• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks 

33 minutes ago, PatriotFan said:

It is the case that it is a rumor on the middle school team.  I hope that is all it is.  Surely we will scrape up a freshman team--if you can only get 11 freshman field them!  (and then pray nobody gets hurt)

I hope we can field a team to give the kids reps. Last season the HH freshman went undefeated this season they might be lucky to win 1 or 2 games but at that level its not about wins and losses the lost important things are gaining experience and getting game time reps so the kids don't lose interest.

We normally play a tough Frosh schedule with Mater Dei, Jasper, Southridge, Mount Carmel, Boonville, Gibson Southern and Tecumseh JV, Last season we added Princeton JV and played North to replace Boonville who didn't field a team. Playing a tough schedule like that against kids their age would be much more valuable then sitting on the JV bench.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, dave mosbey said:

I hope we can field a team to give the kids reps. Last season the HH freshman went undefeated this season they might be lucky to win 1 or 2 games but at that level its not about wins and losses the lost important things are gaining experience and getting game time reps so the kids don't lose interest.

We normally play a tough Frosh schedule with Mater Dei, Jasper, Southridge, Mount Carmel, Boonville, Gibson Southern and Tecumseh JV, Last season we added Princeton JV and played North to replace Boonville who didn't field a team. Playing a tough schedule like that against kids their age would be much more valuable then sitting on the JV bench.

I totally agree Dave.  You play tough schedules and get beat, you learn more than hanging 56 on a weak team.  You play the hard teams and you will be hanging metal at the end of the field when you play varsity!

On June 10, 2017 at 10:34 PM, Titan20 said:

So GS adds an "impact" transfer from the west border....and adds 2 coaches that were Varsity head coaches last year?

The rich get richer!! Easily one of the top coaching staffs in the area adds two (2) former head coaches to its staff (one of them a very successful head coach.) 

On top of that, one of the most talented and experienced teams in the area gets to add an "impact" transfer! 

Have you guys been getting guidance from some of the top private schools in the state? Well done Bishop Gibson or is it Gibson Southern Catholic? 

:01:

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Cappy said:

The rich get richer!! Easily one of the top coaching staffs in the area adds two (2) former head coaches to its staff (one of them a very successful head coach.) 

On top of that, one of the most talented and experienced teams in the area gets to add an "impact" transfer! 

Have you guys been getting guidance from some of the top private schools in the state? Well done Bishop Gibson or is it Gibson Southern Catholic? 

:01:

At least their good players are staying at Gibson Southern now......there was a time not long ago they would be long gone for a Catholic school to the south......

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, gowesdel said:

At least their good players are staying at Gibson Southern now......there was a time not long ago they would be long gone for a Catholic school to the south......

Actually that is quite true, I can even think of one past GS player--top qb in 3A in the state that was even Catholic and wouldn't have to convert.  Great kid by the way.  Had the privilege of meeting him at a HH bball game.

Edited by PatriotFan

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, AllThingsThruChrist said:

There was a time GS players would go to MD?

No...however, there was a time where we did lose baseball players to Memorial.

The problem back in the day was that some of our better football players didn't play football in some cases.

I like "Gibson Memorial Dei"

:13:

Edited by Titan32
  • Upvote 2

I coached baseball at MHS several years back. Name(s)?  

Just now, AllThingsThruChrist said:

I coached baseball as a volunteer freshman coach at MHS several years back. Name(s)?  

I can name a football player that is going to be a junior this year at Memorial that played in our TYFL league and the family still lives in South Gibson. :02:

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, AllThingsThruChrist said:

TITAN20 is the baseball historian...he can help you with that...guessing 85-95 time frame.  He can also tell you about player/players approached who didn't make the move.

2 hours ago, AllThingsThruChrist said:

Edited by Titan32

2 hours ago, TitanPride said:

I can name a football player that is going to be a junior this year at Memorial that played in our TYFL league and the family still lives in South Gibson. :02:

Super kid and friendly parents, like most other people I've met from Haubstadt/Ft. Branch.   

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TitanPride said:

Did not know this. Did he just come in this year or has he been at MHS since his freshman year?  

19 minutes ago, AllThingsThruChrist said:

Did not know this. Did he just come in this year or has he been at MHS since his freshman year?  

Freshman year. Great kid and I have no hard feelings towards him or MHS because of it. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, TitanPride said:

Freshman year. Great kid and I have no hard feelings towards him or MHS because of it. 

Well,  if thats the case, can you send a few more? Lol!  JK.  

Has to be a great kid , most I meet in the rural area's are solid young men with good families. 

Best of luck to you guys this season. The 3A sectional looks solid with the addition of HH. 

Just hope we can avoid each other round 1. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TitanPride said:

Didn't the Newton kid that was at South spencer and transferred to HH play in the TYFL also ?? I talked to his dad at the North Posey JV game last year he still lives in South Gibson and said his older son played for the Titans. 

4 minutes ago, dave mosbey said:

Didn't the Newton kid that was at South spencer and transferred to HH play in the TYFL also ?? I talked to his dad at the North Posey JV game last year he still lives in South Gibson and said his older son played for the Titans. 

I am not familiar with him Dave. T32 would probably have your answer.  

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Titan32 said:

No...however, there was a time where we did lose baseball players to Memorial.

The problem back in the day was that some of our better football players didn't play football in some cases.

I like "Gibson Memorial Dei"

That's not true.  There were quite a few that went to Mater Dei that could have went to GS.  It used to be that alot of the St. James (one of the Catholic schools outside of Haubstadt) kids would go to Mater Dei.  That has changed over the last decade....most go to GS now.  Quite a few kids that grew up playing Little League in Haubstadt went on to be good athletes for Mater Dei in a lot of sports.  

On the junior currently at Memorial....I think that had a little more to do with an older sibling in another sport going to Memorial.  He just followed her...;)

Edited by Titan20
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Titan20 said:

That's not true.  There were quite a few that went to Mater Dei that could have went to GS.  It used to be that alot of the St. James (one of the Catholic schools outside of Haubstadt) kids would go to Mater Dei.  That has changed over the last decade....most go to GS now.  Quite a few kids that grew up playing Little League in Haubstadt went on to be good athletes for Mater Dei in a lot of sports.  

On the junior currently at Memorial....I think that had a little more to do with an older sibling in another sport going to Memorial.  He just followed her...;)

I actually thought of St. James after my response and thought about an edit but for the life of me I couldn't think of a single example.  That said, I also couldn't remember St. James being much of a contributor of football kids that did play so maybe that's why (they were at M.D. LOL)!  Even with that, I think kids from  our other feeder schools that did play MS football or even freshman football that didn't choose to continue where a more significant factor by about 10 fold than any damage that was done by St. James.  Unfortunately, I can think of WAY too many of those examples.  

I brought up the Memorial baseball thing as I has a memory of you talking about it on a thread here in the past.

I think every program now days have kids move in and out due to changes in family situations and well as changes in employment....it's just the nature of the beast today.  As for the Newton kid...I don't remember him.  Although I have heard from others he did play at least some in the TYFL.

Edited by Titan32
  • Upvote 1

Newton will be a tremendous asset to HH after having to play JV last year due to the transfer. He has strength and very good mobility for a HS lineman.

