• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Cathedral: Rick Strieff

Is New Carlisle/New Prairie High School in the Central Time Zone or Eastern Time Zone?

4 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Is New Carlisle/New Prairie High School in the Central Time Zone or Eastern Time Zone?

I believe they are in the central time zone just barely but i'm not positive.

13 minutes ago, GridironGuy said:

I believe they are in the central time zone just barely but i'm not positive.

Obviously they have been in conferences with teams from EST, but is that a scheduling headache or no?

9 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Obviously they have been in conferences with teams from EST, but is that a scheduling headache or no?

I imagine it is somewhat of a headache, whether or not that would be significant enough of an issue to keep them out of the NLC i'm not sure, i'd doubt it but who knows.

1 hour ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

We were with them in the NSC and are currently with a couple CST schools in the HNAC.  Teams handle the time zone thing by typically splitting the start time.  A game that may start at 5:00 EST would start at 5:30 instead.  It's typically not a problem unless you run into situations where daylight is an issue, such as early spring baseball or softball.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

It is NOT New Prairie. Like I said, I was surprised when I heard the school, but they make a lot of sense in terms of size, location, & make-up. Again rumor, but supposedly this long standing NIC member will be interested if they are pursued/invited.

Edited by scarletknights

Ok, not Penn, not a city school, not Elkhart.  But a long-standing member.  Who does that leave?  Hmm.  Very interesting!

• Upvote 1

Mishawaka? Really.....trying to get out the shadow of their rival.  I could see that working.  Where does that leave Penn?  Very intriguing.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, MarshallCounty said:

Mishawaka? Really.....trying to get out the shadow of their rival.  I could see that working.  Where does that leave Penn?  Very intriguing.

Assuming they would still play Penn in one of their two non-league games. Coach Curtis prefers to play against those type of schools in the non-conference.

The more you think about it, they really are very similar across the board to most NLC schools.

Edited by scarletknights

Mishawaka similar to Nappanee and Wakarusa?   Mishawaka similar Milford and Syracuse?  Mishawaka similiar to Plymouth?  Mishawaka is more similar to South Bend than anyone in MIshawaka could care to admit.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, yellowjacket said:

Mishawaka similar to Nappanee and Wakarusa?   Mishawaka similar Milford and Syracuse?  Mishawaka similiar to Plymouth?  Mishawaka is more similar to South Bend than anyone in MIshawaka could care to admit.  

Similar in size of school (Mishawaka would be the 5th 4A school of 8 schools in the NLC).  Similar in that they're a "one horse" town school (I.e Warsaw, Plymouth, Goshen) with a very good following.  Similar in competitiveness as the NLC across the board in all sports.

• Upvote 2

When the remaining NSC schools invited Wawasee to join a new conference I am told the answer was a resounding no and one of the arguments was that New Prairie was too far away. Mishawaka would be an attractive addition being a 4A enrollment school and realtively easy travel. If Penn would be an option, then why give Elkhart the boot? Including either St. Joe or Marian is not all that attractive in my opinion. South Bend - we played Washington in football last year and the 10 fans they brought were spirited. I am not sure Fairfield would want to leave the NECC, but they do not have all the sports. A couple of teams that might be attractive to add are both 4A and are pretty good in many sports are East Noble (20 miles from Wawasee - same distance to Northridge for Wawasee) and Columbia City.

12 hours ago, Houndstooth_Hat said:

When the remaining NSC schools invited Wawasee to join a new conference I am told the answer was a resounding no and one of the arguments was that New Prairie was too far away. Mishawaka would be an attractive addition being a 4A enrollment school and realtively easy travel. If Penn would be an option, then why give Elkhart the boot? Including either St. Joe or Marian is not all that attractive in my opinion. South Bend - we played Washington in football last year and the 10 fans they brought were spirited. I am not sure Fairfield would want to leave the NECC, but they do not have all the sports. A couple of teams that might be attractive to add are both 4A and are pretty good in many sports are East Noble (20 miles from Wawasee - same distance to Northridge for Wawasee) and Columbia City.

East Noble and Columbia City were going to be my next two suggestions before the Mishawaka conversation took the thought out of my brain. Part of me would rather the NLC just stick to 7 teams and allow for an extra out of conference game.

