• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/28/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romaine Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer  Warsaw:  Phil Jenson Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner New Haven  Jim Rowland S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak  Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street
Sign in to follow this  
Indian72

NIC 2017 - What lies ahead

With the official first day of practice tomorrow and 2 weeks of practice till the scrimmage who is everyone playing?

Good Luck and stay healthy these first few weeks. 

Marian will play at Wawasee 

Bremen is going to scrimmage at Fairfield. About 40 kids again this year but excited to see some of our kids get their first varsity experience this year - definitely some showed some talent on the jv level  but will see how they compete against "varsity" competition.. Good Luck to all!

St Joe will be scrimmaging Elkhart Memorial as they have for years over at Charger Field

Just read that Elkhart Central and Elkhart Memorial will consolidate in 2021.

Which conference will the new Elkhart High School compete?

2 hours ago, tommy said:

Just read that Elkhart Central and Elkhart Memorial will consolidate in 2021.

Which conference will the new Elkhart High School compete?

Every indication I've heard is that they will compete in the NIC

A fun guessing game. Who knows?

North:

Penn 8-1 (5-0)

Mishawaka 7-2 (4-1)

SB Adams 6-3(3-2)

SB St Joe 5-4 (2-3)

Elkhart Central 3-6 (1-4)

SB Clay 0-9 (0-5)

South:

New Prairie 7-2 (5-1)

Jimtown 6-3 (4-2)

SB Washington 6-3 (4-2)

Mish Marian 5-4 (3-3)

SB Riley 4-5 (3-3)

Bremen 4-5 (2-4)

John Glenn 2-7 (0-6)

Two NIC games on WHME-TV this weekend. 

Jimtown vs. NorthWood Friday night at 11

Memorial vs. Central Saturday night at 11

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SBguy said:

A fun guessing game. Who knows?

North:

Penn 8-1 (5-0)

Mishawaka 7-2 (4-1)

SB Adams 6-3(3-2)

SB St Joe 5-4 (2-3)

Elkhart Central 3-6 (1-4)

SB Clay 0-9 (0-5)

South:

New Prairie 7-2 (5-1)

Jimtown 6-3 (4-2)

SB Washington 6-3 (4-2)

Mish Marian 5-4 (3-3)

SB Riley 4-5 (3-3)

Bremen 4-5 (2-4)

John Glenn 2-7 (0-6)

I will give it my shot (conference games only, since I'm too lazy to look up NC opponents!)

North:

Penn 5-0

Mishawaka 4-1

SB Adams 3-2

Elkhart Central 2-3

SB St Joe 1-4

SB Clay 0-5

South:

New Prairie 5-1

Marian 5-1

Jimtown 5-1

SB Washington 3-3

Bremen 2-4

SB Riley 1-5

John Glenn 0-6

Unless the rest of Jimtown's missing team shows up I don't see them winning more than 2 conference games. The numbers are WAY down and only a handful of seniors. Long season and games are played on the field, I know. Still, it has been a disturbing downward trend for the past few seasons.

I see Jimtown losing to New Prairie and Marian.  Winning against Glenn and Riley, with Bremen and Washington as toss-up.  3-3 in the conference.  

My friends in Baugo are really down on the Jimmies this year.  The Lions have to gel the o-line at the start of the year.  The defense is stout.  They may take some licks starting out, but could make a deep run in November.

