• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/28/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romaine Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer  Warsaw:  Phil Jenson Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner New Haven  Jim Rowland S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak  Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street
Sign in to follow this  
Footballking16

Kevin Wilson

9 minutes ago, komets3001 said:

Look, the deal is easy to see. Wilson could get fired for just cause and not collect one penny of his guaranteed 6 year contract and let everyone know of the misdeeds that occurred or he could "resign" and get one years severance pay.   Again, the apologists will have you believe that Wilson left on his own accord, that could not be further from the truth. Wilson was terrible and with potential lawsuits laying at the doorstep of Indiana he was forced out. The biggest clue for all you Wilson fans out there should be that NOBODY will be pounding at his door with a head coach job anytime soon. 

Again, what Glass gave everyone was the sugarcoated version. There is plenty of dirt that will eventually come out....

You're putting words in people's mouths. I haven't seen one person on here defend or try to justify the actions that led to Wilson's dismissal. Not one. I will defend however, the idea that Wilson was forced out due to on-field success, as one person had insinuated. 

Clearly something more troubling happened other than wins and losses. And from everything I've heard, IU was in the right to force their hand and I support that decision 100%, to the moon and back. You can hint at the fact or call me a Wilson apologist all you want, but you have yet to see, nor will you ever see me defend the off-field actions of Kevin Wilson. I hope that is loud and clear.

Maybe the new regime will stop trying to be a red-headed step child of Oregon in the uniform department too.

Oregon was original.  These schools like IU and Maryland are far from original.  Just trying too hard to be different and most of the time, they look stupid. 

Hopefully Wilson takes all of his silly identity-mystifying helmets with him in the settlement.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

You're putting words in people's mouths. I haven't seen one person on here defend or try to justify the actions that led to Wilson's dismissal. Not one. I will defend however, the idea that Wilson was forced out due to on-field success, as one person had insinuated. 

Clearly something more troubling happened other than wins and losses. And from everything I've heard, IU was in the right to force their hand and I support that decision 100%, to the moon and back. You can hint at the fact or call me a Wilson apologist all you want, but you have yet to see, nor will you ever see me defend the off-field actions of Kevin Wilson. I hope that is loud and clear.

His "on field success" was a 27-46 record so I would be careful to say the only reason  he "resigned" was due to off field actions. The administration realized their mistake in extending his contract during the past year and the underachievement of this year's team certainly played a part in this decision. 

5 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

There's zero percent chance this was success related. What AD gives a coach a 6 yr/$13 mil raise and fires him the next year for going to back to back bowl games for the first time in 25 years and who beats their rivals for the 4th consecutive year for the first time in 70 year? Not to mention he had a $12 mil buyout had he been fired.

Something obviously happened and/or someone was theatening to sue or go public with information that could potential be damning to IU if Wilson was still on staff. Wilson wasn't fired, he resigned thus didn't receive his $12 mil buyout. 

I will call you out on this statement. There is a 100% chance that on field success factored into this decision. 

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, komets3001 said:

His "on field success" was a 27-46 record so I would be careful to say the only reason  he "resigned" was due to off field actions. The administration realized their mistake in extending his contract during the past year and the underachievement of this year's team certainly played a part in this decision. 

I will call you out on this statement. There is a 100% chance that on field success factored into this decision. 

No it did not. Fred Glass verbatim said, "has nothing to do with on-field success". You say IU had justifiable cause to fire Wilson. News for you, performance is NOT justifiable cause and had IU really parted ways for that reason, Wilson is walking away $12mil richer.

Seriously, use your head. What coach would agree to resign over W-L record knowing he wouldn't get his buyout? That's like Darrell Hazell saying, "I know I stink, but I'm going to resign so Purdue doesn't have to pay me".

Kevin Wilson did something off the field that he nor Indiana University want you or I or the rest of the world to know. He agreed to resign so that wouldn't leak and IU wouldn't have been forced to explain to us why they fired him.

This isn't really something hard to get.

• Upvote 2

From an X's and O's standpoint I don't see this having much negative impact at all on the team next year. Obviously, recruiting will take a hit and you might lose some players to transfer but I would imagine the defense will remain intact with how much they appear to appreciate TA. I would also think that the offense would have faired better this year, and definitely next year, in more of a pro-style offense where the running game was utilized more and Lagow wasn't expected to be Nate Sudfeld.

