Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Snider 2023

8 hours ago, Komets2727 said:

I have watched some video on Merrillville, great team speed, lots of good athletes, undisciplined at times, likes to run the ball quite a bit. When motivated and engaged in the game, they are tough to beat. If Snider can get ahead by double digits, not sure Merrillville will stay in and fight back. I will stand by statement before the Mishawaka game, beating Mishawaka would be harder than Merrillville or Valpo

I think the Mishawaka game will springboard Snider right into LOS . If history tells us anything , Snider is very tough to beat in Fort Wayne . 

6 minutes ago, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

I think the Mishawaka game will springboard Snider right into LOS . If history tells us anything , Snider is very tough to beat in Fort Wayne . 

I personally think Mishawaka was like running into a brick wall after a bye week and games against Anderson and North Side. I think they'll be better prepared for Merrillville. 

55 minutes ago, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

They are 4-3 in semi states when at home. in past 20 years. Doing deeper dive into overall home record during second season

38 minutes ago, psaboy said:

They are 4-3 in semi states when at home. in past 20 years. Doing deeper dive into overall home record during second season

I'm coming up with 3-2

2004: Snider 49, Penn 7

2012: Snider 42, Merrillville 39

2014: Laporte 35, Snider 7

2015: Snider 56, Kokomo 20

2022: Valpo 22, Snider 21     (blowing snow from the west, homefield advantage negated)

Worth noting: Spuller Stadium is one of the only stadiums whose home side faces the west, therefore negating much of their "home field advantage." The home team fights the sun in August and September, and blowing rain or snow in October and November. Inclement weather almost always comes from the west. I'll never understand why the Snider team and fans aren't moved over to the other side. The visitors shouldn't be more comfortable than the home team. 

8 minutes ago, BTF said:

I'm coming up with 3-2

2022: Valpo 22, Snider 21     (blowing snow from the west, homefield advantage negated)

Worth noting: Spuller Stadium is one of the only stadiums whose home side faces the west, therefore negating much of their "home field advantage." The home team fights the sun in August and September, and blowing rain or snow in October and November. Inclement weather almost always comes from the west. I'll never understand why the Snider team and fans aren't moved over to the other side. The visitors shouldn't be more comfortable than the home team. 

You are correct, I went back to 1994, so you have info for last 20 years, my error on time snap shot

Here is what I see on John Harrell site since 1994

2022 - L - Valpo

2015 - W - Kokomo

2014 - L - LaPorte

2012 - W - M-ville

2004 - W - Penn

2002 - W - Valpo

1997 - L - Penn

1 hour ago, BTF said:

I'm coming up with 3-2

Someone was posting about upsets happening in the postseason and the LaPort vs. Snider game leaps out at me. I remember Snider was a prohibitive favorite in that game and absolutely got slaughtered by the Slicers. Game was not as close as the 35-7 final score indicated. Valpo game last year was a crushing loss. Very few times when I say the better team didn’t win, that is one of them

Edited by Komets2727

1 hour ago, psaboy said:

You are correct, I went back to 1994, so you have info for last 20 years, my error on time snap shot

Here is what I see on John Harrell site since 1994

2022 - L - Valpo

2015 - W - Kokomo

2014 - L - LaPorte

2012 - W - M-ville

2004 - W - Penn

2002 - W - Valpo

1997 - L - Penn

But what would this look like if the ground didn't tackle the Snider player in 97 . 5-2

1 hour ago, psaboy said:

I'm sure I was at that game, can't recall what happened. Please give me the run down.

I was at that game with my 10 year old daughter wet and cold . Snider player was in the open field untouched and no Penn defender within 20 yards ,  running to score a touchdown to win the game , when the grass reached up and tackled him. Game went into OT and Penn won and went on to win their 3rd state title in a row . 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BTF said:

I'm coming up with 3-2

Wayne stadium perfect example

5 hours ago, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

I was at that game with my 10 year old daughter wet and cold . Snider player was in the open field untouched and no Penn defender within 20 yards ,  running to score a touchdown to win the game , when the grass reached up and tackled him. Game went into OT and Penn won and went on to win their 3rd state title in a row . 

He was going left to right from the Penn point of view. I remember that like it was yesterday. Before the game, Geesman said "this might be the best team I've ever seen on film." In my opinion, that team ranks in the Snider Top 4 of all time. 

37 minutes ago, BTF said:

He was going left to right from the Penn point of view. I remember that like it was yesterday. Before the game, Geesman said "this might be the best team I've ever seen on film." In my opinion, that team ranks in the Snider Top 4 of all time. 

Yup, I bet the Snider player still has nightmares about that play. And I agree , that Snider team was special, lots of speed everywhere. 

7 minutes ago, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

Yup, I bet the Snider player still has nightmares about that play. And I agree , that Snider team was special, lots of speed everywhere. 

Had a great pass game that year, it was disabled severely that night. The "Mud Bowl" is what we called it. Finally went artificial turf about three years ago. If Snider wins state this year, maybe Penn can come see it next year. 

10 hours ago, BTF said:

Had a great pass game that year, it was disabled severely that night. The "Mud Bowl" is what we called it. Finally went artificial turf about three years ago. If Snider wins state this year, maybe Penn can come see it next year. 

Yep, IF Snider gets State title they will bump up to 6A. Anything else they stay in 5A. 

10 hours ago, BTF said:

Penn had a good team as well in 97 , but Snider was better . One of them games where the better team did not win .