28 minutes ago, PAC FAN said:

Newton will be a tremendous asset to HH after having to play JV last year due to the transfer. He has strength and very good mobility for a HS lineman.

you can play JV after a transfer?  I thought you were out of everything for a year

1 hour ago, VIP said:

you can play JV after a transfer?  I thought you were out of everything for a year

Varsity participation pretty sure. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, VIP said:

RULE 19 – ELIGIBILITY AND TRANSFER (Also see rule 12 – Enrollment and Attendance) Philosophy The following is a brief resume of the points of philosophy included in the transfer rule of this Association. a. Participation in interschool athletics is a privilege provided for students who meet the democratically-established standards of qualification as set forth by this Association. b. The privilege of participation in interschool athletics should fundamentally be available to Bona Fide students in school districts where their parents or legally-established guardians reside. c. Standards governing residence and transfer are a necessary prerequisite to participation in interschool athletics because: (1.) they protect the opportunities of Bona Fide students to participate; (2.) they provide a fundamentally fair and equitable framework in which interschool athletic competition, in an educational setting, can take place; (3.) they provide uniform standards for all schools to follow in maintaining athletic competition; (4.) they support the educational philosophy that athletics is a privilege which must not be permitted to assume a dominant position in a student’s or school’s program; (5.) they keep the focus of educators and students on the fact that students attend school to receive an education first and participate in athletics second; (6.) they maintain the fundamental principle that a high school student should live at home with his/her parents or legally-appointed Guardian (if the parents are deceased) and attend school in the school District in which the parents or Guardians live; (7.) they reinforce the view that the family is a strong and viable unit in our society, and as such, is the best place for students to live while attending high school; (8.) they serve as a deterrent to students who would transfer schools for athletic reasons and to individuals who would seek to recruit student athletes to attend a particular school for the purpose of building athletic strength; Rule 18 - Scholarship 81 (9.) they serve as a deterrent to students running away from or avoiding an athletic conflict or discipline that has been imposed; (10.) they protect school programs from losing students who have established an identity as an athlete and, as such, are contributors to the overall school program and image. DEFINITIONS: Transfer For Primarily Athletic Reasons – A Transfer For Primarily Athletic Reasons includes, but is not limited to: a. a transfer to obtain the athletic advantage of a superior, or inferior, athletic team, a superior athletic facility or a superior coach or coaching staff; b. a transfer to obtain relief from a conflict with the philosophy or action of an administrator, teacher or coach relative to athletics; c. a transfer seeking a team consistent with the student’s athletic abilities; d. a transfer to obtain a means to nullify punitive action taken by the previous school. Bona fide change of residence – Determination of what constitutes a ‘Bona Fide’ change of residence depends upon the facts in each case, however, to be considered, the following facts must exist: a. the original residence must be abandoned as a residence; that is, sold, rented or disposed of, or in the process of being disposed of as a residence and must not be used as a residence by any member of the student’s immediate family; and b. the student’s entire immediate family must make the change and take with them the household goods and furniture appropriate to the circumstances. For eligibility purposes, a single family unit may not maintain Two (2) or more residences. c. the change of residence must be genuine, without fraud or deceit, and with permanent intent. Limited Eligibility – A student who is declared to have Limited Eligibility shall be eligible to participate immediately in all interschool athletics, provided, however, during the first Threehundred Sixty-five (365) days from the date of last participation at a previous school, such student may not participate in interschool athletics as a member of a Varsity athletic team. RULES: 19-1 Initial Promotion Eligibility When a student is promoted from grade 8, such student may enter grade 9, and have full eligibility, in a school of such student’s choice provided: a. such student Enrolls on or before the 15th initial school day at such School; and b. rule C–20 - Undue Influence has not been violated. In the event a student attends a junior high or middle school which includes grade 9, full eligibility shall be at the parent high school in grade 10. 19-2 Continued Eligibility Once a student obtains full athletic eligibility in a School, such student retains full athletic eligibility in that School even though such student’s parent(s)/Guardian(s) or the student moves to another District or Territory, however, such full athletic eligibility is forfeited in such School in the event: a. the student Enrolls at and attends another School for Fifteen (15) or more school days; or b. such student participates in an interschool Contest as a representative of another School; or c. the student obtained full eligibility under the foreign exchange student exception, 19-6.1(m), and the student continued in attendance at the member School after the initial year of eligibility. 19-3 Transfer Eligibility - Generally A student who transfers to a member School shall be ineligible to participate in interschool athletics for a period of Three-hundred Sixty-five (365) days after Enrollment, unless and until an IHSAA Athletic Transfer Report shall have been ruled on by the Commissioner, or the Commissioner’s designee. Rule 19 - Eligibility and Transfer 82 19-4 Transfer For Primarily Athletic Reasons or the Result of Undue Influence To preserve the integrity of interschool athletics and to prevent or minimize recruiting, proselytizing and school ‘jumping’ for athletic reasons, regardless of the circumstances, a student athlete who transfers from One (1) school to a new school for primarily athletic reasons or as a result of undue influence will be ineligible at the new School for Three-hundred Sixtyfive (365) days from the date the student Enrolls at the new School. However, if a student transfers and it is not discovered at that time that the transfer was primarily for athletic reasons or the result of undue influence, then the student will be ineligible for Three-hundred Sixtyfive (365) days commencing on the date that the Commissioner or Commissioner’s designee rules the student ineligible. 19-5 Eligibility When Transfer With Change Of Residence By Parent(s)/Guardian(s) A student who transfers with a corresponding change of residence to a New District or Territory by the student’s custodial parent(s)/guardian(s) will have full eligibility at the new School, provided there is a Bona Fide change of residence, provided neither the residential change nor the selection of the new residence was the result of primary athletic reasons or the result of undue influence, and provided the transfer is not for primarily athletic reasons or the result of undue influence. 19-5.1 Transfer Options When Transfer With Change of Residence by Parent(s)/ Guardian(s) When a student’s parents(s)/Guardian(s) make a Bona Fide change of residence to a New District or Territory, the student has the following options: a. the student may continue eligibility at his/her original school pursuant to rule C–19-2; or b. The student may transfer and attempt to obtain full eligibility at the Public School which Serves the Student’s Residence, at the Charter School which Serves the Student’s Residence, or at a Private School which Serves the Student’s Residence, at any time prior to the 15th school day of the next semester or trimester (Note: a School does not ‘serve’ the residence of a student who Enrolls at that School under an open enrollment program or under a similar program)( Note: this section 3-10 was amended through a temporary regulation by the IHSAA Executive Committee on 6.23.2016); or c. the student may transfer and attempt to obtain Limited Eligibility in any Public School or Private School which does not serve the student’s area of residence. 19-5.2 Transfer Pending a Move When a student transfers in anticipation of the change of residence by such student’s parent(s)/Guardian(s) to a New District or Territory, the student shall have Limited Eligibility until such Bona Fide change of residence has actually been made and the student has been declared eligible by the Commissioner or his designee unless this requirement is waived by the Commissioner or his designee. For a waiver to be considered, the student shall provide proof which may include but is not limited to an executed and binding purchase agreement contract or lease. 19-6 Transfer Eligibility Without Change Of Residence By Parent(s)/Guardian(s) 19-6.1 Eligibility When Transfer Without Change of Residence by Parent(s)/Guardian(s) A student who transfers without a corresponding change of residence to a New District or Territory by the student’s parent(s)/Guardian(s) will have immediate full athletic eligibility at the new School, provided the transfer was not for primarily athletic reasons or the result of undue influence, and there has been provided to the Association reliable, credible and probative evidence that One (1) or more of the following criteria has been met. a. The transfer is a result of the student being a ward of a court; for purposes of this rule, a student under a guardianship is not a ward of the court. b. The student transfers with a corresponding change of residence by the student into a New District or Territory to reside with a parent. Moves between divorced or separated parents may meet this criterion; however, multiple moves between such parents will not meet this criterion unless the reasons for the move(s) are outside the control of the parents and student and are significant, substantial and/or compelling. Likewise, any student who repeatedly seeks full eligibility under this criterion will not qualify for full eligibility unless the reasons for the move(s) are outside the control of the parents and student and are Rule 19 - Eligibility and Transfer 83 significant, substantial and/or compelling, In all cases under this criterion, full eligibility will not be approved if the approval will result in a student participating in more than One (1) season of a sport during a school year, or will result in a student participating in more than Four (4) seasons of a sport during a student’s Four (4) years of high school. c. The student transfers with a corresponding change of residence by the student into a New District or Territory to reside with a Guardian or in a foster home and the residence change is the result of: (1.) the student becoming an orphan; or (2.) an extremely negative non-athletic condition, peculiar to the student, which is caused by unforeseen, unavoidable and uncorrectable events, which are beyond the election, control or creation of the student, the student’s family, the student’s supporters, the student’s coaches and the student’s school. A guardianship established for the purpose of making a student eligible will not be accepted. d. The student’s former school closed. Note: See rule 19-6.3b e. The student’s former school(s) attended during the entire Three-hundred Sixty-five (365) days prior to the Enrollment at the new School were not IHSAA member school(s) or were not accredited by the state accrediting agency in the state where the school(s) were located. f. The student transferred pursuant to a school board mandate for redistricting. g. The student Enrolled and/or attended, in error, a wrong school and a transfer application is made promptly when discovered. h. The student transferred from a correctional school. i. The student is emancipated and has established a Bona Fide residence in a New District or Territory. j. The student did not participate in any interschool Contest as a representative of another school during the preceding Three-hundred Sixty-five (365) days. This exception does not apply if the school(s) the student attended during the preceding Three-hundred Sixty-five (365) days did not offer the sport in which the student wishes to participate, interscholastic or non-interscholastic, and such student participated in athletic competition in such sport individually or as a member of a club or similar team, during the preceding Three-hundred Sixty-five (365) days. k. The student transfers from a non-IHSAA member school with a corresponding change of residence by the student to reside with a parent and/or legal Guardian whom the student had previously resided. Note: See rule 19-6.3b(2) l. The student (i) transfers from a member Boarding School with a corresponding move by the student to the residence of the student’s parent/s or (ii) when the student transfers to a member Boarding School, the student established, to the reasonable satisfaction of the Commissioner, his designee or the Committee, that (a) the transfer is in the best interest of the student, and (b) there are no athletic related motives surrounding the transfer, and (c) the principals of the sending and receiving schools each affirm in writing that the transfer is in the best interest of the student and there are no athletic related motives surrounding the transfer. m. The student is a qualified foreign exchange student under rule 19-7 who has attended One (1) member School for One (1) year or less. n. The student’s parent or legal guardian accepted a licensed or certified position at the receiving School. 