Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2023 Purdue Boilermakers

PHJIrish

I've asked this question of some who I thought might have some insight into Purdue football.  Why haven't the Boilers played Jaron Tibbs this season.  I've been told he wasn't red shirted but, to my knowledge, he hasn't seen the field this season.  With their season almost over you would think Jaron would get some PT.  IMHO, he was the best WR in the history of Cathedral football and should at least have a look at Purdue.

just a few older guys ahead of him was my understanding, but with Sheffield bolting before Bucket game, it looks like he got some more run and had a nice day Saturday.  

Some real tough moments in this transition year, Harrell had some real bright spots, then some real WTF spots......

A lot of young exciting players that Walters was able to hold onto from Brohm class, obviously potential Freshman All American in Thienman was an absolute STUD in Walters system.  TE Burhnam (sp) also showed a lot in bucket game with Tibbs.   

GOT TO FIND OFFENSIVE LINEMAN 

Big Big Off Season 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ragdoll said:

D front and corners needed

I would contend, Interior DL more so than Edge,  Caraway is a DUDE.....  Jenkins I think is pretty decent as well.   

They snagged all those transfer corners last year but none were Standouts it seems, but didn't know if that was scheme vs player. 

Huge news at least on OL side,  Hartwig finishing up his career at Purdue,  BIG for them 

Interior is correct.  right where the two native dudes left last year for other fields. Also, you can never have enough dudes who can play edge/inhibit route/passing lanes. With the new additions in 2024, this league will do some adjusting to new offensive emphasis. You are not defending Michigan, Iowa and Wisconsin power run anymore. Also, this may be some of the success Ohio St had with their receivers in Myer/Day era (besides they had many of the best receivers any team saw).

• Like 1

On 11/26/2023 at 11:00 AM, Coach Nowlin said:

just a few older guys ahead of him was my understanding, but with Sheffield bolting before Bucket game, it looks like he got some more run and had a nice day Saturday.  

Some real tough moments in this transition year, Harrell had some real bright spots, then some real WTF spots......

A lot of young exciting players that Walters was able to hold onto from Brohm class, obviously potential Freshman All American in Thienman was an absolute STUD in Walters system.  TE Burhnam (sp) also showed a lot in bucket game with Tibbs.   

GOT TO FIND OFFENSIVE LINEMAN 

Big Big Off Season 

If there were a lot of receivers ahead of him, why did the Boilers have such a bad season?  I watched Jaron play for three years and that young man can get open and catch the football, albeit at the high school level.  I wish him well, and it would be nice if Danny O'Neil signed with Purdue and hooked up with Jaron again.

Edited by PHJIrish

Because he is 18/19 playing against MEN who are 21 +.  it's a VERY LARGE JUMP from Cathedral to beating B10 Defensive Backs who many will be playing in NFL as a Freshman Wideout.   

You have watched a 100+ if not more Cathedral games, think of it this way, You have all these skill kids at Cathedral and O'Neil, but their Offensive line is as good as like the 320th ranked 1a Offensive Line here in Indiana.   How good would that offense be then?   Now you see why Purdue struggled so much.  Literally could barely get WR down field and OPEN before CARD was running for his life.    You had 1 good OL, that was Hartwig, that was it imo.   

@PHJIrish

2024 Purdue offensive line additiions

Offensive lineman Ht./Wt. Eligibility left Former school
Rod Green 6-5/315 Three years Coffeyville (Kan.) C.C.
Corey Stewart 6-6/303 Two years Ball State
Joey Tanona 6-5/295 Four years Notre Dame
DJ Wingfield 6-4/289 One year New Mexico

10 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

2024 Purdue offensive line additiions

Offensive lineman Ht./Wt. Eligibility left Former school
Rod Green 6-5/315 Three years Coffeyville (Kan.) C.C.
Corey Stewart 6-6/303 Two years Ball State
Joey Tanona 6-5/295 Four years Notre Dame
DJ Wingfield 6-4/289 One year New Mexico

What’s the time frame expected for Tanona to contribute? I know he was in a pretty significant car accident two years ago and Notre Dame never cleared him due to lingering concussions…assuming the concussion issues are no more, how much time does he need to physically get ready to see the field?

On 12/4/2023 at 10:52 AM, Coach Nowlin said:

Because he is 18/19 playing against MEN who are 21 +.  it's a VERY LARGE JUMP from Cathedral to beating B10 Defensive Backs who many will be playing in NFL as a Freshman Wideout.   

You have watched a 100+ if not more Cathedral games, think of it this way, You have all these skill kids at Cathedral and O'Neil, but their Offensive line is as good as like the 320th ranked 1a Offensive Line here in Indiana.   How good would that offense be then?   Now you see why Purdue struggled so much.  Literally could barely get WR down field and OPEN before CARD was running for his life.    You had 1 good OL, that was Hartwig, that was it imo.   

@PHJIrish

Horse feathers!  He was a man among boys at the high school level.  He was quite mature on and off the field.  As for my attendance at Cathedral football games, it's somewhere in the hundreds.  I saw my first one in 1955 And I've seen a lot of 'em since. I wish I would have kept a journal all these years, but I probably didn't expect to live this long.

15 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Horse feathers!  He was a man among boys at the high school level.  He was quite mature on and off the field.  As for my attendance at Cathedral football games, it's somewhere in the hundreds.  I saw my first one in 1955 And I've seen a lot of 'em since. I wish I would have kept a journal all these years, but I probably didn't expect to live this long.

I know Cathedral is on a different planet then mosts but it's not very common for an 18 year old to come in and just start on a B10 team, i think you understand this.   

I'm sure he will have an impactful years to come, just didn't happen this year.   Question is did he save his red shirt???

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I know Cathedral is on a different planet then mosts but it's not very common for an 18 year old to come in and just start on a B10 team, i think you understand this.   

I'm sure he will have an impactful years to come, just didn't happen this year.   Question is did he save his red shirt???

Yeah. Not taking anytheing way from Tibbs as I think he has a bright future with Purdue, but a majority of the guys on Big Ten rosters were men amongst boys in HS football. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nic leaves to go home for Xmas, and comes away with 500k NIL deal , Car, House and now with Texas AM.   Good Times 

Walters was told about it day before he announced, went to house after season, all was good, family was all in at Purdue, kid goes home for xmas, and....duffle bags of money says time to stay home.  

Don't hate the playa, hate the game they say.   ugh.