• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

4A State Championship: Northwood vs East Central

37 minutes ago, Rodney said:

I'm serious

EC is that good

and my respect for northwestern Indiana football is that little

maybe I get proven wrong next weekend 

who knows

First, let’s be honest, football doesn’t exist anywhere North of Indy for you. Second, while I hope Northwood shocks everyone, reality tells me nope. Lastly, props to you for having your priorities straight and putting alcohol before food on championship weekend!!!🍺🍺🍺

1 hour ago, Komets2727 said:

First, let’s be honest, football doesn’t exist anywhere North of Indy for you. Second, while I hope Northwood shocks everyone, reality tells me nope. Lastly, props to you for having your priorities straight and putting alcohol before food on championship weekend!!!🍺🍺🍺

Not true

Snider has had some good football teams

so has luers

I was one of 2 or 3 people on the digest to pick caroll to beat HSE last year 

big fan of dwenger football as well (sometimes?)

I could put up pioneer and LCC as good football programs as well, though typically I reserve "good" for teams with at least one quality win against a 4a or higher opponent

5 minutes ago, Rodney said:

Not true

Snider has had some good football teams

so has luers

I was one of 2 or 3 people on the digest to pick caroll to beat HSE last year 

big fan of dwenger football as well (sometimes?)

I could put up pioneer and LCC as good football programs as well, though typically I reserve "good" for teams with at least one quality win against a 4a or higher opponent

No love for the team you coach?

5 hours ago, Trojan12 said:

EC beats Moeller and people say Moeller wasn't trying.

Everyone praises New Pal and EC puts a running clock on them and now they're nobody.

Harrison(OH) wins 9 games and loses in regional semis and they're no good

EC running clocks 2 3a top team teams and now they're no good.

The mental gymnastics that some of you try to do is hilarious. 

Give me EC and the points. Theresa not a team in Indiana 2 scores better than them.

No I was saying BD by 14 over CP 😂 not EC haha  my bad for confusion.  

• Haha 1

I didn't think EC would ever have better team than the 1994 EC team, but this years team is much better than 1994.  In 1994 EC won state 35-0 over DeKalb.  DeKalb was 13-0 and beat New Haven 97-0 the 2nd game of that season.  The closest game EC had in 1994 was 35-18.

11 hours ago, BTF said:

Why such a weak take? Fans were holding New Pal in the exact same regard back in 2015. I'm sorry, but playing a bunch of 3A and 4A teams, outside of a four loss Moeller team, doesn't propel East Central above Ben Davis, Center Grove, and Brownsburg. It's not gonna happen. You can "think" and "believe" all you want. But no one will ever know the answer. We'll just have to agree to disagree. 

Why do I think East Central is 5th? I'm using Rodney's patented "this team is better than that one" method. 

1. Ben Davis

2. Brownsburg

3. Center Grove

4. Crown Point

5. East Central

Not sure why I'm under attack here. Wow. I think that's a compliment to 4A East Central. 

Have you looked at the four-loss Moeller team's schedule?  (Whose RB has committed to Michigan, btw.) 

Loss to EC 38-28.  Lost to Center Grove, your #3 team 35-34 in OT. Lost to Ben Davis 49-28.

I would put East Central as #2 behind Ben Davis just based on that alone.

Moeller also beat Dwenger 57-0 for comparison as well.

The Trojans are pretty darn good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Everyone assumes another 4A sized INDY school (Cathedral) can arguably be the best team in the State almost ANNUALLY but hardly anyone is willing to grant that another 4A sized school (East Central) which is actually a Cincinnati suburban school (when you drill down just a bit....where some of the best football in the country is played) can't EVER possibly be the best team in Indiana...or, at least, contend for it. 

Let's be clear, CalPreps has them #2 in Indiana currently.

4A New Pal was more than likely the best team in the state just a few short years ago - Indy suburbs.  God forbid a smaller school outside of the Indy metro might be any good.

Most everything I read here (and from the peanut brains on Facebook) reflects the overall myopia towards 6A, Indy, Ft.Wayne and the Region (God forbid).

An added irony is that those in the Cincy Metro most likely chuckle at we Indiana hayseeds when we scoff that a Cincy suburban team...the best team in the Cincy tri-state (who's address just happens to be in Indiana) somehow just doesn't measure up.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, PantherPride said:

Haha, the 4A title game thread has turned into what teams in Indiana can beat EC. This will be an interesting thread but none of it will be about the 4A game. 

