Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Super Bowl LVIII

Bobref

SF was certainly hoping for a Lions/49ers Super bowl.  So - After spending this past season questioning whether I truly think the NFL is scripted, I feel that scripting a play like a late-game football bouncing off the defenders facemask back into the intended receiver's hands after a long pass would be pretty good TV.......🤣

Gotta hand it to the Chiefs and 49ers though.  Also - Mrs. SF is NOT a fan of this......

424630558_10160221614511589_492819862155427803_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&cb=99be929b-b574a898&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=dd5e9f&_nc_ohc=kmyS-hb-Kx8AX_CrLxd&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-1.xx&oh=00_AfC1e113UJOKKXXsxxNxtL2YET5J19icZeej9dFsrf_Vqg&oe=65BE1095

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bobref said:

Which, of course, I never said or implied, but you seem to have inferred.

ok..fair enough...but you did infer that if you haven't officiated.......

Perhaps much of what I was responding to was this comment from Just Rules.  I don't disagree that there are "some" coaches and players that don't always understand the rules....but I think its a subset and don't agree with a generalization as written below.

image.thumb.png.434e5923865235186137f86c4a7ede8d.png

22 hours ago, JustRules said:

I'm just saying the number of missed called you think you see and the number of missed calls that actually happen are very different numbers. If they weren't you would not be very critical of the work the NFL officials are doing. All your early justifications were based on the observations of coaches, players and announcers. I never said they didn't understand the rules. I'm saying they don't understand them nearly as well as they think they do. But they are the ones that fans take as Gospel so that misunderstanding gets taken as truth. And when an official then tries to explain the rules or a call they get dismissed because it's counter to what this coach or player or announcer said.

Looking back at your initial comments on this topic you were more focused on the influence missed calls have on a game. They may to some extent and some will appear to have a bigger impact depending on the timing. But ultimately there are several things over the course of the game that have an impact and no one play or call determines the outcome of the game. The Lions didn't lose only because Coach Campbell decided to go for it twice on 4th down rather than kick FGs. The great catch off the defender's face mask and fumble on the subsequent drive also played pretty big roles. The receiver catches the pass on the 1st 4th down play and there may have been a very different outcome. But the article that started all this was how much Shawn Smith's crew favored the visiting team, and I pointed out the fallacy of that argument. But people seem to think the crew has any influence in the outcome of the game. There are so many things over the course of the game that do that.

No disagreement and I didn't insinuate the non call with the late hit to the hit to Purdy's head while he was on the ground had any impact to the game.  But Blandino felt (and I agree) that it should have been a foul.  It was late and it was an agregious hit to the QB's head that ripped his helmet half off his head and bloodied his mouth.  This official either missed the hit, or didn't feel it was a foul.  I absolutely believe there would be variability across the league with officials as many (if not the majority) would have thrown the flag for roughing the QB.  (or for the late hit) I can't help from wondering if this same play had been flagged had it been Pat Mahomes instead of Purdy as I do believe "superstars" do receive a certin "benefit of the doubt".  You probably don't agree with me on the latter, but I absolutely believe there is varability across the league at times depending who is involved.  This is something discussed in length with NBA officiating.

I am not anti-officials.  I think their efforts are outstanding performing an incredibly difficult job.  I am old school, but personally, I'd like to see less replay reviews for calls.  I just believe that since we are involving human beings, errors will and do occur...with coaches, players and officials...and that's ok.  Its why they are all evaluated and have differing degress of success and longevity.  

58 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

No disagreement and I didn't insinuate the non call with the late hit to the hit to Purdy's head while he was on the ground had any impact to the game.  But Blandino felt (and I agree) that it should have been a foul.  It was late and it was an agregious hit to the QB's head that ripped his helmet half off his head and bloodied his mouth.  This official either missed the hit, or didn't feel it was a foul.  I absolutely believe there would be variability across the league with officials as many (if not the majority) would have thrown the flag for roughing the QB.  (or for the late hit) I can't help from wondering if this same play had been flagged had it been Pat Mahomes instead of Purdy as I do believe "superstars" do receive a certin "benefit of the doubt".  You probably don't agree with me on the latter, but I absolutely believe there is varability across the league at times depending who is involved.  This is something discussed in length with NBA officiating.

I am not anti-officials.  I think their efforts are outstanding performing an incredibly difficult job.  I am old school, but personally, I'd like to see less replay reviews for calls.  I just believe that since we are involving human beings, errors will and do occur...with coaches, players and officials...and that's ok.  Its why they are all evaluated and have differing degress of success and longevity.  

