Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2024 Turf and Beyond

5 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

Do you think Administrators seek out GID as a viable source to help them with decision-making?  That was my point.  

If they do, well, I just learned something.

I'm not sure if they do or don't. All I know is that this forum gets a hell of a lot more views than what's coming from just the members. I think the GID offers a lot of good information and insight on important topics. Enough so that I think you'd be surprised at who really views many of these threads. I'm willing to bet that 90% of all head coaches check in, at least on occasion, to see what's being discussed. If that's the case wouldn't some administrators be curious once in awhile as well? Maybe I'm giving the GID too much credit, but I doubt it. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, BTF said:

I'm not sure if they do or don't. All I know is that this forum gets a hell of a lot more views than what's coming from just the members. I think the GID offers a lot of good information and insight on important topics. Enough so that I think you'd be surprised at who really views many of these threads. I'm willing to bet that 90% of all head coaches check in, at least on occasion, to see what's being discussed. If that's the case wouldn't some administrators be curious once in awhile as well? Maybe I'm giving the GID too much credit, but I doubt it. 

Perhaps....I have pretty certain in the case of CG, administration didn't seek individual's opinions on turf fields on GID before deciding on turf for football, soccer, baseball, etc.  They certainly would have done their research, but just don't think they consider opinions of fans on GID.  But, perhaps they are in the minority......

Now, do coaches visit GID and share opinions of various members?  I can get my arms around that.....

31 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Perhaps....I have pretty certain in the case of CG, administration didn't seek individual's opinions on turf fields on GID before deciding on turf for football, soccer, baseball, etc.  They certainly would have done their research, but just don't think they consider opinions of fans on GID.  But, perhaps they are in the minority......

Now, do coaches visit GID and share opinions of various members?  I can get my arms around that.....

I would hope they don't. I think turf fields are less about common opinion and more about dollars and sense. I'll advocate for turf fields all day. I think studies show that they are more cost effective in the long run? And even if they aren't, I think it's a service to young people to give them turf instead of mud. It isn't just about high school football. You have youth football, the occasional middle school game, the band, track and field, and maybe soccer..............other countless activities as well. 

20 minutes ago, BTF said:

I would hope they don't. I think turf fields are less about common opinion and more about dollars and sense. I'll advocate for turf fields all day. I think studies show that they are more cost effective in the long run? And even if they aren't, I think it's a service to young people to give them turf instead of mud. It isn't just about high school football. You have youth football, the occasional middle school game, the band, track and field, and maybe soccer..............other countless activities as well. 

Yeah, myself and my fellow student athletes were scarred for life having to play on muddy football fields.   And the trauma inflicted on the marching band was just..... well it was bad.  

But hey the student manager who had to wash all those muddy uniforms on a Saturday morning ended up turning the experience into moola, he now runs a successful dry cleaning business.

Edited by Muda69

8 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Yeah, myself and my fellow student athletes were scarred for life having to play on muddy football fields.   And the trauma inflicted on the marching band was just..... well it was bad.  

But hey the student manager who had to wash all those muddy uniforms on a Saturday morning ended up turning the experience into moola, he now runs a successful dry cleaning business.

You're fighting a losing battle. That's not an opinion. Might want to focus your energy elsewhere. 

5 hours ago, BTF said:

You're fighting a losing battle. That's not an opinion. Might want to focus your energy elsewhere. 

Thank you for your sage advice, but I choose to continue the fight.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, btownqbcoach1 said:

He's always so confused lol 

There's no fight.  Turf won.  

Very rarely will I encourage someone to discontinue their fight, but this fight really isn't going anywhere. Best to move on.  I'm all in for top notch high school facilities. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BTF said:

Very rarely will I encourage someone to discontinue their fight, but this fight really isn't going anywhere. Best to move on.  I'm all in for top notch high school facilities. 

The fight isn't won until 100% of government high schools in the state of Indiana  have splurged on extravagant artificial turf fields.

At what cost "top notch" high school facilities?   

21 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

The fight isn't won until 100% of government high schools in the state of Indiana  have splurged on extravagant artificial turf fields.

At what cost "top notch" high school facilities?   

I'm not an opponent of taxes as long as the system isn't being abused. Handing money over to illegal aliens as they cross the border would be an example of abuse. Sending money overseas to Ukraine without the rest of the UN providing their fair share is just plain disrespect for taxpayers money. I wouldn't call improving your local high school facilities a "mismanagement of funds." In short, maybe if you received more of a tax cut at the federal end, you'd be less concerned at the local end. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BTF said:

I wouldn't call improving your local high school facilities a "mismanagement of funds." In short, maybe if you received more of a tax cut at the federal end, you'd be less concerned at the local end. 

So you believe in the "government high school as the Taj Mahal" concept.  Got it.   

And nice try at obfuscating the local issue with federal government immigration and foreign policy.  I would be happy to talk to you about those federal policy issues, but please start a thread in the OOB forum.

16 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

So you believe in the "government high school as the Taj Mahal" concept.  Got it.   

