• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/29/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romaine Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer  Warsaw:  Phil Jenson Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner New Haven  Jim Rowland S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak  Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired
Sign in to follow this  
NorthWoodGrad

4A State Championship - NorthWood vs. Roncalli

Congrats to northwood on advancing to Lucas.

lowell game breakdown.

rushing yards:

lowell -256 on 52 caries 

northwood- 115 on 32 caries

passing yards.

lowell -3-9 for 20 yds

northwood- 5-24 for 54 yds

total yds. Northwood 169 yds 8 first downs. Lowell - 252 yds 14 first downs.

Roncalli has a bigger faster defense than Lowell . It will be interesting to see if the panthers can get it going against the rebels. 

I'm very glad to see Roncalli back in the finals. LOS is a better place on Thanksgiving weekend when those rabid Rebel fans are in the house.

• Upvote 1

Congrats to Roncalli on a tough win last week over my alma mater, EC.  I was impressed with their balanced offense, and it looks like they stole some of EC's playbook from the year before by running a lot of power football.  Take away a questionable hold call (I think the only hold call the whole game) on EC in the 2nd half and it may have had a different outcome.  I don't know a lot about Northwood but I'm predicting a Roncalli win.  At least that way they will be in 5A next year and the Trojans won't have to worry about them until they come back down to 4A in 2 years.  Good Luck to both teams on Friday, I'm sure it will good game!

• Upvote 1

In fairness, I believe that was the only foul on EC all night.

speaking on nwood only their schedule did end up easier this year than normal, but alot of their games were over by half.  a game like warsaw i was at and it was 52-0 at half i think.  jimtown was week 1 and lowell isnt your average 4 loss team, they hadnt lost since switching qbs and a couple of those losses were to 6A teams.  and you have to realize it was a game played in 30 mph winds.  i would say the only game where nwood played poorly was northridge, that was just a weird game.

Northwood is going to be much better indoors ion the fast turf..

.....and I dont know if even Roncalli has defensive backs like Lowell does

31 minutes ago, LionPower said:

speaking on nwood only their schedule did end up easier this year than normal, but alot of their games were over by half.  a game like warsaw i was at and it was 52-0 at half i think.  jimtown was week 1 and lowell isnt your average 4 loss team, they hadnt lost since switching qbs and a couple of those losses were to 6A teams.  and you have to realize it was a game played in 30 mph winds.  i would say the only game where nwood played poorly was northridge, that was just a weird game.

Funny how many posts try to justify that maybe NorthWood isn't as good as their record indicates, and that their opponents aren't as bad as their records indicate.  Lol.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Old Lineman said:

Congrats to Roncalli on a tough win last week over my alma mater, EC.  I was impressed with their balanced offense, and it looks like they stole some of EC's playbook from the year before by running a lot of power football.  Take away a questionable hold call (I think the only hold call the whole game) on EC in the 2nd half and it may have had a different outcome.  I don't know a lot about Northwood but I'm predicting a Roncalli win.  At least that way they will be in 5A next year and the Trojans won't have to worry about them until they come back down to 4A in 2 years.  Good Luck to both teams on Friday, I'm sure it will good game!

The way I see it both EC and Roncalli will be in 5A next year due to success factor.  

3 minutes ago, fenderbender said:

The way I see it both EC and Roncalli will be in 5A next year due to success factor.  

Though double checking it appears that I was wrong.  I thought Roncalli went up once they won semi state and I thought it was the same with EC.

On 11/20/2016 at 9:16 PM, NorthWoodGrad said:

Assuming you mean *dominant* lol what in the world do you base your decision off of?

NorthWood has blown teams out all year long. If you're going strictly off scores, you're barely scratching the surface. With the exception of late touchdowns with 2nd and 3rd string D in the game, they had won every game by 14 or more until they beat Lowell 21-14 on Friday.

Until Lowell, they averaged over 500 yards of offense. About 250 through the air and 250 on the ground.

You can say Roncalli hasn't dominated teams and that's a fact. They've won lots of close games. But clearly they're a great team.

But then again, what kind of comment is that? From a Sullivan fan to boot. Just looking to stir up controversy and lose reputation I guess.

NorthWood wasn't too dominant in 2005 and won the 3A State Championship by a score of 7-0. Not too dominant. But they beat the most dominant team in the state Bishop Chatard.

Still bitter about this one...... heck of a football game. Good luck to both teams!

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, fenderbender said:

Though double checking it appears that I was wrong.  I thought Roncalli went up once they won semi state and I thought it was the same with EC.

Roncalli goes up to 5A if they win State (2 points for winning Regional last year and 4 points for winning State this year).  EC would have moved up to 5A if they would have won the Semi State this year, but with the loss in Semi State they will remain in 4A (3 points for Semi State win last year and only 2 points this year for Regional win).  Roncalli has to win State to move up to 5A.  It's a bitter pill to swallow knowing that EC was just a few plays away from winning last week, but I'll take it as long as Roncalli moves up to 5A next year! 

Old Lineman - I don't think the Rebels took anything from EC's playbook.  Bruce Scifres led Rebels have always been a power (toss) team.  This year they do have better offensive balance.  Roncalli doesn't dominate on the scoreboard, but they grind out close wins with ball control.  The offense is not fancy or explosive, just effective at moving the chains.  Both EC and Roncalli are ball control teams, there were only four total possessions in the second half of the SS game!  The key to the Championship game will be to keep Northwood's high-powered offense on the sideline.  

