• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/31/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Rushville:  Scott McMurray  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer  Warsaw:  Phil Jenson Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Hobart:  Ryan Turley Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner
Sign in to follow this  
Lebowski

2017 Hoosiers

32 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

crap teams in the Big Ten (Purdue

I like this! LOL!  Ya'll see what DrivenT said. 

20 hours ago, DrivenT said:

I see trouble ahead for IU

The roster continues to deteriorate.  All of the crap teams in the Big Ten (Purdue/Nebraska/Maryland/Minnesota/Rutgers) are getting better and have much better and more experienced coaching staffs than IU.  Illinois is a mystery, but would you rather be pinning your hopes on Tom Allen or Lovie Smith?

The offense is starting completely from scratch.  The Hoosiers had zero running game this year, and their passing game is graduating.  Maybe Allen is planning on cloning the 2017 Ben Davis state championship team,  starting with recruit Reese Taylor.  

Indiana's first line of defense in the conference is against Rutgers and Maryland.  Both are in the process of surpassing IU as we speak, and given their superiority in recruiting and coaching, will put some distance between themselves and the Hoosiers very quickly.

IU has a better incoming class (in terms of rankings) than Purdue/Nebraska/Rutgers. IU embarrassed Rutgers last year and should be able to beat them in Piscataway and IU has Purdue and Maryland at home (games they lost on the road last year by a TD or less). IU should win all three non-conference games next year plus the 3 conference games I mentioned above. That gets us to a bowl game and IU playing in the B10 East goal every year should be making a bowl. Just not much you can do playing OSU, PSU, and Mich every year. Iowa @ home and Minnesota on the road are winnable games as well.

In what world is the offense completely starting from scratch? They return all 5 offensive lineman, their top 4 RB's return (Ellison, Gest, Majette, Brookins), their top 4 receivers are scheduled to be back even Cobbs if he doesn't declare + Nick Westbrook who missed all of last year is back, and Peyton Ramsey played more snaps than Lagow last year. The only players they lose are Lagow and TE Ian Thomas with the possibility of Cobbs declaring a year early.

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

IU has a better incoming class (in terms of rankings) than Purdue/Nebraska/Rutgers. IU embarrassed Rutgers last year and should be able to beat them in Piscataway and IU has Purdue and Maryland at home (games they lost on the road last year by a TD or less). IU should win all three non-conference games next year plus the 3 conference games I mentioned above. That gets us to a bowl game and IU playing in the B10 East goal every year should be making a bowl. Just not much you can do playing OSU, PSU, and Mich every year. Iowa @ home and Minnesota on the road are winnable games as well.

In what world is the offense completely starting from scratch? They return all 5 offensive lineman, their top 4 RB's return (Ellison, Gest, Majette, Brookins), their top 4 receivers are scheduled to be back even Cobbs if he doesn't declare + Nick Westbrook who missed all of last year is back, and Peyton Ramsey played more snaps than Lagow last year. The only players they lose are Lagow and TE Ian Thomas with the possibility of Cobbs declaring a year early.

No way in the world can IU factor wins against Purdue and Maryland at home next season.  They will be dogfights.  Both of those programs are improving.

Losing Cobbs & Thomas hurts.  And I am not sold on Ramsey....at all.  Especially his arm strength.

16 minutes ago, Trojan Dad said:

No way in the world can IU factor wins against Purdue and Maryland at home next season.  They will be dogfights.  Both of those programs are improving.

Losing Cobbs & Thomas hurts.  And I am not sold on Ramsey....at all.  Especially his arm strength.

Cobbs hasn't declared yet. Ramsey was more efficient and had a better completion % than Lagow. I'll give you that Lagow has a stronger arm but he was a statue in the pocket and wasn't a threat to run. The Hoosiers offense will be much more multi-dimensional next year with Ramsey back there.

The net net of what you will see from IU on offense next year is a considerable drop off in talent from what we have seen over the past 5 years.

8 former IU offensive players are in the pros now.  All were either recruited by or played under Kevin Wilson.

I see zero NFL prospects on the current offensive roster, other than possibly Cobbs, and IU receivers have had trouble sticking in the NFL.  

Edited by DrivenT

31 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

The net net of what you will see from IU on offense next year is a considerable drop off in talent from what we have seen over the past 5 years.

