Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Colts 2023

Muda69

https://deadspin.com/kirk-cousins-anthony-richardson-jim-irsay-colts-1850918430

If you woke up a little late this morning, you may have missed the announcement out of Indianapolis that Colts rookie quarterback Anthony Richardson was placed on injured reserve. Richardson is scheduled to miss at least four games on IR with a right shoulder injury (AC joint sprain) and could miss up to eight weeks. With the Colts sitting at 3-2, tied for first place in the AFC South, it might be a good idea to call Minnesota about acquiring Kirk Cousins.

Of course, Colts fans are screaming, “We have Gardner Minshew!” as we speak. He’s a good backup QB in spot play, but if Richardson misses more than four games, Indy might want someone more experienced for a longer stretch. Cousins gets a bad rap, but has been good during his stint in Minnesota, which looks to be ending soon. Earlier this week, the team stated they are “more open” to moving on from Cousins.

This makes sense for both parties as Cousins’ services would be a short-term lease. It helps the Vikings move into the Caleb Williams sweepstakes, then supplies a temporary solution for the absence of Richardson in Indianapolis. Even if Richardson returns after missing four games, Indy has options for the rest of the year. Someone would need to convince Mr. Cousins that this is a good idea and to waive his no-trade clause, but anything is possible.

In a jumbled, yet mediocre division, snatching up Cousins while Richardson rehabs should be enough to keep the Colts in the playoff picture. Cousins leads the league in touchdown tosses with 13 and is second in passing yards. Plus, Jonathan Taylor recently returned from his stint on IR.

The Colts need to strike while the iron is hot and take no chances on falling games behind the Jaguars in the division. If it is possible to make this trade happen, Jim Irsay needs to wake up and get it done.

Interesting take.

Anthony Richardson ‘probably going to be gone for the year,’ Colts owner says as QB mulls surgery: https://apnews.com/article/indianapolis-colts-anthony-richardson-surgery-0769476a3c530969f5acd4f27345db81

Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay believes rookie quarterback Anthony Richardson may need season-ending surgery on his injured throwing shoulder.

Irsay told ESPN that Richardson and the team’s medical staff were still mulling treatment options for Richardson’s sprained AC joint but a final decision had not been made — reiterating comments made earlier Monday by coach Shane Steichen.

“The most likelihood is he’s probably going to be gone for the year,” Irsay said. “I mean, it’s not definite but (he) probably misses this year and we’re going to have to contend with that factor.”

Steichen did not speculate on which route Richardson and the Colts (3-3) would go.

Instead, Steichen said discussions were ongoing as team officials continued to gather information about the injury and all potential treatments including season-ending surgery. Steichen, like Irsay, also acknowledged Richardson’s long-term health and the franchise’s long-term future would also be key factors in the decision-making process.

“Obviously, we want to do what’s best for him and this organization moving forward,” Steichen said. “Like I said, we’ll make that decision when the time is right.”

Richardson missed his second game Sunday at Jacksonville though he traveled with the team and wore a sling to protect his throwing shoulder while watching Indy’s loss from the sideline.

He was injured on the end of a short first-half run against Tennessee the previous week. After hitting the ground awkwardly, he stayed down for several minutes before walking slowly to the team’s medical tent, his right shoulder drooping. Richardson did not return to that 23-16 victory and went on injured reserve last week, a move that will keep him out at least three more weeks.

The 6-foot-4, 244-pound former Florida Gators star has been injury prone in his first NFL season.

He missed the final minute of Indy’s season opener with a bruised knee and sore ankle, left with a concussion in the first half of a Week 2 victory over Houston, missed the following week while still in the concussion protocol. Then one week after returning to the field and finishing his first NFL game, he hurt his shoulder.

Indy drafted Richardson with the No. 4 overall pick in April and he was off to a promising start. He had thrown for 577 yards, three TDs and one interception while completing 59.7% of his throws in four games. He also has 25 carries for 136 yards and four TDs, becoming the first quarterback of the Super Bowl era with TD runs in each of his first three NFL games.

Now, though, his rookie season could be over.

“There’s debate going, but it’s probably going to lead toward surgery in the next week or so,” Irsay said. “We’re just trying to figure out exactly how and when and what we want to do and what Anthony wants to do.”

Time for Minshew to shine.

It's official, Richardson is done for the season:  https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2023/10/18/colts-qb-anthony-richardson-to-have-season-ending-shoulder-surgery/71227511007/

Rookie quarterback Anthony Richardson will undergo season-ending shoulder surgery, Colts owner Jim Irsay announced Wednesday.

Richardson and the team made the decision with the quarterback’s long-term prospects in mind, preferring to repair the shoulder fully now instead of risking reinjury with rehabilitation and a return to play this season.

The Colts used the No. 4 pick of April’s draft to select Richardson, the highest pick the franchise has made since drafting Andrew Luck at No. 1 in 2012.

