Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SOME LCC FOOTBALL HISTORY

Complete 1958 Central Catholic Football Roster!

1st year of Football for LCC!

Coach John Jardine

Pat Finley

Bill Fusiek

Dan Metzinger

Walt Anthrop

Stephen Lockard

Tom Lampe

Larry O'Connor

Terry Grenat

Joe Metzinger

Mike Harris

Ron Edmundson

Jerome Hobaugh

Phil Rothrock

Mike Martin

Jim Croussore

Kenny Ross

Paul Halsema

Reno Rizzo

Tim Tierney

Ed Hickner

Bob Castor

Bob Adams

Charles Leake

Greg Brickler

Jack Morrison

Dave Klinker

Dick Demerly

Jim Metzinger

Dan McGuire

Tim Statton

Norman Sanders

Jim Courter

Mike Rausch

Tom Moser

Jim Lamb

Dick Isbell

Jack Hubertz

Chuck Deets

Paul Sanders

There were 6 Seniors-5 Juniors-14 Sophomores-14 Freshmen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tippy said:

Kevin O'Shea was the QB on that 1982 McCutcheon team.  McCutcheon beat LCC 47-13 that year.  Franklin Central beat McCutcheon 40-13 in the finals, but FC only beat Crawfordsville 9-6 in the Sectional playoff game in 1982.

C'ville  0-0-6-0

FC       0-3-6-0

Upon going to the archives... I found this.. u decide... McC fumbledResized_20231204_193449.thumb.jpeg.577f872647f08d4e0e4f4767bc538a30.jpeg the snap in the shadow of their own goal post with less than 3 min to go...

MM defeated Jasper 34-7 the following week for the 2A Title

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, BendNotBreak said:

Upon going to the archives... I found this.. u decide... McC fumbledResized_20231204_193449.thumb.jpeg.577f872647f08d4e0e4f4767bc538a30.jpeg the snap in the shadow of their own goal post with less than 3 min to go...

MM defeated Jasper 34-7 the following week for the 2A Title

That might have been McCutcheon's best team ever.  It was their 2nd year of football.  LCC beat that McCutcheon team 14-12

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tippy said:

That might have been McCutcheon's best team ever.  It was their 2nd year of football.  LCC beat that McCutcheon team 14-12

Tuff break for the Mavs.. 1st and 10 with less than 3min ta go... and fumbled the snap at their own 2 yrd line... Mavs were one of those 3 headed monster type teams, running the Michigan option...

The Cadet Football league, Catholic grade school loop started in the Fall of 1959.  St. Mary's won the double round-robin schedule with a 5-1 record.  St. Lawrence finished 2nd, St. Boniface 3rd and St. Ann's 4th.  100 players from 4 schools were honored November 16, 1959 at the first-in-history Cadet banquet.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tippy said:

The Cadet Football league, Catholic grade school loop started in the Fall of 1959.  St. Mary's won the double round-robin schedule with a 5-1 record.  St. Lawrence finished 2nd, St. Boniface 3rd and St. Ann's 4th.  100 players from 4 schools were honored November 16, 1959 at the first-in-history Cadet banquet.

That's interesting as St. Ann's doesn't have a school associated with it nowadays and St. Mary currently only goes K-3rd and St. Boniface only has 4th-6th.  I'm assuming that that split between St. Mary/St.Boniface may have happened later on and both might have been K-6 originally.  Given that LCC almost closed in 1990 on numbers, I suspect that K-6 being split between St. Mary / St. Boniface might have been the canary in the coal mine on eventual high school numbers given that LCC numbers used to easily be in the 300s at one time.

25 minutes ago, foxbat said:

That's interesting as St. Ann's doesn't have a school associated with it nowadays and St. Mary currently only goes K-3rd and St. Boniface only has 4th-6th.  I'm assuming that that split between St. Mary/St.Boniface may have happened later on and both might have been K-6 originally.  Given that LCC almost closed in 1990 on numbers, I suspect that K-6 being split between St. Mary / St. Boniface might have been the canary in the coal mine on eventual high school numbers given that LCC numbers used to easily be in the 300s at one time.

St. Ann's grade school closed in 1968.  All 4 schools were K-8th in the 1960's.

Central Catholic 1958 Season Results (1st year of football)

Monday September 15 at Indy Scecina B Team

LCC 12  Indy Scecina 11  LCC's first offensive play in school history was a 55 yard pass from Tom Moser to Walt Anthrop.  Dick Isbell scored the other LCC td.

LCC    6-0-6-0

Sce    0-2-7-2

Tuesday September 23 at Lafayette Jeff field 

Klondike 30  LCC 0

LCC    0-0-0-0

Klon    6-6-12-6

Friday September 26 at Danville, IL (Schlarman)

Schlarman 38  LCC 7

LCC    0-0-7-0

Schlarman -

Thursday October 2 at West Lafayette B Team

West Lafayette B Team 18 LCC 13  (WL B team was 1-2-2)

LCC    6-0-0-7

WL     0-6-6-6

Friday October 10 at Cathedral B Team

Cathedral B Team 34 LCC 0 (Cathedral B team unbeaten)

LCC    0-0-0-0

Cath   14-7-6-7

Tuesday October 14 at Lafayette Jeff B Team

Lafayette Jeff B Team 25 LCC 13

LCC    0-0-6-7

Jeff    12-13-0-0

Thursday October 23 at Terre Haute Schulte

Terre Haute Schulte 39 LCC 0

LCC    0-0-0-0

TH      6-14-13-6

LCC finished the season 1-6

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tippy said:

St. Ann's grade school closed in 1968.  All 4 schools were K-8th in the 1960's.

