Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Class 5A early preseason top 10??

I have been around region football since I was 5. Watching my brothers and now my sons grow up and play. We have always be fascinated with the talent level in the area. But I wanted to attempt to take a stab at 5A and see what you guys are 💭.

1. Decatur central (was state runner up)

2. Merrillville (north semis runner up)

3. Valpo (regional runner up to #2)

4. Bloomington south (semi runner up)

5. Whiteland (regional runner up) 

6. Lafayette Jefferson (down from 6A) 

7. East central (back to back state titles 4A)

8. Warsaw( down from 6A)

9. Bloomington north

10. Hammond Morton (multiple D1s back)

feel like some of these can be switched but I think the top 2 are perfect? What do you guys think. (Doing one for 3A shortly) 

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Footballmomma said:

I have been around region football since I was 5. Watching my brothers and now my sons grow up and play. We have always be fascinated with the talent level in the area. But I wanted to attempt to take a stab at 5A and see what you guys are 💭.

1. Decatur central (was state runner up)

2. Merrillville (north semis runner up)

3. Valpo (regional runner up to #2)

4. Bloomington south (semi runner up)

5. Whiteland (regional runner up) 

6. Lafayette Jefferson (down from 6A) 

7. East central (back to back state titles 4A)

8. Warsaw( down from 6A)

9. Bloomington north

10. Hammond Morton (multiple D1s back)

feel like some of these can be switched but I think the top 2 are perfect? What do you guys think. (Doing one for 3A shortly) 

I think Castle will be improved and should crack the top 10.  Maybe slotted in for Bloomington North around 9.  

East Central really intrigues me too.  I think they could have won 5A last year, but they will have to replace almost every offensive skill player, including Mr. Football.  Weeks 1-3 and 9 are the only games where you could judge their relative strength until playoffs. 

22 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

I think Castle will be improved and should crack the top 10.  Maybe slotted in for Bloomington North around 9.  

East Central really intrigues me too.  I think they could have won 5A last year, but they will have to replace almost every offensive skill player, including Mr. Football.  Weeks 1-3 and 9 are the only games where you could judge their relative strength until playoffs. 

Castle I have just outside just feel they have a small shot to win sectionals 

13 minutes ago, BTF said:

My early prediction is a state title matchup between Merrillville and Decatur Central in a game that will go to the wire. I think East Central will be the biggest challenge to DC. Valpo and Warsaw will challenge Merrillville. 

You think Warsaw? I truthfully think laffyette will steamroll Warsaw. They see the triple option and Warsaw doesn’t play anyone with speed. 

6 minutes ago, Footballmomma said:

Castle I have just outside just feel they have a small shot to win sectionals 

You think Warsaw? I truthfully think laffyette will steamroll Warsaw. They see the triple option and Warsaw doesn’t play anyone with speed. 

Warsaw waxed one of 6A's better teams last year. The potential is there. I personally don't see Jeff "steamrolling" them. They're a lot like Mishawaka. Bring your A game, or you're done. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BTF said:

My early prediction is a state title matchup between Merrillville and Decatur Central in a game that will go to the wire. I think East Central will be the biggest challenge to DC. Valpo and Warsaw will challenge Merrillville. 

You really think Merrillville will go this year? Heard they have a lot of depth this year but not as many skill players. But the have a QB that has a cannon for an arm. So it could work out. 

11 minutes ago, BTF said:

Warsaw waxed one of 6A's better teams last year. The potential is there. I personally don't see Jeff "steamrolling" them. They're a lot like Mishawaka. Bring your A game, or you're done. 

Won’t disagree I just hate there style of offense it’s just so boring. And the defense isn’t always great for warsaw! Didn’t they graduate most there team?

2 hours ago, Footballmomma said:

You really think Merrillville will go this year? Heard they have a lot of depth this year but not as many skill players. But the have a QB that has a cannon for an arm. So it could work out. 

Won’t disagree I just hate there style of offense it’s just so boring. And the defense isn’t always great for warsaw! Didn’t they graduate most there team?

If my memory serves me correctly, I believe I looked a few months ago at who Merrillville and DC were returning for the next season. I feel like both teams return enough to be considered the teams to beat for 2024. Merrillville just seems to reload every year and are always on the cusp. I think the Pirate's program is playing at a higher level than Jeff and Warsaw right now. I like DC's coach, couple that with some returning starters, and I think they are the team out of the south. But East Central seems to reload every year too, so we'll see. 

I'll be honest, I'm not really sure what Warsaw brings back other than a good coach and a stout offensive game plan. The style of ball they play is dangerous, Carroll will tell you. So will Snider for that matter............they had to endure Mishawaka, who plays that same style of offense,  two years in a row. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BTF said:

If my memory serves me correctly, I believe I looked a few months ago at who Merrillville and DC were returning for the next season. I feel like both teams return enough to be considered the teams to beat for 2024. Merrillville just seems to reload every year and are always on the cusp. I think the Pirate's program is playing at a higher level than Jeff and Warsaw right now. I like DC's coach, couple that with some returning starters, and I think they are the team out of the south. But East Central seems to reload every year too, so we'll see. 