And nice try at obfuscating the local issue with federal government immigration and foreign policy.  I would be happy to talk to you about those federal policy issues, but please start a thread in the OOB forum.

Not speaking for @BTF, but I think you are oversimplifying his comment.  I believe BTF is implying that taxes at a local level impact you at a much more personal level than federal taxes. I think most can agree that taxes are a waste of money, but I would rather pay more money to local taxes than federal taxes.  Big, bloated government taxes/spending at a federal level hurt everyone.  

Also, I think this thread was made to discuss which schools currently have turf and which schools do not have turf.  @btownqbcoach1 saw the future, when he posted "I am sure some will take this thread as an opportunity to try and discredit/get butthurt about turf... but... meh." Boy, was he right....Maybe you should start your own thread "TURF SUCKS, SOD RULES"

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Is this what your hatred is really about?  Because you didn't get to play on it, you feel kids today shouldn't?

I believe in wanting BETTER for kids today than what I had it.  Turf solves a lot of problems for some schools.

Take Sheridan.  By adding turf, not only does our football program get a top-notch field to play on, but the soccer games can all be moved to the turf as well.  For the past forever, they have been playing soccer on a very outdated soccer field that is off-campus, raising concerns for student and fan safety.  The old soccer field will now be town property, where the plan is to build a new larger capacity salt barn, which obviously benefits the community.  Also, the band will get to utilize the new turf.  Moving their practices from the blacktop parking lot where they have been since before the 00s, to a safer (and cooler) turf field.

Are some schools changing to turf just to spend extravagantly?  Sure.  However, to assume that EVERY school is doing that, is naive and ignorant.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Daniel_Bragg said:

Is this what your hatred is really about?  Because you didn't get to play on it, you feel kids today shouldn't?

No, that not is what my disagreement concerning turf fields is about.  Again, please search my previous posts in this thread and others if you want to read my arguments against turf fields at the K-12 level.   

22 minutes ago, Cloudy14 said:

Not speaking for @BTF, but I think you are oversimplifying his comment. 

Much as the dogpiling in this thread is oversimplifying my arguments against artificial turf.

24 minutes ago, Cloudy14 said:

I believe BTF is implying that taxes at a local level impact you at a much more personal level than federal taxes.

Agreed. Government is generally more effective the more local it is.  And it can be just and wasteful and corrupt as on the state or federal level.

25 minutes ago, Cloudy14 said:

I think most can agree that taxes are a waste of money, but I would rather pay more money to local taxes than federal taxes.  

Taxes are legalized theft against the individual.  https://mises.org/mises-wire/yes-taxation-theft

28 minutes ago, Cloudy14 said:

Maybe you should start your own thread "TURF SUCKS, SOD RULES"

Nah, this thread and other will do just fine, thank you.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BTF said:

He's a troll. There is nothing else to this. In every one of these threads, he spouts his crap, has no substance to his argument, and does it condescendingly. Unfortunately, the mods have continued to allow him to post here. 

This is an Indiana HS football forum. He acts like it's a forum for him to voice his displeasure about aspects of society. Confused he is, it ruins the board. 

36 minutes ago, Cloudy14 said:

Not speaking for @BTF, but I think you are oversimplifying his comment.  I believe BTF is implying that taxes at a local level impact you at a much more personal level than federal taxes. I think most can agree that taxes are a waste of money, but I would rather pay more money to local taxes than federal taxes.  Big, bloated government taxes/spending at a federal level hurt everyone.  

Also, I think this thread was made to discuss which schools currently have turf and which schools do not have turf.  @btownqbcoach1 saw the future, when he posted "I am sure some will take this thread as an opportunity to try and discredit/get butthurt about turf... but... meh." Boy, was he right....Maybe you should start your own thread "TURF SUCKS, SOD RULES"

It never stops. There is just too much "troll" in there to be respectful and take this "discussion" (I guess that's what you would call it) somewhere else. This isn't a "local government" forum lol ... I've asked him multiple times to start his own threads/discussions on whatever topic he'd like, but he isn't respectful enough for that, so here we are..... every day, with Muda as the center of attention. It's honestly embarrassing lol ... place could be a lot more fun. 

34 minutes ago, Daniel_Bragg said:

I believe in wanting BETTER for kids today than what I had it.  Turf solves a lot of problems for some schools.

Take Sheridan.  By adding turf, not only does our football program get a top-notch field to play on, but the soccer games can all be moved to the turf as well.  For the past forever, they have been playing soccer on a very outdated soccer field that is off-campus, raising concerns for student and fan safety.  The old soccer field will now be town property, where the plan is to build a new larger capacity salt barn, which obviously benefits the community.  Also, the band will get to utilize the new turf.  Moving their practices from the blacktop parking lot where they have been since before the 00s, to a safer (and cooler) turf field.

Are some schools changing to turf just to spend extravagantly?  Sure.  However, to assume that EVERY school is doing that, is naive and ignorant.

