• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

Head Coach Openings 2017   10/17/2016

Frankton: Randy England  Bobby Ryan Promoted  Franklin Community:  Adam Reese  Chris Coll hired from Tri-West Martinsville: Brad Rose  Carter Whitson Hired  Lake Central: Brett St. Germain Tony Bartolomeo Promoted South Bend Clay: Craig Redman  Will Porter Hired from South Vermilion  Boone Grove:  Tony Tinkel   Dan Kukulski Promoted  Mooresville:  Chad Dockery Mike Gillin hired from Indian Creek Wood Memorial:  Caleb Cherry/Archer  Bret Kramer Hired Tippecanoe Valley:  Shriver/Norris   Stephen Moriarty  Hired Corydon Central:  Andrew Smith    Aaron Humphrey Hired Calumet New Tech:  Rik Richards  Rick Good Hired  Winamac:  Tim Roth Craig Barr Hired   Tri-West: Chris Coll Tyler Bruce Promoted North Central (Indy): Kevin Kreinhagen Kevin O'Shea hired from Lafayette Central Catholic Indy Chatard:  Vince Lorenzano Rob Doyle Promoted Paoli: Brian Balsmeyer Jeremy Lowery Promoted Mt. Vernon (Fortville): Doug Armstrong  Neil Kazmierczak  Hired from Lebanon  Bluffton: Randy Hudgins Brett Kunkel Hired Indian Creek: Mike Gillin Brett Cooper Hired Vincennes Lincoln:  Jon Heiden  Levi Salters Promoted  Frankfort:  Joel Sienicki Eric Davis Hired from Tri-County South Vermillion:  Will Porter  Greg Barrett hired from North Putnam Riverton Parke:  Jake Weber Brad Sanders Promoted Elkhart Central:  Levon Johnson Josh Shattuck hired from Seymour Mt. Vernon (Posey) Paul Meirer Cory Brunson hired from Evansville Harrison Richmond:  Matt Holeva  Abe Tawfeek hired from Indy Northwest Lebanon:    Neil Kazmierczak Jeff Smock Hired North White:  Jim Davis Kirk Quasebarth Promoted  North Posey:   Paul Rynkiewich  Waylon Schenk hired from Princeton  Pike Central:  Dustin Powell   Erik Mattingly Hired  John Glenn:  Damon Groves Austin Faust Promoted North Putnam:  Greg Barrett Sam Carnes Hired  Lafayette Central Catholic: Kevin O'Shea Don Coller Promoted  Evansville Harrison: Cory Brunson Lane Oxley Hired Indianapolis Roncalli:  Bruce Scifres Scott Marsh Promoted  Anderson Prep Academy: Jeffrey Dorman Randy Albano Hired Princeton:   Waylon Schenk   Jared Maners Hired Ft. Wayne North:  Mike Cochran Michael Brevard Hired Turkey Run:  Steve Stewart Bruce Scaggs Hired Indianapolis Northwest:   Abe Tawfeek Jonas Williams Promoted Tri-County:  Eric Davis  Sam Zachary Hired Carroll Community:  Mark Brown Kevin Sayler Promoted  Oldenburg Academy:  Wes Gillman  Union County:  Rusty Hensley Joel Hofmann promoted Edgewood: Jerry Bland Brian Rosenburg Hired Seymour:  Josh Shattuck  Michael Kelly Hired Wawasee:  Josh Ekovich Michael Eshbach hired from Eastside Muncie Central:  Adam Morris Scott Pethtel Hired Benton Central:  Ed Roberson  Mike Hammons  Promoted  Western:  Ron Jankovich Alex Stewart Hired New Castle:  Will Ragle  Kyle York Hired Sullivan:  Trent Olson Blaine Powell promoted Northwestern:  Alex Stewart Steve Disler hired  Clinton Central:  Isaac Sturgis Justin Gardiner Hired North Miami:  Mark Lefebvre  Joe Grant Hired from Rochester Spring Valley Justin Scheller Mark Hammond Hired  Edinburgh:  Derrick Ball  Jason Burton Hired Eastside: Michael Eshbach Steve Cooley promoted Rochester: Joe Grant Brian Hooker Hired Cloverdale: Tony Meyer Tom Winder Promoted Hammond Clark: Eric Schreiber  Hammond Noll:  Colin McCullough  Wayne Racine hired Lake Station:  Adam Hudak   South Central:  Eric Stephens Buzz Schoff Hired  Caston:  Brady Jones  Tony Slocum Promoted  

29 minutes ago, NRRaider2001 said:

