Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Crown Point at Penn

I’m with you Temptation on picking this one.  My heart is with Penn but mind says CP.

I usually default to which team wins the line of scrimmage battle. Penn looks small up front on defense but quick. CP strength is the line. I think CP has the advantage up front and will wear down Penn in second half.

On 11/8/2023 at 3:32 PM, psaboy said:

Per ISHAA on how semi state locations are determined.

Classes 2A, 4A & 6A
*Regional non-host, if applicable, or higher sectional # (i.e., Sect. 2 is higher than Sect. 1).

*If regional winner has not hosted either sectional final or regional, that school will be the designated host.

OK, got it now.  Thanks!

Penn does not traditionally have large d-lineman. Even back into the Gees years the D-line was meant to be quick and eat blocks on the run. 

There is so much unknown.  Seems that everyone is thinking it will either be a CP blowout win or a nail biter. 

On 11/8/2023 at 4:30 PM, Gipper said:

Thank you for your opinion.

Noted.

Seems you are taking this a little personally? You could be 100% correct. We will find out tomorrow night. 

On 11/8/2023 at 12:50 PM, RegionFBFan said:

QB is a good player but has had a tendency to play tight in big games at least in the past. In my opinion, he’s more dangerous as a runner not a thrower.

The first part of your statement, I can (sort of) get behind although I will say it wasn't even close to his fault that Hobart lost the 2021 and 2022 Sectional Championships nor did his play severely impact the result. Now, the part after "in my opinion" is blasphemous. He threw for 3,500 Yards in 2 years at Hobart and ran for less than 400 and at Crown Point has thrown for over 1800 this year already and despite his increased usage in the run game by CP, I would bet he still hasn't rushed for over 500 yards this year. Idk if I would call a career 5.300 yard passer (through almost 3 seasons) with about 800-900 career rushing yards "more dangerous as a runner not a thrower." He IS dangerous at extending plays with his feet and finding guys down field but that doesn't make him a "runner." 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, temptation said:

Still can't make my mind up about this one...heart says CP, head says Penn.

Been a tough one to decide all week. I think I like the 'Dogs 24-17 but if Penn won, in any manner, I wouldn't be surprised either. 

In my opinion and if I was a d coordinator, I  would worry about him breaking contain and making plays via his legs. Keep him in the pocket and beat me throwing from pocket. He makes plays with his legs both in passing and running the ball.

Also, are his careers yards over 4 years? He was a starter as a freshman at Hobart. If over 4 years, then I would say pedestrian at best.

Don’t get me wrong, I think he is an excellent athlete and player. I’ve watched him for 4 years and he is not elite in my opinion.

You haven't watched him for 4 years unless you were attending Hobart Middle School games 4 years ago. Lol he is a Junior (2 years at Hobart and 1 at CP), those are his numbers through 3 seasons and I'd say those are far from "pedestrian." I wouldn't say the word elite (yet) either because elite is what Brady Allen and Danny O'Neil are, in comparison, but if you don't think he's the most elite region QB in (at least) the last 15 years, then idk what players you've been watching but I sure would like to see 'em. Lol 

17 hours ago, BLACKGOLD2007 said:

Penn does not traditionally have large d-lineman. Even back into the Gees years the D-line was meant to be quick and eat blocks on the run. 

Plus, it's not like it's some new development for the team coming out of the Region to have a giant, effective offensive line either.

Similarly, because I haven't seen a down of Crown Point, I'd expect this to come down to whether or not Penn's defense can limit CP enough to keep the offense in the game--since historically, the offense has rarely run away with games in the later rounds.

1 hour ago, CoachMack219 said:

You haven't watched him for 4 years unless you were attending Hobart Middle School games 4 years ago. Lol he is a Junior (2 years at Hobart and 1 at CP), those are his numbers through 3 seasons and I'd say those are far from "pedestrian." I wouldn't say the word elite (yet) either because elite is what Brady Allen and Danny O'Neil are, in comparison, but if you don't think he's the most elite region QB in (at least) the last 15 years, then idk what players you've been watching but I sure would like to see 'em. Lol 

Good player, but he can’t hold a candle to DeSommer lmao. 

Edited by scarab527

16 minutes ago, RegionFBFan said:

Right off the top of my head, Matt DeSomer.

Now THERE's a Dual Threat/ Running type guy. In a two year career had like 3,100 rushing and 3,900 passing, I believe. DeSomer was and is a freak but that's the type of guy I envision that you want to keep in the pocket as a DC, not the guy who has thrown for 5,300 and ran for about 900 in 3 years. DeSomer is the only name I would entertain (for the record) for this "name someone better" discussion. 

This was the quintessential if these teams play 10 times what would the outcome be.  They played 48 minutes of heavy weight war on a football field. CP was dangerous running and throwing, Penn was lethal through the air.  It came down to a handful of plays, and CP came out on top of those plays. 

HELL of a game, happy I got to witness it. The range of emotions that both teams and fans went through. The swings of momentum, and those final two drives...CP trying to ice the game, Penn gets a stop and then has to drive 95 yards to have a chance...They get to the CP 29 with 14 seconds left...CP gets a hand on the kick and walk away with the win. 

Yes it sucks we didn't win, but I was proud that the kids never gave up. They fought all the way to the finish line. 

Congrats to the Bulldogs.

5 hours ago, BLACKGOLD2007 said:

This was the quintessential if these teams play 10 times what would the outcome be.  They played 48 minutes of heavy weight war on a football field. CP was dangerous running and throwing, Penn was lethal through the air.  It came down to a handful of plays, and CP came out on top of those plays. 

HELL of a game, happy I got to witness it. The range of emotions that both teams and fans went through. The swings of momentum, and those final two drives...CP trying to ice the game, Penn gets a stop and then has to drive 95 yards to have a chance...They get to the CP 29 with 14 seconds left...CP gets a hand on the kick and walk away with the win. 

Yes it sucks we didn't win, but I was proud that the kids never gave up. They fought all the way to the finish line. 

Congrats to the Bulldogs.

Did they get a hand on the kick? I couldn’t tell. That would be two huge blocks in a row with the first coming on the PAT attempt that would have tied the score at 34.

10 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Did they get a hand on the kick? I couldn’t tell. That would be two huge blocks in a row with the first coming on the PAT attempt that would have tied the score at 34.

Yes, the kick was straight and then as it got to the line of scrimmage the rotation of the ball changed and the path changed as well. 

It was two great plays by CP special teams. I don't fault the call, I personally thought that going for the endzone in that moment was the better play. Penn had CP reeling that drive, I have a strong feeling that Penn could have found a way into the endzone.