19-6.2 Limited Eligibility When Transfer Without Change of Residence by Parent(s)/ Guardian(s) A student who transfers without a corresponding change of residence to a New District or Territory by the student’s parent(s)/Guardian(s) will have Limited Eligibility at the new School, provided the transfer was not for primarily athletic reasons or the result of undue influence. The period of Limited Eligibility at the new School under this section begins on the date of Enrollment and continues until the first anniversary of the date on which (i) the student last participated in interscholastic athletic at the previous school(s), or (ii) the student last participated in athletics as a member of a club or similar team, when the previous school(s) did not offer the sport in which the student wishes to participate. Rule 19 - Eligibility and Transfer 84 19-6.3 Transfer Options When Transfer Without Change of Residence by Parent(s)/ Guardian(s) Upon the occurrence of an event which would permit a student to be declared to have immediate full eligibility under rule C–19-6.1, the student has the following options. a. The student may continue eligibility at the student’s original school pursuant to rule C–19-2; b. The student may transfer and attempt to obtain full eligibility, at any time prior to the 15th school day of the next semester or trimester, provided: (1) when the student seeks full eligibility under rules 19-6.1 (a), (b), (c), (e), (f), (g), (h), (i), (l), (m), full eligibility would be available only in the new Public School which Serves the Student’s Residence or at a Charter or Private School which Serves the Student’s area of Residence, (2) when the student seeks full eligibility under rules 19-6.1(d) or 19-1(j), full eligibility would be available at any school, or (3) when the student seeks full eligibility under rule 19-6.1(k), full eligibility would be available only at the school the student previously attended or at the Public or Charter High School which Serves the Student’s Residence; or (4) when the student seeks full eligibility under rule 19-6.1(n), full eligibility would be available only at the school where the student’s parent or legal guardian accepted a licensed or certified position. c. The student may transfer and attempt to obtain Limited Eligibility in any Public School or Private School. 19-7 Foreign Exchange Student Eligibility 19-7.1 Requirements to be a Qualified Foreign Exchange Student A foreign student is a qualified foreign exchange student if he/she meets the following criteria: a. The student has not completed his/her home Secondary School program; b. The student meets all IHSAA eligibility rules including the scholarship rule (rule 18) and the age rule (rule 4); c. The student has been randomly assigned to his/her host parents and school and neither the school the student attends nor any person associated with the school shall have input into the selection of the student; d. No member of the school’s coaching staff, paid or voluntary, shall serve as the host family; e. The student, in writing, (i) agrees that full eligibility under the foreign exchange exception is for a maximum of One (1) year at One (1) school and is conditioned upon the student’s commitment to attend the member school for no more than One (1) year, and (ii) agrees that any continued attendance at any school beyond the initial year will be treated by the IHSAA as attendance following a transfer without a change of residence by the parent(s)/ Guardian(s) but the highest level of eligibility for which the student will qualify, during the year following the initial year, is Limited Eligibility. f. The student possesses a current J-1 visa, issued by the U.S. State Department; g. The student’s placement arrangements are completed in advance of the student’s departure from his/her home country. h. The student is attending School under a foreign exchange program approved by both the Association and the Council of Standards for International Education Travel (CSIET). A foreign exchange program, to be approved by the Association: (1.) shall be under the auspices of an established national corporation, a not-for-profit corporation or organization or a national civic organization; (2.) must assign students to schools by a method which insures that no student, school or other interested party may influence the assignment; (3.) must consult with the member school principal prior to placement of a student in a school; (4.) must be able to certify the student’s participation in interschool athletics in his/her home country; (5.) must not select or place the student based on his/her athletic interest or abilities. A list of approved CSIET and Association programs will be provided annually. 19-7.2 Direct Placements by Exchange Program If a foreign exchange program, approved by the CSIET and the Association, makes a direct Rule 19 - Eligibility and Transfer 85 placement of a student in a member School, the IHSAA must be notified in writing. A placement is considered a “direct placement” when a foreign exchange program places a student in a specific home or school, or in One (1) of several homes or schools, at the request of the student, parent, host, coach, booster, school, etc. A student receiving a direct placement may be granted Limited Eligibility. If a school fails to notify the Association of a direct placement, the student may be declared ineligible and the school may be subject to additional penalties as determined by the Commissioner. (Note: The member School must file the appropriate form with the IHSAA prior to the student receiving eligibility.) 19-8 Procedure Upon Transfer When a student transfers to a member School, the receiving School principal shall promptly conduct an investigation and file an IHSAA Athletic Transfer Report with the Association. 19-8.1 IHSAA Athletic Transfer Report and Investigation a. The principal of the receiving School shall promptly conduct an investigation commensurate with the facts known and the information provided to the principal at the time that an IHSAA Athletic Transfer Report is requested or initiated by a student or such student’s parent(s)/ Guardian(s). b. On all transfers, an IHSAA Athletic Transfer Report shall immediately be completed by the student and/or the student’s parent(s)/Guardian(s) as well as the receiving School principal and principal of the School from which the student transferred (sending school) and forwarded to the Association together with: (1.) a written report reflecting the results of the investigation of the receiving School principal; (2.) a statement explaining the circumstances, documented and supported in all appropriate ways; (3.) any verified or unverified statements from the student and/or the student’s parent(s)/ Guardian(s), and others; (4.) all pertinent and relevant documents which appear to bear on the subject; and (5.) recommendations regarding immediate eligibility by both principals, and in those circumstances where the student attended a school other than the sending and receiving school, at any time during the Three-hundred Sixty-five (365) days prior to the transfer, a recommendation regarding immediate eligibility shall be provided by the principal of the other school(s) the student attended during the Three-hundred Sixty-five (365) days prior to the transfer. c. The receiving School principal shall notify the student and the student’s parent(s)/ Guardian(s) that further investigation has been requested by either the sending school principal or the receiving School principal, or if it would appear that further investigation may be undertaken by the Association; under such circumstances, the student and the student’s parent(s)/Guardian(s) shall be advised that they have the opportunity to present any pertinent information not previously provided. d. The failure of the student and/or the student’s parent(s)/Guardian(s) or the receiving School or sending school principals, to process and file with the Association the IHSAA Athletic Transfer Report, may render the student ineligible and may subject the offending school to disciplinary action. Q & A Transfers - Generally Q. 19-1 Can a student, who receives Limited Eligibility following a transfer without a parental move, receive full eligibility after the parents later move into the District or Territory serving the school where the student had transferred? A. No, unless the student and the student’s parent(s) had previously declared their intent to move into the School District or Territory at the time the Transfer Report was submitted. In other words, if a student transfers to School A and states on the Transfer Report, in good faith, that his/her parents intend to move into the District or Territory served by School A, then the student will likely receive Rule 19 - Eligibility and Transfer 86 Limited Eligibility until such time that the parents move into School A’s District or Territory, and then at that time, the student can seek full eligibility under 19-5 and 19-5.2. In addition, the student can also attempt to obtain full eligibility at the time of the original transfer under the waiver procedure of rule 19-5.2. (rule19-5.2) Q. 19-2 Can a student, whose parent(s) make a Bona Fide move to a New District or Territory, but who does not transfer at the time of the move, become fully eligible when the student later transfers to a School which Serves the Student’s Residence? A. Provided the student transfers to a School which Serves the Student’s Residence prior to the 15th school day of the next school year, the student can attempt to obtain full eligibility at that School, provided there is no evidence that the transfer was the result of undue influence or primarily for athletic reasons. A transfer occurring after the 15th school day of the next semester or tri-mester will be treated as a transfer without a corresponding change of residence and the student shall have Limited Eligibility, unless the student can obtain full eligibility under rule 19-6.1, or under the general waiver rule.