Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Seeding coming to IHSAA football tournament? A proposal for Class 6A is in the works.

26 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

FTFY. It's not that hard to spell, really.   

And the IHSAA putting those Indy area p/p's in that sectional is frankly stupid.

Probably shouldn't have even listed them in the first place. They weren't really on the level the other four schools were on.

31 minutes ago, tango said:

There were some funky groupings in several areas during the last cycle... HH and GS (2 PAC schools w/in 50 miles of each other) playing for a semi-state being an example...

And it was one of the most electric, coolest atmosphere's for a semi-state that I've been to. (And I've been to plenty of them) 

You seem obsessed with creating a southern "sectional of death" (you've mentioned it many times since the enrollment numbers have been given out) like it is some sort of badge of honor?? I say the more spread out (if possible) and the better possibility for deeper advancement leads to cooler atmosphere's like the one mentioned above. 

40 minutes ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

Probably shouldn't have even listed them in the first place. They weren't really on the level the other four schools were on.

No, they were not.  Especially Peru.   The Bengal Tigers rule.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jets said:

And it was one of the most electric, coolest atmosphere's for a semi-state that I've been to. (And I've been to plenty of them) 

You seem obsessed with creating a southern "sectional of death" (you've mentioned it many times since the enrollment numbers have been given out) like it is some sort of badge of honor?? I say the more spread out (if possible) and the better possibility for deeper advancement leads to cooler atmosphere's like the one mentioned above. 

It was, but from the schools' standpoint, having that game in Sectional would have been far more lucrative and the environment would have not changed. As a semi-state game each school received only 100 tickets worth of gate revenue. Instead, the IHSAA was the one who made the bank. Call it what you want, but a Sectional with tradition-rich schools like GS, HH, SR, & Ev. Memorial will offer some great games to watch and the schools will benefit financially and competitively. 

Edited by tango

23 minutes ago, tango said:

It was, but from the schools' standpoint, having that game in Sectional would have been far more lucrative and the environment would have not changed. As a semi-state game each school received only 100 tickets worth of gate revenue. Instead, the IHSAA was the one who made the bank. Call it what you want, but a Sectional with tradition-rich schools like GS, HH, SR, & Ev. Memorial will offer some great games to watch and the schools will benefit financially and competitively. 

And I can't remember now if MD is forecasted to be in 3A too or not. If they are, adding MD and Vincennes Lincoln would probably make it the best Sectional this area has seen in quite a while (in any class).   

29 minutes ago, tango said:

We got plenty of gate from the Vincennes sectional championship.  I agree with Jets...I'd rather see a couple of the four schools you mentioned in a Semi-State.  In terms of the HH game...the atmosphere could have been even better had there actually had been visitor seating...to many standing etc.  Many fans forced to sit on the home side that normally wouldn't have.....kinda feels shady to me.  I understand work was underway.....but common man!

Edited by Titan32

1 hour ago, tango said:

Ahh ok I see.....so it is all about the $$$$$$. 

36 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

We got plenty of gate from the Vincennes sectional championship.  I agree with Jets...I'd rather see a couple of the four schools you mentioned in a Semi-State.  In terms of the HH game...the atmosphere could have been even better had there actually had been visitor seating...to many standing etc.  Many fans forced to sit on the home side that normally wouldn't have.....kinda feels shady to me.  I understand work was underway.....but common man!

Someone check the gates of he#$% and make sure they haven't frozen over!! 

• Haha 2

Just curious as I am out of the loop on this topic, but how do other states do things when it comes to seeding?  What is the most popular method?

Is it solely by record in most cases?  All schedules are not created equal so would it incentivize a softer schedule for some schools?  How does schedule strength factor in?

1 hour ago, Titan32 said:

LOL. You would have gotten far more from a split of the HH game...

27 minutes ago, temptation said:

Just curious as I am out of the loop on this topic, but how do other states do things when it comes to seeding?  What is the most popular method?

Is it solely by record in most cases?  All schedules are not created equal so would it incentivize a softer schedule for some schools?  How does schedule strength factor in?