I'll be honest, I'm not really sure what Warsaw brings back other than a good coach and a stout offensive game plan. The style of ball they play is dangerous, Carroll will tell you. So will Snider for that matter............they had to endure Mishawaka, who plays that same style of offense,  two years in a row. 

I will never understand how snider or Warren struggle with Mishawaka or warsaw when most of the DAC blows them out the water it’s been a while but just don’t see them competing with much of DAC. 

5 hours ago, BTF said:

I agree. I think Jeff might possibly be on a bit of a slow downward trend. Their enrollment is shrinking, and they’re not going to improve much playing what’s left of the NCC.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Footballmomma said:

Warsaw has 35 seniors this coming school year and a lot of players coming back this year, they are loaded this year 

• Like 2

Just now, WCHS Tiger Fan said:

Warsaw has 35 seniors this coming school year and a lot of players coming back this year, they are loaded this year 

Um that’s great not sure how many Valpo or merrillville have. 

but I know articles state something about Merrillville and Decauter are senior heavy after being mostly juniors last year. 

fact check: merrillville graduated 27 seniors. But only 4 starters

LG, QB, 2DEs. They return everything else unless they lost transfers out. 

Valpo graduated 13 starters. Don’t return a whole lot of people that got great playing time 

Ok, maybe Decatur Central is the best in the South next year, but I have to be honest and say I was not impressed with them when they played Snider, especially offensively. Defensively, they were good, but 3 plays into the Snider game, I knew they weren’t scoring an offensive touchdown. Valpo, Mishawaka, Warsaw, and Merrillville will be all good out of the North

On 4/13/2024 at 7:18 PM, Footballmomma said:

Are they playing the ncc? Thought they were voted out and are independent now? 

No, they were part of the folks that voted out Harrison and McCutcheon on the grounds of distance and competitive balance.

1 hour ago, Komets2727 said:

Ok, maybe Decatur Central is the best in the South next year, but I have to be honest and say I was not impressed with them when they played Snider, especially offensively. Defensively, they were good, but 3 plays into the Snider game, I knew they weren’t scoring an offensive touchdown. Valpo, Mishawaka, Warsaw, and Merrillville will be all good out of the North

In all fairness, they ran into one of Snider's better all time defenses. 

11 hours ago, Firsttimeformerdad said:

I doubt it. They can't get past semistate in there best year. This ain't gonna be one.

I think that's an unfair comment considering that every team they've ever bowed out to is now in 6A with the exception of Valpo. Had they been playing within their weight class the last couple decades, they'd probably have 2 or 3 state titles. 

Edited by BTF

14 hours ago, Komets2727 said:

They were starting a sophomore QB and basically an entire sophomore front line. They'll be a force for the next two years. 

• Like 1

On 4/13/2024 at 10:42 AM, Footballmomma said:

Warsaw had a gritty defense last year that helped them upset high expectations and formidable 6A FW Carroll. They had the unlucky pleasure of traveling to Freed Field and playing Penn the next weekend, but they gave Penn everything they could handle. Even in a lopsided loss. 

• Like 1

On 4/13/2024 at 11:01 AM, Footballmomma said:

YARN | Well, folks, Mama's wrong again. | The Waterboy (1998) | Video gifs  by quotes | b5cd5eb8 | ç´—

It's comical to call Warsaw's (or any other teams that run a style of Flexbone/Wishbone/Triple Option) boring. Big plays happen all the time, and the Tigers have averaged 30 points per game since Bart Ball made it's way to the Lake City.

As well - the Tiger Defense has been especially stout the last 2 seasons. Last year, they gave up 15 points per game, including 6 games holding opponents to fewer than 14 points. Warsaw also has 2 defensive players representing the North in this year's North/South All-Start Game.

Last 2 years when comparing Warsaw's Scoring O/D compared to Valparaiso's Scoring O/D... are basically the same.

Scoring O Scoring D
Warsaw 27 ppg 15 ppg
Valpo 29 ppg 16 ppg
  • Like 1

I'm not sure if I am confident in saying Warsaw will represent 5A North this year, but they should be solid candidate. They are the favorite for their prospective sectional with Concord, Goshen and SB Adams, and then would likely face Lafayette Jeff, Kokomo, McCutcheon, or FW North in a Regional matchup. I like the Tigers in a matchup with any of those teams. None are pushovers, but none are at the caliber of FW Carroll, Homestead, or Penn (who the Tigers are used to facing in the postseason).

Facing a Region team (Merrillville, Valparaiso, Hammond Morton) would be a much higher degree of competition/difficulty, but I'd give Warsaw a puncher's chance in a game against any of those teams.

On 4/13/2024 at 10:50 AM, BTF said:

I'm an NLC homer and always want them to do well....but is this a reference to Warsaw beating Carroll?  Carroll was mid pack 6A at best last season.