Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

3A Regional Championship Gibson Southern (10-2) @ Tri-West (11-1)

SATURDAY, NOV. 11
Sagarin Ratings ©Jeff Sagarin
Gibson Southern (10-2) at Tri-West (11-1)
GAME TIME: 3 pm ET, Hendricks Field.
COACHES: Nick Hart, 125-23 in 12th year at Gibson Southern. Jason Ward, 45-13 in 5th year at Tri-West.
SAGARIN RATINGS: Gibson Southern, 78.3, 33rd overall, 2nd in 3A. Tri-West, 74.63, 44th overall, 6th in 3A.
LAST OUTING: Gibson Southern defeated Vincennes Lincoln, 27-13. Tri-West defeated Monrovia, 28-21.
OPPONENTS' RECORDS: Gibson Southern 78-52. Tri-West 65-63.
SERIES LAST 35 YEARS: Gibson Southern, 1-0
LAST MEETING: Gibson Southern, 44-7, Nov. 20, 2021, semistate.
ALL-TIME TOURNAMENT SERIES: Gibson Southern, 1-0.
jh PREDICTION: Gibson Southern, 28-24.

1 hour ago, SoIndRef said:

This sectional/regional alignment does not make sense to me.  Why have, if it works out this way, Heritage Hills meet Gibson Southern in Semi-State?  They could flip Sectional 30 and 31 and it would make more sense, in my opinion at least.

Why would the IHSAA do anything that was logical?

3 hours ago, SoIndRef said:

This sectional/regional alignment does not make sense to me.  Why have, if it works out this way, Heritage Hills meet Gibson Southern in Semi-State?  They could flip Sectional 30 and 31 and it would make more sense, in my opinion at least.

A year or two ago, it would have been theoretically possible for GS to have played Princeton in Semi-State and they are within 10 miles of each other. I say theoretical because it would have taken 4 forfeits for Princeton to go that far, but it was nonetheless possible. And yes, Princeton beat us in 2015. LOL.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I’m wondering how many of the kids at Tri West were there when BA and company rolled into town a couple years ago for semi state.  I remember seeing a number of Tri west fans at the state championship game that year 

Well we have a couple on our current team that played in the game.  It would make sense they would as well or at least on the sidelines.   

Good luck, PAC.

As far as understand, the IHSAA can "group" classes in one of eight places/directions:

Center to NE

Center to SE 

Center to SW

Center to NE

NE to Center

SE to Center 

SW to Center

NW to Center

I think this Commissioner is being more literal with the Class groupings than predecessors. 

I like the Titans but they will need to guard against looking ahead and may need a quarter to establish themselves. I like the Titans running game moving forward.

4 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Good luck, PAC.

As far as understand, the IHSAA can "group" classes in one of eight places/directions:

Center to NE

Center to SE 

Center to SW

Center to NE

NE to Center

SE to Center 

SW to Center

NW to Center

I think this Commissioner is being more literal with the Class groupings than predecessors. 

I like the Titans but they will need to guard against looking ahead and may need a quarter to establish themselves. I like the Titans running game moving forward.

I feel like you are looking ahead more than anyone for GS 🫣😘

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I feel like you are looking ahead more than anyone for GS 🫣😘

Just very concerned for and interested in you guys. Us PAC brethren have to stick together, you know?

FYI:

Sagarin's predictor

Gibson Southern (78.1) is a 4.5-point favorite vs. Tri-West (71.61) and has about a 58.51% chance of winning (2.01-point home-field advantage).

Do we still have this unspoken rule where we don't chat about our own teams on their game threads, but instead make passive-aggressive comments on each other's threads?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well since I didn't get a response in the VL/GS thread...

I will AGAIN give my congratulations to the Titans on advancing to regional play!  I know for some, a sectional championship is considered a birth right (not GS). But the Titans played their butts off for a hard fought victory and that deserves a hand shake at mid field! 

As for this Saturday..I think Tri West was going to be a tall order for whomever came out of Sectional 30. And that's just my honest assessment after watching their film against Danville.  Wouldn't be surprised if GS could pull this off, but I'm gonna go with Tri West at home. 

This one's for all the lug nuts!

Edited by SEAL_63

6 hours ago, SEAL_63 said:

Well since I didn't get a response in the VL/GS thread...

I will AGAIN give my congratulations to the Titans on advancing to regional play!  I know for some, a sectional championship is considered a birth right (not GS). But the Titans played their butts off for a hard fought victory and that deserves a hand shake at mid field! 

As for this Saturday..I think Tri West was going to be a tall order for whomever came out of Sectional 30. And that's just my honest assessment after watching their film against Danville.  Wouldn't be surprised if GS could pull this off, but I'm gonna go with Tri West at home. 

This one's for all the lug nuts!

Thank you.  It was a great game. This week is another coin flip to me.  BTW you sound like Ron White

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Just very concerned for and interested in you guys. Us PAC brethren have to stick together, you know?

FYI:

Sagarin's predictor

Gibson Southern (78.1) is a 4.5-point favorite vs. Tri-West (71.61) and has about a 58.51% chance of winning (2.01-point home-field advantage).

Do we still have this unspoken rule where we don't chat about our own teams on their game threads, but instead make passive-aggressive comments on each other's threads?

That is how we like it!!!  Well those of us who aren't soft LOL.

• Haha 1

Courier and Press:

Class 3A: Gibson Southern (10-2) at Tri-West (11-1)

KS: This was a semistate matchup two years ago when the Titans won their first state championship. They have a few contributors from that win still playing including the program's career all-purpose yardage leader in Sean DeLong. Really interested though to see what the defense does against the Bruins. Gibson Southern 24, Tri-West 20.

TW: These teams are pretty evenly matched. Their defenses can blow up plays in the backfield while the quarterbacks are excellent dual threat options. This game could be a shootout, but I like Gibson Southern's chances of moving on. Gibson Southern 31, Tri-West 30.

AK: I haven't seen anything that makes me think an in-state opponent can beat Gibson Southern. Sean DeLong and Tanner Boyd have been nearly untouchable throughout the offseason and I think that continues in a close one here. Gibson Southern 28, Tri-West 26.

On 11/7/2023 at 7:09 PM, tango said:

A year or two ago, it would have been theoretically possible for GS to have played Princeton in Semi-State and they are within 10 miles of each other. I say theoretical because it would have taken 4 forfeits for Princeton to go that far, but it was nonetheless possible. And yes, Princeton beat us in 2015. LOL.

I made the same comment when I saw that as well..

Heritage Hills at Batesville , 3A Regional championship
points per game Batesville 33.5, Heritage Hills 41.3
Defensive average Batesville 14.8, Heritage Hills 11.0

Sagarin schedule strength
Batesville 121st in state, Heritage Hills 135th in state
Sagarin power rating
Batesville 63rd in state, Heritage Hills 44th in state

Polls
IFCA Heritage Hills 5th , Batesville 10th
AP Heritage Hills 7th , Batesville 12th

Passing

Batesville