58 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

No it did not. Fred Glass verbatim said, "has nothing to do with on-field success". You say IU had justifiable cause to fire Wilson. News for you, performance is NOT justifiable cause and had IU really parted ways for that reason, Wilson is walking away $12mil richer.

Seriously, use your head. What coach would agree to resign over W-L record knowing he wouldn't get his buyout? That's like Darrell Hazell saying, "I know I stink, but I'm going to resign so Purdue doesn't have to pay me".

Kevin Wilson did something off the field that he nor Indiana University want you or I or the rest of the world to know. He agreed to resign so that wouldn't leak and IU wouldn't have been forced to explain to us why they fired him.

This isn't really something hard to get.

Unless you know someone close to the situation at IU, then you really don't know do you? I will leave it at that... if you believe everything you read and heard in that press conference then let me add that there is beachfront property available in downtown Indianapolis where it is sunny and 85 degrees year around....

Edited by komets3001

ESPN reporting this morning that several unnamed players were interviewed within the last several weeks by University officials about alleged mistreatment of players, including injured players.

2 minutes ago, bobref said:

ESPN reporting this morning that several unnamed players were interviewed within the last several weeks by University officials about alleged mistreatment of players, including injured players.

True and Diamont vehemently denied that he had been interviewed. Another player, a d fensive end that played from 2011-2014 was very vocal about Wilson's mistreatment. The rabbit hole  will continue to get bigger

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, komets3001 said:

Unless you know someone close to the situation at IU, then you really don't know do you? I will leave it at that...

I don't have to be close to the situation to know how to read between the lines. There is absolutely zero coincidence that on the day ESPN reported the university had conducted interviews with current and former players about player mistreatment as well as heard testimony from a former players father that Wilson rushed his son back from a concussion that Wilson resigned. Zero coincidence.

Fred Glass did not wake up yesterday morning and decide it was time to "force" Wilson to resign because of on-field performance. No chance. Wilson would have never been given a new contract in the first place if his on-field performance was in doubt. Wilson did something that could potentially bring a lawsuit and/or sanctions to the football program and Glass hand was forced.

Edited by Footballking16

Is Fred Glass the absolute worst public speaker that anyone has ever heard?  While it's nice to see Allen getting his shot at being a head coach, I don't think he'll be there for more than a year or two.  And he was at Ole Miss for 4 years before he came to IU.  Someone mentioned he had only been a DC for 2 years.  So IU hires an offensive coordinator as head coach and now has replaced him with a defensive coordinator.  Maybe some day they will actually hire a head coach.  My son and I watched the presser.  My son made the comment that Allen looked like someone who had just stepped out of a 1950's movie.  LOL  If ESPN said it was raining, I'd go look out the window.  Besides, ESPN wants any other conference to look bad so they can continue to prop up their kiddies in the SEC.

Edited by itiswhatitis

Just now, itiswhatitis said:

Is Fred Glass the absolute worst public speaker that anyone has ever heard?  While it's nice to see Allen getting his shot at being a head coach, I don't think he'll be there for more than a year or two.  And he was at Ole Miss for 4 years before he came to IU.  Someone mentioned he had only been a DC for 2 years.  So IU hires and offensive coordinator and now has replaced him with a defensive coordinator.  Maybe some day they will actually hire a head coach.  My son and I watched the presser.  My son made the comment that Allen looked like someone who had just stepped out of a 1950's movie.  LOL  If ESPN said it was raining, I'd go look out the window.  Besides, ESPN wants any other conference to look bad so they can continue to prop up their kiddies in the SEC.

Who would they get? I don't see anyway they could land Les Miles or PJ Fleck and that doesn't leave much. Maybe Helfrich or Charlie Strong? I don't see either being a good fit at IU. The D-Coordinator from Wisconsin is a trending name, but that wouldn't be much difference from Allen. If Arkansas dumps Bret Bielema I would be all for going after him, but I don't think that will happen. Brian Kelly is a huge no IMO lol

I agree that Allen isn't a perfect fit, but with the improvement he made in the defense this year I think he had to be the pick. At least for now going into the bowl game and for next year. If he can find the right guy to run the offense I think everything will be fine, maybe even better next year. Allen should be able to recruit the in-state talent that IU wants, especially with the current state of the other programs in Indiana.