• Like 1

In an effort to interact with more GID users, I've copied my NLC predictions for this week of the four NIC-NLC matchups. If I'm not welcomed here, I'll go back to the better thread ;):D:P 

#9 (5A) Concord (0-0) @ South Bend St. Joseph (0-0): In the third year of this season opening series, the Minutemen visit one of my favorite Michiana high school venues Father Bly Field to take on the Indians. Last year Concord crushed SBSJ 43-18. The Indians went 2-8 last year, their worst season since 1978, after winning a regional championship in 2015. They were bitten by the injury bug and played a number of underclassmen and bring back 12 starters. However, while I expect this game to be more competitive than last season, the Minutemen are bringing back 8 starters on offense and 4 on their offensive line alone. They say you win the game in the trenches... CONCORD by 17

Elkhart Memorial (0-0) @ Elkhart Central (0-0): In what appears to be one of only a few tilts left in the "Battle for the Mangy Lion", the Crimson Chargers and Blue Blazers are looking to start their respective seasons on a high note after both finished last season with 2-8 records. Unfortunately, it appears as though Memorial is trending down while Central is trending up ahead of their looming consolidation in a few years. Memorial's numbers are low, while the Blue Blazers have a new boss in charge (Josh Shattuck who took Seymour from 0-10, 2-8, 5-7 to 8-4 last season) and 21 seniors on the roster. While the Crimson Chargers might have won last seasons matchup, I don't expect them to win ever again in this series... ELKHART CENTRAL by 13

Jimtown (0-0) @ #1 (4A) NorthWood (0-0): Always a fun battle to start the season, the defending 4A North and NLC champion Panthers look to make it an astounding 5 in a row over their rival Jimmies. Jimtown leads the season opening series 11-9 over the last 20 years, but seem to be trending down while the boys from Nappanee continue to climb under Coach Nate Andrews. The Jimmies appear to be low on numbers after already losing quite a bit of production from last season. Even with a new QB under center for the Panthers and a number of new names and faces thrown in, I don't expect them to lose their season opener at home following their successful 2016 campaign... NORTHWOOD by 22

Northridge (0-0) @ South Bend Adams (0-0): This could be one of the more interesting games of opening week in my opinion. The Raiders are looking to rebound from their 3-8 season last year after going 25-10 the first 3 years under Coach Tom Wogoman. They will face a great test in the South Bend Adams Eagles on the road to start things off. Adams is looking to finish with a winning record for three straight seasons for the first time since the 1970's.  The Raiders and Eagles have split this season opening series 3-3 over the last 6 years (not counting the forfeit Northridge received). Hopefully Northridge's defense has improved back to where it was a few years ago as Adams appears to bring a high scoring attack to this matchup. Unfortunately for the Raiders, I think I'll give the Eagles the close nod being at home... SOUTH BEND ADAMS by 6

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

In an effort to interact with more GID users, I've copied my NLC predictions for this week of the four NIC-NLC matchups. If I'm not welcomed here, I'll go back to the better thread ;):D:P 

#9 (5A) Concord (0-0) @ South Bend St. Joseph (0-0): In the third year of this season opening series, the Minutemen visit one of my favorite Michiana high school venues Father Bly Field to take on the Indians. Last year Concord crushed SBSJ 43-18. The Indians went 2-8 last year, their worst season since 1978, after winning a regional championship in 2015. They were bitten by the injury bug and played a number of underclassmen and bring back 12 starters. However, while I expect this game to be more competitive than last season, the Minutemen are bringing back 8 starters on offense and 4 on their offensive line alone. They say you win the game in the trenches... CONCORD by 17

Elkhart Memorial (0-0) @ Elkhart Central (0-0): In what appears to be one of only a few tilts left in the "Battle for the Mangy Lion", the Crimson Chargers and Blue Blazers are looking to start their respective seasons on a high note after both finished last season with 2-8 records. Unfortunately, it appears as though Memorial is trending down while Central is trending up ahead of their looming consolidation in a few years. Memorial's numbers are low, while the Blue Blazers have a new boss in charge (Josh Shattuck who took Seymour from 0-10, 2-8, 5-7 to 8-4 last season) and 21 seniors on the roster. While the Crimson Chargers might have won last seasons matchup, I don't expect them to win ever again in this series... ELKHART CENTRAL by 13