Any idea what's going on with hooley?  I get that Julius is playing lights out at qb, but I didn't see Nick on defense at all, wondering if his shoulder is still hurt or his foot pain is too much 

Nope. I did notice he didn't play a snap last night at least by my count. That's gotta be tough for him, but Julius is playing really well. Maybe they thought Julius' speed was important to have in this game but I'm not sure why no time on D maybe still hurt

1 hour ago, GridironGuy said:

Nope. I did notice he didn't play a snap last night at least by my count. That's gotta be tough for him, but Julius is playing really well. Maybe they thought Julius' speed was important to have in this game but I'm not sure why no time on D maybe still hurt

Yep,I didn't see him play a snap either, same in practice on Tuesday/Thursday from what I saw

Well congrats to the Raiders!!  Does ole SF's heart good to see them bringing the game they have had in them out.  There is a very good chance they will claim the NLC football title outright this Friday night and remain undefeated.  Awesome season gang.  SF is headed back to the depths......

• Upvote 3

I gotta give credit to Warsaw too, I haven't seen the game yet and thought they were better than their record, but after Northwoods big game last week, I thought they were on a mission.... so did the pollsters.  Still think NW could be dangerous come sectionals, but congrats to the tigers on the upset, especially without some key players!

I caught the game the next morning Warsaw receiver Riley is really good. Not sure they don't run the QB more or try to be creative in getting him the ball, state qualifier in 100 and 200... he had 120 yards rushing against NW and they won obviously but going forward gotta think they feed him more

13 hours ago, GridironGuy said:

I caught the game the next morning Warsaw receiver Riley is really good. Not sure they don't run the QB more or try to be creative in getting him the ball, state qualifier in 100 and 200... he had 120 yards rushing against NW and they won obviously but going forward gotta think they feed him more

Zach Riley is a fantastic player to watch.  With all due respect to Tristan Larsh, IMO Riley is their MVP this season for everything he does.  The kid never comes off the field.  He plays receiver (and has stepped up since Trevor York started battling injuries), starts at corner (awesome matchup all night long with DeAndre Smart from NorthWood.  Really loved watching both of them line up against each other on both sides of the ball) and returns punts and kickoffs for the Tigers.  For the season he has 26 receptions for 300 yards and 3 TDs, but 18 of those catches have come in the last 4 games.  One of my favorite Tiger basketball players for Coach Ogle's squad as well.  Not because he's the best basketball player, but he plays hard with 100% effort, and you KNOW he wants to win not just every game, but EVERY play.  Okay, I'll stop my gushing now.

Not sure what more you could want from Tristan Larsh on the ground.  The Tiger coaching staff has certainly been feeding him...

Larsh's last two games:

Wawasee: 28 carries / 197 yards / 3 TDs / 5-9 passing / 67 yards / 2 TDs / 1 INT

NorthWood: 29 carries / 131 yards / 2 TDs / 8-15 passing / 84 yards / 1 TD / 1 INT

I agree through the Northridge game, he was only averaging 12 carries, but I believe part of that was just he AND the coaching staff still getting familiar with the offensive gameplan, etc.

• Upvote 1

The Plymouth vs. East Noble rematch will be interesting.  I also think that Northridge will have their hands full with CMA...I know I am thinking about a week ahead of this one.  I would be surprised if Ridge struggles with Elkhart memorial...but when a team thinks it's going to be easy and becomes complacent...bad things happen.  IMO though, even a complacent NR will defeat EM this week for the outright NLC championship.

wish I could be in Bremen as well as at Memorial this Friday night, still think S19 is a toss up between 6 teams, and one of the strongest sectionals in the state. 

East Noble beat a really good New Haven team, Culver seems to be playing lights out (although I still don't know about many of their opponents), and Angola has yet to be beaten.  Not to mention the 3 NLC powers that are in it.

I think whoever wins S19 will win Regionals over the Leo/New Haven winner, and should be a great game against Lowell/Griffith or New Prairie in Semi State.  4A South Sectional 24 is going to knock out 1 of the favorites in the first round with Ev. Reitz/Ev. Central facing off opening night.  Hopefully the NLC can send someone to Indy again this year, maybe in both 4A/5A, but once Concord is out of the easier Sectional they are in, Laporte/Michigan City are really good teams that could knock them out potentially.

I'll post my predictions for Friday later on, but still pumped about the NR/Concord game, best atmosphere I've seen for a Northridge game since I've been watching the last 25 years or so, including the Semi State at home against New Prairie (it was just too cold that game)....