(rule19-5.1) Q. 19-3 If a student transfers from a member School located in One (1) city or School District to a School in another city or School District, how is eligibility determined? A. Transfer eligibility is determined under rule 19. It is the administrative duty, under rule 3 and rule 19, for all member principals to conduct an investigation and to carefully check the record of every transfer student who Enrolls at a member School. All member principals should also advise any student, who contemplates making a change of schools, as to the IHSAA eligibility rules regarding transfers. (rule 19) Q 19-4 May a transfer student from a school, which was not a member of the IHSAA and which was not accredited by another state’s accrediting organization, obtain full eligibility under rule 19-6.1(e), even though the transfer student had only attended the previous school for a semester? A. No, full eligibility under rule 19-6.1(e) is limited to those situations where the transfer student attended, during the entire Three-hundred Sixty-five (365) days period preceding the transfer, only unaccredited, non-IHSAA member schools. Q. 19-5 If a student’s parents moved out-of-state, but the student remains and moves in with a family friend and remains enrolled at the original school, is this student athletically eligible? A. Yes. Once a student becomes eligible in a School, the student retains eligibility in that School even though the student’s parents may have move to another District or Territory. (rule 19-2) Q. 19-6 If, between the first day of Practice and the first day of school, a new sophomore student (i) turns in a completed Consent and Release Certificate at a new School and (ii) participates in Practice at the new School for 10 school days, and then attends and participates at a second new School, will the student be athletically eligible at the second new School? What if the student Practiced for Sixteen (16) days? A. Yes, a student does not lose eligibility at a former school until the student has been Enrolled at a school for Fifteen (15) school days or more. However, since this is still a second new school, the student must seek eligibility at the second new school through submission of an IHSAA Transfer Report. If the student Practiced for Sixteen (16) school days, then the student became a student at the first new School and the student would need to submit a Transfer Report from the first new School to the second new School. However, since the student had not competed as a representative for the first new School, the student may get full eligibility. (rule 19-6.1(j)) Rule 19 - Eligibility and Transfer 87 Transfer Reports Q. 19-7 May a transfer student Practice and participate in interscholastic Contests during the time a Transfer Report is being processed? A. Once Enrolled at the receiving School, a transfer student may participate in Practices prior to the completion of the athletic transfer process, however the student may not compete in a Contest until after the Transfer Report is approved by the IHSAA. (rule 19-3(b)) Q. 19-8 Must a transfer student, who has never attended an American school and has never participated in interscholastic athletics, complete a Transfer Report? A. Yes, an athletic transfer form must be completed any time a student transfers to the new School, after the student had initially Enrolled in 9th grade, whether the student transfer from an in-state school, out-of-state school, Home School, and even if the student had not previously participated in athletics. (rule 19-3) Q. 19-9 If an incoming freshman or transfer student begins to Practice at a new School in August, but before school starts, but then leaves and decides to attend another school, must a Transfer Report be completed, since the student never competed in an interscholastic event at the school? A. For purposes of rule 19, the date of Enrollment at a School occurs when the student attends either a scheduled day of school, Practices for a sport, or participates in a Contest for the new School, which means that if that incoming student does practice for a sport and then decides to attend another school, the student will be a ‘transfer’ student, and a Transfer Report must be completed. Q. 19-10 What action should be taken by a member School when unable to obtain endorsed Transfer Report from an out-of-state school? A. The principal should promptly contact Commissioner and request a waiver. (rule 19-3) Q. 19-11 What is the penalty when it is discovered that false information has been submitted on a Transfer Report regarding a student who transfers from One (1) school to another? A. The penalty for submitting false information is a loss of athletic eligibility for a period of Three-hundred Sixty-five (365) days following the student’s Enrollment at any School that is a member of the IHSAA. (rules 15-1.1(e), 15-1.2(d)) Transfers with a Corresponding Change of Residence Q. 19-12 If the parents of a student move into a new area which is served by both a public and a Private member school, where must the student attend in order to be athletically eligible? A. A student may attend either the Public School serving the student’s new residence or the Private school serving the student’s new residence. However, once the choice is made and the student attends a school for more than Fifteen (15) school days, or participates in an interscholastic competition, any subsequent transfer is subject to the provisions of rule 19. (rule 19-2) Enrollment Options Following a Move Q. 19-13 After moving to a New District or Territory with his parent, a student Enrolls at a Public School which does not serve the student’s new residence or a Private School which does not serve the student’s new residence. Will the student be fully eligible? A. No. A student transferring with a corresponding change of residence by the parents to a New District or Territory can obtain full eligibility only at a Public School or Private School Serving the student’s new Residence, or at a Charter School. Transferring to an out-of-District Public School or an out-of-Territory Private School will result in Limited Eligibility unless the student can establish grounds for a student eligibility general waiver. (rule 19-5.1(b)) Transfers without a Corresponding Change of Residence Q. 19-14 Student attends a Public School which is closing at the end of the current school year. Student knows that next year his home will be served by a new Public Rule 19 - Eligibility and Transfer 88 School and he decides he will go ahead and transfer at Christmas break to the new Public School. Will the student be fully eligible? A. No. A student who transfers Schools because of a School closing will be fully eligible at a new School in accordance with rule 19-6.3; however, any transfer to the new School must be contemporaneous with the old School’s closing. In this case, the student would gain Limited Eligibility at the new Public School until his old School actually closes, and at that time student would gain full eligibility at the new Public School. Q. 19-15 If a student attends a member School, the School eliminates calculus from its curriculum and the student transfers to a Private member School which offers calculus, will the student obtain full eligibility? A. No. A student will have Limited Eligibility when a transfer is not accompanied by a corresponding change of residence by the parents. rule 19 does not have a waiver provision and the addition or deletion of an academic subject in the curriculum of a member School is not a valid basis for full eligibility. (rule 19-6.2) Q. 19-16 Will a Private School student, who resides with the student’s parents, who transfers to the Public School serving the parent’s residence be fully eligible following the transfer? A. No, the student will likely be granted Limited Eligibility at the Public School for Three-hundred Sixty-five (365) days from the date the student last participated in an interschool Contest at the Private School, unless the student would qualify for full eligibility under another provision of rule 19. (rule 19-6.2) Q. 19-17 If a student resides with his/her parents in a residence served by a Public School but attends the ninth grade at a Private School in the area, the student has not participated in athletics, and as a sophomore, the student transfers to the Public School serving his/her residence, is the student eligible? A. Under these circumstances, and based upon the fact that the student had not participated in athletics during the preceding Three-hundred Sixty-five (365) days at the student’s former School, it is likely that the student would obtain full eligibility. (rule 19-6.1(j)) Q. 19-18 Can a student transfer to New School and obtain full eligibility under rule 19- 6.1(n) when the student’s parent obtains a job as a bus driver at New School? A. No. Under rule 19-6.1(n), the parent’s position at New School must be either a teaching or administration position requiring an education license, an administrator’s certification or similar professional credential. A position requiring a driver’s license or similar licensure does not qualify for full eligibility under the rule. Moves Between Parental Households Q. 19-19 If a family owns a business that serves several school Districts, owns a home in Two (2) different Districts, the father and the student live in a Public School District A and the student attends the Public School in District A, the mother live in the apartment in Public School District B, and because of supervisory considerations, it is decided that the student should live with the mother in Public School District B and should attend School B, will the student be granted full eligibility? A. No, the student would be granted Limited Eligibility, since a single family unit may not maintain Two (2) or more residences for athletic eligibility purposes, unless the student would qualify for full eligibility under another provision of rule 19. (rule 19-6.2; See definition of Bona Fide move) Q. 19-20 If a student, who has been living in another state with the student’s divorced mother, who has legal custody, moves to live with the student’s father and Enrolls at the IHSAA member School serving the father’s residence, may the student be eligible at the new School? Rule 19 - Eligibility and Transfer 89 A. Yes, provided this is the first move between parents. (rule 19-6.1(b)) Q. 19-21 Does the existence of a broken home, separated parents, or other factors mean that eligibility in terms of residence will automatically be granted? A. No, each of these circumstances is only a factor which permits the Commissioner or his designee to review the individual circumstances of the student’s case and make a ruling on the basis of an investigation and the provisions of the By-Laws. (rules 19, 17-8) Emancipated Student Q. 19-22 May an Emancipated Student be eligible if attending School in a District in which his/her parents do not reside? A. Yes, provided the emancipated status is verified to the satisfaction of the Commissioner. (rule 19-6.1(i)) Guardians Q. 19-23 If a student’s parents determine that it is in the student’s best interests for the student to live with the student’s grandparents, the grandparents become the legal Guardians of the student and there is a resulting change in residence and a transfer of school, will the student have full eligible to participate in athletics? A. No, a legal guardianship is not recognized for the purpose of making a student fully eligible; and therefore, the student would be entitled to Limited Eligibility for a Three-hundred Sixty-five (365) day period, unless the student can establish grounds for a student eligibility general waiver as defined in rule 17-8. (rules 19-6.2, 17-8) Foreign Exchange Transfers Q. 19-24 Is a foreign exchange student, attending an IHSAA member School, fully eligible to participate in athletics? A. Yes, provided the student is attending under a CSIET-approved program and all of the requirements contained in foreign exchange rule have been met and followed. If the foreign exchange student cannot meet the foreign exchange rule, the student will likely be granted Limited Eligibility. (rules 19-6.1(m), 19- 6.2, 19-7) Q. 19-25 May a foreign student request placement in a specified school? A. Yes, however under such circumstances the student would not qualify for full eligibility under the foreign exchange transfer rule. Instead, since the foreign exchange student would be unable to meet the foreign exchange rule, the student would receive Limited Eligibility, unless the student would qualify for full eligibility under another provision of rule 19. (rule 19-7.2) Q. 19-26 May a foreign exchange student obtain full eligibility for more than a One (1) year period? A. No, foreign exchange students may be granted full eligible for Varsity athletics for One (1) year, and if the student remains, the student would be treated as an incoming transfer student who had transferred without a corresponding change of residents by the student’s parents, and would have Limited Eligibility, unless the student were able to qualify for full eligibility under another provision of rule 19. (rule 19-7.1(c)) Practices following a School Transfer Q. 19-27 May Practices in One (1) school be counted in another school where a student changes schools? A. Yes, a student’s Practices at a prior school may count toward the minimum Practices requirements of rule 9 provided there is definite proof of the Practices on file with the principal of the school at which the Practices were held. See also, rule 9 Discipline following a School Transfer Q. 19-28 Does disciplinary ineligibility in One (1) school carry over to the second school when a student transfers? A. Yes, a student must be eligible in all respects at the school from which the Rule 19 - Eligibility and Transfer 90 student transferred. And this means that an ineligibility ruling under the rules of a prior school shall carry over to the new school even though the student would be eligible under the rules at the new school. (rule 3-8) 