Jimtown (0-0) @ #1 (4A) NorthWood (0-0): Always a fun battle to start the season, the defending 4A North and NLC champion Panthers look to make it an astounding 5 in a row over their rival Jimmies. Jimtown leads the season opening series 11-9 over the last 20 years, but seem to be trending down while the boys from Nappanee continue to climb under Coach Nate Andrews. The Jimmies appear to be low on numbers after already losing quite a bit of production from last season. Even with a new QB under center for the Panthers and a number of new names and faces thrown in, I don't expect them to lose their season opener at home following their successful 2016 campaign... NORTHWOOD by 22

Northridge (0-0) @ South Bend Adams (0-0): This could be one of the more interesting games of opening week in my opinion. The Raiders are looking to rebound from their 3-8 season last year after going 25-10 the first 3 years under Coach Tom Wogoman. They will face a great test in the South Bend Adams Eagles on the road to start things off. Adams is looking to finish with a winning record for three straight seasons for the first time since the 1970's.  The Raiders and Eagles have split this season opening series 3-3 over the last 6 years (not counting the forfeit Northridge received). Hopefully Northridge's defense has improved back to where it was a few years ago as Adams appears to bring a high scoring attack to this matchup. Unfortunately for the Raiders, I think I'll give the Eagles the close nod being at home... SOUTH BEND ADAMS by 6

I agree with just about all you have to say,  St. Joe I think will be closer than you think.

4 hours ago, yellowjacket said:

I see Jimtown losing to New Prairie and Marian.  Winning against Glenn and Riley, with Bremen and Washington as toss-up.  3-3 in the conference.  

We aren't to far apart in our guesses. We couldn't hold a lead against Bremen last year. It was a total self destruct. I expect a hard played game but the Jimmies youth and lack of size and depth will prove fatal. I don't like our chances against the athletes of Washington this year. Coaching has been the Panthers weakness I think. They have had talent every year we have played them but fundamentals have been lax. I've never been able to figure Riley out. Seems like they have a good core of talent. Had decent speed and size last year. Towards the end of our game they started to find a rhythm and if the game had gone on another quarter I think we would have lost it. Jimmies won't be around in the second half against NP and Marian I am sure has reloaded...... Jimtown's problems run deeper than the roster.

17 minutes ago, MarshallCounty said:

I agree with just about all you have to say,  St. Joe I think will be closer than you think.

That wouldn't necessarily surprise me. Should be a good game!

8 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

What do you expect from northwood this season?

10 hours ago, wolves on the prowl said:

What do you expect from northwood this season?

NorthWood is NLC, as you know...but I'll go ahead and answer in this NIC thread...

Loaded at the skill positions. They start the year with their best player, Bronson Yoder, on the shelf for a few weeks with a broken wrist. They have a new quarterback Landon Gessinger, who doesn't have the arm of the graduated Trey Bilinski, but will prove adept at the position. They have speed with Brayton Yoder, DeAndre Smart and Terrell Pratcher. They have a bull of an H-back in Travis Bear. The biggest question mark on offense is the line. Last year, they may have had the best O-line in school history. only one of them returns.

Not much size defensively. Will Ingle, who was Jr. IFCA All-State, returns at nose tackle, but very young on the line. Bear and Jake Chupp lead a good linebacking corps. Speed, but not much size in the secondary. Teams with big offensive lines like Concord and Goshen could give them fits.

On 8/14/2017 at 9:06 PM, skyrat said:

Unless the rest of Jimtown's missing team shows up I don't see them winning more than 2 conference games. The numbers are WAY down and only a handful of seniors. Long season and games are played on the field, I know. Still, it has been a disturbing downward trend for the past few seasons.

What do you think has been wrong with the Jimmies lately?

2 hours ago, Hsfootballfan101 said:

What do you think has been wrong with the Jimmies lately?

