Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Cory Yeoman Retires

1 hour ago, RegionFBFan said:

Coach Marshall is a great coach and they have a great staff but why leave Valpo? He has built Valpo program to rival Penn. Valpo already in a better conference than Penn.

He's pretty good with an enrollment of 2100. Scary how good he could be with 3500. But where is he more than likely going to make deep runs in the playoffs? He might be better off at Valpo in 5A..................Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing Marshall take over at Penn. The Kingsmen would be a force. I think the rest of 6A north would have their hands full. 

On 2/14/2024 at 8:23 AM, BSUKingsmen said:

I have little faith in the Penn AD Jeff Hart to make a good decision here. There are zero good options internally to fill the head coaching role, but one current assistant is politicking big time and it would be a travesty if he got it.

Well, that's not the best news. Are you surprised by who it is or no?

I have little faith in the Penn AD Jeff Hart to make a good decision here. There are zero good options internally to fill the head coaching role, but one current assistant is politicking big time and it would be a travesty if he got it.

Is there any chance a 6A coach from the Indy area would be interested in taking on the opportunity?

I think Penn needs to take applications but also reach out to coaches to make sure they are getting the best candidate for the job. Don't be afraid to hear the word no. There are going to be people who are happy to stay in their current situation, but there will be coaches who will listen. 

I think it depends how they pitch the opportunity. Are we looking to bring the program back to it's old Glory, or are we just looking for a 20 year place holder that will win 9/10 games a year in a weak conference. 

I obviously have no inside info but I'd think that there's gotta be young coaches lining up out the door to take their crack at getting this job. Openings at legitimate blue bloods don't come along every day. I think if Penn takes their time and does their homework, they should be able to land a great coach who can bring them back to the standards they expect. 

• Like 1

Oh I am sure its obvious who is lobbying for it internally, and I'm sure if he doesn't get it he will jump ship with his school duties elsewhere and cause a stir....IYKYK!!  LBVS!!

There are several coaches going to take a shot at this position I'm sure.... and I feel who they decide on will shock people and there will be a change of culture and back to their winning ways of the 90's!!!       On that note where is Rosey at these days.... hmmmm!!!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BSUKingsmen said:

Not really. Several of us thought it might happen whenever Cory decided to retire. It would set Penn football back years.

3 hours ago, Football Guru 25 said:

its obvious who is lobbying for it internally, and I'm sure if he doesn't get it he will jump ship with his school duties elsewhere

This was where my mind was going.

On 2/16/2024 at 7:25 AM, Football Guru 25 said:

Oh I am sure its obvious who is lobbying for it internally, and I'm sure if he doesn't get it he will jump ship with his school duties elsewhere and cause a stir....IYKYK!!  LBVS!!

There are several coaches going to take a shot at this position I'm sure.... and I feel who they decide on will shock people and there will be a change of culture and back to their winning ways of the 90's!!!       On that note where is Rosey at these days.... hmmmm!!!

The days of walking into games and the other team rolls over for you are long gone. Penn in my mind needs to get that chip on their shoulder. 

Rosey is in Cali last I heard. quit coaching so he could support his son's volleyball career. 

Scott Dreisbach, has head coaching experience or OC experience down in Texas if I am not mistaken. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BLACKGOLD2007 said:

The days of walking into games and the other team rolls over for you are long gone. Penn in my mind needs to get that chip on their shoulder. 

Rosey is in Cali last I heard. quit coaching so he could support his son's volleyball career. 

Scott Dreisbach, has head coaching experience or OC experience down in Texas if I am not mistaken. 

Rosey's son is an incredible Volleyball player. Miss that dude.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Formerly Number 39 said:

Did Coach Yeoman win a title while HC?

He's 0-5 in state title games. Two of those games were competitive, so you could say he was close to winning twice. Nonetheless, the man took his team to the championship 5 times............impressive. There are some good programs out there who'd like to just go once............Merrillville and Mishawaka. 

43 minutes ago, BTF said:

He's 0-5 in state title games. Two of those games were competitive, so you could say he was close to winning twice. Nonetheless, the man took his team to the championship 5 times............impressive. There are some good programs out there who'd like to just go once............Merrillville and Mishawaka.

Unless I've lost it, it's four state runner ups for Cory. No need to qualify his success, but, to your point, there are plenty of good programs that would love a single state finals appearance. 

9 hours ago, PDB26 said:

Unless I've lost it, it's four state runner ups for Cory. No need to qualify his success, but, to your point, there are plenty of good programs that would love a single state finals appearance. 

A Penn fan would know. Scrolling through past seasons, I believe I counted one of his five semi-state losses as a state finals appearance. 

9 Regional titles

4 Semi-state titles

• Like 1

On 2/27/2024 at 7:45 PM, BTF said:

He's 0-5 in state title games. Two of those games were competitive, so you could say he was close to winning twice. Nonetheless, the man took his team to the championship 5 times............impressive. There are some good programs out there who'd like to just go once............Merrillville and Mishawaka

FWIW - Mishawaka has been to championship. They went in 2012, losing to Cathedral 56-29 in the 4A State Championship game. That was smack dab in the middle of the Irish's 5-year championship run between 2010-2014.