3 hours ago, VIP said:

You are only out for Varsity (365 days) if the student is declared to have "Limited" Eligibility.  If the student is declared to have full athletic eligibility they can participate in Varsity athletics with no wait.  However, as you can see from the IHSAA Bylaws....determining those things can be tricky.

13 hours ago, Titan32 said:

RULE 19 – ELIGIBILITY AND TRANSFER (Also see rule 12 – Enrollment and Attendance) Philosophy The following is a brief resume of the points of philosophy included in the transfer rule of this Association. a. Participation in interschool athletics is a privilege provided for students who meet the democratically-established standards of qualification as set forth by this Association. b. The privilege of participation in interschool athletics should fundamentally be available to Bona Fide students in school districts where their parents or legally-established guardians reside. c. Standards governing residence and transfer are a necessary prerequisite to participation in interschool athletics because: (1.) they protect the opportunities of Bona Fide students to participate; (2.) they provide a fundamentally fair and equitable framework in which interschool athletic competition, in an educational setting, can take place; (3.) they provide uniform standards for all schools to follow in maintaining athletic competition; (4.) they support the educational philosophy that athletics is a privilege which must not be permitted to assume a dominant position in a student’s or school’s program; (5.) they keep the focus of educators and students on the fact that students attend school to receive an education first and participate in athletics second; (6.) they maintain the fundamental principle that a high school student should live at home with his/her parents or legally-appointed Guardian (if the parents are deceased) and attend school in the school District in which the parents or Guardians live; (7.) they reinforce the view that the family is a strong and viable unit in our society, and as such, is the best place for students to live while attending high school; (8.) they serve as a deterrent to students who would transfer schools for athletic reasons and to individuals who would seek to recruit student athletes to attend a particular school for the purpose of building athletic strength; Rule 18 - Scholarship 81 (9.) they serve as a deterrent to students running away from or avoiding an athletic conflict or discipline that has been imposed; (10.) they protect school programs from losing students who have established an identity as an athlete and, as such, are contributors to the overall school program and image. DEFINITIONS: Transfer For Primarily Athletic Reasons – A Transfer For Primarily Athletic Reasons includes, but is not limited to: a. a transfer to obtain the athletic advantage of a superior, or inferior, athletic team, a superior athletic facility or a superior coach or coaching staff; b. a transfer to obtain relief from a conflict with the philosophy or action of an administrator, teacher or coach relative to athletics; c. a transfer seeking a team consistent with the student’s athletic abilities; d. a transfer to obtain a means to nullify punitive action taken by the previous school. Bona fide change of residence – Determination of what constitutes a ‘Bona Fide’ change of residence depends upon the facts in each case, however, to be considered, the following facts must exist: a. the original residence must be abandoned as a residence; that is, sold, rented or disposed of, or in the process of being disposed of as a residence and must not be used as a residence by any member of the student’s immediate family; and b. the student’s entire immediate family must make the change and take with them the household goods and furniture appropriate to the circumstances. For eligibility purposes, a single family unit may not maintain Two (2) or more residences. c. the change of residence must be genuine, without fraud or deceit, and with permanent intent. Limited Eligibility – A student who is declared to have Limited Eligibility shall be eligible to participate immediately in all interschool athletics, provided, however, during the first Threehundred Sixty-five (365) days from the date of last participation at a previous school, such student may not participate in interschool athletics as a member of a Varsity athletic team. RULES: 19-1 Initial Promotion Eligibility When a student is promoted from grade 8, such student may enter grade 9, and have full eligibility, in a school of such student’s choice provided: a. such student Enrolls on or before the 15th initial school day at such School; and b. rule C–20 - Undue Influence has not been violated. In the event a student attends a junior high or middle school which includes grade 9, full eligibility shall be at the parent high school in grade 10. 19-2 Continued Eligibility Once a student obtains full athletic eligibility in a School, such student retains full athletic eligibility in that School even though such student’s parent(s)/Guardian(s) or the student moves to another District or Territory, however, such full athletic eligibility is forfeited in such School in the event: a. the student Enrolls at and attends another School for Fifteen (15) or more school days; or b. such student participates in an interschool Contest as a representative of another School; or c. the student obtained full eligibility under the foreign exchange student exception, 19-6.1(m), and the student continued in attendance at the member School after the initial year of eligibility. 19-3 Transfer Eligibility - Generally A student who transfers to a member School shall be ineligible to participate in interschool athletics for a period of Three-hundred Sixty-five (365) days after Enrollment, unless and until an IHSAA Athletic Transfer Report shall have been ruled on by the Commissioner, or the Commissioner’s designee. Rule 19 - Eligibility and Transfer 82 19-4 Transfer For Primarily Athletic Reasons or the Result of Undue Influence To preserve the integrity of interschool athletics and to prevent or minimize recruiting, proselytizing and school ‘jumping’ for athletic reasons, regardless of the circumstances, a student athlete who transfers from One (1) school to a new school for primarily athletic reasons or as a result of undue influence will be ineligible at the new School for Three-hundred Sixtyfive (365) days from the date the student Enrolls at the new School. However, if a student transfers and it is not discovered at that time that the transfer was primarily for athletic reasons or the result of undue influence, then the student will be ineligible for Three-hundred Sixtyfive (365) days commencing on the date that the Commissioner or Commissioner’s designee rules the student ineligible. 19-5 Eligibility When Transfer With Change Of Residence By Parent(s)/Guardian(s) A student who transfers with a corresponding change of residence to a New District or Territory by the student’s custodial parent(s)/guardian(s) will have full eligibility at the new School, provided there is a Bona Fide change of residence, provided neither the residential change nor the selection of the new residence was the result of primary athletic reasons or the result of undue influence, and provided the transfer is not for primarily athletic reasons or the result of undue influence. 19-5.1 Transfer Options When Transfer With Change of Residence by Parent(s)/ Guardian(s) When a student’s parents(s)/Guardian(s) make a Bona Fide change of residence to a New District or Territory, the student has the following options: a. the student may continue eligibility at his/her original school pursuant to rule C–19-2; or b. The student may transfer and attempt to obtain full eligibility at the Public School which Serves the Student’s Residence, at the Charter School which Serves the Student’s Residence, or at a Private School which Serves the Student’s Residence, at any time prior to the 15th school day of the next semester or trimester (Note: a School does not ‘serve’ the residence of a student who Enrolls at that School under an open enrollment program or under a similar program)( Note: this section 3-10 was amended through a temporary regulation by the IHSAA Executive Committee on 6.23.2016); or c. the student may transfer and attempt to obtain Limited Eligibility in any Public School or Private School which does not serve the student’s area of residence. 19-5.2 Transfer Pending a Move When a student transfers in anticipation of the change of residence by such student’s parent(s)/Guardian(s) to a New District or Territory, the student shall have Limited Eligibility until such Bona Fide change of residence has actually been made and the student has been declared eligible by the Commissioner or his designee unless this requirement is waived by the Commissioner or his designee. For a waiver to be considered, the student shall provide proof which may include but is not limited to an executed and binding purchase agreement contract or lease. 