I heard Northwood has a couple high level studs and came here to learn about them. 🤨

7 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

Have you looked at the four-loss Moeller team's schedule?  (Whose RB has committed to Michigan, btw.) 

Loss to EC 38-28.  Lost to Center Grove, your #3 team 35-34 in OT. Lost to Ben Davis 49-28.

I would put East Central as #2 behind Ben Davis just based on that alone.

Moeller also beat Dwenger 57-0 for comparison as well.

The Trojans are pretty darn good. 

Everyone gets upset about hypothetical rankings. Who really cares. East Central has an opportunity on Saturday to crown themselves champions of 4A, and that's all that really matters.  After that, they can make the claim "we could." But in reality, we'll never know. East Central had a really good win over Moeller, and they want to use that as a basis to the claim "we're the best in Indiana." I get it, but when I compile my final ranking (which means nothing btw), body of work over the entire season is going to come into play. 

At the end of the day, yes, the Trojans are "pretty darn good." I think it's exciting for their program and fans that posters here on the gridiron are even mentioning them in the same sentence with Indiana's perennial powers. I'm looking forward to seeing them in person on Saturday. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, BTF said:

Everyone gets upset about hypothetical rankings. Who really cares. East Central has an opportunity on Saturday to crown themselves champions of 4A, and that's all that really matters.  After that, they can make the claim "we could." But in reality, we'll never know. East Central had a really good win over Moeller, and they want to use that as a basis to the claim "we're the best in Indiana." I get it, but when I compile my final ranking (which means nothing btw), body of work over the entire season is going to come into play. 

At the end of the day, yes, the Trojans are "pretty darn good." I think it's exciting for their program and fans that posters here on the gridiron are even mentioning them in the same sentence with Indiana's perennial powers. I'm looking forward to seeing them in person on Saturday. 

They are, almost undoubtedly, the best team from 1A - 5A.  We all pretty well know that much...at minimum (maybe Chatard might throw some shade) but I, legitimately, think they are one of the Top 2-3 teams in Indiana this year. 

Admittedly, they can only and potentially ever be 4A Champ.  With that, for the record, its hardly assumptive that 6A represents the best team in the State by default.  God forbid, we already know 5A rarely is the best team between 3A-5A..proved particularly in those 70% of the time years when a 4A team wins in 5A.

Edited by Lysander

24 minutes ago, BTF said:

At the end of the day, yes, the Trojans are "pretty darn good." I think it's exciting for their program and fans that posters here on the gridiron are even mentioning them in the same sentence with Indiana's perennial powers. I'm looking forward to seeing them in person on Saturday

I'm not upset your rankings are your rankings (as are other peoples opinions/rankings). East central absolutely has an opportunity to crown themselves 4A State Champions.

East Central had more than 1 quality win over Moeller. Harrison (OH) was a solid Ohio Div 2 team they lost in Regionals to Anderson (13-1 and #1 seed in Region 8 who will play Massillon Washington in the Semi-Finals to get to the Div 2 title game against likely Archbishop Hoban. They also put a running clock on Lawrenceburg (only a year removed from playing for the 3A State Title but not as good this year). Blanked Batesville who ended up losing a tight one to Heritage Hills in Regionals. Running clocked Evansville Memorial in Evansville a week after they knocked off undefeated Evansville Reitz. Shutout a solid but not great New Palestine team. They also beat a Roncalli team but similar margin as Cathedral and Louisville Male. Would they have an unblemished record playing Cathedral, Ben Davis, Brownsburg, or Center Grove's schedule probably not. They would hold their own with that schedule though, they play who they had to play in conference play and beefed up their non-conference games (not their fault Roncalli wasn't as strong this year as the last 2 years). They still played and beat quality opponents along the way, and left no doubt against the teams they should beat. Regardless the only title they will be able to get is the 4A title.

You'll be thoroughly impressed with how they play on Saturday. Northwood will trot out some athletes, but East central will be up to the task and put their best foot forward. They are very well coached too which does not get mentioned much. The awe of Brotherton and Ringer usually gets mentioned, but Maxwell had a pretty darn good game against New Palestine.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As an outsider to EC as well as to most 6a schools...We will never know if EC can handle a Ben Davis or a Westfield or any other year in and year out 6a contender...as they would never schedule EC.  There would be zero benefit to scheduling EC for them.  If they won that game, everyone would say...why would you schedule a 4a team...it does nothing to prepare for the tournament.  If they lost that game, it would do nothing but hurt them in their "we are the best team in the State" conversation. There is a reason class football exists.  A 6a school should be able to beat a 4a school...that's not always the case as there are many threads on the GID about private schools...inner city schools...ect. 