In the late 80's and early 90's they roster size regularly exceeded 80-100 players any given year. Given the fact that the total school enrollment was roughly HALF then as it is now, having less players to draw from is part of the problem. The root of the problem is WHY are the numbers down? Coach once told us that a team is only as good as its seniors. (we weren't very good! lol!) but only having 6-14 seniors on the roster? (6 according to max preps and 14 counted form the roster at the scrimmage) not good.

The varsity runs a version of the spread, the jr. high does not. There is a loss of continuity and an increased level of difficulty for the freshman classes (and sophomore to some extent) to learn a new system. I could be wrong, but I expect to see multiple alignment penalties and mental breakdowns this year. There is no doubt that the kids will play hard but in my opinion the decreased talent pool will hurt. Why aren't the numbers coming out? We'd have to ask the kids. All I have are rumors and none of that need be spread here.

20 minutes ago, skyrat said:

In the late 80's and early 90's they roster size regularly exceeded 80-100 players any given year. Given the fact that the total school enrollment was roughly HALF then as it is now, having less players to draw from is part of the problem. The root of the problem is WHY are the numbers down? Coach once told us that a team is only as good as its seniors. (we weren't very good! lol!) but only having 6-14 seniors on the roster? (6 according to max preps and 14 counted form the roster at the scrimmage) not good.

The varsity runs a version of the spread, the jr. high does not. There is a loss of continuity and an increased level of difficulty for the freshman classes (and sophomore to some extent) to learn a new system. I could be wrong, but I expect to see multiple alignment penalties and mental breakdowns this year. There is no doubt that the kids will play hard but in my opinion the decreased talent pool will hurt. Why aren't the numbers coming out? We'd have to ask the kids. All I have are rumors and none of that need be spread here.

How'd they look at the scrimmage? Hear lots of sophomores playing. 

37 minutes ago, skyrat said:

Skyrat, when Triton competed with Jimtown back in the NSC days, I always hated the Jimmies, but had a high level of respect for your athletic programs!  This is completely speculation, but do you think the move to the NIC has had any impact on the number of kids playing?  In the NSC Jimtown had games that they could consistently count as easy wins.  Now those games are gone and the level of competition is considerably higher in the NIC.  Bremen and New Prairie seem to have embraced that change, but I'm not sure about Jimtown and Glenn.  Am I way off base on this?  What are your thoughts?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hsfootballfan101 said:

How'd they look at the scrimmage? Hear lots of sophomores playing. 

at one time there was 1 senior and 1 jr. on the field on offense at the same time. at least as near as I could tell. VERY young....

1 hour ago, Fine Print said:

Skyrat, when Triton competed with Jimtown back in the NSC days, I always hated the Jimmies, but had a high level of respect for your athletic programs!  This is completely speculation, but do you think the move to the NIC has had any impact on the number of kids playing?  In the NSC Jimtown had games that they could consistently count as easy wins.  Now those games are gone and the level of competition is considerably higher in the NIC.  Bremen and New Prairie seem to have embraced that change, but I'm not sure about Jimtown and Glenn.  Am I way off base on this?  What are your thoughts?

I won't say that it didn't have anything to do with it, but the Jimtown mindset in football has always been to be the best you have to beat the best and they have never shied away from a challenge. Where it does affect us in my opinion is the physical toll it takes on us thru the course of a season. Not having a "gimme" game to rest players for a half or so and going typically in to 4 quarters of going all out has led to a lot of injuries and attitude adjustments. Attitudes in the stands need to adjust as well. Jimtown teams aren't going to typically hang 45-50 points on a team while shutting them out anymore. Our fans are a spoiled and not used to tight games all year..... or repeated multi loss seasons

22 minutes ago, skyrat said:

at one time there was 1 senior and 1 jr. on the field on offense at the same time. at least as near as I could tell. VERY young....

I guess that is good for the future, but still Jimtown always had players to fill spots for the next seasons. Not the same anymore.

• Upvote 1

Gee, any thoughts on 960 radio becoming the Mishawaka football and home basketball games radio station