19-6 Transfer Eligibility Without Change Of Residence By Parent(s)/Guardian(s) 19-6.1 Eligibility When Transfer Without Change of Residence by Parent(s)/Guardian(s) A student who transfers without a corresponding change of residence to a New District or Territory by the student’s parent(s)/Guardian(s) will have immediate full athletic eligibility at the new School, provided the transfer was not for primarily athletic reasons or the result of undue influence, and there has been provided to the Association reliable, credible and probative evidence that One (1) or more of the following criteria has been met. a. The transfer is a result of the student being a ward of a court; for purposes of this rule, a student under a guardianship is not a ward of the court. b. The student transfers with a corresponding change of residence by the student into a New District or Territory to reside with a parent. Moves between divorced or separated parents may meet this criterion; however, multiple moves between such parents will not meet this criterion unless the reasons for the move(s) are outside the control of the parents and student and are significant, substantial and/or compelling. Likewise, any student who repeatedly seeks full eligibility under this criterion will not qualify for full eligibility unless the reasons for the move(s) are outside the control of the parents and student and are Rule 19 - Eligibility and Transfer 83 significant, substantial and/or compelling, In all cases under this criterion, full eligibility will not be approved if the approval will result in a student participating in more than One (1) season of a sport during a school year, or will result in a student participating in more than Four (4) seasons of a sport during a student’s Four (4) years of high school. c. The student transfers with a corresponding change of residence by the student into a New District or Territory to reside with a Guardian or in a foster home and the residence change is the result of: (1.) the student becoming an orphan; or (2.) an extremely negative non-athletic condition, peculiar to the student, which is caused by unforeseen, unavoidable and uncorrectable events, which are beyond the election, control or creation of the student, the student’s family, the student’s supporters, the student’s coaches and the student’s school. A guardianship established for the purpose of making a student eligible will not be accepted. d. The student’s former school closed. Note: See rule 19-6.3b e. The student’s former school(s) attended during the entire Three-hundred Sixty-five (365) days prior to the Enrollment at the new School were not IHSAA member school(s) or were not accredited by the state accrediting agency in the state where the school(s) were located. f. The student transferred pursuant to a school board mandate for redistricting. g. The student Enrolled and/or attended, in error, a wrong school and a transfer application is made promptly when discovered. h. The student transferred from a correctional school. i. The student is emancipated and has established a Bona Fide residence in a New District or Territory. j. The student did not participate in any interschool Contest as a representative of another school during the preceding Three-hundred Sixty-five (365) days. This exception does not apply if the school(s) the student attended during the preceding Three-hundred Sixty-five (365) days did not offer the sport in which the student wishes to participate, interscholastic or non-interscholastic, and such student participated in athletic competition in such sport individually or as a member of a club or similar team, during the preceding Three-hundred Sixty-five (365) days. k. The student transfers from a non-IHSAA member school with a corresponding change of residence by the student to reside with a parent and/or legal Guardian whom the student had previously resided. Note: See rule 19-6.3b(2) l. The student (i) transfers from a member Boarding School with a corresponding move by the student to the residence of the student’s parent/s or (ii) when the student transfers to a member Boarding School, the student established, to the reasonable satisfaction of the Commissioner, his designee or the Committee, that (a) the transfer is in the best interest of the student, and (b) there are no athletic related motives surrounding the transfer, and (c) the principals of the sending and receiving schools each affirm in writing that the transfer is in the best interest of the student and there are no athletic related motives surrounding the transfer. m. The student is a qualified foreign exchange student under rule 19-7 who has attended One (1) member School for One (1) year or less. n. The student’s parent or legal guardian accepted a licensed or certified position at the receiving School. 19-6.2 Limited Eligibility When Transfer Without Change of Residence by Parent(s)/ Guardian(s) A student who transfers without a corresponding change of residence to a New District or Territory by the student’s parent(s)/Guardian(s) will have Limited Eligibility at the new School, provided the transfer was not for primarily athletic reasons or the result of undue influence. The period of Limited Eligibility at the new School under this section begins on the date of Enrollment and continues until the first anniversary of the date on which (i) the student last participated in interscholastic athletic at the previous school(s), or (ii) the student last participated in athletics as a member of a club or similar team, when the previous school(s) did not offer the sport in which the student wishes to participate. Rule 19 - Eligibility and Transfer 84 19-6.3 Transfer Options When Transfer Without Change of Residence by Parent(s)/ Guardian(s) Upon the occurrence of an event which would permit a student to be declared to have immediate full eligibility under rule C–19-6.1, the student has the following options. a. The student may continue eligibility at the student’s original school pursuant to rule C–19-2; b. The student may transfer and attempt to obtain full eligibility, at any time prior to the 15th school day of the next semester or trimester, provided: (1) when the student seeks full eligibility under rules 19-6.1 (a), (b), (c), (e), (f), (g), (h), (i), (l), (m), full eligibility would be available only in the new Public School which Serves the Student’s Residence or at a Charter or Private School which Serves the Student’s area of Residence, (2) when the student seeks full eligibility under rules 19-6.1(d) or 19-1(j), full eligibility would be available at any school, or (3) when the student seeks full eligibility under rule 19-6.1(k), full eligibility would be available only at the school the student previously attended or at the Public or Charter High School which Serves the Student’s Residence; or (4) when the student seeks full eligibility under rule 19-6.1(n), full eligibility would be available only at the school where the student’s parent or legal guardian accepted a licensed or certified position. c. The student may transfer and attempt to obtain Limited Eligibility in any Public School or Private School. 19-7 Foreign Exchange Student Eligibility 19-7.1 Requirements to be a Qualified Foreign Exchange Student A foreign student is a qualified foreign exchange student if he/she meets the following criteria: a. The student has not completed his/her home Secondary School program; b. The student meets all IHSAA eligibility rules including the scholarship rule (rule 18) and the age rule (rule 4); c. The student has been randomly assigned to his/her host parents and school and neither the school the student attends nor any person associated with the school shall have input into the selection of the student; d. No member of the school’s coaching staff, paid or voluntary, shall serve as the host family; e. The student, in writing, (i) agrees that full eligibility under the foreign exchange exception is for a maximum of One (1) year at One (1) school and is conditioned upon the student’s commitment to attend the member school for no more than One (1) year, and (ii) agrees that any continued attendance at any school beyond the initial year will be treated by the IHSAA as attendance following a transfer without a change of residence by the parent(s)/ Guardian(s) but the highest level of eligibility for which the student will qualify, during the year following the initial year, is Limited Eligibility. f. The student possesses a current J-1 visa, issued by the U.S. State Department; g. The student’s placement arrangements are completed in advance of the student’s departure from his/her home country. h. The student is attending School under a foreign exchange program approved by both the Association and the Council of Standards for International Education Travel (CSIET). A foreign exchange program, to be approved by the Association: (1.) shall be under the auspices of an established national corporation, a not-for-profit corporation or organization or a national civic organization; (2.) must assign students to schools by a method which insures that no student, school or other interested party may influence the assignment; (3.) must consult with the member school principal prior to placement of a student in a school; (4.) must be able to certify the student’s participation in interschool athletics in his/her home country; (5.) must not select or place the student based on his/her athletic interest or abilities. A list of approved CSIET and Association programs will be provided annually. 19-7.2 Direct Placements by Exchange Program If a foreign exchange program, approved by the CSIET and the Association, makes a direct Rule 19 - Eligibility and Transfer 85 placement of a student in a member School, the IHSAA must be notified in writing. A placement is considered a “direct placement” when a foreign exchange program places a student in a specific home or school, or in One (1) of several homes or schools, at the request of the student, parent, host, coach, booster, school, etc. A student receiving a direct placement may be granted Limited Eligibility. If a school fails to notify the Association of a direct placement, the student may be declared ineligible and the school may be subject to additional penalties as determined by the Commissioner. (Note: The member School must file the appropriate form with the IHSAA prior to the student receiving eligibility.) 