So I made a comment in the Luers vs LCC thread that this year’s Knights team wasn’t even in the top 15 of all time Luers teams so it got me thinking about this year’s Snider team and where they stack up all time amongst all time Snider teams. Wanted to go others thoughts on this…

48 minutes ago, Komets2727 said:

So I made a comment in the Luers vs LCC thread that this year’s Knights team wasn’t even in the top 15 of all time Luers teams so it got me thinking about this year’s Snider team and where they stack up all time amongst all time Snider teams. Wanted to go others thoughts on this…

Here is my list of the top 10 Snider teams. Want to point out this is my opinion on BEST not MOST TALENTED. Not accounting these last two years. 

1. 1992

2. 1986

3. 2004

4. 1997

5. 1981

6. 2015

7. 2012

8. 2002

9. 2016

10. 2014

1 hour ago, Komets2727 said:

When talking about Luers they have 11 state championships and multiple runners up. So I wouldn't put this years team isn't in the top 20 teams.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Justasportsfan said:

This years team hasn't made my top 15 list just yet..a win on Friday may put them in discussion with the best of all time..those gr8 teams that lost 6a regional might b before them..imo..

When thinking of the best all time teams at Snider, do the state title teams get special designation and move up the list or not? In my opinion, that hardware means something…

3 hours ago, NEI_Homer said:

Here is my list of the top 10 Snider teams. Want to point out this is my opinion on BEST not MOST TALENTED. Not accounting these last two years. 

1. 1992

2. 1986

3. 2004

4. 1997

5. 1981

6. 2015

7. 2012

8. 2002

9. 2016

10. 2014

Love this list!!! 1981 team featured all time great Rod Woodson

27 minutes ago, Komets2727 said:

When thinking of the best all time teams at Snider, do the state title teams get special designation and move up the list or not? In my opinion, that hardware means something…

I personally don't think so. 

I've got 1986, 1992, and 2004 dead even. Snider losing to Carmel in 1986 was a travesty that only happens 1 time out of 10. The 2004 team played Warren Central like they were their equal..........without D1 recruit Quale Lewis, right in the middle of what many say was the greatest dynasty in Indiana high school football history. The 1992 team speaks for itself. 

I think the 1998 should be in the conversation, probably ahead of 2016 and 2014. 

Regarding this years team, I want to see how they handle the last two weeks of the season before I rank them. Right now I've got them in the Top 20, I'm just not sure where. 

51 minutes ago, BTF said:

I personally don't think so. 

I've got 1986, 1992, and 2004 dead even. Snider losing to Carmel in 1986 was a travesty that only happens 1 time out of 10. The 2004 team played Warren Central like they were their equal..........without D1 recruit Quale Lewis, right in the middle of what many say was the greatest dynasty in Indiana high school football history. The 1992 team speaks for itself. 

I think the 1998 should be in the conversation, probably ahead of 2016 and 2014. 

Regarding this years team, I want to see how they handle the last two weeks of the season before I rank them. Right now I've got them in the Top 20, I'm just not sure where. 

Fair enough. When I think of the 1981 team with Woodson, the great mystery to me is that not only did they not win the state championship, but they lost 27-0 at Carmel in the pouring rain in semi-state if memory serves me correctly. I will never understand how that happened…

What year was the Vaughn Dunbar team? I just can’t remember…

Edited by Komets2727

2 hours ago, Komets2727 said:

Imo it does mean a thing if a team collects a ring..problem is with 6a now being the heavyweight division teams of today don't have to slug it out with the 2500+ as prior teams once did which may dilute their status...being a homer..if they were 4a instead of 5a we would have thought title title title..same applied here until sum humble pie was served..glad these kids get to experience deep runs yet to win a state title still takes sum luck plus all the other intangibles..some players thought they were better than their dads on the 04 team..smh..

2 hours ago, Komets2727 said:

Fair enough. When I think of the 1981 team with Woodson, the great mystery to me is that not only did they not win the state championship, but they lost 27-0 at Carmel in the pouring rain in semi-state if memory serves me correctly. I will never understand how that happened…

What year was the Vaughn Dunbar team? I just can’t remember…

In 1981, Snider lost to Carmel 27-0 in the state championship. That was a surprise to many after Snider utterly destroyed Hobart at semi-state. If memory serves me correctly, the state championship was a bad weather game. It didn't seem to affect Carmel though. I don't remember any of the details. I was too young. 

Vaughn Dunbar was 1986. It took Carmel a miracle to win that game, even with Snider's starting quarterback injured on the sidelines. With a healthy QB, Snider was far and away the best team in the state. 

18 minutes ago, BTF said:

In 1981, Snider lost to Carmel 27-0 in the state championship. That was a surprise to many after Snider utterly destroyed Hobart at semi-state. If memory serves me correctly, the state championship was a bad weather game. It didn't seem to affect Carmel though. I don't remember any of the details. I was too young. 

Vaughn Dunbar was 1986. It took Carmel a miracle to win that game, even with Snider's starting quarterback injured on the sidelines. With a healthy QB, Snider was far and away the best team in the state. 

Ok, I was a freshman in 1981 and I went to the Snider/Carmel game. Think we had about 3 fan buses that went. It was cold and rainy, brutal weather, totally negated the speed advantage we had

Dunbar team was fantastic, right at the top of all time best Panther teams

• Like 1