The one I saw (don't remember helmet coming off or anyone getting bloodied) would have been a late hit and not roughing since it was a dead ball. No difference in enforcement so the same result. Based on where it happened I'm guessing nobody had a view of it. Just like when a player gets up from a pile and claims they got punched in the tenders at the bottom of the pile. I thank them for thinking I have amazing super powers to see through bodies.

Seriously though...you seem to have an interest in understanding this better so I would encourage you to consider officiating. It really is a great avocation. You the team aspect of working with your crew mates and other officials. You are an important part of the game with a goal of applying consistent judgement of all calls throughout. Fine tuning your pre-snap routine, identifying and correctly reading your keys at the snap, progressing through the play both in movement and focus so you are looking at where you need to look, slowing down each play aa they happen to make sure you saw what you thought you saw, making many decisions during the play (legality at the snap, foul/no foul, in bounds/out of bounds, catch/no catch, fumble down, spot, and many others). Each play only lasts 5-7 seconds, but you may have made 10 different judgements in that time. Communication with players and coaches between plays. Communication with your crew mates. All factors going into the quality of your work. Forgetting the last play if you think you missed something. Being better on the next play. The camaraderie before and after the game with your crew. We often call each other on the way home to compare how our games go. Many officials meet at a local restaurant for dinner after the game as well.

1 hour ago, JustRules said:

The one I saw (don't remember helmet coming off or anyone getting bloodied) would have been a late hit and not roughing since it was a dead ball. No difference in enforcement so the same result. Based on where it happened I'm guessing nobody had a view of it. Just like when a player gets up from a pile and claims they got punched in the tenders at the bottom of the pile. I thank them for thinking I have amazing super powers to see through bodies.

Seriously though...you seem to have an interest in understanding this better so I would encourage you to consider officiating. It really is a great avocation. You the team aspect of working with your crew mates and other officials. You are an important part of the game with a goal of applying consistent judgement of all calls throughout. Fine tuning your pre-snap routine, identifying and correctly reading your keys at the snap, progressing through the play both in movement and focus so you are looking at where you need to look, slowing down each play aa they happen to make sure you saw what you thought you saw, making many decisions during the play (legality at the snap, foul/no foul, in bounds/out of bounds, catch/no catch, fumble down, spot, and many others). Each play only lasts 5-7 seconds, but you may have made 10 different judgements in that time. Communication with players and coaches between plays. Communication with your crew mates. All factors going into the quality of your work. Forgetting the last play if you think you missed something. Being better on the next play. The camaraderie before and after the game with your crew. We often call each other on the way home to compare how our games go. Many officials meet at a local restaurant for dinner after the game as well.

His helmet didn't come completely off, but went half way up his head.  (doesn't show in this video)  Looked impressive with his bloody lip.  I stand corrected as the play does not look late...but it was a clear blow to his head.  Given that Purdy was in the concussion protocol earlier this season, would hope there would be focus on this type of hit.  Can't tell from the video where the official was...perhaps none could see, especially the referee.

Not sure about the officiating....a few years back hung up the coaching whistle, but still stay involved with the running of youth leagues.  Definitely still involved with the game.  But you've given me something to think about for sure.

Couple of Indiana HS kids playing, Chiefs DE George Karaloftis (west Lafayette HS) and Drue Tranquill (FW Carroll) so I’ll be rooting for those guys to make plays along with my squares to hit. Any other Indiana high school players I’m missing? (Think I spelled names correct and have their right high schools)

14 minutes ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Couple of Indiana HS kids playing, Chiefs DE George Karaloftis (west Lafayette HS) and Drue Tranquill (FW Carroll) so I’ll be rooting for those guys to make plays along with my squares to hit. Any other Indiana high school players I’m missing? (Think I spelled names correct and have their right high schools)

Number 5, Randy Gregory, a LB for the Niners played at Hamilton Southeastern. 

• Like 3

On 1/30/2024 at 4:46 PM, Bash Riprock said:

His helmet didn't come completely off, but went half way up his head.  (doesn't show in this video)  Looked impressive with his bloody lip.  I stand corrected as the play does not look late...but it was a clear blow to his head.  Given that Purdy was in the concussion protocol earlier this season, would hope there would be focus on this type of hit.  Can't tell from the video where the official was...perhaps none could see, especially the referee.

Not sure about the officiating....a few years back hung up the coaching whistle, but still stay involved with the running of youth leagues.  Definitely still involved with the game.  But you've given me something to think about for sure.

That's targeting if there ever was targeting.  I guess it's not that important enough to be called anymore.

On 1/30/2024 at 5:45 PM, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Purdue and Notre Dame players also.

6 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

That's targeting if there ever was targeting.  I guess it's not that important enough to be called anymore.

Purdue and Notre Dame players also.

Tranquil was originally committed to Purdue and was heavily involved in recruiting players to join him. But, he backed out of that committment when Notre Dame finally thought he was good enough for them. 

