Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2024 Out of State Games, Whatcha got cookin (Wrestlemania, Rock voice)

Who is hosting and who is heading on a trip?

Bombers will be making our way to WOODSTOCK, ILLINOIS for a week 3 matchup on a 1 year deal.   School of I think around 1200 students, they finished 4th in their conference last year, pretty good conference it looks like.  Conf Champ, Morris, they went to class 5a elite 8 before losing to Joliet Catholic.  Their 2nd and 3rd place finishers in conference, each won a game in playoffs before losing the next round.  Should be a fun little trip for us.   

Last time we dipped into Illinois, was the year after Delphi left Hoosier Conference, 2017, played Champaign Central.  Fun to see a complete random school and experience what their Friday Night Lights were like, for instance, man they had one LARGE and ROWDY Band.  So fun.  They just got after it all game long.   Bombers won 42-14 that night and I will also say, a take away that my Referee pals here would appreciate, I want to say we were in year 2 of the 40 sec clock pilot, maybe year 1, in 2017, either way, we had gotten used to 40 sec clock, Illinois was 25 sec, WOW, what a difference, hard pass on ever going back to 25 secs. 

• Gibson Southern will host Mount Carmel IL the IL 2023 3A state runner up Aces August 30th.
  • Gibson Southern will host South Warren KY the KY 5A power house Spartans on September 13th.

image.png.aec9f4ad632354ecd41717885f1a21d8.png

Edited by Titan32
  • Like 2

There is only one Illinois high school football field worth visiting/playing a game on and that is Fleur De Lis Field in Greenfield, Illinois.  Home of the Greenfield-NW Tigers.  High school football perfection:

FleurDeLisField.jpg

FleurDeLisField.2jpg.jpg

As this article states:

There are a few modern football facilities across central Illinois but then there is the uniqueness of the home field at Greenfield, now a co-op with Palmyra Northwestern.  

The first thing I remember about the field is the hillside terrace seating, which rises above the football field just to the west. Fans mostly sit on the grassy hill which has approximately five seating levels cut out into it. The team takes the field by descending the stairs to the delight of the fans. 

To the east of the field is the tree-lined Rubicon Creek. While the press box is tiny, I remember there was some good food to be found there for game workers and such. After I had a bite to eat, reporters could either walk the field during the game or stand on the scaffolding just below the press box.  

• Like 1

Looks like CG travels to the Commonwealth of KY to take on the Louisville Trinity team, last years KY 6A state champ.  They play Trotwood (OH) and St Francis Academy (Maryland) but I believe both of those games are at home.

5 of the teams they play were ranked in the top 300 HSFA rankings in 2023.  

Edited by Bash Riprock

On 3/5/2024 at 8:27 AM, Muda69 said:

There is only one Illinois high school football field worth visiting/playing a game on and that is Fleur De Lis Field in Greenfield, Illinois.  Home of the Greenfield-NW Tigers.  High school football perfection:

FleurDeLisField.jpg

FleurDeLisField.2jpg.jpg

As this article states:

Looks like a cross between Field of Dreams and Deliverance.

• Haha 3

In the 219 I know we have....

Lake Central at Providence Catholic (IL) Week 2 (3rd meeting, 16-14 Final in 2022 and 28-21 in 2022, Deep mid-class playoff runs for the Celtics in IL the last 2 seasons)

Arizona College Prep at Crown Point Week 2 (1st Meeting, Seem to be a good team by Arizona standards? We shall see!)

Hammond Central at TF South Week 2 (Hammond Central Won 33-6 Last Season)

Byron Central (Michigan) at Hammond Morton Week 4 (1st Meeting, BC finished tied for 1st in the Ottawa-Kent Conference - White Division, a tough conference in Michigan)

Hammond Central at Andrews (IL) Week 6 (1st Meeting, 3-6 season last year for the Thunderbolts)

• Like 1

Hearing on Yappi that Ohio small school power Marion Local (close to here) will make the long trip to Linton Stockton in week 1.

42 minutes ago, Basementbias said:

Hearing on Yappi that Ohio small school power Marion Local (close to here) will make the long trip to Linton Stockton in week 1.

Wow! I may have to finagle my first trip to Linton.

• 3 weeks later...

IMGA National is looking for an opponent to round out its schedule.  We had a great experience last year at BD.  Open dates are 9/12, 10/11 or 10/18.  Obviously, we would travel and opponent gets gate/streaming rights.  Let me know if anyone is interested.  Before anyone responds, we will not recruit your players.  

matt.lane@imgacademy.com