Edited by NRRaider2001

Former Raider ('14) Isaac Zickafoose earned himself HCAC Defensive Player of the Week for the 2nd time this year.

https://www.bluffton.edu/athletics/football/2017/_news/1009zickafoose.html

October 9, 2017

BLUFFTON, Ohio - Junior defensive end ISAAC ZICKAFOOSE (Middlebury, Ind./Northridge) has been named the Heartland Conference Player of the Week for the second time this season after his otherworldly performance against Anderson University on Homecoming..

Zickafoose helped lead the Beavers to a 56-14 dismantling of Anderson on Homecoming Saturday. He tallied six solo tackles, a forced fumble, three sacks and four tackles-for-loss. His sacks set AU back 32 yards and he forced a fumble on the third sack, picked it up and returned it for a score midway through the third quarter.

The junior blocked a punt that KAY BOAKYE (Westerville/South) scooped up and ran back for a Bluffton touchdown late in the first half. He also scooted for 17 yards on a fake punt to keep the chains moving in the second quarter, and finished with a quarterback hurry and pass breakup. The Beaver defense allowed only 178 yards of offense with four total rushing yards.

The Bluffton University football team (2-3, 2-1 HCAC) will be back in action at Hanover on Saturday, Oct. 14, at 1:30 p.m.

Edited by NRRaider2001

1 hour ago, NRRaider2001 said:

wish I could be in Bremen as well as at Memorial this Friday night, still think S19 is a toss up between 6 teams, and one of the strongest sectionals in the state. 

East Noble beat a really good New Haven team, Culver seems to be playing lights out (although I still don't know about many of their opponents), and Angola has yet to be beaten.  Not to mention the 3 NLC powers that are in it.

I think whoever wins S19 will win Regionals over the Leo/New Haven winner, and should be a great game against Lowell/Griffith or New Prairie in Semi State.  4A South Sectional 24 is going to knock out 1 of the favorites in the first round with Ev. Reitz/Ev. Central facing off opening night.  Hopefully the NLC can send someone to Indy again this year, maybe in both 4A/5A, but once Concord is out of the easier Sectional they are in, Laporte/Michigan City are really good teams that could knock them out potentially.

I'll post my predictions for Friday later on, but still pumped about the NR/Concord game, best atmosphere I've seen for a Northridge game since I've been watching the last 25 years or so, including the Semi State at home against New Prairie (it was just too cold that game)....

Move along, nothing to see here...:13_v:

Edited by Off In The Yard
  • Upvote 2

21 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Not sure what more you could want from Tristan Larsh on the ground.  The Tiger coaching staff has certainly been feeding him...

Larsh's last two games:

Wawasee: 28 carries / 197 yards / 3 TDs / 5-9 passing / 67 yards / 2 TDs / 1 INT

NorthWood: 29 carries / 131 yards / 2 TDs / 8-15 passing / 84 yards / 1 TD / 1 INT

I agree through the Northridge game, he was only averaging 12 carries, but I believe part of that was just he AND the coaching staff still getting familiar with the offensive gameplan, etc.

I did notice they gave him plenty against NW but yes earlier in the year he wasn't showing up big in the stat line. Hopefully he can maintain a strong workload like has here recently. Who does Warsaw play in sectional just curious 

1 hour ago, GridironGuy said:

I did notice they gave him plenty against NW but yes earlier in the year he wasn't showing up big in the stat line. Hopefully he can maintain a strong workload like has here recently. Who does Warsaw play in sectional just curious 

Warsaw plays at home against Chesterton (3-5, 1-5 in the Duneland Conference).

And after his 13 carry, 130 yard, 2 TD game against Columbia City in the opener... you are correct.  In my opinion (just per my observations) it seemed to be due to two reasons.  First, as I stated previously, I believe it has just taken both he (first year playing QB since I think 8th grade) and the coaching staff a little longer to get used to the new spread rushing attack (vs. the spread passing attack they've employed over the last 3 years).  Second, the Plymouth and Northridge defenses mostly took away any efforts the Tigers made running the ball all night.  He did get 80+ yards against East Noble (13 carries, 87 yards) and Goshen (14 carries, 80 yards, 1 TD).  The entire offense was out of whack in that game up at Elkhart.

Edited by NLCTigerFan07
  • Upvote 1

Backerfan are you still out there somewhere? Interested how you feel about NWs sectional chances with some recent losses and also about how you feel heading to Plymouth this Friday 

Well outside of an apocalyptic meltdown we should secure our first outright NLC championship tomorrow night. Only game I'm really interested in this week is Plymouth and NW

3 minutes ago, GridironGuy said:

Well outside of an apocalyptic meltdown we should secure our first outright NLC championship tomorrow night. Only game I'm really interested in this week is Plymouth and NW

Plymouth/NW should be a great game.  I wouldn't discount Warsaw/Concord being a fairly close one too.  Maybe even the Goshen/Wawasee game, but I'm guessing Wawasee will continue to struggle putting points on the board.