He'll always be a Judas to me. 

On 1/30/2024 at 11:07 AM, Irishman said:

Yep

image.thumb.png.8c0256fda041e3c668746fc08ac42833.png

Haha. I'm rooting for greatness (Reid + Mahomes + Kelce + BIg George + Taylor Swift). And then I'll chuckle in the post game when Reid throws Nagy a bone and mentions his name. 

On 1/30/2024 at 6:00 PM, Irishman said:

Number 5, Randy Gregory, a LB for the Niners played at Hamilton Southeastern. 

Good to see Gregory still around the NFL. That dude has nearly wasted every opportunity given to him with off the field issues. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Tranquil was originally committed to Purdue and was heavily involved in recruiting players to join him. But, he backed out of that committment when Notre Dame finally thought he was good enough for them. 

He'll always be a Judas to me. 

And he was good enough to play for Notre Dame!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Usher is the halftime show. Whatever.

What was the best Super Bowl entertainment of all time? There’s only one right answer.

Purdue great Len Dawson smoking a heater and drinking a Fresca at halftime of Super Bowl 1. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/24/2024 at 8:44 AM, Muda69 said:

It's clear the NFL wants the Chiefs in the Super Bowl, due to the Swift Factor.   Millions more swifties watching the SB would be an even greater ratings bonanza!

It is a partnership, Swift's popularity zooms, and NFL viewers increase. Hells Bells have her on next year for the SB halftime entertainment. Grab that brass ring while you can... it's not forever.

Not a Chiefs fan, and not a giant Mahomes fan....but would have to be blind not to recognize his talent.

Read this yesterday and can't imagine a worse timing for the young man to be worried about his father.  Hope his Dad gets the help needed to get healthy.  From what I read, I believe its his 3rd DWI violation.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2024/02/04/pat-mahomes-sr-arrested-dwi-texas-kansas-city-chiefs/72473794007/

Edited by Bash Riprock

One of the things I like about the Super Bowl is the proliferation of creative “prop bets,” many of which are only distantly related to football. Then, I thought the people on the GID are just as creative as whoever it is that comes up with those goofy prop bets. So, let’s hear some imaginative prop bets for Sunday. I’ll start.

Over/under on the number of times Taylor Swift is shown embracing Travis’ mother: 3.5

Over/under on the number of times Mahomes is compared to Tom Brady: 2.5

Over/under on the number of times Andy Reid and hamburgers/cheeseburgers are mentioned in the same sentence: 0.5

• Like 2

My post on the Super Bowl 3 years ago today. 🤣😂

Oh God of the Gridiron, today is Your Day.

First, we give thanks for last weekend’s great victory, as your mighty right arm TB12 carried your justice into the den of iniquity that is Lame-Bow, and struck down the dog-ass Pack and their evil sorcerer, A-rog. We ask that, in your infinite mercy,  you get some tickets for A-rog... so that he can get back to the Super Bowl once more in his career.

But now, Lord, we come to you with an even greater ask. The upstart Mahomey, and his henchmen, led by the infamous Andy “Not so thin as a” Reed, invade your sacred ground in Tampa. Oh Lord, let your ambassador in this world, TB12, once again call down the lightning on the young pretender, so as to instruct him in your most important Commandment: THOU SHALT HUMBLE THYSELF BEFORE BRADY!!! You created the football world in only 7 glorious days. Now we implore you to bless your faithful champion, TB12, with his 7th ring, symbolizing the triumph of football good over football “I’m in a hurry to be the greatest of all time.”

Amen.

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Bobref said:

One of the things I like about the Super Bowl is the proliferation of creative “prop bets,” many of which are only distantly related to football. Then, I thought the people on the GID are just as creative as whoever it is that comes up with those goofy prop bets. So, let’s hear some imaginative prop bets for Sunday. I’ll start.

Over/under on the number of times Taylor Swift is shown embracing Travis’ mother: 3.5

Over/under on the number of times Mahomes is compared to Tom Brady: 2.5

Over/under on the number of times Andy Reid and hamburgers/cheeseburgers are mentioned in the same sentence: 0.5

OVER and im making that ALT LINE Plus money to OVER 5.5

UNDER:  Pat is out of Brady Shadow now, when he gets to 4 or 5 then yes, if he gets to 4 or 5

This is tough one:  I think the Chiefs will win, so therefore, in some sort of moment of celebratory, there shall be a mention....give me the OVER

Cheers

🙂 

I heard you can bet on the color of Gatorade used to douse the winning coach.

The KC red zone fumble may be a killer.

The RFK Jr. blurb was totally out of place and shouldn't have been shown.

I hope the 2nd half is a bit more open.