Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Crown Point at Penn

5 minutes ago, BTF said:

I'll buy all your other points, but not this one. 

Idk man, it might be slightly hyperbolic, but 2018 Valpo took Carmel to the wire in semi-state and 2019 Valpo was monstrous. This year’s team is decent but in reality I think they’d be really lucky to keep it within 3 scores of either of those teams. 

11 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

Idk man, it might be slightly hyperbolic, but 2018 Valpo took Carmel to the wire in semi-state and 2019 Valpo was monstrous. This year’s team is decent but in reality I think they’d be really lucky to keep it within 3 scores of either of those teams. 

Those Valpo teams were probably better, I'll give you that. But a running clock isn't happening , not even close. People tend to forget that Valpo won a state championship last year and returned 19 starters from that team. This year's team isn't flashy, but they have good line play, good running backs, an experienced signal caller, and good defense. 

3 minutes ago, BTF said:

Penn winning three of the next five 6A state titles. 

Very doubtful , but saying a team is the future that only has won a Sectional is putting the cart before the horse. CP is a much improved program . They have some absolute Senior studs ,lets see how they rebuild next year and the following year before calling them the future . 

9 minutes ago, BTF said:

I’d settle for being competitive against a school within 25 miles of monument circle…

Just now, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

Very doubtful , but saying a team is the future that only has won a Sectional is putting the cart before the horse. CP is a much improved program . They have some absolute Senior studs ,lets see how they rebuild next year and the following year before calling them the future . 

Said the conversation might be worthy of beginning.

47 minutes ago, BTF said:

Huh, are they doing the Harbaugh thing now?? LOL. It would be great for Penn to make a resurgences in 6A. Need to get Penn & Snider into an regular season agreement. 

5 minutes ago, psaboy said:

Huh, are they doing the Harbaugh thing now?? LOL. It would be great for Penn to make a resurgences in 6A. Need to get Penn & Snider into an regular season agreement. 

It'll be awhile, Snider is locked in with East Noble and Warsaw. 

54 minutes ago, temptation said:

I’d settle for being competitive against a school within 25 miles of monument circle…

Was it 2017 when they manhandled Carmel? Just seems like a few years ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Since 2017 Cathedral’s been the only team Penn has played within 25 miles of monument circle. I guess beating the brakes off Carmel 34-7 in 17 wasn’t competitive??? Yes I know, we took a beating the following week. What about 2015 that wasn’t competitive? I believe it was 21-16 well into the 4 th quarter when CG tacked on a score. You don’t seem to understand, when Penn plays an Indy area team, it’s either a top 5 team or the best team in Indy. So quit referring to Indy as a whole. You don’t think Penn would be competitive with North Central, Perry Meridian, etc?

6 hours ago, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

Not even then. If they win the Regional this year and next year , then we can start . Again lets look at Carroll  everyone (even myself) was saying  they may be the 6A north team of the future . They went from state runnerup to out in the first round of the playoffs . 

Good point, but you can argue it's easier for good teams to go home early in the four team sectional. Carroll is likely remain ascendant. It's probably true that with steady leadership that Crown Point is ascendant as well.

6 hours ago, temptation said:

Nah, Penn historically has higher standards than regional championships.

That's true. I think some forget the many years in the Geesman era where Penn didn't get out of the sectional or win the regional, but I agree that you can't call Penn the future based on a sectional championship. 

6 hours ago, BTF said:

When Geesman was at the helm, they reloaded every year bar none and were considered Top 4 in the state regardless of class. With Yoeman, they're more like a yoyo. Top 25 seems to be the new bar. If Penn wins state this year, there's no reason to believe they'll get out of sectional next season. It just seems like that lately for the Kingsmen.

There is a lot to unpack here. In a sense you're right, Penn has experienced more fluctuation under Yeoman, although it might look more that way because 2019-2021 were bad teams, and not just by Penn standards. I think the elephant in the room is Penn had to replace a number of hall of fame/great coaches at the end of the Geesman era and over the course of Cory's time as head coach. Already some of those replacements--good coaches in their own right--have had to be replaced over the past five to ten years. But it's also true that Penn has played and continues to play more games against better competition under Yeoman than they ever did under Geesman--out of necessity, if nothing else. One negative that has come with that is there are more instances where they've been shown up. The field was just so much more limited during Geesman's time. And still, as I mentioned it above, there were plenty of years when Geesman's teams couldn't get out the sectional or win the regional--as I'm sure you're aware of being a Fort Wayne guy. To your point, Penn could certainly be out in the first round next year even if they somehow win a state championship this year, but that seems more like a function of the sectionals getting more competitive, generally, with the field cut in half.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

Since 2017 Cathedral’s been the only team Penn has played within 25 miles of monument circle. I guess beating the brakes off Carmel 34-7 in 17 wasn’t competitive??? Yes I know, we took a beating the following week. What about 2015 that wasn’t competitive? I believe it was 21-16 well into the 4 th quarter when CG tacked on a score. You don’t seem to understand, when Penn plays an Indy area team, it’s either a top 5 team or the best team in Indy. So quit referring to Indy as a whole. You don’t think Penn would be competitive with North Central, Perry Meridian, etc?

