Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

“Recruiting is real in high school."

41 minutes ago, Whiting89 said:

I hope hs associations become more like ncaa and allow open transfers and recruiting 

I’m in favor of the IHSAA relaxing (but not removing) its rules on transfers.  As for recruiting, I guess that depends what you mean by that.

But, whatever they do, they have to become more consistent.

I think the IHSAA has become corrupted.  Not in the sense of taking bribes, etc. - but in the sense of being selective about their enforcement….and their selectivity usually seems to find its way back to their stated objective of leveling out success.

• Like 1

With school choice and open enrollment, there is a lot of recruiting going on in the public schools.  We still receive mail trying to get my kids to transfer to Beech Grove or Center Grove and they have both graduated from college!

IPS is a horrible system so lots of IPS athletes end up at other publics (e.g., Franklin Central or Triton Central), P/Ps (e.g., Chatard or Roncalli), or privates (e.g., Cathedral or Brebeuf).  Triton Central has many athletes who live in Franklin Township and Warren Township of Marion County.  Always an influx of new students after basketball try-outs end.  The same goes for New Pal and other doughnut county schools.  Remember the Indy Star article last season about the brothers who are stud football players at New Pal?  They live in Marion County. 

I do NOT begrudge parents who try to send their kids to better schools!   

20 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Bussing ruined the community feeling of IPS schools. Manuel, as my father repeatedly has told me, was relatively diverse (Black-White) when he graduated in 1968. He grew up playing with people of different skin color. They had some damn good football, basketball and track teams. Bussing didn't ruin the IPS schools "because of diversity." It ruined their identity which is still a huge problem at IPS schools (and some consolidation schools i.e. Pike Central).

Back in my day, Manual, Tech, Broad Ripple, Washington, Attucks, and even Northwest were very good in sports. This was the late 60's, early 70's. You are correct about it ruining not only their identities, but their feeling of community. As a kid, I remember Broad Ripple's run to the title game of the 1963 Semi State, where they lost to Muncie Central. After they won what then was one of the toughest sectional in the state, the one at Butler, the entire Broad Ripple community and area where those kids lived were decked out, businesses with signs, banners, all in orange and black. Fast forward to their 1980 state championship run. Almost nothing like that was seen. Many of the kids on that team did not live in the area. The feeling of the community was not the same.

13 minutes ago, MHS4Life said:

The 4 or 5 that we have came from a public school.  The rest on our roster went to our feeder p/p schools.

Okay, so explain to me how the feeder school works. Because from my understanding, most p/p's don't have their very own feeder. The feeder school can go to multiple p/p schools in an area.

Also may just be a coincidence, but every time those 4 or 5 transfers come into a p/p, they end up being some of the best players on the team. Might just be a coincidence tho. 

Edited by First_Backer_Inside

1 minute ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

Okay, so explain to me how the feeder school works. Because from my understanding, most p/p's don't have their very own feeder. The feeder school can go to multiple p/p schools in an area.

The Evansville Diocese has something like 7 or 8 grade schools in the Evansville area (plus a couple others outside EVV).

The metro area schools feed either into MD or Memorial.  It’s not very complicated.

Not all of the students who graduate from one of these grade schools go to MD or MHS.  But most of them do.  Our roster lists each player’s grade school - and 90+% went to one of these.  We also get some kids from Holy Name in Henderson, which is actually part of the Owensboro Diocese.

2 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

The Evansville Diocese has something like 7 or 8 grade schools in the Evansville area (plus a couple others outside EVV).

The metro area schools feed either into MD or Memorial.  It’s not very complicated.

Not all of the students who graduate from one of these grade schools go to MD or MHS.  But most of them do.  Our roster lists each player’s grade school - and 90+% went to one of these.  We also get some kids from Holy Name in Henderson, which is actually part of the Owensboro Diocese.

I should add that there is a financial component to this between the parishes attached to each of those feeder schools and MD/Memorial.  I think they all work slightly differently on how much HS tuition subsidy they pay on behalf of each parish student.  But most of them kick in some.

2 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

I should add that there is a financial component to this between the parishes attached to each of those feeder schools and MD/Memorial.  I think they all work slightly differently on how much HS tuition subsidy they pay on behalf of each parish student.  But most of them kick in some.

LCC has tuition discount tied to parishes/pastorates that donate to the local annual Catholic Schools campaign. 

Most parishes in the Evansville diocese pay a "tax" that is called HS Assessment, which helps reduce tuition for students coming from their schools. In return, most parishes expect the families to be active parishioners. The assessment amount is different for each parish and involves a calculation few actually understand.  

45 minutes ago, MHS4Life said:

The 4 or 5 that we have came from a public school.  The rest on our roster went to our feeder p/p schools.

One of Evansville Memorials transfer from a Public School is the Athletic Directors son. Pretty good reason for the transfer and no issue with the IHSAA. I should also state the new AD is also a Memorial Alumni.

Edited by FastpacedO

5 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

One of Evansville Memorials transfer from a Public School is the Athletic Directors son. Pretty good reason for the transfer and no issue with the IHSAA. I should also state the new AD is also a Memorial Alumni.