4 minutes ago, FishDuck said:

Who would they get? I don't see anyway they could land Les Miles or PJ Fleck and that doesn't leave much. Maybe Helfrich or Charlie Strong? I don't see either being a good fit at IU. The D-Coordinator from Wisconsin is a trending name, but that wouldn't be much difference from Allen. If Arkansas dumps Bret Bielema I would be all for going after him, but I don't think that will happen. Brian Kelly is a huge no IMO lol

I agree that Allen isn't a perfect fit, but with the improvement he made in the defense this year I think he had to be the pick. At least for now going into the bowl game and for next year. If he can find the right guy to run the offense I think everything will be fine, maybe even better next year. Allen should be able to recruit the in-state talent that IU wants, especially with the current state of the other programs in Indiana.

There is a middle ground between Les Miles and someone who has never been a head coach before. Of course, it involves picking an existing head coach from a non-Power 5 school, or even reaching down to the FCS ranks, a la Brian Kelly and the Univ. of Cincinnati years ago. A lot of people feel that being a head coach requires a much different skill set than being a successful coordinator. If that's true, it makes sense to look for a head coach among the ranks of people who have already demonstrated they have that skill set.

15 minutes ago, FishDuck said:

You'll get no argument from me about what Allen has done for the defense.  It is miles ahead of the past few years.  We don't know which head coaches will be available in the next couple of years or what the situation at IU will be like.  For now, Allen is just the "band aid".  After the presser I felt like:  You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time.  I hope Allen doesn't wait 5 years to find an offensive coordinator like Wilson did with finding the defensive coordinator.  Allen said he was in a home the night before, recruiting.  He also said he was supposed to be in another one but had the presser.  He also said the rest of his staff was out recruiting.  I loved the comment he made about recruiting in-state.  Hopefully he can keep some of the 4 star Indiana kids at home and we'll see them at IU in the future.  I get sick of seeing kids jetting off to Michigan, Ohio State, Illinois, etc. and not playing college ball in Indiana.  Wilson must have been a really, really bad boy.  Something is rotten in Denmark, and it ain't the cheese.

Edited by itiswhatitis

First off, I'm very excited to see Tom Allen lead this team. After going to my first IU football game this year, his energy stood out amongst the coaches, and even the players. With that being sad, I'm also sad to see Kevin Wilson go. I can see both sides of this situation. Some former players are saying he treated them badly while injured, while others are saying he was "old school" and just wanted to bring the toughness out in players. Personally, I believe people have become too soft. One report said he rip off a players helmet, spit on his jersey, and punched him in the chest. I believe the punching in the chest took it too far, however, I can sense he was just trying to fire up his players. So all in all, Wilson led this team to some of the best years IU has had in recent memory. It's gonna be tough to see him go. But congrats Tom Allen.

To clarify, the player who tweeted he had ripped his helmet off was while he was at Oklahoma. The young man also was the one to use the term "old school" and said he appreciated all that Wilson had done for him. He seemed to be backtracking most of the time, because the question is why tweet in the first place and why wait until this moment to share that story? Wilson was at Oklahoma 7 seasons ago, so why now?

13 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

If what I read was correct, Wilson walked away from his $12mil buyout but a compromise was reached and he was awarded $540k which was the remainder of his salary for this year. That doesn't add up?

Reading between the lines, I'm guessing there was more to what has been reported and whatever potentially is out there could be damning to Wilson and/or IU. One has to wonder if Wilson resigned to save face for a potential job down the road. You just don't walk away from $12mil like that.

BINGO!!!   as Komet said, this rabbit hole will get bigger but the way it all went down was smart by Wilson, what ever evidence IU / Glass had to fire for cause was overwhelming to the point that he took 1 year salary and made it look graceful instead of fighting it, losing and having even more red flags 

14 hours ago, Irishman said:

The other thing that does not add up, is why resign? While Glass said there was no smoking gun, something does not add up. As I said, why resign, and then, why only agree to one year's salary to do so, when you are entitled to the remaining 5 years?

That alone tells us something....there is a stinking turd being buried.  As you and others have said...an AD doesn't give a 6 year extension a year ago, and then make the move.  Especially not after back to back bowls, and beating Purdue 4 years in a row.  When one brings in external counsel to help investigate, there was something of great concern.

