• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/28/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romaine Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer  Warsaw:  Phil Jenson Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner New Haven  Jim Rowland S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak  Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street
Sign in to follow this  
Muda69

Doyel: Bob Knight's middle finger to Indiana act getting old

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2016/11/01/doyel-bob-knights-middle-finger-indiana-act-getting-old/93065422/

Indiana wants to love Bob Knight. This state is just waiting for an excuse to forgive and forget and embrace the forever coach of IU basketball.

But he’s not giving it. Perhaps he won’t ever give it. Possibly he’s not wired to do so, because an extension of even the smallest of olive branches requires humility and humanity that Knight hasn’t been willing to show. He is a private man, and he is a stubborn man, and he is an angry man.

And so we wait.

The cult of Knight is powerful, is the point, but time has weakened its hold over the state. He has spent that time extending a middle finger to IU and, by extension, the IU fans who loved him unconditionally.

Knight first began to raise his hand in their direction when he snubbed his own induction ceremony into the IU Hall of Fame in 2009, and higher it went in 2014 when he ignored A.J. Guyton’s public plea to attend Guyton’s own induction into the IU hall. The finger was pointing skyward – You’re not No. 1 – in January when Knight didn’t return for the 40th anniversary celebration of his perfect 1976 national champion team.

He didn’t respond to the invitation.

Five weeks after that, Knight put to rest questions of his ability to travel when he returned to Indiana to appear at a fundraiser … for Purdue. By joking alongside Gene Keady and posing for pictures with Purdue fans at the Famous Purdue Agriculture Fish Fry at the State Fairgrounds, Knight was raising that finger ever higher and slowly spinning toward all four corners of this state, making it clear to you folks in Milan, Evansville, Gary, Fort Wayne and everywhere in between what he thinks of your school.

But you’ll forgive that. You’ll forgive it all, even his most recent appearance with Donald Trump in Michigan, when he teased the crowd Monday by noting "we beat your ass most every time we played you" – referring not to Indiana, but his alma mater Ohio State – if only he’d show a little affection for the school, players and fan base that launched his Hall of Fame coaching career. Just show IU, and IU fans, that they're not dead to him. That’s all it would take. Return to campus one time. Let this fan base, this state, love him one last time.

Anybody believe that this will every happen, that Mr. Knight's heart will soften toward IU and this state?

Grew up an IU fan because of Coach Knight, as a youngster, for some reason I just gravitated to his style of coaching and of course his teams won.  Maybe my Dad and older brother being PU folks I was trying to be different, I don't know, but I always rooted for them until I became older and wiser and boilermaker blood came to the surface.  To this day though, I still find Coach Knight a polarizing individual and would love for him to be remembered at IU for his contributions eventually and have that 1 final bow.  But maybe his final bow was this........

• Upvote 1

While I understand he left on bad terms at IU, there was a reason for that. More and more reports have come out about his abusive behavior towards players. Punching players in the top of the head, grabbing their you know whats, breaking clipboards on players from hitting them so hard is a good way of getting yourself fired. While I've been a lifelong IU fan that would definitely embrace Knight's return, he needs to sit down and realize that he was in the wrong. But to be honest, I don't think he ever will. Knight is too stubborn to admit his own mistakes. 

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, braaadly said:

While I understand he left on bad terms at IU, there was a reason for that. More and more reports have come out about his abusive behavior towards players. Punching players in the top of the head, grabbing their you know whats, breaking clipboards on players from hitting them so hard is a good way of getting yourself fired. While I've been a lifelong IU fan that would definitely embrace Knight's return, he needs to sit down and realize that he was in the wrong. But to be honest, I don't think he ever will. Knight is too stubborn to admit his own mistakes. 

I agree. I've never been a huge fan of IU or Bob Knight. He's definitely one of the best coaches of all time, but being good at a job doesn't make you a good person.

• Upvote 1

Another commentary about Mr. Knight along these lines:  John Feinstein: Bob Knight wants the last word on everything. Why do we bother listening? - http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2017/03/23/john-feinstein-bob-knight-wants-last-word-everything-why-do-we-bother-listening/99527666/

Twelve days ago, shortly after his team had pulled out a draining and dramatic overtime win over Penn in the semifinals of the inaugural Ivy League basketball tournament, Princeton Coach Mitch Henderson walked into the back of the interview room. He was standing in a corner, waiting to be called to the podium, when he caught my eye.

I waved and mouthed, "Congratulations." He nodded, then urgently waved me over. I couldn't imagine what he wanted to tell me, but thought he might want to share something that would help my column.

I walked over and we shook hands.

"So what's the deal with your guy Knight?" he asked.

A little more than 24 hours earlier, Bob Knight had told Dan Patrick during a radio interview that he wished all the people who had been in charge at Indiana when he was fired had died or would die soon.

I had been asked the same question countless times already and I've been asked it over and over again in the days since.

The court at Assembly Hall should have his name on it. He should return there to the cheers of the multitudes. He should be enjoying everything he accomplished in coaching and reveling in the relationships he built during that time.

Instead, he goes on the radio and wishes people dead. He can't help himself. He's still trying to have the last word when the last word came and went for him years ago.

All of which is almost unbearably sad for anyone whose life he touched - mine among them. Many will say, 'It's just Knight being Knight,' in response to anything he says or does.

That is the saddest thing of all.

I agree with Mr. Feinstein.

• Upvote 1

Robert Montgomery Knight will forever be the greatest man to set foot in our state!  The General will NEVER return to Assembly Hall, as much as I would like to see it. He is physically incapable of it just like he is incapable of controlling his temper. It is part of the fabric of the man himself. 

Hes actually been back to Assembly Hall on multiple ocassions, just not public events

Huge fan of Tecumseh, great American guerrilla fighter!

Sorry coach G, wasn't aware of Coach Knight's private visits to Assembly Hall. This discussion is about his lack of participation in IU Basketball events as a public figure and great former coach of the program. To my knowledge, he has not appeared at Assembly Hall in that capacity.