We recruited the heck out of the AD..

I always get a kick when people point out that "x" number of players on our roster are not from Catholic grade schools. The number of kids on public school rosters who went to Catholic grade schools is always higher than the number of kids who went to public schools on the Memorial and MD rosters. Without fail...

Edited by tango

30 minutes ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

You're a p/p. Everyone on your roster is a transfer

That's not necessarily the case.  I think it also misses a fundamental aspect that, the real issue of transfers should be tied to the idea of high school interplay.  If you've been attending Catholic schools since elementary school, I'd say that the term "transfer" really doesn't apply to you if you attend a Catholic school for high school.  To some extent, that also applies to Christian school elementary students who attend Catholic schools for high school.  Here in Lafayette, the local Lutheran school only has grades K-8, so if a family wants to attend a religion-oriented high school education, those students tend to either attend LCC or Faith Christian ... neither of which is Lutheran, but both of which have Christian education. 

At the same time, if you've been attending public schools through 8th grade and end up in a p/p school for 9th, then sure, the term "transfer" applies.  With that said, there are some parishes/pastorates; especially now with the issue of pastorates in play, that could very easily have Catholic elementary schools that could feed into more than one Catholic high school or into a high school that's not even close by.  And there are also exceptions that you can see based on offerings.  For example, Sacred Heart in Fowler has Pre-school - 6th grade.  I could very easily see a family doing pre-K through 6th at Sacred Heart, then traveling to LCC down in Lafayette for junior/senior high ... or even doing pre-K through 6th at Sacred Heart, 7th and 8th at Benton Central and then 9th-12th at LCC.

And before folks write that off as not likely, there was a young man who played youth ball up in Benton County and then ended up at a local Lafayette-area public school for high school.  A back-up player who was at that school, perhaps seeing the writing on the wall, ended up departing to a different Lafayette-area public school his senior year to be a starter if I'm not mistaken.  There's also another young man who played all of his youth ball out of one of the TippCo county schools, only to end up at a Lafayette city school for high school to then end up in the northern part of the state for his senior year. 

1 hour ago, WestfieldRocks said:

Back in my day, Manual, Tech, Broad Ripple, Washington, Attucks, and even Northwest were very good in sports. This was the late 60's, early 70's. You are correct about it ruining not only their identities, but their feeling of community. As a kid, I remember Broad Ripple's run to the title game of the 1963 Semi State, where they lost to Muncie Central. After they won what then was one of the toughest sectional in the state, the one at Butler, the entire Broad Ripple community and area where those kids lived were decked out, businesses with signs, banners, all in orange and black. Fast forward to their 1980 state championship run. Almost nothing like that was seen. Many of the kids on that team did not live in the area. The feeling of the community was not the same.

So surprised that Jeff Robinson, future NFL safety Stacey Toran and King Duke may not have been from the district. Coach Smith........

1 hour ago, WestfieldRocks said:

Washington High School was still pretty good until Coach Springer retired and his traditional T formation left with him. Talk about a man that coached some studs in his career! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, foxbat said:

That's not necessarily the case.  I think it also misses a fundamental aspect that, the real issue of transfers should be tied to the idea of high school interplay.  If you've been attending Catholic schools since elementary school, I'd say that the term "transfer" really doesn't apply to you if you attend a Catholic school for high school.  To some extent, that also applies to Christian school elementary students who attend Catholic schools for high school.  Here in Lafayette, the local Lutheran school only has grades K-8, so if a family wants to attend a religion-oriented high school education, those students tend to either attend LCC or Faith Christian ... neither of which is Lutheran, but both of which have Christian education. 

At the same time, if you've been attending public schools through 8th grade and end up in a p/p school for 9th, then sure, the term "transfer" applies.  With that said, there are some parishes/pastorates; especially now with the issue of pastorates in play, that could very easily have Catholic elementary schools that could feed into more than one Catholic high school or into a high school that's not even close by.  And there are also exceptions that you can see based on offerings.  For example, Sacred Heart in Fowler has Pre-school - 6th grade.  I could very easily see a family doing pre-K through 6th at Sacred Heart, then traveling to LCC down in Lafayette for junior/senior high ... or even doing pre-K through 6th at Sacred Heart, 7th and 8th at Benton Central and then 9th-12th at LCC.

And before folks write that off as not likely, there was a young man who played youth ball up in Benton County and then ended up at a local Lafayette-area public school for high school.  A back-up player who was at that school, perhaps seeing the writing on the wall, ended up departing to a different Lafayette-area public school his senior year to be a starter if I'm not mistaken.  There's also another young man who played all of his youth ball out of one of the TippCo county schools, only to end up at a Lafayette city school for high school to then end up in the northern part of the state for his senior year. 

When explained like this I can understand and support the non transfer idea. The way I see it though, p/p's don't have a true elementary or middle school most times than not. So when they come from a "feeder school" that they still have options on where to go and they choose a p/p, I see that as them transferring in as freshman. Others may not see it that way but that's what I see it as. Again I understand many especially those more linked to p/p's don't see it that way but just my opinion on the matter.