5 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

FWIW - Mishawaka has been to championship. They went in 2012, losing to Cathedral 56-29 in the 4A State Championship game. That was smack dab in the middle of the Irish's 5-year championship run between 2010-2014.

Good catch. Mishawaka's not new to success by any means. I think the Cavemen are one of those overlooked programs who've  been pretty stout for the last three decades. Not to mention 11 sectional titles over the past 15 seasons. They seem to reload at the coaching position with guys who stick around for awhile. 

When Penn was part of the elite...they were at the top of enrollment.  No one was their size save a few MIC schools (e.g. Carmel, BD).

Growth around Indy has outpaced Granger....Penn is a very middle of the pack Indy Metro school now.  I'm obviosly biased....but there a few OC/DC's at those Indy metro schools that would be an excellent choice for a program that wants to beat those same types of schools.  

And "No", I have no specific knowledge of any particular person applying for the Penn job.

54 minutes ago, US31 said:

When Penn was part of the elite...they were at the top of enrollment.  No one was their size save a few MIC schools (e.g. Carmel, BD).

Growth around Indy has outpaced Granger....Penn is a very middle of the pack Indy Metro school now.  I'm obviosly biased....but there a few OC/DC's at those Indy metro schools that would be an excellent choice for a program that wants to beat those same types of schools.  

And "No", I have no specific knowledge of any particular person applying for the Penn job.

I saw that Penn was still like top 5 or 6 largest school in Indiana. That is still bigger than most Indy schools.  This isn't a size issue that has defeated Penn. It was complacency and at time the lack of buy in from the players. 3 of the last 5 years, on the field and sidelines you could tell, NO ONE seemed to care. Coaches wouldn't do anything and the players were stone cold silent. The D would ball out for three quarters and then get torched in the fourth because the O did not know how to sustain a drive. O-lineman would come to the bench and just sit there, no one would challenge one another. That changed two seasons ago and carried into last season. This past senior class cared and it showed. Players would hold each other accountable on the sideline. 

I am not saying yelling determines passion, but when things are not going well or things are hard, and no one says a word...that scares me.

2 hours ago, BLACKGOLD2007 said:

I saw that Penn was still like top 5 or 6 largest school in Indiana. That is still bigger than most Indy schools.  This isn't a size issue that has defeated Penn. It was complacency and at time the lack of buy in from the players. 3 of the last 5 years, on the field and sidelines you could tell, NO ONE seemed to care. Coaches wouldn't do anything and the players were stone cold silent. The D would ball out for three quarters and then get torched in the fourth because the O did not know how to sustain a drive. O-lineman would come to the bench and just sit there, no one would challenge one another. That changed two seasons ago and carried into last season. This past senior class cared and it showed. Players would hold each other accountable on the sideline. 

I am not saying yelling determines passion, but when things are not going well or things are hard, and no one says a word...that scares me.

I'm not disagreeing with you....but at least last cycle, Penn was near the bottom of the top ten (8 or 9th?)...but there are about 15 schools within a few hundred students over or under Penn.  I don't think that was the case back in the 80's & 90's....maybe I'm wrong. 

If I am...may there be no yellow moons in my next bowl of Lucky Charms.

3 hours ago, BLACKGOLD2007 said:

That’s a good breakdown. Can I ask what do you think the change was the last two years?

3 hours ago, BLACKGOLD2007 said:

Gameday moxie is important. Throw in a little swagger. Without it, you're done. Let the kids have fun. 

4 hours ago, US31 said:

Good points. Expanding on that:

In the past, for a team up north to win the large division state title, you just had to be better than Carmel, Ben Davis, and Warren Central. You basically had two northern teams, Penn and Snider, competing with those three. Now you have Center Grove, Brownsburg, Hamilton Southeastern, Fishers, Westfield, Cathedral, and Avon. That's ten powerful programs for the north to contend with. Ten years ago, with Snider bumping down, all that was left was Penn............good luck with that. Fast forward to 2024 with Snider bumping back up, now it's 4 vs 10, with the inclusion of Carroll and Crown Point. The odds are still stacked against the north. There won't be a balance of power until Homestead, Lake Central, and Elkhart up their game. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, US31 said:

Penn was near the bottom of the top ten (8 or 9th?)...but there are about 15 schools within a few hundred students over or under Penn.  I don't think that was the case back in the 80's & 90's....maybe I'm wrong. 

If I am...may there be no yellow moons in my next bowl of Lucky Charms.

When Penn was among the elite teams there was greater diversity––relative to the past 20 years––in state finalists, champions, and where they hailed from in the state. 

I can remember that WC and NC were basically as big or bigger than Penn by 2000. Here's a link from the IHSAA that used enrolled boys in grades 9-11 for the 2001, 2002 season classifications (based on '99-'00 enrollments). https://legacy.ihsaa.org/archive/media/2000-01/121900.htm 

Certainly, Penn has fallen off to some degree. I'd argue it's related more to which schools have not closed an enrollment gap than those that have, and I don't know if they've necessarily fallen as far as we think. While suburban Indy has grown substantially and more large schools are playing great football here, that growth has not impacted Penn's success in football.