No real seeding in Texas.  Top four in a district get to play after the season is over ... everyone buys a ticket if they want to watch anymore football that year.  In 2A through 5A, the teams are pre-determined in Division I or II based on their district.  In 6A, the top two largest schools go in Division 1 and the bottom two go in Division II ... exception is 1A, 6-man, where there are only the top two teams per district that advance.  Each team then plays a "counterpart" in the next district in bi-district for first game of post-season based on division ... the two Division I teams in one district play the two teams in Division I from the next district.  It's basically the equivalent of regionals in Indiana for their first post-season game where you "represent" a grouping and play the "representative" of the next closest grouping.

Texas places teams in districts and it's all based on how you do against the district to get to the post season.  If I recall correctly, non-district doesn't count for or against in determining post-season eligibility.

56 minutes ago, jets said:

Ahh ok I see.....so it is all about the $$$$$$. 

Of course not. As I've said multiple times (obsessed in your words), those teams in the same Sectional would provide some great games for fans and great competition for the players. As to the financial side, maybe it isn't a concern to a public school, but maximizing gate receipts is an important revenue source for us. Personally, I'd rather see big games between schools in the same general area in the Sectional, not the Regional or Semi-State, because I'd like for the schools to reap the rewards of bringing thousands of fans instead of the IHSAA.

It almost sounds like you would prefer a Sectional that isn't competitive from top to bottom? What's the rationale for that?

58 minutes ago, tango said:

Of course not. As I've said multiple times (obsessed in your words), those teams in the same Sectional would provide some great games for fans and great competition for the players. As to the financial side, maybe it isn't a concern to a public school, but maximizing gate receipts is an important revenue source for us. Personally, I'd rather see big games between schools in the same general area in the Sectional, not the Regional or Semi-State, because I'd like for the schools to reap the rewards of bringing thousands of fans instead of the IHSAA.

It almost sounds like you would prefer a Sectional that isn't competitive from top to bottom? What's the rationale for that?

It was fantastic actually playing schools with the same advantages and disadvantages on our run.  I'm not sure the right word for adding P/Ps to the sectional is "competitive". 🙂  David vs Goliath is better more toward the end of the road.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, tango said:

In Southern Indiana (when talking PAC and SIAC) - I think our track record for postseason success speaks for itself and there is really nowhere to hide when it comes to where we, or any other team, is placed is sectionals. We'll strap it up and play regardless of where we are placed. 

What I do hope to avoid is the atrocity that was sectional 30 a few years ago - I do believe in being somewhat "competitively balanced" (when feasible) in sectional alignments. Meaning, I don't believe it is right/fair to "load" up one sectional with routinely top 10 teams and have another sectional of ...well not so on par programs. 

16 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

HH- GS is going to end up being like Brownstown- Lawrenceburg. 2016-17

Semi state one year, sectional semifinal the next. 

18 hours ago, tango said:

There's good and bad to the idea of big teams meeting in sectionals.  LCC and Pioneer have had their fair share of being #1 and #2 in the rankings over the years only to end each others seasons before regionals started.  With that said, there were some great crowds for those games and the schools got their shares of the gate.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2024 at 3:12 PM, temptation said:

A common approach is teams are placed into sections, sectional, districts by the state just like Indiana. Your schedule is largely determined by those categorizations plus whatever non-section games you play. You play everyone in your section/sectional/district and seeding is based on record within that group. The idea of conferences and long-term scheduling contracts don't exist. Certain teams qualify for the post-season based on the records with common opponents. There is either a section/sectional/district tournament or sections/sectionals/district play each other. For example, #1 in District A hosts #4 in District B and so forth. Teams still get to play their geographic rivals either because they are in their section/sectional/district or they schedule them directly. This is easier in sports that play more games, maybe a little more difficult in football with only 9 or 10 games.

On 4/2/2024 at 12:12 PM, temptation said:

Here is a good article summarizing how it's done here in Southern California:

Explaining the new Southern Section football playoff format - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)