19-8 Procedure Upon Transfer When a student transfers to a member School, the receiving School principal shall promptly conduct an investigation and file an IHSAA Athletic Transfer Report with the Association. 19-8.1 IHSAA Athletic Transfer Report and Investigation a. The principal of the receiving School shall promptly conduct an investigation commensurate with the facts known and the information provided to the principal at the time that an IHSAA Athletic Transfer Report is requested or initiated by a student or such student’s parent(s)/ Guardian(s). b. On all transfers, an IHSAA Athletic Transfer Report shall immediately be completed by the student and/or the student’s parent(s)/Guardian(s) as well as the receiving School principal and principal of the School from which the student transferred (sending school) and forwarded to the Association together with: (1.) a written report reflecting the results of the investigation of the receiving School principal; (2.) a statement explaining the circumstances, documented and supported in all appropriate ways; (3.) any verified or unverified statements from the student and/or the student’s parent(s)/ Guardian(s), and others; (4.) all pertinent and relevant documents which appear to bear on the subject; and (5.) recommendations regarding immediate eligibility by both principals, and in those circumstances where the student attended a school other than the sending and receiving school, at any time during the Three-hundred Sixty-five (365) days prior to the transfer, a recommendation regarding immediate eligibility shall be provided by the principal of the other school(s) the student attended during the Three-hundred Sixty-five (365) days prior to the transfer. c. The receiving School principal shall notify the student and the student’s parent(s)/ Guardian(s) that further investigation has been requested by either the sending school principal or the receiving School principal, or if it would appear that further investigation may be undertaken by the Association; under such circumstances, the student and the student’s parent(s)/Guardian(s) shall be advised that they have the opportunity to present any pertinent information not previously provided. d. The failure of the student and/or the student’s parent(s)/Guardian(s) or the receiving School or sending school principals, to process and file with the Association the IHSAA Athletic Transfer Report, may render the student ineligible and may subject the offending school to disciplinary action. Q & A Transfers - Generally Q. 19-1 Can a student, who receives Limited Eligibility following a transfer without a parental move, receive full eligibility after the parents later move into the District or Territory serving the school where the student had transferred? A. No, unless the student and the student’s parent(s) had previously declared their intent to move into the School District or Territory at the time the Transfer Report was submitted. In other words, if a student transfers to School A and states on the Transfer Report, in good faith, that his/her parents intend to move into the District or Territory served by School A, then the student will likely receive Rule 19 - Eligibility and Transfer 86 Limited Eligibility until such time that the parents move into School A’s District or Territory, and then at that time, the student can seek full eligibility under 19-5 and 19-5.2. In addition, the student can also attempt to obtain full eligibility at the time of the original transfer under the waiver procedure of rule 19-5.2. (rule19-5.2) Q. 19-2 Can a student, whose parent(s) make a Bona Fide move to a New District or Territory, but who does not transfer at the time of the move, become fully eligible when the student later transfers to a School which Serves the Student’s Residence? A. Provided the student transfers to a School which Serves the Student’s Residence prior to the 15th school day of the next school year, the student can attempt to obtain full eligibility at that School, provided there is no evidence that the transfer was the result of undue influence or primarily for athletic reasons. A transfer occurring after the 15th school day of the next semester or tri-mester will be treated as a transfer without a corresponding change of residence and the student shall have Limited Eligibility, unless the student can obtain full eligibility under rule 19-6.1, or under the general waiver rule.(rule19-5.1) Q. 19-3 If a student transfers from a member School located in One (1) city or School District to a School in another city or School District, how is eligibility determined? A. Transfer eligibility is determined under rule 19. It is the administrative duty, under rule 3 and rule 19, for all member principals to conduct an investigation and to carefully check the record of every transfer student who Enrolls at a member School. All member principals should also advise any student, who contemplates making a change of schools, as to the IHSAA eligibility rules regarding transfers. (rule 19) Q 19-4 May a transfer student from a school, which was not a member of the IHSAA and which was not accredited by another state’s accrediting organization, obtain full eligibility under rule 19-6.1(e), even though the transfer student had only attended the previous school for a semester? A. No, full eligibility under rule 19-6.1(e) is limited to those situations where the transfer student attended, during the entire Three-hundred Sixty-five (365) days period preceding the transfer, only unaccredited, non-IHSAA member schools. Q. 19-5 If a student’s parents moved out-of-state, but the student remains and moves in with a family friend and remains enrolled at the original school, is this student athletically eligible? A. Yes. Once a student becomes eligible in a School, the student retains eligibility in that School even though the student’s parents may have move to another District or Territory. (rule 19-2) Q. 19-6 If, between the first day of Practice and the first day of school, a new sophomore student (i) turns in a completed Consent and Release Certificate at a new School and (ii) participates in Practice at the new School for 10 school days, and then attends and participates at a second new School, will the student be athletically eligible at the second new School? What if the student Practiced for Sixteen (16) days? A. Yes, a student does not lose eligibility at a former school until the student has been Enrolled at a school for Fifteen (15) school days or more. However, since this is still a second new school, the student must seek eligibility at the second new school through submission of an IHSAA Transfer Report. If the student Practiced for Sixteen (16) school days, then the student became a student at the first new School and the student would need to submit a Transfer Report from the first new School to the second new School. However, since the student had not competed as a representative for the first new School, the student may get full eligibility. (rule 19-6.1(j)) Rule 19 - Eligibility and Transfer 87 Transfer Reports Q. 19-7 May a transfer student Practice and participate in interscholastic Contests during the time a Transfer Report is being processed? A. Once Enrolled at the receiving School, a transfer student may participate in Practices prior to the completion of the athletic transfer process, however the student may not compete in a Contest until after the Transfer Report is approved by the IHSAA. (rule 19-3(b)) Q. 19-8 Must a transfer student, who has never attended an American school and has never participated in interscholastic athletics, complete a Transfer Report? A. Yes, an athletic transfer form must be completed any time a student transfers to the new School, after the student had initially Enrolled in 9th grade, whether the student transfer from an in-state school, out-of-state school, Home School, and even if the student had not previously participated in athletics. (rule 19-3) Q. 19-9 If an incoming freshman or transfer student begins to Practice at a new School in August, but before school starts, but then leaves and decides to attend another school, must a Transfer Report be completed, since the student never competed in an interscholastic event at the school? A. For purposes of rule 19, the date of Enrollment at a School occurs when the student attends either a scheduled day of school, Practices for a sport, or participates in a Contest for the new School, which means that if that incoming student does practice for a sport and then decides to attend another school, the student will be a ‘transfer’ student, and a Transfer Report must be completed. Q. 19-10 What action should be taken by a member School when unable to obtain endorsed Transfer Report from an out-of-state school? A. The principal should promptly contact Commissioner and request a waiver. (rule 19-3) Q. 19-11 What is the penalty when it is discovered that false information has been submitted on a Transfer Report regarding a student who transfers from One (1) school to another? A. The penalty for submitting false information is a loss of athletic eligibility for a period of Three-hundred Sixty-five (365) days following the student’s Enrollment at any School that is a member of the IHSAA. (rules 15-1.1(e), 15-1.2(d)) Transfers with a Corresponding Change of Residence Q. 19-12 If the