Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

“Recruiting is real in high school."

12 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

Think of Warren Central and Ben Davis similar to Carroll and Homestead. Homestead and Carroll are not part of Fort Wayne Public Schools just like Warren Central, Pike, North Central, Lawrence North, Lawrence Central, Southport, Perry Meridian, Speedway, Franklin Central, and Ben Davis are not part of IPS. The Private/Parochial schools have been around (earliest 1918 Cathedral) even during the hayday when Arsenal Tech, Howe, Washington, etc. were doing very good.

The decline of IPS was a direct result of busing and it has never recovered. From 1973 to 1998 IPS student enrollment plummeted by 64,000 students. It had zero to do with recruiting.

Some PP Catholic schools are tied to specific parishes. Ritter, Roncalli, Chatard, Scecina for ex. are tied to parishes. Cathedral and Brebeuf Jesuit are not. 

1 minute ago, BDGiant93 said:

Some PP Catholic schools are tied to specific parishes. Ritter, Roncalli, Chatard, Scecina for ex. are tied to parishes. Cathedral and Brebeuf Jesuit are not. 

That is correct there still are kids from Public school that attend the Parochial schools not in large numbers though. Same with the Private schools they have a larger percentage of Catholic students than public students, but being private they also have a larger amount of public students than Parochial. Also at the private schools you will see more public students from the Carmel, Westfield, Lawrence, Fishers area than IPS.

1 hour ago, Robert said:

You've got to be kidding me.  His words sound just like somebody talking.  You have to be lying.

No, I'm not lying.   I could glean some what he was trying to say, but I wanted to make sure I 100% understood his statment before replying.   Why is asking for clarification or a restatement such a bad thing, Robert?

20 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

It's 11 by my count.

1940, 1950, 1951, 1954, 1958, 1964, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979

In addition, they were .500 in 1947, 1949 and 1953.

So, all totaled up, the program had 11 winning and a total of 14 non-losing seasons between 1937 and 1983. 

Fair enough.  I got the stat from a bio which appears to be from a retirement community, lol.

https://www.thevillages.com/life/villager-backstory-meet-dick-dullaghan

Edited by gonzoron

9 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

The situation with Memorial and Mater Dei is similar.  Each has a parish feeder system where they get the  vast majority of their students (>97%).  I do not know if this is still the case but as a member of the catholic school board in the mid - late 1990s, there were far more students who left the catholic school system after 8th grade to attend a public high school than left the public grade schools to attend one of the catholic high schools, which is the exact reverse of what many tend to believe.   Part of the reason, at least on the west side of Evansville, was the fact that Reitz has a very good academic reputation and the creation of the "Signature School" which caters to those seeking higher academics.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Titan32 said:

She is perfect for a P/P state championship in soccer.  Three Hail Mary's and Our Father's a day coupled with superior Catholic work ethic and coaching will get her there in no time!

If she hasn't already been playing travel soccer for 4 years she probably has little chance to make our soccer team. It's why we lose some players to other schools because they don't think they can make our team so they go to North, Castle, etc. She could probably make MD's team though as they aren't quite as serious about soccer at MD. Yep, all our kids have to do is say a few prayers and show up, there's no hard work involved whatsoever.  SMH... 

2 hours ago, ragdoll said:

Was it happening over 40 years ago? I know of a high skill qb from Southport who ended up at reigning state champ Carmel as a possible example. Don't know, go figure.

I remember that well. I was at Creston JR. HS at the time. We played against him (freshman team) the one week....and he threw all over the yard against us. And then he ends up starting for the Izods (obscure 80's reference).  I want to even say we played Southport on a Monday and that Friday he was up North. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

The situation with Memorial and Mater Dei is similar.  Each has a parish feeder system where they get the  vast majority of their students (>97%).  I do not know if this is still the case but as a member of the catholic school board in the mid - late 1990s, there were far more students who left the catholic school system after 8th grade to attend a public high school than left the public grade schools to attend one of the catholic high schools, which is the exact reverse of what many tend to believe.   Part of the reason, at least on the west side of Evansville, was the fact that Reitz has a very good academic reputation and the creation of the "Signature School" which caters to those seeking higher academics.