Thought I was going to miss my first NR game of the year this week (going up north for a family wedding) but we aren't leaving until Saturday morning.  Hope to see NR dominate from start to finish.

• Upvote 1

On 10/10/2017 at 12:45 PM, NRRaider2001 said:

Sectional 20 has much more to offer than just Leo and N. Haven.  IMO the winner will be either Dwenger(1st choice) or FW Wayne(2nd choice).  Dwenger certainly knows how to turn it up a notch in the post season.  

1 minute ago, Dabears said:

Sectional 20 has much more to offer than just Leo and N. Haven.  IMO the winner will be either Dwenger(1st choice) or FW Wayne(2nd choice).  Dwenger certainly knows how to turn it up a notch in the post season.  

definitely forgot about BD being in S20, but still see New Haven as the favorites.

Can't believe I'm saying this already, but it is now the final week of Indiana Regular Season football for 2017, where did the time go?

Congrats to Warsaw Coach Phil Jensen, with last weeks win over Northwood he is now tied at the top with George Fisher at 103 wins for the Tigers.  Also congrats to Northridge for clinching at least a share of it's first ever Northern Lakes Conference football title with the win over Concord.

Last week I went 3-1, missing big time on the Northwood @ Warsaw game.  

My week 9 (regular season finale) predictions:

Northridge @ Elkhart Memorial - Northridge travels to the west side of Elkhart this Friday, with a win, they will clinch the NLC outright and the school's first ever undefeated regular season.  Memorial lost by 1 last week in a snoozefest to Wawasee, while Northridge went to Dunlap and picked up the biggest regular season win of the schools history.  Potential for a let down after last week and with a trip to a 7-1 Culver Military next week to open up sectional play in a big way.  I think NR wins easily this week, but one knock I have for Northridge this year is while they have beaten some great teams, they have yet to really beat up anyone on the scoreboard.  I think this is the week they finally get a dominating win on the scoreboard as well as that stat book.  Hopefully they stay healthy doing so.

Northridge by 30

Plymouth @ Northwood - Game of the week in the NLC is happening at Andrews Field on Friday the 13th.  Northwood is coming off of an upset loss to Warsaw, after blowing a 28 to 10 lead last week and dropping to 5-3 on the season after last years undefeated regular season/state runner up finish.  Plymouth may have had an early scare last week against Goshen, but came on strong at the end and won easily with the final being 41-21.  Most teams at this point in the year are dealing with some injuries, but Plymouth has to be toward the top of the list this year.  Plymouth has a very good East Noble team coming to the Rockpile in 2 weeks, while Northwood has an easier draw facing Dekalb at home.  Plymouth's Benji Nixon is leading the NLC in scoring with 100 points while Northwood has 2 of the top 6 NLC scorers in Yoder (62)/Gessinger (48) both of which are the NLC top rushers on the season at 1000+ and almost 900yds rushing a piece.  Neither team will be looking past this Friday though, and it should be a great game coming down to who makes the fewest mistakes/penalties/turnovers.  I'll take Northwood at home and looking to get back to winning football after last weeks tough loss.

Northwood by 3

Warsaw @ Concord - Huge comeback by Warsaw last week with the upset at home against a highly ranked Northwood team.  Concord suffered their first loss of the season to an undefeated Northridge team at Jake Field.  Warsaw is right up there with Plymouth when you talk about the injury bug biting hard, but they seem to be coming on strong at the right time of the year and look to build on last weeks emotional come from behind win to get Coach Jensen alone at the top for Tiger wins.  Concord looks to rebound after the loss to Northridge in what was one of the most hyped regular season NLC football games in my memory.  Concords Carter Neveraski ranks 3rd in the state in punt return average at 25yds per return.  I think Concord rebounds from their loss, but Warsaw's speed keeps it close until late in the game.

Concord by 14

Wawasee @ Goshen - Wawasee picked up it's 2nd win of the year against Memorial last week winning 7 to 6 with the only Warrior touchdown going 29 yards through the air from Aaron Evans to Jacob Hand.  Goshen has now lost 5 games in a row, losing last week to Plymouth after looking competitive in the first half.  Goshens Domonick Swinney is leading the NLC in interceptions with 8 on the year while the Warriors has only scored 26 points in the last month.  Wawasee has an unbeaten Angola a week from tomorrow to look forward to in the opening round of Sectional 19.