That's a significant drop off when you go from four K-8 schools and a high school in the area to the equivalent of two K-6, a JH, and HS.

55 minutes ago, foxbat said:

That's a significant drop off when you go from four K-8 schools and a high school in the area to the equivalent of two K-6, a JH, and HS.

LCC went from about 500 students in 1970 to 200 in 1990.  In 1978 LCC had 392 students and in 1992 they had 207 students.  That is why LCC withdrew from the Hoosier Conference in 1992.  I think the LCC JH opened about 1987.  That is probably when St. Mary's went to K-3 and St. Boniface 4-6.

LCC didn't have a football field their first year of football.  Central Catholic's football field, reportedly one of the best new fields in the entire state, was dedicated September 3, 1959 when the young Knights staged an intrasquad game.  New coach Jim Shea was introduced that night.

34 minutes ago, Donnie Baker said:

Fountain Centrals beat the Mavs in 1980

Dang Donnie... didn't know FC ever ventured to Tippy. Co  in da reg season... did dey play Sothwestern or Wainwright before the consolidation? Seems Southwestern was always 10-0  9-1 ish  n would get their season ruined by Lcc a few times.. Wainwright was always the Bball arm of McC da way I member it....

13 hours ago, Tippy said:

LCC went from about 500 students in 1970 to 200 in 1990.  In 1978 LCC had 392 students and in 1992 they had 207 students.  That is why LCC withdrew from the Hoosier Conference in 1992.  I think the LCC JH opened about 1987.  That is probably when St. Mary's went to K-3 and St. Boniface 4-6.

But in the 80s u say they were almost 2A by enrollment?????

33 minutes ago, BendNotBreak said:

Dang Donnie... didn't know FC ever ventured to Tippy. Co  in da reg season... did dey play Sothwestern or Wainwright before the consolidation? Seems Southwestern was always 10-0  9-1 ish  n would get their season ruined by Lcc a few times.. Wainwright was always the Bball arm of McC da way I member it....

The jr. high played SW but not when they were a high school. I believe the late Coach Hummer went to SW. Bob Griese was his roommate at Purdue 

10 minutes ago, Donnie Baker said:

The jr. high played SW but not when they were a high school. I believe the late Coach Hummer went to SW. Bob Griese was his roommate at Purdue 

Rings a bell... so happens I knew the Mgr of Tarkington Hall... caught a pass from Mike Phipps in the street in front of my house one spring.... think he musta lobbed it at me... LoL

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BendNotBreak said:

But in the 80s u say they were almost 2A by enrollment?????

LCC was always class A by enrollment.  I don't know how close they were to ever being in 2A by enrollment.  They were only in 2A in 1981 and 1982 because the HC wouldn't let them in the conf. if they didn't move up.  LCC was in class A in 1976 and they had almost 400 students, but there was only 3 classes at that time.

On 12/2/2023 at 9:55 PM, Tippy said:

No, they only used the cluster system in 1983 and 1984.  Most people didn't know that LCC was very close to being moved up a class in 1980.

Tippy... im confused... enrollment was dropping... but they were close to being moved up to 2A by enrollment? How is that??

4 minutes ago, BendNotBreak said:

Tippy... im confused... enrollment was dropping... but they were close to being moved up to 2A by enrollment? How is that??

They were not close to being moved up by enrollment in 1980. They were close to being moved up in 1980 because HC would not let them back in the conf. if they didn't move up.  They had to wait a year to move up because the IHSAA only moved teams up in odd numbered years and LCC thought they were in 2A in 1980, but they were not.  LCC was in 2A in 1981 and 1982, but it didn't have anything to do with enrollment. Sorry for the confusion. I only put a little bit of the story on here at a time, and that is not a good thing.

Gotcha... All very interesting..  thx! 

I do think ther was a rivalry w SW.. Lcc n SW/Wainwright/McC all on the South side of Laf.. carried over w McC for a couple yrs..  the Mavs were very good.. I do recall Lcc went 2-0 vrs some very very good Mav teams at the start of that series..  it was important to beat SW... no matter what they called themselves... LoL

9 minutes ago, BendNotBreak said:

Gotcha... All very interesting..  thx! 

I do think ther was a rivalry w SW.. Lcc n SW/Wainwright/McC all on the South side of Laf.. carried over w McC for a couple yrs..  the Mavs were very good.. I do recall Lcc went 2-0 vrs some very very good Mav teams at the start of that series..  it was important to beat SW... no matter what they called themselves... LoL

LCC played Southwestern every year from 1959-1974.  It was a rivalry game.  Playing SW back then is just like LCC playing McC today.  LCC went 12-4 against SW during those years.  It was the last game of the season from 1968-1974.  In 1969 both teams were 9-0 and LCC beat SW 26-6 that year.

1 hour ago, Tippy said:

LCC played Southwestern every year from 1959-1974.  It was a rivalry game.  Playing SW back then is just like LCC playing McC today.  LCC went 12-4 against SW during those years.  It was the last game of the season from 1968-1974.  In 1969 both teams were 9-0 and LCC beat SW 26-6 that year.

Do u hav more detail on those years? ... records ect.. most know of the WL series... SW seems... well forgotten by alota peeps... curious now I am...