Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Bears 2024

Muda69

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

If Chicago can’t exploit Washington’s obvious desire for Caleb Williams, somebody needs to be fired: https://deadspin.com/caleb-williams-josh-fields-nfl-chicago-bears-commanders-1851235854

If the Bears are even considering keeping Fields and trading down, keep in mind that the first 3 picks are likely to be QBs. If they’ve decided they’re sticking with Fields, they trade the #1 for Washington’s #2 plus. Then, they still don’t need a QB, so they can flip the #2 for the #3 with the Patriots, plus, and they can do the same with the #3 with anyone else. Or, they can keep the #3 and take Harrison, Jr. So, it’s not just a question of Caleb Williams vs. Fields, and the whole rookie contract thing. It’s Williams and his rookie contract, vs. Fields (who has 2 seasons left on his rookie deal) plus whatever they can get by flipping the picks, which would presumably include several projected starters who would also be on their rookie deals.

The Bears may keep Justin Fields — and draft Caleb Williams: https://deadspin.com/chicago-bears-nfl-justin-fields-caleb-williams-usc-1851247152

The Chicago Bears offseason centers around one major question: What to do at quarterback? Should the team draft for need, or trade Justin Fields and select Caleb Williams?

According to ESPN NFL insider Adam Schefter, the Bears are considering having both signal-callers on the roster:

“The Bears have talked about the idea, as unlikely as it seems, of carrying both quarterbacks,” Schefter said during ESPN’s Super Bowl pregame coverage. “Taking the guy at 1, and keeping Fields. Now, will they get to that? It’s hard to imagine that, but that is a conversation that’s come up within the organization.”

NFL Network’s Ian Rappoport also reported that the Bears have asked for “a historical haul” to move up to No. 1 overall.

It would take a historic haul, something crazy for the Bears to move off of the No. 1 overall selection,” Rapoport said. “That bit of knowledge contains wide-ranging ramifications. First of all, that is an indication, absent some sort of wild draft compensation for someone trying to move up for Caleb Williams, that is a sign they will likely take a quarterback No. 1.”

Is this just part of the Bears’ plan to up their asking price on both Fields and the No. 1 pick? Most likely, but it’s still a smart move if they decide to go through with it. Fields is coming off career highs in passing yards, completion percentage, and success rate. He is still not a great passer, but he is also continuing to improve every year. Even taking Williams No. 1 overall at least gives Chicago a chance to make a complete evaluation on Fields’ future before moving on.

Sitting rookie quarterbacks is also proving to be a pretty smart strategy at the moment. Both quarterbacks starting in Super Bowl LVIII – Patrick Mahomes and Brock Purdy – began their rookie season on the sideline learning under a veteran. The same goes for this year’s MVP Lamar Jackson, or breakout first-year starter Jordan Love.

It’s not perfect in every case. Josh Allen played through some ugly years before his third-year breakout and started every game. Offensive Rookie of the Year C.J. Stroud immediately tore up the NFL without needing to sit. It’s not necessary for everyone. It’s just smart practice to allow a player out of college get comfortable with the scheme and pro-level timing before getting thrown to the wolves.

Plus, having as many swings at the quarterback position is smart. The Arizona Cardinals weren’t happy with Josh Rosen, so they took Kyler Murray No. 1 the very next year. The New England Patriots have drafted a quarterback in six of the last 10 drafts, with five of them starting games in their NFL careers.

Having an elite quarterback is every team’s dream. Considering the Bears’ only Hall of Fame quarterback retired in 1950, they need every chance they can get to find their guy.

An interesting take.

13 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Exactly. And I don't buy for a second the Bears would take Williams at 1 and give up the draft picks they could get by trading Fields. 

Might be interesting if they do that. It’s been a long time since someone in Chicago was tarred & feathered, and ridden out of town on a rail.

BIG fan of healthy competition when you have position battles. 

Justin Fields has never had to worry about actual QB competition, you telling me a dude from the streets as a unsigned FA from D2 school is someone he had to worry about?   No chance.   

Nick Foles?  Andy Dalton?   cmon man.   

2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

So Gardner Minshew wasn't a quarterback?  You could have fooled me.