Was discussing this with one of my fellow youth coaches a couple of weeks ago.  The number of kids that left out of the Catholic schools to head to public schools between 4th and 8th grade were way higher than any that came in and definitely higher than any that came in during high school.  This also included kids from Christian schools that played Catholic youth ball and then headed to public schools after 6th grade in the Catholic feeder program.  I recalled just this last season reading through the roster and recognizing names of players whose siblings I'd coached over at LCC and, as we reminisced about the various kids that ended up at public school, we had more than just a couple of names that we went through.

There are fairly set times that you see exodus, at least around this area, pending the Catholic school exodus:

• Right after 2nd grade - Kids make their First Communion in 2nd grade and some families pay for the Catholic education up until their kids make First Communion, then depart for public school.
  • Right after 3rd grade - This is more akin to how two of the schools in the area are set up.  St. Mary services pre-school through 3rd and then students attend St. Boniface from 4th through 6th grade, so 3rd/4th is a natural break point already.  In some cases, these are folks that were doing the Catholic school thing through First Communion and just stick around to the natural break point between the schools and, in other cases, it's just the natural break point.  St. Lawrence does pre-school through 6th, so this is less of something that you see in that school.
  • 7th grade - ASt. Boniface and St. Lawrence funnel their kids over to LCC Junior/Senior High School after 6th grade.  Tuition prices have a slight increase at this point, so some families see this as a break point to move public.  For others, it's not necessarily a tuition issue, but just a point to add the "secular" component to the kids' growth.  Some families go with the foundation in Catholic faith and then expand into the secular education side.  For those already planning public school for high school, this is an early break point that allows their kids to acclimate and acquire a new friend circle before heading to public high school.
  • 9th grade - Tuition costs jump around 30% or so which definitely gets your attention if you aren't 100% bought in to automatic religious education.  Also, another social break point for kids entering public schools as freshman.

14 minutes ago, WestfieldRocks said:

How true! 

Bussing ruined the community feeling of IPS schools. Manuel, as my father repeatedly has told me, was relatively diverse (Black-White) when he graduated in 1968. He grew up playing with people of different skin color. They had some damn good football, basketball and track teams. Bussing didn't ruin the IPS schools "because of diversity." It ruined their identity which is still a huge problem at IPS schools (and some consolidation schools i.e. Pike Central).

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

Was discussing this with one of my fellow youth coaches a couple of weeks ago.  The number of kids that left out of the Catholic schools to head to public schools between 4th and 8th grade were way higher than any that came in and definitely higher than any that came in during high school.  This also included kids from Christian schools that played Catholic youth ball and then headed to public schools after 6th grade in the Catholic feeder program.  I recalled just this last season reading through the roster and recognizing names of players whose siblings I'd coached over at LCC and, as we reminisced about the various kids that ended up at public school, we had more than just a couple of names that we went through.

There are fairly set times that you see exodus, at least around this area, pending the Catholic school exodus:

• Right after 2nd grade - Kids make their First Communion in 2nd grade and some families pay for the Catholic education up until their kids make First Communion, then depart for public school.
  • Right after 3rd grade - This is more akin to how two of the schools in the area are set up.  St. Mary services pre-school through 3rd and then students attend St. Boniface from 4th through 6th grade, so 3rd/4th is a natural break point already.  In some cases, these are folks that were doing the Catholic school thing through First Communion and just stick around to the natural break point between the schools and, in other cases, it's just the natural break point.  St. Lawrence does pre-school through 6th, so this is less of something that you see in that school.
  • 7th grade - ASt. Boniface and St. Lawrence funnel their kids over to LCC Junior/Senior High School after 6th grade.  Tuition prices have a slight increase at this point, so some families see this as a break point to move public.  For others, it's not necessarily a tuition issue, but just a point to add the "secular" component to the kids' growth.  Some families go with the foundation in Catholic faith and then expand into the secular education side.  For those already planning public school for high school, this is an early break point that allows their kids to acclimate and acquire a new friend circle before heading to public high school.
  • 9th grade - Tuition costs jump around 30% or so which definitely gets your attention if you aren't 100% bought in to automatic religious education.  Also, another social break point for kids entering public schools as freshman.