7 minutes ago, Trojan Dad said:

That alone tells us something....there is a stinking turd being buried.  As you and others have said...an AD doesn't give a 6 year extension a year ago, and then make the move.  Especially not after back to back bowls, and beating Purdue 4 years in a row.  When one brings in external counsel to help investigate, there was something of great concern.

Exactly. But guys like Komet and Dude who have openly despised Wilson from Day 1 continue to cite his on-field performance for reasoning as to why he was forced out. This had absolutely zero to do with wins and losses, rather everything to do with mistreatment and negligence of his players. I 100% stand by IU's decision to force Wilson out because of the allegations being reported.

2 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Exactly. But guys like Komet and Dude who have openly despised Wilson from Day 1 continue to cite his on-field performance for reasoning as to why he was forced out. This had absolutely zero to do with wins and losses, rather everything to do with mistreatment and negligence of his players. I 100% stand by IU's decision to force Wilson out because of the allegations being reported.

When this occurred yesterday, I couldn't help from thinking of this classic SNL skit with Melissa McCarthy

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

To clarify, the player who tweeted he had ripped his helmet off was while he was at Oklahoma. The young man also was the one to use the term "old school" and said he appreciated all that Wilson had done for him. He seemed to be backtracking most of the time, because the question is why tweet in the first place and why wait until this moment to share that story? Wilson was at Oklahoma 7 seasons ago, so why now?

He clarified afterwards that he will forever be indebted to Wilson for what he did for him. Wilson seemed to just wanna get the most out of his guys. 

13 minutes ago, braaadly said:

He clarified afterwards that he will forever be indebted to Wilson for what he did for him. Wilson seemed to just wanna get the most out of his guys. 

It's definitely a different era today than what it used to be. What once could be construed as tough love/discipline is now verbal/physical abuse. Coaches like Bobby Knight and Bear Bryant wouldn't have a prayer in today's world. And it's not just limited to coaching either, it's from all authority figures. Paddles back in the day at school? You would be jailed if something like that happened today or fired at the very least. Not advocating it's right or wrong but figures of authority cannot instill discipline like they once could.

That being said, it does not excuse Wilson for forcing a player to play through a concussion. What I stated above is walking a thin line, that's one thing. But in this day in age with what we know about concussions and CTE, Wilson clearly over-stepped his boundary and must pay for his actions.

2 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

It's definitely a different era today than what it used to be. What once could be construed as tough love/discipline is now verbal/physical abuse. Coaches like Bobby Knight and Bear Bryant wouldn't have a prayer in today's world. And it's not just limited to coaching either, it's from all authority figures. Paddles back in the day at school? You would be jailed if something like that happened today or fired at the very least. Not advocating it's right or wrong but figures of authority cannot instill discipline like they once could.

That being said, it does not excuse Wilson for forcing a player to play through a concussion. What I stated above is walking a thin line, that's one thing. But in this day in age with what we know about concussions and CTE, Wilson clearly over-stepped his boundary and must pay for his actions.

I agree with the concussion aspect. However, a lot of former players have also vouched for Wilson, claiming he never put pressure on them to return early or even play through an injury. It just seems to be a mixed bag when dealing with his actions towards players with injuries. Even Zander Diamont (who is quitting football after this year) said Wilson wasn't the cause of this decision. I guess the only ones that know the 100% truth are the players and Wilson himself. 

22 minutes ago, braaadly said:

I agree with the concussion aspect. However, a lot of former players have also vouched for Wilson, claiming he never put pressure on them to return early or even play through an injury. It just seems to be a mixed bag when dealing with his actions towards players with injuries. Even Zander Diamont (who is quitting football after this year) said Wilson wasn't the cause of this decision. I guess the only ones that know the 100% truth are the players and Wilson himself. 

Going on what Glass said, I really think this has more to do with how practices were run day to day, and the type of motivation he used. I say that because Glass himself said Allen would be "demanding, not demeaning". I also agree with komets in that we are not hearing anything near the whole story, and that when presented with what Glass knew, Wilson cut his losses and took the buyout to save face.

The more and more I scroll through Twitter, the more and more support I see for Wilson from former and current players. Something definitely isn't adding up.