Goshen by 20

Oh, it's projection time!

Warsaw @ Concord: I feel so much less bad (not better, just less bad) about Goshen's loss to Warsaw after last week.  "Bring out yer dead!" said the NLC.  Warsaw replied "We're not dead yet!"  I'm willing to bet they keep it close in the first half, but I also don't think a good Concord team coming off an emotional loss to NR is going to give any quarter.  Concord 35, Warsaw 14

Northridge @ Memorial: Congratulations to the Raiders on their first NLC football championship.  Man, I never thought I'd ever type those words back when I played.  And that wasn't that long ago.  Northridge 42, Memorial 0

Plymouth @ Northwood: Well, I was not super impressed by Plymouth last week.  I get that they're banged up, but if that's still the case, they'll need to play a lot better than they did last week to beat NW at Andrews.  Because I doubt that NW will be not wrapping up easy tackles in the backfield and allowing Powers Right and Left to go for 80 yards.   Northwood 28, Plymouth 14

Wawasee @ Goshen:  Good news for Goshen: VanHooser is back.  Better news for Goshen: Wawasee's rush defense is poop emoji, as the kids say.  Best news for Goshen: even if they lose, they still get to keep the trophy (EDIT: I have been informed that there is a new trophy.  My guess is we'll need to win to get that one.).  Hopefully the 'Hawks can use this to reintegrate the guys who've been injured and to get ready for Central in two weeks.  Goshen 28, Wawasee 7

Edited by iogyhufi

9 hours ago, GridironGuy said:

Northridge freshmen finish 9-0 42-20 over Concord

Our freshman team was definitely impressive this year!  I read our JV game this week was cancelled, I'm guessing Memorial didn't have enough to field a team maybe?

First, congratulations to Northridge on their win last Friday!  After Concord and Plymouth's dominance of the conference for the last 10-12 years we have now had two years in a row with a new champ.  That can only be good for the conference moving forward.  I was also surprised with Warsaw pulling the upset over Northwood.  I thought that NW might start to get it rolling after their big win against Memorial.  It looks like it was just the fact that they played Memorial...

Northridge @ Memorial - No way Northridge is letting the perfect season end tonight.  Northridge rolls by at least 4 scores.

Warsaw @ Concord - Two teams coming off of very different weeks.  Concord trying to rebound after losing for the first time this season.  They may have a little more of a hangover since it was not only a loss but they are almost certainly out of the conference race as well (barring a miracle by Memorial).  Warsaw is coming off a very impressive come from behind win against Northwood.  I would not be surprised if this comes down to the final possession.  Special teams may be the difference in this one.  Concord by 3.  

Plymouth @ Northwood - If Northwood and Concord both win their would be a 3 way tie for third in the conference with three losses.  After what seemed like a lot of parity early in the year it looks like the conference will have three distinct tiers.  Northridge and Concord at the top, Plmouth, Northwood, and Warsaw in the middle, and Wawasee, Goshen, and Memorial at the bottom.  With that being said, I think this will be the game of the week in the conference.  I'm interested to see how both defenses play the other's offense.  Will Northwood's blitzing D be able to stop Plymouth's option attack?  Will Plymouth's D be able to match up with Northwood's talent on the perimeter?  I think this could go either way but I'm taking Plymouth in this one.  Who would of thought that Northwood could finish 5-4 and 3-4 in the conference heading into the season?  Plymouth by 2.

Wawasee @ Goshen - I saw in the paper their is a new traveling trophy in this rivalry game (War Hawk trophy).  Sounds like Goshen's QB is back and I think that will make the difference in this one.  If Goshen can put it all together they might be able to get some momentum heading into their incredibly weak sectional (minus Concord).  Goshen by 20. 

Really not to much to be excited for this week but I can't wait to see how sectional 19 plays out in the coming weeks.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NLC123 said:

Warsaw @ Concord - ... Special teams may be the difference in this one.  Concord by 3.

and you're going with Concord because of this reason? No disrespect to the Minutemen special teams whatsoever, but the Tigers have a dandy in sophomore kicker Harrison Mevis (Andrew's younger brother).  Add Zach Riley's kickoff and punt return abilities... hard to believe that's where the difference will be.  Both teams are fairly evenly matched up in that department IMO.

Side note, NorthWood freshmen WALLOPED Warsaw last night 47-7.  Warsaw's freshmen finish 6-3, 4-3 in the NLC, but I know they had two or three starters that got pulled up to JV/Varsity earlier in the season (including wide receiver Luke Adamiec who caught a touchdown against Wawasee and picked up a huge 1st down last week against NorthWood).