I guess the images of the BD/Warren/Carmel state final contests are just burned into my memory.  Guilty.

5 minutes ago, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

Get over it , we have . For some reason , you keep bringing up those games , one of them 20 years ago . What's your vendetta against Penn ? Let it rest dude . 

No vendetta, just can’t ignore collapses on the biggest stage.  

Coaches still give the “coach speak” regularly but off the record most in central Indy don’t view Penn as a threat.  Sorry.

Edited by temptation

Look, to be fair and as even as possible.  Penn's trajectory has been downward over the last 5-6 seasons.  Last year was an improvement by record, but the Carroll result was typical of Penn's outcomes in the seasons prior. Penn this year is by far way better than last year. However, they have a tendency to come out flat, they did it in their biggest game in Cathedral (not saying they the game's result would have changed, but if they came out with some fire maybe it isn't as bad)....As a die hard Penn fan, hate the fact that we are not competitive with the teams down in Indy...to be honest, we haven't been for the most part since my freshman year in 03....We have had seasons where we beat Carmel...but look what happened at state the next week... Even if Penn beats CP, Westfield or HSE will likely handle Penn in the same manor that Cathedral did. 

CP, I take the I will believe it when I see stance. The beat good Valpo and M'ville teams, but overall the rest of their conference and schedule was down....that is not to the fault of CP. Penn has the same issue, the NIC is not good. (sorry co-NIC members) There is no benefit in the conference games....However, I think Penn would be better off in the DAC than the NIC...what does that say about the DAC? 

What I want from this game....Bobref probably hates me, but I want a ref crew that will call the game both ways, I want Penn to come out and execute on both sides of the ball. I want to see CP at their best, and I want the team that wins to go on and compete well in Semi-state.  I am tired of "always" getting whipped by schools from Indy...6A north (the true north, sounds like game of thrones) needs a state title....IDC who wins it CP, Penn Carroll, we need 1. 

15 minutes ago, BLACKGOLD2007 said:

However, I think Penn would be better off in the DAC than the NIC...what does that say about the DAC? 

I believe Elklhart Central was the hold up last time around when the Duneland was courting Penn. IIRC, the DAC wanted Penn and Mishawaka but those 2 wouldn't come without Elkhart Central. Mishawaka is clearly not in the picture anymore and Penn shouldn't ride a sinking ship with Elkhart. IMO, the DAC should bring in Penn and throw a bone to either Elkhart or New Prairie. The Conference needed a shot in the arm when Hobart left and they got it with Crown Point and then later with Lake Central. It's time for a change. The DAC needs Penn and Penn needs the DAC. You could go East/West to balance it out in football and allow OOC scheduling. 

West:

• Merrillville
  • Lake Central
  • Crown Point
  • Portage
  • Chesterton

East: 

• Valpo
  • Penn
  • New Prairie/Elkhart
  • Michigan City
  • LaPorte

Schedule 2 Cross Over games and Conference placement games in Week 9 similiar to the Hoosier Conference. Penn is already on a majority of DAC schedules in all sports. The DAC and Penn can overcome the time zone differences. 

@Boilernation I agree 100% with your thoughts. I think the East/West split is most do-able. I would like to see a more competitive split...Penn plays Valpo every year, so my thoughts would be:

Side A:

-Penn

-Elkhart/NP

-Merrillville 

-LaPorte

-Chesterton

Side B

-CP

-Michigan City

-Lake Central

-Valpo

-Portage

I think this is the most balanced approach when it comes to guaranteed yearly opponents.  Either way works. You still do the two crossover games that is 6 total leaving 3 non-conference games to be played. This allows Penn to keep Mishawaka, play a Fort Wayne school and pick up a school from around Indy....This improves Penn's schedule 100 fold in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, temptation said:

No vendetta, just can’t ignore collapses on the biggest stage.  

Coaches still give the “coach speak” regularly but off the record most in central Indy don’t view Penn as a threat.  Sorry.

Who the F said they did ?? Just thought you needed to throw that in didn't you Temp . Your a real piece of work .