• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/28/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romaine Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer  Warsaw:  Phil Jenson Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner New Haven  Jim Rowland S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak  Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street
Sign in to follow this  
Irishman

UConn Women

I will start this off by saying I have nothing but respect for Geno Auriemma and all that he has accomplished with this program. I just finished watching them dominate the number 2 team in the country. They have won 83 in a row, which is impressive. outside of the nauseating drool fest that ESPN has for them, my question is this.......is this REALLY good for the women's game? The NCAA expanded the tourney, and while the occasional lower seed grabs a win, it just seems like the sport is not really competitive. In most sports, competition usually catches up. That is not the case here. UConn is a young team, and have already pulled away from the field. My contention is that dominance to this extent is bad for the game. In my opinion, it is just boring to watch. Looking back, even with UConn being the toughest team, I still remember when Notre Dame knocked them off in 2001, and met Purdue in the final. To me, that was the peak moment for the sport. 

Again, I do not want tomtake anything away from what the program has accomplished. Auriemma very well may be the greatest coach of all time. He has earned a spot in the conversation. And in this day and agemwith so many games on TV and several 24/7 sports channels, all things that would seem to make this just that much more difficult to accomplish, it speaks volumes about hime being able to keep his teams focused. Compare that to the UCLA run with John Wooden that they are about to surpass with this unbeaten streak, where exposure on TV was very limited, as was the number of stations that were on the air. 

13 hours ago, Irishman said:

I will start this off by saying I have nothing but respect for Geno Auriemma and all that he has accomplished with this program. I just finished watching them dominate the number 2 team in the country. They have won 83 in a row, which is impressive. outside of the nauseating drool fest that ESPN has for them, my question is this.......is this REALLY good for the women's game? The NCAA expanded the tourney, and while the occasional lower seed grabs a win, it just seems like the sport is not really competitive. In most sports, competition usually catches up. That is not the case here. UConn is a young team, and have already pulled away from the field. My contention is that dominance to this extent is bad for the game. In my opinion, it is just boring to watch. Looking back, even with UConn being the toughest team, I still remember when Notre Dame knocked them off in 2001, and met Purdue in the final. To me, that was the peak moment for the sport. 

Again, I do not want tomtake anything away from what the program has accomplished. Auriemma very well may be the greatest coach of all time. He has earned a spot in the conversation. And in this day and agemwith so many games on TV and several 24/7 sports channels, all things that would seem to make this just that much more difficult to accomplish, it speaks volumes about hime being able to keep his teams focused. Compare that to the UCLA run with John Wooden that they are about to surpass with this unbeaten streak, where exposure on TV was very limited, as was the number of stations that were on the air. 

I agree. Women's college basketball is basically unwatchable for me because of the fact that UConn could play the #3 team in the country and blow them out by 40. It's similar to college football in the way that Alabama will ALWAYS be good. 

3 minutes ago, braaadly said:

I agree. Women's college basketball is basically unwatchable for me because of the fact that UConn could play the #3 team in the country and blow them out by 40. It's similar to college football in the way that Alabama will ALWAYS be good. 

It's a bit of a conundrum because you have to respect the quality of the program UConn has, but it does make the season a bit boring when they always dominate. 

1 hour ago, Indieanapolis said:

It's a bit of a conundrum because you have to respect the quality of the program UConn has, but it does make the season a bit boring when they always dominate. 

And know before a game is played in December that they are going to win the championship.

Comes down to Depth of talent in the game.   There are 2 or 3 programs in the country that can pluck the best gals in high school.   You think UCONN is recruiting or these top end players automatically want to go to UCONN, ND, Stanford.  Same way it was for Tennesee in the 90s.  

the issue is quality depth of the sport with the women, if there was more high end players to space around the entire country you could see more parity, but from my seat looks like there isn't enough really really really good players.  When you are really really really good you go to UCONN.  

100th win in a row, and another double digit win. Interesting stats to consider; only 2 of the 100 wins have been under double digits, and 25 of the wins have been by 50 or more. As impressive as the run is, I still maintain that this hurts the game in the big picture.

The funny thing is I think they beat most before they take the floor, there are several teams that have had more talent this year than them.  Looking back at the last 4 years McDAA and UCONN has landed 6 (only 4 are still at school), teams with at least or more than 4 recruited over those years are as follows

South Carolina--4

Louisville--7

Tenn--5

ND--9 (know 1 has left, so have 2X as many on roster and HOF coach and can not come close to them!!!)

Texas--6

UCLA--4

Kentucky--5 (several had left)

Maryland--7

Baylor--4

Stanford--5

Duke--6

UNC--5

When people say they just out talent people, I kind of laugh for this year.  In years past they def had the most talent, not sure that was the case this year and they will be scary next year--this was supposed to be their down year!!! They bring in the top ranked recruit in the country (4 of top 37) and get Stevens eligible after transfering from Duke and averaging close to 20 a game there as a junior at 6-6

Edited by iubirdman