parents of a student move into a new area which is served by both a public and a Private member school, where must the student attend in order to be athletically eligible? A. A student may attend either the Public School serving the student’s new residence or the Private school serving the student’s new residence. However, once the choice is made and the student attends a school for more than Fifteen (15) school days, or participates in an interscholastic competition, any subsequent transfer is subject to the provisions of rule 19. (rule 19-2) Enrollment Options Following a Move Q. 19-13 After moving to a New District or Territory with his parent, a student Enrolls at a Public School which does not serve the student’s new residence or a Private School which does not serve the student’s new residence. Will the student be fully eligible? A. No. A student transferring with a corresponding change of residence by the parents to a New District or Territory can obtain full eligibility only at a Public School or Private School Serving the student’s new Residence, or at a Charter School. Transferring to an out-of-District Public School or an out-of-Territory Private School will result in Limited Eligibility unless the student can establish grounds for a student eligibility general waiver. (rule 19-5.1(b)) Transfers without a Corresponding Change of Residence Q. 19-14 Student attends a Public School which is closing at the end of the current school year. Student knows that next year his home will be served by a new Public Rule 19 - Eligibility and Transfer 88 School and he decides he will go ahead and transfer at Christmas break to the new Public School. Will the student be fully eligible? A. No. A student who transfers Schools because of a School closing will be fully eligible at a new School in accordance with rule 19-6.3; however, any transfer to the new School must be contemporaneous with the old School’s closing. In this case, the student would gain Limited Eligibility at the new Public School until his old School actually closes, and at that time student would gain full eligibility at the new Public School. Q. 19-15 If a student attends a member School, the School eliminates calculus from its curriculum and the student transfers to a Private member School which offers calculus, will the student obtain full eligibility? A. No. A student will have Limited Eligibility when a transfer is not accompanied by a corresponding change of residence by the parents. rule 19 does not have a waiver provision and the addition or deletion of an academic subject in the curriculum of a member School is not a valid basis for full eligibility. (rule 19-6.2) Q. 19-16 Will a Private School student, who resides with the student’s parents, who transfers to the Public School serving the parent’s residence be fully eligible following the transfer? A. No, the student will likely be granted Limited Eligibility at the Public School for Three-hundred Sixty-five (365) days from the date the student last participated in an interschool Contest at the Private School, unless the student would qualify for full eligibility under another provision of rule 19. (rule 19-6.2) Q. 19-17 If a student resides with his/her parents in a residence served by a Public School but attends the ninth grade at a Private School in the area, the student has not participated in athletics, and as a sophomore, the student transfers to the Public School serving his/her residence, is the student eligible? A. Under these circumstances, and based upon the fact that the student had not participated in athletics during the preceding Three-hundred Sixty-five (365) days at the student’s former School, it is likely that the student would obtain full eligibility. (rule 19-6.1(j)) Q. 19-18 Can a student transfer to New School and obtain full eligibility under rule 19- 6.1(n) when the student’s parent obtains a job as a bus driver at New School? A. No. Under rule 19-6.1(n), the parent’s position at New School must be either a teaching or administration position requiring an education license, an administrator’s certification or similar professional credential. A position requiring a driver’s license or similar licensure does not qualify for full eligibility under the rule. Moves Between Parental Households Q. 19-19 If a family owns a business that serves several school Districts, owns a home in Two (2) different Districts, the father and the student live in a Public School District A and the student attends the Public School in District A, the mother live in the apartment in Public School District B, and because of supervisory considerations, it is decided that the student should live with the mother in Public School District B and should attend School B, will the student be granted full eligibility? A. No, the student would be granted Limited Eligibility, since a single family unit may not maintain Two (2) or more residences for athletic eligibility purposes, unless the student would qualify for full eligibility under another provision of rule 19. (rule 19-6.2; See definition of Bona Fide move) Q. 19-20 If a student, who has been living in another state with the student’s divorced mother, who has legal custody, moves to live with the student’s father and Enrolls at the IHSAA member School serving the father’s residence, may the student be eligible at the new School? Rule 19 - Eligibility and Transfer 89 A. Yes, provided this is the first move between parents. (rule 19-6.1(b)) Q. 19-21 Does the existence of a broken home, separated parents, or other factors mean that eligibility in terms of residence will automatically be granted? A. No, each of these circumstances is only a factor which permits the Commissioner or his designee to review the individual circumstances of the student’s case and make a ruling on the basis of an investigation and the provisions of the By-Laws. (rules 19, 17-8) Emancipated Student Q. 19-22 May an Emancipated Student be eligible if attending School in a District in which his/her parents do not reside? A. Yes, provided the emancipated status is verified to the satisfaction of the Commissioner. (rule 19-6.1(i)) Guardians Q. 19-23 If a student’s parents determine that it is in the student’s best interests for the student to live with the student’s grandparents, the grandparents become the legal Guardians of the student and there is a resulting change in residence and a transfer of school, will the student have full eligible to participate in athletics? A. No, a legal guardianship is not recognized for the purpose of making a student fully eligible; and therefore, the student would be entitled to Limited Eligibility for a Three-hundred Sixty-five (365) day period, unless the student can establish grounds for a student eligibility general waiver as defined in rule 17-8. (rules 19-6.2, 17-8) Foreign Exchange Transfers Q. 19-24 Is a foreign exchange student, attending an IHSAA member School, fully eligible to participate in athletics? A. Yes, provided the student is attending under a CSIET-approved program and all of the requirements contained in foreign exchange rule have been met and followed. If the foreign exchange student cannot meet the foreign exchange rule, the student will likely be granted Limited Eligibility. (rules 19-6.1(m), 19- 6.2, 19-7) Q. 19-25 May a foreign student request placement in a specified school? A. Yes, however under such circumstances the student would not qualify for full eligibility under the foreign exchange transfer rule. Instead, since the foreign exchange student would be unable to meet the foreign exchange rule, the student would receive Limited Eligibility, unless the student would qualify for full eligibility under another provision of rule 19. (rule 19-7.2) Q. 19-26 May a foreign exchange student obtain full eligibility for more than a One (1) year period? A. No, foreign exchange students may be granted full eligible for Varsity athletics for One (1) year, and if the student remains, the student would be treated as an incoming transfer student who had transferred without a corresponding change of residents by the student’s parents, and would have Limited Eligibility, unless the student were able to qualify for full eligibility under another provision of rule 19. (rule 19-7.1(c)) Practices following a School Transfer Q. 19-27 May Practices in One (1) school be counted in another school where a student changes schools? A. Yes, a student’s Practices at a prior school may count toward the minimum Practices requirements of rule 9 provided there is definite proof of the Practices on file with the principal of the school at which the Practices were held. See also, rule 9 Discipline following a School Transfer Q. 19-28 Does disciplinary ineligibility in One (1) school carry over to the second school when a student transfers? A. Yes, a student must be eligible in all respects at the school from which the Rule 19 - Eligibility and Transfer 90 student transferred. And this means that an ineligibility ruling under the rules of a prior school shall carry over to the new school even though the student would be eligible under the rules at the new school. (rule 3-8) 

This starts out "the following is a brief summary ", imagine what a long summary would look like. 

• Upvote 2

On June 15, 2017 at 4:02 AM, Titan54 said:

This starts out "the following is a brief summary ", imagine what a long summary would look like. 

I didn't read all of it but I think it states that "if a team wins conference in prior year and returns nearly all their starters, said team cannot add a all conference transfer from similar conference." 

• Upvote 3