Minshew has done a great job … in his role as a backup, which he accepted There was no QB controversy there. There would be if both Fields and Caleb Williams were on the same roster.

38 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Minshew has done a great job … in his role as a backup, which he accepted There was no QB controversy there. There would be if both Fields and Caleb Williams were on the same roster.

A controversy most likely created by the media.  Not the Bears management and coaching staff.  Mr. Williams could be drafted by the Bears with the understanding he would be the backup to Mr. Fields.   

This whole expectation that "elite" college quarterbacks are ready to play at an NFL level on practically day one is a fantasy.  For every C.J. Stroud-like rookie season there are a dozen rookie QB seasons that are mediocre to poor.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

A controversy most likely created by the media.  Not the Bears management and coaching staff.  Mr. Williams could be drafted by the Bears with the understanding he would be the backup to Mr. Fields.   

This whole expectation that "elite" college quarterbacks are ready to play at an NFL level on practically day one is a fantasy.  For every C.J. Stroud-like rookie season there are a dozen rookie QB seasons that are mediocre to poor.

CJ Stroud doesn't happen often and some say because of the infrastructure already in place in Houston was a good reason why he was successful

Josh Allen was AWFUL early in career 

Patrick Mahomes sat a year behind Alex Smith 

Tom Brady Sat behind Drew Bledsoe 

Drew Brees Sat 

Lamar Jackson, Sat 

Justin Herbert should of sat, but Ownership told trainer to stab Geno Smith in lungs with a needle 

Love sat for YEARS behind Rodgers and Rodgers sat behind Farve

If Bears end up drafting Williams 1st, he should SIT a year, if they trade down, stick with Fields and draft lets say JJ McCarthy (that is scenario I hope for) then JJ sits and you get a better OC in for Fields this year and we get to see what this guy actually can do with proper coaching.  Something IMO he has yet to be able to experience 

3 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

If Bears end up drafting Williams 1st, he should SIT a year, if they trade down, stick with Fields and draft lets say JJ McCarthy (that is scenario I hope for) then JJ sits and you get a better OC in for Fields this year and we get to see what this guy actually can do with proper coaching.  Something IMO he has yet to be able to experience 

Makes sense, but for Fields’ contract situation. The Bears have until this May, I believe, to pick up the 5th year option, at a cost of about $25 million. Do you want your starting QB to be playing on an expiring contract? That’s a guaranteed “pulled hamstring.” 😉

39 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Makes sense, but for Fields’ contract situation. The Bears have until this May, I believe, to pick up the 5th year option, at a cost of about $25 million. Do you want your starting QB to be playing on an expiring contract? That’s a guaranteed “pulled hamstring.” 😉

Quite a wild scenarios that could play out in Chicago

This much I do know, if anything is leaked out of Chicago Hallas hall its because Poles wants it out there, other than that, Bears Brass is pretty darn good at the cloak and dagger under POLES, unlike PACE who was buffooned into bidding against himself in the infamous Tribusky draft.  

August 2024, I believe Fields to be a Pittsburgh Steeler 

August 2024, I believe Bears to have Caleb Williams 

but as I have stated, I believe in Ryan Poles over everything, so if he decides to move off the #1 and trade down and keep and Fields or even extend him then im in and lets go and coach him up 

42 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Quite a wild scenarios that could play out in Chicago

This much I do know, if anything is leaked out of Chicago Hallas hall its because Poles wants it out there, other than that, Bears Brass is pretty darn good at the cloak and dagger under POLES, unlike PACE who was buffooned into bidding against himself in the infamous Tribusky draft.  

August 2024, I believe Fields to be a Pittsburgh Steeler 

August 2024, I believe Bears to have Caleb Williams 

but as I have stated, I believe in Ryan Poles over everything, so if he decides to move off the #1 and trade down and keep and Fields or even extend him then im in and lets go and coach him up 

The Bears will continue to be the Bears....