The only issue back in the days after Bremen left, before Memorial joined is to find an opponent in your "Bye Week".  I remember Northridge traveling to East Chicago Central once.  Another year we had a true "Bye Week" with no game - that was miserable.  In the NECC before Garrett came back each team had a Bye Week and I remember some people having to go to the Thumb of Michigan.

Posted (edited)

What about Edwardsburg.  They would fit in with the NLC footprint.  Furthest opponent would be Warsaw at 48 miles. Enrollment about 820.

Edited by MarshallCounty
  • Upvote 1

Do the Eddies have swimming? Their events for track and field are slightly different. I think their girl's basketball season lines up differently as well as volleyball. It would be better to try and poach a team from another conference in Indiana. Culver Academies?

Didn't think about those differences.  Culver Academy would be a decent fit with competition.  Long drive for most, and they offer zero gate.

12 hours ago, Houndstooth_Hat said:

What does the probable future hold for Bremen, Jimtown, and John Glenn?

Don't look for Bremen's AD to lead any changes.  He is a paper pusher, not a leader.  I know some on the school board would jump at the chance to join the NLC against, but I think that is more nostalgia driven on their part.  Competition wise, the NIC has been fine from my point of view.

Posted (edited)

Bremen, Jimtown, and Glenn have done fine in the NIC.   With the large school division(north) and the small school division(south) these three school have done very well, winning numerous small division titles.  Every administrator and coach from these school that I've talked to have no  complaints about the set up.  And yes, other than Bart,  there are no school in the NIC that like playing Penn.

Edited by yellowjacket
  • Upvote 1

Too bad you can't make "football only" conferences, and go back to your normal conference for everything else.  Football is probably the only sport where enrollment size can really effect your competitiveness.  Smaller schools, at times, can compete in basketball, baseball, and track with the bigger schools. Unless you are like Jimtown in football and can get 100 guys out for your team, it's hard for a small school to compete in football with the giants.  

On June 21, 2017 at 9:33 PM, Houndstooth_Hat said:

Fairfield does not have swimming, soccer, or gymnastics....any of those additions would take participation away from the current sports offered.  We just need more student athletes.

Hope everyone is doing well.. 

After many summer scrimmages and talking with with a couple coaches, it could be an interesting NLC year. NW will and should be the favorite but lost allot of key pieces, and no a Yoder is not going to be the Qb. Smart and the yoders will be moved around allot but not a Qb.. I'm sure everyone can figure out who the qb will be or backerfan will tell us.. lol .. 

EM is going to the option which is likely their best option .. with their athletes makes sense. Two way kid in grose is a really good player and he's back. 

NR is going to be good, Holey is healthy and we all know they are well coached. Can't tell you for sure who theyre starting at qB will be but they have solid options. Good d coming back . 

Concord has some questions at line(who doesn't) and qb is slightly unproven but word is they will be better this year compared to last two years... lost a stud of course ... 

hearing Plymouth could be back, a ton of key players back, and the qb who was just a sophomore last year runs the offense extremely well this summer I hear.  A defense who returns two all state kids in drudge the safety and Lafree LB.  Both are highly regarded. 

wawasee I believe got a good coach, lost some talented kids, but hearing running similar offense but talent may not be there quite yet. 

I have not spoken to anyone from goshen but last a ton, sorry not saying much there... 

We will be very fast and more kids came out than expected. I absolutely could see us being better than mid pack. I know coach Jensen is excited... yes, we will run more this year :) 

my bored two cents .. 

• Upvote 1

Key to our season will be health. Last year went 3-8 but lost a lot of players that were week 1 starters, if we can stay healthy should be a solid year. Defense should be solid returning a lot of guys, offensive line probably the biggest question mark as far as how they will play, gotta be better on o line compared to last year if we wanna compete.

Warsaw running the ball more since coaches kid cant pad the stats anymore? lol;)

Looking forward to watching the Rockies on the new turf...looks fantastic! The 2017 squad is gonna do some good things, especially the D... a lot of varsity experience on that side of the ball. I think the offense will take care of their end if (my 1 armchair for the year) we can pass the ball efficiently, and maybe a little more often! Our inability to do so last year kept us out of a few games. With a young QB it's understandable, and no doubt will make him better with age.

With top notch facilities, great coaching staff, and plenty of boys returning.. hard not to be optimistic for a great year!  Be a little tough not seeing #34 in the middle but I guess that's what Saturday is for!?

Enjoy the rest of the summer, and cheers to what I'm sure will be a fantastic fall!

• Upvote 1