Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Saban is retiring

Grover

He is 72 so I get it. But damn. You could always count on his clubs setting the bar. Bama made college football better. Interesting to see who fills that void in college football. And who will replace him at Bama, tough tough situation. 

Don't blame him one bit, cannot imagine at his stature in the game it is worth it to Coach Saban to continue to coach in this new era of NIL ownership of teams, Coach Saban is not someone who would enjoy that aspect of the current status of CFB.   I salute Coach, tremendous coach.  

• Like 3

Any time you can replace your legendary coach whose most recent game coached was a loss to Michigan with a non-legendary coach whose most recent game coached was a loss to Michigan, you have to pull the trigger. Congrats on the hire, Alabama.

• Haha 1

I'll never understand a move like this, but that's just me. To each their own. Reminds me of when Rich Rodriguez had the world at his finger tips when he was at West Virginia. It was all downhill from there. DeBoer is pretty revered in Washington and the move to the Big Ten was pretty exciting for their program. Again, to each their own. 

1 hour ago, BTF said:

I'll never understand a move like this, but that's just me. To each their own. Reminds me of when Rich Rodriguez had the world at his finger tips when he was at West Virginia. It was all downhill from there. DeBoer is pretty revered in Washington and the move to the Big Ten was pretty exciting for their program. Again, to each their own. 

I agree with you. DeBoer will not succeed at Alabama and he will be run out of town in 2-3 years and wish he had stayed at Washington.

11 hours ago, Komets2727 said:

I agree with you. DeBoer will not succeed at Alabama and he will be run out of town in 2-3 years and wish he had stayed at Washington.

I guess we'll see. To his credit, he has won everywhere he's been. SEC is a different beast though. 

1 hour ago, BTF said:

I guess we'll see. To his credit, he has won everywhere he's been. SEC is a different beast though. 

You never want to follow a legend…you want a guy in between.

DeBoer is legit but the Bama faithful will not be patient and if Saban is their measuring stick, they should prepare to be disappointed.

Edited by temptation
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, temptation said:

You never want to follow a legend…you want a guy in between.

DeBoer is legit but the Bama faithful will not be patient and if Saban is their measuring stick, they should prepare to be disappointed.

Exactly. Selfishly I'm disappointed becaues I was looking forward to seeing him in the Big Ten. But, I also feel this guy just made a huge mistake. I guess we'll see. IMO, the only ego big enough to fill that void was Kiffin. And Oxford to Tuscaloosa is a big step up for him. I would have thought Sarkisian or some other coach who is established at a Blue Blood would have been crazy to take that job.

You've got to admire a guy who is willing to accept a challenge like that. The $10+ million a year probably doesn’t hurt, either. Washington will always be a red-headed stepchild in the B1G. Now he’s at the marquee school in the marquee conference. Guy’s definitely got some big ones!

• Like 2

On 1/13/2024 at 12:02 PM, Bobref said:

You've got to admire a guy who is willing to accept a challenge like that. The $10+ million a year probably doesn’t hurt, either. Washington will always be a red-headed stepchild in the B1G. Now he’s at the marquee school in the marquee conference. Guy’s definitely got some big ones!

On 1/13/2024 at 12:02 PM, Bobref said:

I agree with your comment Bob.  That is a job that had he passed, he would have probably always thought "what if".  

Wasn't a walk in the park for Ray Perkins when he succeeded the Bear. But he had the first losing season for Bama since 1957.  Regardless, his next assignment after Bama following his resignation wasn't bad....he certainly moved on.  I think DeBoar will be just fine.  I like his hire of Wommack....glad to see him focus on D.

8 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

I agree with your comment Bob.  That is a job that had he passed, he would have probably always thought "what if".  

Wasn't a walk in the park for Ray Perkins when he succeeded the Bear. But he had the first losing season for Bama since 1957.  Regardless, his next assignment after Bama following his resignation wasn't bad....he certainly moved on.  I think DeBoar will be just fine.  I like his hire of Wommack....glad to see him focus on D.

Agree. No one can blame the guy for taking it. I've just seen many good careers go south going from one gig to another. Doesn't really matter from a monetary standpoint. Charlie Weiss is a good example of getting rich from being a lousy head football coach. At the end of the day, good coach or bad coach, they all end up with one hell of a retirement. 

18 hours ago, BTF said:

Agree. No one can blame the guy for taking it. I've just seen many good careers go south going from one gig to another. Doesn't really matter from a monetary standpoint. Charlie Weiss is a good example of getting rich from being a lousy head football coach. At the end of the day, good coach or bad coach, they all end up with one hell of a retirement. 

You make great points...sometimes the gamble works out....sometimes it doesn't and it would have been better to stay in "your own backyard".  DeBoar had certainly moved the Huskies forward and kind of had it made there.  A gamble for sure.   I had circled the Washington at IU game next year because of him...now not so sure, although I believe Washington made a nice hire of the Arizona coach...who also turned that program around.

I do think DeBoar has more experience as a head coach than Weiss given his time as Fresno State, Washington and then prior at smaller schools.  Weiss had pretty much been a coordinator at the pro level (outstanding O coordinator) and jumped straight into a head coaching job at a major place before working up.  

Time will tell about DeBoar....Saban came over as a SEC coach....DeBoar is definitely an outsider to the SEC.  The question is can he recruit and retain players.

11 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

You make great points...sometimes the gamble works out....sometimes it doesn't and it would have been better to stay in "your own backyard".  DeBoar had certainly moved the Huskies forward and kind of had it made there.  A gamble for sure.   I had circled the Washington at IU game next year because of him...now not so sure, although I believe Washington made a nice hire of the Arizona coach...who also turned that program around.

I do think DeBoar has more experience as a head coach than Weiss given his time as Fresno State, Washington and then prior at smaller schools.  Weiss had pretty much been a coordinator at the pro level (outstanding O coordinator) and jumped straight into a head coaching job at a major place before working up.  

Time will tell about DeBoar....Saban came over as a SEC coach....DeBoar is definitely an outsider to the SEC.  The question is can he recruit and retain players.

I actually wasn't meaning to compare DeBoar to Weiss. I think DeBoar has proven to be a very high level head football coach. Weiss never reached that status. I think my point was this: If the gamble pays off, then great. DeBoar will have achieved success at arguably the most storied program in college football. And if he doesn't? He still parachutes out a rich man and lives happily ever after. 

• Like 1