2 hours ago, Gipper said:

2 hours ago, Gipper said:

can the hope be to change course ?  

i know, pipedream, and IM on the side of Until MCaskey's sell.....well.... but its ok to still have hope, even if Morgan Freeman believes it will kill you 

31 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

can the hope be to change course ?  

i know, pipedream, and IM on the side of Until MCaskey's sell.....well.... but its ok to still have hope, even if Morgan Freeman believes it will kill you 

Gipper is a Cheesehead. His pessimism is warranted. I have faith in Warren and Poles to pull the Bears out of the abyss of continual failure.  Otherwise, lets hope the McCaskey children cash in an sell the team once Virginia passes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

CJ Stroud doesn't happen often and some say because of the infrastructure already in place in Houston was a good reason why he was successful

Josh Allen was AWFUL early in career 

Patrick Mahomes sat a year behind Alex Smith 

Tom Brady Sat behind Drew Bledsoe 

Drew Brees Sat 

Lamar Jackson, Sat 

Justin Herbert should of sat, but Ownership told trainer to stab Geno Smith in lungs with a needle 

Love sat for YEARS behind Rodgers and Rodgers sat behind Farve

I can get on board with this. I have a feeling McCarthy will be a very capable NFL QB. And I think he could handle the pressure of being the hometown QB. 

Fields is awful. Just because he bails out his terrible reads and complete lack of anticipation with this athleticism doesn’t make him good. They’re taking Williams and if any team really wants to give them a 2nd rounder for Fields you jump on that before they can even hang up the phone. 

22 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

Fields is awful. Just because he bails out his terrible reads and complete lack of anticipation with this athleticism doesn’t make him good. They’re taking Williams and if any team really wants to give them a 2nd rounder for Fields you jump on that before they can even hang up the phone. 

I agree with yout. And I'm floored when I hear some analysts say Fields could get a 1st rounder in return. What!?!? Prepare yourself his apologists that will bring up the multiple OC's he's had.

15 hours ago, Boilernation said:

I agree with yout. And I'm floored when I hear some analysts say Fields could get a 1st rounder in return. What!?!? Prepare yourself his apologists that will bring up the multiple OC's he's had.

I wanted just as much as anyone else for the kid to be good. But after a couple seasons, it’s obvious he’s not the answer. He doesn’t have the mental map a legit NFL QB needs. He needs to see guys wide open, and can’t actually throw them open. He could get away with that in college throwing to a bunch of 5 stars who were running routes against overmatched DBs. In the NFL, not so much. Most of his big runs are because he held the ball way too long in the first place. He’s a good kid and he’s obviously highly respected by his teammates, but those intangibles don’t win football games. 

17 hours ago, Boilernation said:

Gipper is a Cheesehead. His pessimism is warranted. I have faith in Warren and Poles to pull the Bears out of the abyss of continual failure.  Otherwise, lets hope the McCaskey children cash in an sell the team once Virginia passes.

Really?  

Justin Fields follows Falcons players amid speculation he unfollowed the Bears: https://sports.yahoo.com/justin-fields-follows-falcons-players-184630312.html

Speculation rose Monday about Bears quarterback Justin Fields unfollowing the team's social media account on Instagram. It's unknown whether or not he followed the account in the first place, but he doesn't follow it now.

Whether or not that's a sign, fans are now reading the tea leaves of his following section. Fields follows several Atlanta Falcons players on Instagram including Kyle Pitts, Bijan Robinson, Drake London and Jessie Bates III.

Is Fields' following indicative of his next destination?

For what it's worth, Fields follows a multitude of players from around the league on social media. One reason he might follow Pitts is that they were both selected by their respective teams in the 2021 NFL draft. Fields also follows quarterback Kyle Trask, who was taken in the same draft.

But Atlanta has been one of the teams most prominently attached to his name in trade rumors. It's also worth noting that Fields is also a Georgia native.

Fields has never been very active on the social media platform, to begin with, but if he did recently unfollow the team, it might be a clue as to whether or not the Bears are planning to move on from Fields this offseason.

Bears general manager Ryan Poles has been exploring the possibility of taking USC quarterback Caleb Williams with the No. 1 overall pick of the 2024 NFL Draft, which would most likely result in the Bears trading Justin Fields to another team before free agent signing begins on March 13.

• Like 1