Now in regard to the game Saturday...here are my thoughts.  East Central is by far the favorite in this game...as they would be against any 4a team this year.  They are a great football team that does everything well.  The only way NorthWood keeps this game close is doing what they did against Mishawaka.  In that game, NorthWood was able to score with them and put together long drives.  I believe NW will be able to score against East Central as they have weapons all over on offense.  Against Leo, they were able to use the weapons not named Nitro, as Leo was prepared for that.  NW spread the ball all over to everyone and with the threat of passing opened up the run game.  Do I think EC has a better defense than Leo...yes I do.  Do I think you can cover 4 viable receiving options every play while defending a pretty good run game...that's difficult.  I do not think NW will be able to stop EC's offense...maybe slow them down a little.  This will be a high scoring game with both teams needing to control the clock.  NorthWood will need to receive the kickoff (as someone else stated) and attempt to have EC play catch up. Im not a betting man...and i would never place money on NW winning this game...but I think they will suprise some people and keep this game a lot closer than most think.  

16 minutes ago, Lysander said:

They are, almost undoubtedly, the best team from 1A - 5A.  We all pretty well know that much...at minimum (maybe Chatard might throw some shade) but I, legitimately, think they are one of the Top 2-3 teams in Indiana this year. 

Admittedly, they can only and potentially ever be 4A Champ.  With that, for the record, its hardly assumptive that 6A represents the best team in the State by default.  God forbid, we already know 5A rarely is the best team between 3A-5A..proved particularly in those 70% of the time years when a 4A team wins in 5A.

I love how you claim admiration for Snider, then throw their program under the bus with claims that you think are factual. You're only here to tout how great Chatard is, that's factual. I'm looking forward to my final assessments after the state finals are over. Everything until then is just speculation. There's twelve teams left that need to finish what they started. Until then, stop your 'Chatard is greater than thou nonsense.'

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BTF said:

I love how you claim admiration for Snider, then throw their program under the bus with claims that you think are factual. You're only here to tout how great Chatard is, that's factual. I'm looking forward to my final assessments after the state finals are over. Everything until then is just speculation. There's twelve teams left that need to finish what they started. Until then, stop your 'Chatard is greater than thou nonsense.'

Err….I’m just looking SOLELY at CalPreps (I kind of rule out Sagarin these days).  Chatard is in the mix as a Top 10 team….it’s rare that a 5A team even sniffs that Top 10 is unless it’s a bumped 4A.  Regardless, the best Chatard can claim is 3A Champ…if they are so fortunate to do so.

I will admit some degree of bitterness as regards Snider because I pick them year after year, after year, after year, after year…ad nauseam to win 5A .  Outside of here, I oft complain to my football buddies that I listen too much to the Ft. Wayne fanboys when I pick Snider year after year……..AFTER YEAR.  To a point, unless a 4A team is involved, one just generally need show up to win 5A.

Still amazed Snider hasn’t actually been able to push up to 6A.  It’s been 11 years at this point….in the easiest Class in the State.

……and yet I pick Snider EVERY darn year.  

Dude, you should be thanking me for supporting a losing cause.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Dude, you should be thanking me for supporting a losing cause.

That just sums up all of your back handed slaps in one sentence. 

For the record, Snider was bumped to 6A in 2017, and 2018. In 2017, they were easily Top 10 regardless of class. I believe I had them somewhere around #5. So stop ignorantly acting like this Tippmann/Isaacs led program is a "losing cause." They do a pretty good job with the resources they have. 

Anyway. I'm looking forward to the East Central/Northwood game. I'll have an opportunity to see this Trojan team that everyone keeps touting. Maybe they're as good as advertised? Probably. I'll also get a chance to see two of Indiana's best players on the other side of the ball. Northwood has a pretty good football team. They have to be since they made it out of the north. I really thought it was going to be Leo or East Noble. But congrats to Northwood, they had a very good Leo team playing catchup all night long. I think this game is a little more interesting than people give it credit for.