Luck’s abbreviated career in Indianapolis serves as a warning of the dangers of pushing an injury to a franchise quarterback. When Luck injured his labrum in 2015, the Colts star avoided surgery, returned to action weeks later and then pushed off surgery again in the offseason, leading to a painful 2016 and a lost 2017 season, then ultimately a retirement in 2019 heavily influenced by the difficulty of playing through pain and injury.

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

The Colts defense had three interceptions, two for pick 6's, and they beat the lowly Panthers 27-13.  The offense did manage to score on TD.

Kenny Moore III had the two pick sixes, and become the first Colt to have two in a game.

its a win over a 1-6 team coming in....but concerning the Colts best offense was Kenny Moore on D.

• Thanks 1

Another ugly win for the Colts, but an ugly win is much better than the alternative.  It was probably good that it was an early morning game from Frankfurt, Germany.  But now the Colts are 5-5, heading into the bye week and all of a sudden back in the playoff picture.  They've actually won more games this season than last.

19 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Another ugly win for the Colts, but an ugly win is much better than the alternative.  It was probably good that it was an early morning game from Frankfurt, Germany.  But now the Colts are 5-5, heading into the bye week and all of a sudden back in the playoff picture.  They've actually won more games this season than last.

Agreed...still trying to figure out how they won last 2 games scoring 2 total offensive TD's.  Good thing they were playing Carolina and NE.  

There are some bad offenses in the NFL this year...my concern is that the Colts are one of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bash Riprock said:

Agreed...still trying to figure out how they won last 2 games scoring 2 total offensive TD's.  Good thing they were playing Carolina and NE.  

There are some bad offenses in the NFL this year...my concern is that the Colts are one of them.

I get that feeling all the time, and yet up until this week, we were the only team in the NFL to score over 20 points in each of our games. The streak would've ended if it weren't for our defense scoring against Carolina, but all the other games the offense has put up some decent numbers

16 hours ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

I get that feeling all the time, and yet up until this week, we were the only team in the NFL to score over 20 points in each of our games. The streak would've ended if it weren't for our defense scoring against Carolina, but all the other games the offense has put up some decent numbers

Fair point. Last 2 games, not pretty offensively. Hopefully not becoming a trend 

• Like 1

On 11/21/2023 at 5:42 PM, PHJIrish said:

Darius/Shaquille Leonard has been cut by the Colts.

anyone shocked this was done during the season?  I assumed his salary was too high given his current performance....but thought he would at least finish this season.   No takers I guess for a trade given his injury and performance with his current contract.

22 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

anyone shocked this was done during the season?  I assumed his salary was too high given his current performance....but thought he would at least finish this season.   No takers I guess for a trade given his injury and performance with his current contract.

I believe it goes deeper than salary.  I'm not surprised at all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Posting this here since it occurred during the 2023 season:  https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2024/01/17/jim-irsay-found-unresponsive-in-home-dec-8/72252882007/

Colts team owner Jim Irsay was found unresponsive, cold to the touch and gasping for air during a suspected overdose on Dec. 8 according to Carmel police documents, TMZ is reporting.

Police were dispatched to Irsay's home around 4:30 a.m. after Irsay was found unconscious on the bathroom floor with a blue skin tone, according to the TMZ article. He was moved to his bed, was struggling to breathe and had a weak pulse. Irsay "responded slightly" to a dose of Narcan — a drug commonly used to revive people after an opiate overdose — and was transported to a nearby hospital, according to the story. Police classified the incident as an "overdose" and "overdose/poisoning," according to TMZ.

"Mr. Irsay continues to recover from his respiratory illness," the Colts said in a statement Wednesday. "We will have no further comment on his personal health, and we continue to ask that Jim and his family's privacy be respected."

IndyStar twice contacted the Colts about Irsay's status in the final month of the season, and team officials declined to comment, citing the privacy of Irsay's personal life.

On Jan. 9, the Colts announced Irsay was dealing with a "severe respiratory illness" and that he would miss an appearance in Los Angeles by the Jim Irsay Band.

"He is receiving excellent care and looks forward to returning to the stage as soon as possible," the team's initial statement said. "We'll have no additional information at this time and we ask that you respect the privacy of Jim and his family as he recovers."

Irsay was at the team's 30-13 win over Pittsburgh on Dec. 16, and he posted video to his social media account documenting that day after the game.

Colts general manager Chris Ballard was asked if he could say anything further about Irsay at his postseason press conference.

"No, other than he’s stable and they’re working through it,” Ballard said.

It's unknown if the Dec. 8 incident is related to Irsay's "severe respiratory illness."

IndyStar requested documents from the Carmel Police Department early Wednesday but had not received a reply to a public records request before publication.

Irsay has publicly shared his battles with addiction, most recently in an interview with Andrea Kremer on HBO's Real Sports in November, where he described a previous overdose.

"I started slurring my words and then code blue, I stopped breathing," Irsay told Kremer. "And they revived me, and the doctor goes, 'Jim, you're one lucky man because I had signed, virtually, the death certificate."