Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

4A State Championship: Northwood vs East Central

29 minutes ago, Lysander said:

That would require folks actually paying attention.

Apologies for really getting away from the subject....but since we have a whole week, I'm curious, just what years do you contend the top of 3A was better than 4A?  I have my own opinions.

I'll try to gather some figures this evening. I can start with 2001, when 4A state champion Jasper's only loss was to Heritage Hills.

Chatard beat Roncalli or Cathedral how many times it also won 3A?

There were some 3A Memorial teams which I believe also bested Reitz in the same years. 

I swear it's true. 👍 

10 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

I'll try to gather some figures this evening. I can start with 2001, when 4A state champion Jasper's only loss was to Heritage Hills.

Chatard beat Roncalli or Cathedral how many times it also won 3A?

There were some 3A Memorial teams which I believe also bested Reitz in the same years. 

I swear it's true. 👍 

It became much more frequent when all the Purichias, Adamses, and Cmehils started migrating from the west side. If Ritter hadn’t screwed the pooch no one would be talking about Lutheran, they’d be stalking about Ritter. 

1 hour ago, 00NWP said:

I guess I'm curious as to why you say in 4A...East Central and who.  I dont know if you have looked at the teams that have played in the State Finals in the last couple of years...but there are no repeat visitors...until this year. 4A has been dominated by those schools in Indy...and to be fair...alot of those year where public schools made appearances...the private schools moved classes. I feel as if you are putting EC in a category that it does not quite belong yet. 

East Central has been around going to State for several years. During the Martini years and winning state. Had some epic close battles with Cathedral and Roncalli. Winning State under Coach Roden (who left to Coach in Ohio) and now Coach Meiners has them playing their typical style of football.

Cool thing about this East Central team. We as outside observers (meaning not East Central fans) have got to watch their star players grow in front of our eyes. From the days of Ringer and Brotherton as Freshman starting varsity and having a disappointing loss at Mooresville (who was hot at the time). To their Sophomore year and getting upset in a tight one at Enlow against Ev Memorial. To the Junior year and shocking a VERY good Roncalli team in OT then pound New Prairie into submission. Now this year their Senior year with another shot at a title against Northwood. Ringer and Brotherton have been a load for several years and now add in Maxwell and there is a 3 headed monster to pick your poison from. They play pretty solid defense too, it has been truly enjoyable to watch the Trojans in black and red play.

Excited to see Tuggle & Edmond play.   Obviously they're both extremely talented, but I'm more curious on how they get both involved in their game plans.   Are they able to get the ball out to Tuggle often enough for him to make an impact?  Do they use him in the running game?   And what does the rest of the defense look like when they run (or pass) away from Edmond?  Do they move him around to different positions or blitz him so he can be around the ball more?   I'm guessing he won't need to be covering any WR's in this game.

1 hour ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Creampuffs? Many years the 3A state champion has beaten the 4A state champion. Memorial is on record as saying 3A has been harder than 4A.

Where did Memorial say this? I tread lightly because I don't want Dumfries to get all up in my business, but generalities are misleading. I personally feel of the 3 state titles games we played in from 2017-2019, the 2019 (4A) game was the least competitive. EC is like nobody we ever saw in 3A. I think there are years where the 3A champ might be better than the 4A champ. 

1 hour ago, 00NWP said:

I guess I'm curious as to why you say in 4A...East Central and who.  I dont know if you have looked at the teams that have played in the State Finals in the last couple of years...but there are no repeat visitors...until this year. 4A has been dominated by those schools in Indy...and to be fair...alot of those year where public schools made appearances...the private schools moved classes. I feel as if you are putting EC in a category that it does not quite belong yet. 

Yes this year

11 minutes ago, Tin Cup said:

Excited to see Tuggle & Edmond play.   Obviously they're both extremely talented, but I'm more curious on how they get both involved in their game plans.   Are they able to get the ball out to Tuggle often enough for him to make an impact?  Do they use him in the running game?   And what does the rest of the defense look like when they run (or pass) away from Edmond?  Do they move him around to different positions or blitz him so he can be around the ball more?   I'm guessing he won't need to be covering any WR's in this game.

The past couple of weeks...New Prairie and Leo, Nitro has been their main focus.  With that being said our tight end and other receivers have gotten a lot more attention from the passing game.  It has also opened NW's running game (that part of their game was missing at the beginning of the season).  Nitro will get open eventually as will Edmonds on offense.  Edmonds and Nitro are used in the run game occasionally, however, our RB and QB get the majority of the carries.  Both Nitro, Edmonds and our quarterback (Roeder) play DB and do a really good job on that side of the ball.  I can't recall Edmonds blitzing at all this year...he is a cover guy who knows how to tackle.  I am assuming that NW will load the box on Saturday and rely on those players to cover their wideouts hoping to win those battles...and slow EC's run game.

58 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

I am the official Memorial spokesman. So, yes. 

Anyway, I recall Coach Hurley saying something to this effect around 2017.

First off that doesn't sound like anything Coach Hurley would say. Second, I don't think he would have any basis for comparison because we had never been in 4A... 

1 hour ago, tango said:

Where did Memorial say this? I tread lightly because I don't want Dumfries to get all up in my business, but generalities are misleading. I personally feel of the 3 state titles games we played in from 2017-2019, the 2019 (4A) game was the least competitive. EC is like nobody we ever saw in 3A. I think there are years where the 3A champ might be better than the 4A champ. 

I'll try to find it...

I think I like the idea of having a Gibson Southern, Heritage Hills, East Central and Columbus East home and away series...

So much success and history with those four teams in Southern Indiana ... great opening weekend! 

Anyway, I've said too much. No one wants anything to do with East Central this year.  Respect! 

55 minutes ago, jets said:

Admittedly- have not seen EC play a snap this year…but had a buddy tell me they are pretty old school in terms of offensive scheme?? 2 back, under center?? Don’t see that much anymore!! Kuddos 

They started the year in more of a spread but as it got later in the year they've gone split back. Friday night was all wing t with Brotherton split out wide. They ran for 479yds against New Pal with only attempts 1 pass.

Taking a break from how awesome EC is, but I wanted to recognize coach Andrews and his staff for the job they have done this season.  I know that the Panthers were 1 of the favorites to reach LOS in August, but it’s been fun to see this team overcome mid season adversity and improve tremendously since September.  I realize that the Panthers have 2 of the top 5 college recruits in the state, but to get them to play as a team when 1 transferred in last winter and another was transferred out all spring and summer until a week or so before the season started. Nitro admitted in an interview he was playing for himself the first few weeks.  A team that was giving up chunk plays in the run game to Plymouth did a solid job of shutting down New Prairie and Leo’s running games. Admittedly it may not matter on Saturday but to pull this team together when they could’ve checked out after 2 straight losses given the preseason expectations coming off all that happened to the program off the field to end last season has been a tremendous job. 

• Like 1