Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Bears 2024

Muda69

22 hours ago, Boilernation said:

The combo of Ryan Poles as GM and Kevin Warren as President of the Bears have drafted the same amount of QB's for the Bears as you and I have: ZERO. 

Poles was promoted within the Kansas City Chief's organization everytime a new GM was brought in. Warren built the Vikings new stadium before running the Big Ten. I have faith in both of them that they are nothing like the old regime (aka. CPA Ted Phillips and whichever McCaskey son you want to name)

Love your faith....I just tend to look at historical trends.....its been a while since the organization has knocked it out of the park with a QB.

Hey, I am a big Cubs fan....perhaps this is the year.  

5 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

Love your faith....I just tend to look at historical trends.....its been a while since the organization has knocked it out of the park with a QB.

Hey, I am a big Cubs fan....perhaps this is the year.  

Before Warren, the President of the Bears was Ted Phillips. From a football standpoint, you and I had the same qualifications for the job as he did. 24 years and 6 playoff berths later the Bears realized that promoting the CFO who had no football knowledge and was a career Accountant to President of football operatiosn wasn't the wisest of decisions. 

On 3/23/2024 at 4:08 PM, Boilernation said:

Before Warren, the President of the Bears was Ted Phillips. From a football standpoint, you and I had the same qualifications for the job as he did. 24 years and 6 playoff berths later the Bears realized that promoting the CFO who had no football knowledge and was a career Accountant to President of football operatiosn wasn't the wisest of decisions. 

I am an older guy....I am thinking well before 1999 when he took over the helm.  Unless one believes Bob Avellini was an all pro....  😉  Jim McMahon was the last Bears QB I've been excited about, and I wouldn't have called him great.

Awesome you have your faith in Caleb Williams.  The way I saw him perform in big games this season, including crying to his parents in a big game that went bad for him, doesn't have me full of confidence.  But, I have been wrong plenty of times...may be pleasantly surprised.  

5 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

I am an older guy....I am thinking well before 1999 when he took over the helm.  Unless one believes Bob Avellini was an all pro....  😉  Jim McMahon was the last Bears QB I've been excited about, and I wouldn't have called him great.

Awesome you have your faith in Caleb Williams.  The way I saw him perform in big games this season, including crying to his parents in a big game that went bad for him, doesn't have me full of confidence.  But, I have been wrong plenty of times...may be pleasantly surprised.  

I have faith in Poles and Warren. For any knock we can find in Williams we can also find issues with Daniels, Penix, Maye, etc. None of these guys are perfect. I can remember a time when people thought the Colts should take Leaf because Peyton could never beat Florida and lead Tennessee to a National Title.

3 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

I have faith in Poles and Warren. For any knock we can find in Williams we can also find issues with Daniels, Penix, Maye, etc. None of these guys are perfect. I can remember a time when people thought the Colts should take Leaf because Peyton could never beat Florida and lead Tennessee to a National Title.

fair statement.....

4 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

fair statement.....

Who knows as one angy Chicago radio caller just said, Caleb could be the Black Baker Mayfield. My fear on this miss doesn't come from Daniels or Maye. Between those 2, I would take Maye. Here's me being picky: I don't like how smiley Daniel's is when losing. And I think he's benefitted greatly from Brian Kelley's offense and the WR's he has. Maybe I'm wrong and he's like Burrow was and is playing at an NFL level himself with NFL WR's. 

My fear is McCarthy becomes the best QB in this draft. He just strikes me as a Tom Brady guy that can lead a team of men, get excellence from his teammates and never be afraid of a challenge. I rewatched that Rose Bowl game during some down time over the weekend. That kid is loved by his teammates.

Edited by Boilernation
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Boilernation said:

Who knows as one angy Chicago radio caller just said, Caleb could be the Black Baker Mayfield. My fear on this miss doesn't come from Daniels or Maye. Between those 2, I would take Maye. Here's me being picky: I don't like how smiley Daniel's is when losing. And I think he's benefitted greatly from Brian Kelley's offense and the WR's he has. Maybe I'm wrong and he's like Burrow was and is playing at an NFL level himself with NFL WR's. 

My fear is McCarthy becomes the best QB in this draft. He just strikes me as a Tom Brady guy that can lead a team of men, get excellence from his teammates and never be afraid of a challenge. I rewatched that Rose Bowl game during some down time over the weekend. That kid is loved by his teammates.

Its a real tough call with these QB's.  I agree that McCarthy seems like the best overall leader.  Guess we shall see about his passing skills.  I like Daniels and Williams athleticism...don't know enough about accuracy...it would seem Williams is pretty accurate, and can make all the throws.  I really don't know much about Maye...seems like a solid leader and has the passing skills...but just not sure.  I really like Penix for release, accuracy, leadership, etc.  His hand size is incredible....but his injury history has to be a red flag. 

Definitely strong arm needed in the Lake Michigan cold wind.....

18 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Like to think not, but also would think Bears draft board also had CW right on top just like everyone has had for last 2 years.  

Agreed. Everything I heard is the Bears were sold on him from a physical standpoint a long time ago. They've spent most of their time vetting who he is as a person. 

On 3/26/2024 at 11:22 AM, Bash Riprock said:

Its a real tough call with these QB's.  I agree that McCarthy seems like the best overall leader.  Guess we shall see about his passing skills.  I like Daniels and Williams athleticism...don't know enough about accuracy...it would seem Williams is pretty accurate, and can make all the throws.  I really don't know much about Maye...seems like a solid leader and has the passing skills...but just not sure.  I really like Penix for release, accuracy, leadership, etc.  His hand size is incredible....but his injury history has to be a red flag. 

Definitely strong arm needed in the Lake Michigan cold wind.....

Complimenting a Michigan player?  

Whoa.

I guess it’s easy to lead/win games when you have the other teams’ signs.

31 minutes ago, temptation said:

Complimenting a Michigan player?  

Whoa.

I guess it’s easy to lead/win games when you have the other teams’ signs.

Never said he wasn't a good leader.  

Yeah...his coaches cheated...that's on them, not him.  

Way not to disappoint with the expected jacka$$ery comments.....

• Haha 1

On 3/25/2024 at 4:20 PM, Boilernation said:

McCarthy strikes me more like the guy a GM drafts and gets fired over a couple years later. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see it. Game manager at best imo, and there's nothing wrong with that, but Cam Newton was right when he said teams are looking to draft the next Lamar, Allen or Mahomes, not the next Tua, Dak, or Goff. 

7 hours ago, Boilernation said:

This class being QB heavy in the Top 5 worked out well for the Bears. I would hope they take Ault if he's still there at 9, but that's highly unlikely. Still, could be left choosing between Odunze or Verse.

Alt is probably gone by 9 but would be nice, even if Jones and Wright are solid. I think Odunze would be great as imo he would fit nicely with their current group of receivers as a big-bodied possession type. I also still think DE should be on the table as they need someone to pair with Sweat. Trading down shouldn't be out of the question either if their top guys are already off the board, pairing Bowers with Kmet in that scenario would be interesting. The good thing is they've got many different options and routes to go with that pick.