut out the Owls on the Panthers' home field in game nine of the season while winning 47-0. I expect the Owls to change up a few things after reviewing tape of the first game, and probably try to spring some gadget plays on the Panthers. However, I think the Panthers balanced pass/run attack will still be too much again for the Owls. The Panthers would be wise to not take the Owls lightly after the first game, and I don't expect another shutout, but I do see the Panthers winning by 3+ TDs.

Edited by ptr
  • Like 1

On 10/30/2023 at 6:06 PM, ptr said:

Picks for sectional championship week:

Warren Central @ Southport - Warren Central has a 4-6 record going into the game against a difficult schedule and three of their six losses were by four points or less. Southport managed two wins on the season counting their sectional opener win over Indy Tech which is a tiny improvement over the last two seasons where they went a combined 0-20. Their two wins this season were over opponents that finished a combined 0-20 on the season. I honestly don't know the situation there at Southport, but HC Alex Bettag is a combined 2-28 over three seasons going into this game, so one would have to think he is on thin ice there. The Warriors will win this game going away. 

Center Grove @ Columbus North - The Trojans lost their season opener to Ohio-power St. Edward and has since reeled off nine straight wins against a tough schedule. It's goes without saying that it would be a monumentally huge upset if the Bulldogs win this game, and they are probably headed for back-to-back 5-6 seasons. Center Grove wins the game by at least 4 TDs.

Terre Haute South @ Whiteland - The Braves (5-5) head on the road to play a good, but not great Warriors team (6-4) out of the highly competitive Mid-State Conference. This appears to be the one game this week involving a CI team that may be pretty competitive. If TH South can get enough stops, they have a good enough offense to spring what would be a small upset. Whiteland is 3-1 on their home turf, so I'm going with them to win by 10-13 points. 

Bloomington South @ Seymour - South shut out the Owls on the Panthers' home field in game nine of the season while winning 47-0. I expect the Owls to change up a few things after reviewing tape of the first game, and probably try to spring some gadget plays on the Panthers. However, I think the Panthers balanced pass/run attack will still be too much again for the Owls. The Panthers would be wise to not take the Owls lightly after the first game, and I don't expect another shutout, but I do see the Panthers winning by 3+ TDs.

@ptr  decided to go to game tonite 1st game this year. word in the stands  is our kicker broke his collar bone. he is a excellent kicker too

.. Imagine that ..... 

3 minutes ago, MuleDriver said:

@ptr  decided to go to game tonite 1st game this year. word in the stands  is our kicker broke his collar bone. he is a excellent kicker too

.. Imagine that ..... 

Great, just great. As you indicated, he is an excellent place kicker and punter with a great range. Bryce Taylor is a junior so he has one more year of eligibility. 

4 minutes ago, ptr said:

Great, just great. As you indicated, he is an excellent place kicker and punter with a great range. Bryce Taylor is a junior so he has one more year of eligibility. 

Just goes to prove 1hat I keep saying. every year key pieces get season ending injuries. I was starting to think South had a good chance this year. he's hit a 40+ yarder this year and always gets a touch back on kickoffs. real disappointing. 

7 minutes ago, MuleDriver said:

Just goes to prove 1hat I keep saying. every year key pieces get season ending injuries. I was starting to think South had a good chance this year. he's hit a 40+ yarder this year and always gets a touch back on kickoffs. real disappointing. 

I just saw a post from the H-T beat writer that he broke the collarbone weightlifting.

55 minutes ago, ptr said:

I just saw a post from the H-T beat writer that he broke the collarbone weightlifting.

How does that even happen. top team in your class and our kicker is lifting weights in playoffs and breaks a collar bone..... something ain't right happens way to much.