On 11/21/2016 at 4:06 PM, Old Lineman said:

Roncalli has been a Power (toss) team since Bruce Scifres became the Head Football Coach in 1990. They have had a plethora of running backs in their history that have ran that Power Toss to almost perfection behind a Offensive Line, FB, and QB (yes I said QB because even the QB blocks in their Power Toss). All of them have been terrific running backs: Mike Bohn, Sean SChembra, Pat Schaub, Tommy Schembra, Marcus Nalley, Tim Sergi. Even before the Scifres era there were some terrific running backs Dick Nalley and Joe Gillum.

2 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

Roncalli has been a Power (toss) team since Bruce Scifres became the Head Football Coach in 1990. They have had a plethora of running backs in their history that have ran that Power Toss to almost perfection behind a Offensive Line, FB, and QB (yes I said QB because even the QB blocks in their Power Toss). All of them have been terrific running backs: Mike Bohn, Sean SChembra, Pat Schaub, Tommy Schembra, Marcus Nalley, Tim Sergi. Even before the Scifres era there were some terrific running backs Dick Nalley and Joe Gillum.

I am not a long time Roncalli fan since I am recently new to the south side.   This pistol spread they seem to have started using in the last 5 years or so seems to have kept the power running that has defined them in the past and opened up the offense quite a bit to new things.

Rematch?

The only way this is even close to a rematch is school v. school.

Half these players were barely born in 1993.

How many of these players remember this game?

Let's let these two school's play this game for them, the present, not 1993.

Good luck both teams.

Enjoy the moment!

I predict Roncalli to win by 14.  And what happened to dwenger this year from the north? They were suppose to repeat so they said since they had so many juniors.

2 hours ago, from_the_sidelines007 said:

Rematch?

The only way this is even close to a rematch is school v. school.

Half these players were barely born in 1993.

How many of these players remember this game?

Let's let these two school's play this game for them, the present, not 1993.

Good luck both teams.

Enjoy the moment!

considering that game was 23 yrs ago, i'm guessing NONE of the players were born.  but i agree the only connection to that game is northwood's coach played in that game.

• Upvote 2

Coach Nate Andrews' brother Trevor, who also played on that team will be in attendance Friday. He's currently an assistant coach at William and Mary.

I am just getting excited more and more as the hours go by waiting for 3:30pm on Black Friday. NorthWood will be the home team according to Roncalli's website. So it will be the Black Crunch on Black Friday!

I've held off on a prediction till now. Roncalli has won several close games this year, so I predict their luck (skill) runs out Friday and NorthWood wins a nailbiter 30-28!

Edited by NorthWoodGrad

9 hours ago, railsplitters said:

I predict Roncalli to win by 14.  And what happened to dwenger this year from the north? They were suppose to repeat so they said since they had so many juniors.

The guy who predicted the repeat right after they won last year is "ImaSaint" and he's been absent for a long time now...  I don't remember any other dwenger fans being that bold.

On 11/21/2016 at 5:38 AM, navy80 said:

Cool your jets Northwoodgrad....I think you're taking my post a little to personal lol. I am just going off of scores because I have no interest in either team and coudn't tell you where NW is even located on an Indiana map.  just making conversation....

Northwood beat an average 3A Jimtown team 46-30.  They beat a 3 wins and 8 loss Northridge team 14-0.  Wawasee who went 4-6 lost 30-53 to you, You beat a 2-8 EM team 52-21.  , You beat a 4 loss Lowell team by a touchdown

I am not taking anything away from your team at all as they have great wins such as Goshen 8-3, Hobart 10-3, EN 8-3, and New Haven 11-1.  Yet, it seems no matter the skill level of the team you play the results are about the same. You bring up a good point about their run in 2005.  That has to be one of the biggest upsets at the state in 3A.

Roncalli is even worse in that regard as they have won close games all year long even beating Lebanon by one point. Beat Brebeuf by a touchdown, Beat Northview 35-14 .  It seems Roncalli does what it needs to do to win just like NW.  

Let me rephrase, when teams are undefeated, they typically blowout most of the teams on their schedule with only a few close games.  By purely looking at Roncalli and NW schedules it appears to me that these two do enough to win regardless of who their playing.  Now, I don't know the details of these games so JV may have played a big part.  Northwood beats a two-win team 14-0 but smokes an undefeated 11-0 team...?!?!  Roncalli plays a tough schedule but beats average teams 7-0, 14-6, and 35-14.  These two teams confuse me...maybe they play to the level of their competition?

NorthWood played and beat Hobart this year?

Lots of personal connections between these two programs.  Several former Roncalli and Northwood players became great friends in college.  Here is a nice article on some of the other connections.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2016/11/24/roncalli-northwood-bring-personal-history-into-class-4a-title-game/94361008/

Good luck to both teams,but we will be making the 3hr trip to support the Panthers of Northwood our NLC brothers,as well as the 2a Panthers as I have a friend whose kid plays on Eastbrook.  Best of all, my 9 year old can't wait to see some state championship football,after winning his Middlebury youth league this year.   Thought it was pretty great to see Northwood youth league is offering their players a free opportunity to go watch their elder "teammates" play today as well,taking three busses from Nappanee/Waky.

Left Elkhart County later than I'd hoped, almost to Carmel, but have to drop my 3 year old off at his aunt and uncles in Danville before headed to the Luke

Im sorry but that was a garbage personal foul call that helped on that first touchdown for Roncalli.