Yeah just go research his others posts in this thread lolololol 🤪

Edited by btownqbcoach1
  • Like 1

On 1/23/2024 at 10:58 AM, btownqbcoach1 said:

Salem just approved turf for this coming school year. Has anyone else? Is there a Castle/Boonville update? 

In 2023- Greensburg, Franklin Co, Purdue Poly, Attucks and maybe others added it last year. 

Here is the breakdown of where the state currently is.. (or VERY close)

155/313= 49.5% currently have turf

149/313= 47.6% currently do not have tuf

couple of others don't have their own field/not sure where Tindley plays. 

image.thumb.png.d81398a7237d48b82cf7d382b6238bca.png 

image.thumb.png.10a04b73c1509d9d6fe75d558294c955.png 

image.thumb.png.2296927fe37f4ba04e3e11e1fdca597b.png

image.thumb.png.78f884567f48589241db58ce145854e6.png

image.thumb.png.c98e344eb307f73741eef765b3eca614.png

I am sure some will take this thread as an opportunity to try and discredit/get butthurt about turf... but... meh. 

image.png

I believe Clarksville will be installing turf this summer. 

I think it's bad enough that the majority of football fans will drop big dollars to support a university two hours away that they have no ties with or a professional team whom they know no one personally on the team or reap any of the rewards of the teams success. Yet there's good sports in their own backyard. It's just as entertaining, costs less money, and the ticket sales are going to your LOCAL COMMUNITY. These high school kids, more than not, are the ones who'll keep the community going for decades to come. Athletics can teach a kid as much on the field as he/she'd learn in the classroom. There are other places to skimp and save money, our high schools are not one of them.

Somehow it's ok to support the $3,000,000 jumbotron two hours away, but a $600,000 turf field in your own backyard is unjustified. It's bad enough that 50% of our kids come from homes where the parents are absentee. Why not give them the best high school experience that we can?

1 minute ago, qbcoach13 said:

HECK YEAH! I hope like heck you guys can build that program back into a power. 

When I was a SO, 2006, you guys were awesome. Respectfully, the field and stadium need upgrades. Also.. you guys have the BEST burgers. 

17 minutes ago, qbcoach13 said:

In the 70s, 80s, and early 90s... Clarksville was an absolute power. 

Also.. I couldn't tackle Ryan Masters to save my life. He made sophomore looks stuuupid twice. 

53 minutes ago, btownqbcoach1 said:

He's a troll. There is nothing else to this. In every one of these threads, he spouts his crap, has no substance to his argument, and does it condescendingly. Unfortunately, the mods have continued to allow him to post here. 

You are wrong, and you know it.  I have posted substantive arguments to my position in the past, on this particular forum thread and others.  It is not my fault if you are too lazy or afraid to look them up and read them.

I wonder who is really the one trolling here? 

29 minutes ago, BTF said:

Somehow it's ok to support the $3,000,000 jumbotron two hours away, but a $600,000 turf field in your own backyard is unjustified. 

I don't recall a $3,000,00 jumbotron at a college/university being paid for with taxpayer funds.  Are my local property taxes not enough to properly fund the local government schools, to support it's primary mission?

14 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

I don't recall a $3,000,00 jumbotron at a college/university being paid for with taxpayer funds.  Are my local property taxes not enough to properly fund the local government schools, to support it's primary mission?

I do find humor in a comment you made in the past, about textbooks.  The vast majority of schools are using funds to pay for these fields out of funding that cannot legally go toward salaries, textbooks, etc.  These are called capital projects.  The funding source of which is made up of property taxes.  Rooftops to put it another way.  Funding for salaries, textbooks, etc. comes from the state on a per student basis.  This is why some schools are forced to utilize referendums.  As with all governmental entities, all incoming money isn't just thrown into one massive pot and pulled from to pay whatever bill you desire.  I think you would greatly enjoy searching through the Indiana Gateway.  Go through some of these school districts financial forms, and see where the money is being allocated and going toward.  I don't think you are a troll.  However, I do believe your vitriol for this might be coming from a place of lack of education on the source material.

19 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

It's being paid for by the ticket prices that are ten times that of a high school game. That's my point. It's ok to drop $500 to take your family to a Colts or Notre Dame game, but when a small portion of your taxes go toward a turf field right down the street, some get all bent out of shape.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BTF said:

It's being paid for by the ticket prices that are ten times that of a high school game. That's my point. It's ok to drop $500 to take your family to a Colts or Notre Dame game, but when a small portion of your taxes go toward a turf field right down the street, some get all bent out of shape.

I’ve long stated, if you’re a sports fan, I can drive within an hour of my house on any given Friday night and see a quality athletic event for 5-6-7 bucks whatever it costs to get in. You can not beat that entertainment value anywhere. And I’ll never get my panties in a wad investing in our youth. You want to talk about property taxes, let’s examine why every cop in the state is driving a new SUV, why local police forces need APC’s, and all the high tech gadgetry that they do to basically enforce traffic laws and bust high school drinking parties. 

• Like 3