We probably have less "jump-offs" down here, but in Newburgh, we lose some kids from the Catholic school (St. John Baptist) after 6th grade because they head to The Castle middle schools. The Evansville Catholic schools see less exodus. We get about 90% of the East side Catholic schools enrolling at Memorial. I suspect Mater Dei gets about the same, but I'm no longer on any of the boards where I would see the actual numbers. With the income qualification so high, it surprises me that more people don't take advantage of the vouchers. It has been a decent boost, but nothing like what it could be if people took full advantage of the program. We probably get more non-Catholics than MD, but I don't see actual numbers..

Edited by tango
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MHSTigerFan said:

I personally saw a text message sent from the Head Coach of school X to a player at school Y blatantly encouraging him to transfer.

I could hardly believe my eyes.

You mean Reitz? Call it what it is...Look at the roster of Harrison when they won the Sectional. It's the business model... 

Edited by tango
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MHSTigerFan said:

I won’t names names here, even if I probably should.

…..but Reitz (public)?

Without naming particular parties. The whole public/private thing is tiresome as regards the “recruiting” thing.  

Public school recruiting of hoops players is legendary in Indiana.  People literally brag about it.

Edited by Lysander

7 hours ago, MHSTigerFan said:

I won’t names names here, even if I probably should.

Wise decision……this is not the place for it. Report it though to the AD. The challenge in a number of situations has been getting AD’s or other school/district administrators to follow through with reporting. 

15 hours ago, BTF said:

I'm referring to the outside district where IPS athletes are more than likely going. Schools close in proximity like Ben Davis and Warren Central. Maybe the reason IPS schools are among the state's worse has something to do with Lutheran and maybe some other Indy PP's. 

If Lutheran were to have anything to do with Public schools losing kids (which it does not) it would be affecting Southport, Beech Grove, Franklin Central, and maybe Greenwood.  Lutheran has been around since 1976 and has a whopping enrollment of 225.

Even some of your bigger P/P's would have more of an effect on Township schools than IPS. I am being 100% honest when I say IPS leadership is its worst enemy, and busing was the beginning of the death nail to IPS.

Heck Cathedral is literally 5 minutes from Arlington. In 1999 Arlington took Ben Davis to the brink (losing the game 16-15 by a long FG). They beat Cathedral 21-20 in OT that year and Cathedral went on to win State as did Ben Davis. The IPS and their leadership are the reason for closure of Arlington, Broad Ripple, and Northwest. Placing all those eggs in the Arsenal Tech basket worked for basketball not so much for football.

6 hours ago, Lysander said:

…..but Reitz (public)?

Without naming particular parties. The whole public/private thing is tiresome as regards the “recruiting” thing.  

Public school recruiting of hoops players is legendary in Indiana.  People literally brag about it.

You mean to tell me there wasn't something in the water to produce 7 footers north of Fort Harrison State Park? 

the-wizard-of-oz-wizard-of-oz.gif

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Irishman said:

Wise decision……this is not the place for it. Report it though to the AD. The challenge in a number of situations has been getting AD’s or other school/district administrators to follow through with reporting. 

The player in question is one of my son’s best friends.  I encouraged him to report it.  He didn’t want to - which I understood.  And I certainly don’t think it’s my place to do so.

I was just surprised at how blatant it was - and the fact the coach felt comfortable doing it in writing, no less.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

The player in question is one of my son’s best friends.  I encouraged him to report it.  He didn’t want to - which I understood.  And I certainly don’t think it’s my place to do so.

I was just surprised at how blatant it was - and the fact the coach felt comfortable doing it in writing, no less.

burner-phone-bye.gif

9 hours ago, Lysander said:

…..but Reitz (public)?

I think I was the first to reply to this thread and said the exact same thing. In the "recruiting" world - I actually understand that P/P HAVE to do that in some regards ...their schools literally would not exists if they didn't "sell" their schools. However, publics going after other athletes from other publics - to me - that is just flat wrong. 

5 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

Coaches doing so would be Harbaugh-like stupid ...there are plenty of parents out there willing to do the dirty work. We're not allowed to talk about a certain State Championship and how "key pieces" just happened to fall into a certain programs lap conveniently/coincidentally.  

Bottom line, until the IHSAA really wants to take a hardline stance (which they won't) - it will still go on. Get better or get used to it. 

1 hour ago, jets said:

Bottom line, until the IHSAA really wants to take a hardline stance (which they won't) - it will still go on. Get better or get used to it. 

"Get better or get used to it." AMEN jets, AMEN!