Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2 hours ago, gonzoron said:

Not really a surprise to the locals here. Coach Gilbert ran for Westfield mayor last year, but lost to current mayor Scott Willis in the May Republican primary. With Coach Miracle taking over, a long time Gilbert assistant, the program is in good hands. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RegionFBFan said:

My only surprise is he’s going back as Associate HC not the Head Coach. Maybe this is a transition year for Morrel and Gilbert?

Coach Gilbert is a great coach, Best of Luck!

That's exactly what it is.  It says in the article that Coach Gilbert will become the Head Coach at Wabash in the Fall of 2025.

50 minutes ago, 1st_and_10 said:

That's exactly what it is.  It says in the article that Coach Gilbert will become the Head Coach at Wabash in the Fall of 2025.

Good. Sorry, I didn’t read the article. A definite upgrade for Wabash!!!

2 hours ago, temptation said:

Top 5 job in Indiana...maybe better.

What separates Westfield from Carroll, Homestead, Fishers, Carmel, HSE, Zionsville, Brownsburg, Center Grove, Avon, Penn, Ben Davis, etc? Legitimate question. I'm counting 10-15 schools that are right up there. What makes them Top 5?

1 hour ago, BTF said:

What separates Westfield from Carroll, Homestead, Fishers, Carmel, HSE, Zionsville, Brownsburg, Center Grove, Avon, Penn, Ben Davis, etc? Legitimate question. I'm counting 10-15 schools that are right up there. What makes them Top 5?

My 2 cents:

I first saw Westfield when they came up to play Merrillville in the semistate in November, 2020. Before the game even started, I knew Merrillville was in trouble. Even in the pregame, you could see Westfield was extremely well-organized and disciplined. And that’s the way they played. Not extraordinarily athletic, but no missed assignments, no bad body language, no stupid penalties. Their sideline ran as smoothly as I’ve ever seen in a great big game on the road. In that regard, I felt they were comparable to Center Grove. In my view, these are the signs of a very well-coached team: discipline and execution. In the times I’ve seen them after that, same thing.

Edited by Bobref
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Bobref said:

My 2 cents:

I first saw Westfield when they came up to play Merrillville in the semistate in November, 2020. Before the game even started, I knew Merrillville was in trouble. Even in the pregame, you could see Westfield was extremely well-organized and disciplined. And that’s the way they played. Not extraordinarily athletic, but no missed assignments, no bad body language, no stupid penalties. Their sideline ran as smoothly as I’ve ever seen in a great big game on the road. In that regard, I felt they were comparable to Center Grove. In my view, these are the signs of a very well-coached team: discipline and execution. In the times I’ve seen them after that, same thing.

I think that speaks volumes about their coach, but he's no longer there. What makes Westfield a Top 5 job for the new coach? Are you speaking of culture?  Carroll (Fort Wayne) for instance. Great facilities, great community, growing community. I have no clue about their pay structure, although I'm sure it's better than FWCS. I'm presuming Westfield boasts those things as well. Maybe the position is well compensated? 

1 hour ago, BTF said:

1.  Money, great SES, two parent households, etc.

2.  One of, if not THE fastest growing area of population in the state.

3.  Facilities are top notch.

4.  Best conference in Indiana FORCES them to stay competitive (a rising tide raises all boats).

5.  Recent state championship appearance/success that can be sold as a cultural piece to the current crop of student athletes.

6.  Pay/teaching schedule.

Just my opinion.

Edited by temptation
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BTF said:

1 minute ago, temptation said:

4.  Best conference in Indiana FORCES them to stay competitive (a rising tide raises all boats).

5.  Recent state championship appearance/success that can be sold as a cultural piece to the current crop of student athletes.

Just my opinion.

I would agree. Going into the original comment I also would say CG and Brownsburg are top 5 coaching jobs as well. 

3 minutes ago, BTF said:

I think that speaks volumes about their coach, but he's no longer there. What makes Westfield a Top 5 job for the new coach? Are you speaking of culture?  Carroll (Fort Wayne) for instance. Great facilities, great community, growing community. I have no clue about their pay structure, although I'm sure it's better than FWCS. I'm presuming Westfield boasts those things as well. Maybe the position is well compensated? 

He left for a college job man, hardly a lateral move.

2 minutes ago, temptation said:

Just my opinion.

Your #4 gave me the answer I was looking for. 

Just now, temptation said:

He left for a college job man, hardly a lateral move.

Not sure what you're getting at, I don't recall saying leaving Westfield for Wabash was a lateral move. What am I missing?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BTF said:

I know you may view this as me being some sort of hater but my admiration for Carroll, specifically is well-documented on this very website.  But eventually (and maybe its already happening) Carroll is going to get bored as they are trending in the opposite direction as the majority of their conference.  Hence, part of the reason they are scheduling Indy schools?  You'd know more than me.

Westfield does not have to travel more than 45-60 minutes from its own 50-yard line and can play heavyweights on a weekly basis, which is an extension of my #4.

2 minutes ago, BTF said:

Not sure what you're getting at, I don't recall saying leaving Westfield for Wabash was a lateral move. What am I missing?

My bad.  Went back and re-read your post.  

Originally thought you were implying that "if Westfield is a top 5 job then why is this guy leaving?".

1 minute ago, temptation said:

I know you may view this as me being some sort of hater but my admiration for Carroll, specifically is well-documented on this very website.  But eventually (and maybe its already happening) Carroll is going to get bored as they are trending in the opposite direction as the majority of their conference.  Hence, part of the reason they are scheduling Indy schools?  You'd know more than me.

Westfield does not have to travel more than 45-60 minutes from its own 50-yard line and can play heavyweights on a weekly basis, which is an extension of my #4.

I don't think you're a hater of schools outside of Indy. I think you genuinely welcome the outside competition as a fan. I don't see Carroll getting bored anytime soon. Schools like Snider, Homestead, and Dwenger (the Saints won't be down forever) fill three pretty good slots. Add two Indy schools, the remaining four games will be a combination of "rest" games (Northrop) and the occasional barn burner (Luers, North Side, Wayne, or Concordia). I honestly think Carroll is in a near perfect situation. 

I would agree that Westfield's conference separates them from many of the others I mentioned. I didn't think of that. 

Gilbert Jacob A Hamilton Westfield-Washington School Corporation High School Teachers $118,760.03 2023

Hart John V Hendricks Brownsburg Community School Corporation Teacher $124,821.37

Not arguing either way. Was kind of surprised when looking at the Indiana Salary Database Would be willing to say those are two of the higher (if not highest) paying coaching jobs in the state....along with some of the best facilities and student-athletes to choose from in the state. 

58 minutes ago, FridayNightLights said:
Gilbert Jacob A Hamilton Westfield-Washington School Corporation High School Teachers $118,760.03 2023

Hart John V Hendricks Brownsburg Community School Corporation Teacher $124,821.37

Not arguing either way. Was kind of surprised when looking at the Indiana Salary Database Would be willing to say those are two of the higher (if not highest) paying coaching jobs in the state....along with some of the best facilities and student-athletes to choose from in the state. 

If this doesn’t open eyeballs, nothing will.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BTF said:

I think that speaks volumes about their coach, but he's no longer there.

Didn’t I see that one of his assistants already has the job? My impression of Westfield is that one of the reasons for their execution and discipline is a great staff from top to bottom.

33 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Didn’t I see that one of his assistants already has the job? My impression of Westfield is that one of the reasons for their execution and discipline is a great staff from top to bottom.

Could very well be. We'd all be naive to think that a head coach is a one man show in any sport. I guess we'll know the answer in a few years. I could name a few programs (but I don't care to) who had great coaches leave the program, but the next man up didn't maintain the same level of play. 

For now, I'll just stick to "kudos to Coach Gilbert for building one of the top 'pound for pound' programs in the state." And "good luck to the new coach."

2 hours ago, FridayNightLights said:

I think I found my answer in what constitutes a Top 5 job. That excludes any team from FWCS being in the Top 100. 

• Haha 1