8 former IU offensive players are in the pros now.  All were either recruited by or played under Kevin Wilson.

I see zero NFL prospects on the current offensive roster, other than possibly Cobbs, and IU receivers have had trouble sticking in the NFL.  

It's the same personnel minus Lagow and potentially Cobbs but it is a year older. The offensive line will get better. Barring injury, Coy Cronk will start close to 50 games at LT by the time he graduates. I don't know many offensive lineman in the B10 who have started that many games that haven't played in the NFL. Morgan Ellison as a 220 lb true freshman RB showed great promise last year and finished in the top 10 in the B10 in rushing yards. Nick Westbrook (who was injured this year) went over the 1000 yard mark two years ago (in Cobbs place while he was injured) is back next year. Luke Timian and Whop Phylor (true freshman) are possession receivers and Timian was third in the B10 in catches. Ramsey was more accurate and more efficient than Lagow last year and turned the ball over less. IU's offense will be fine. This years offensive "dropoff", and I would hardly argue that as they were 5th in total offense in the B10, was due to inexperience, not lack of talent. The only question mark I have is Ramsey's arm strength but he was a freshman last year playing against some of the nations best defenses. He brings an added running dimension that was non-existent with Lagow.

I would be more concerned with IU's defense than anything. IU loses 9 defensive starters that was a top 25 unit nationally. IU has definitely recruited more athletes in the last two years and I think they will be fine, just inexperienced. I fully expect 6 wins from this group next year given the schedule with winnable games against Iowa at home and Minnesota on the road.

15 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Does Reese Taylor have a shot to play QB as a true freshman?  

I highly doubt it. Won't beat out Peyton Ramsey and then Nick Tronti redshirted last year and was Florida's Mr. Football.

28 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

I highly doubt it. Won't beat out Peyton Ramsey and then Nick Tronti redshirted last year and was Florida's Mr. Football.

If I were Ramsey or Tronti, I would be looking over my shoulder with regards to Taylor.  The Taylor-Allen-Ben Davis connection is undeniable.  I could see a scenario where Allen intends to mimic the Ben Davis offense to take full advantage of Taylor's talents over the next 4 years, same as IU did with Randle El.  Perhaps this will be the new IU-Allen identity.  Read option offense with a solid defense 

30 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

If I were Ramsey or Tronti, I would be looking over my shoulder with regards to Taylor.  The Taylor-Allen-Ben Davis connection is undeniable.  I could see a scenario where Allen intends to mimic the Ben Davis offense to take full advantage of Taylor's talents over the next 4 years, same as IU did with Randle El.  Perhaps this will be the new IU-Allen identity.  Read option offense with a solid defense 

Very well could happen down the line but have an extremely tough time believing a 5-9 170 lb true freshman is going to come in and start day 1 at QB

4 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Very well could happen down the line but have an extremely tough time believing a 5-9 170 lb true freshman is going to come in and start day 1 at QB

Not sure Taylor would accept the scholarship if he thought he would be sitting behind Ramsey and Tronti for the next 4 years.  

24 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Not sure Taylor would accept the scholarship if he thought he would be sitting behind Ramsey and Tronti for the next 4 years.  

He wasn't recruited as a QB rather as an ATH. Very good chance he plays DB or WR. There aren't many 5-9 175 lb QBs playing major college football these days.

Edited by Footballking16

14 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

He wasn't recruited as a QB rather as an ATH. Very good chance he plays DB or WR. There aren't many 5-9 175 lb QBs playing major college football these days.

Just what we need.  Another 5'9" defensive back.

LOL

18 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Just what we need.  Another 5'9" defensive back.

LOL

What are you talking about? Most DB's are 5-9-6.

Last years first and second team AA CB's

Adoree Jackson- USC 5-11

Jourdan Lewis-Michigan 5-10

Tre'Davious White-LSU 5-10

Minkah Fitzpatrick-Alabama 6-1.

There are a lot more 5-9 CBs than there are 5-9 QBs

2 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

What are you talking about? Most DB's are 5-9-6.

Last years first and second team AA CB's

Adoree Jackson- USC 5-11

Jourdan Lewis-Michigan 5-10

Tre'Davious White-LSU 5-10

Minkah Fitzpatrick-Alabama 6-1.

There are a lot more 5-9 CBs than there are 5-9 QBs

Taylor is a special player.  Have a feeling Allen has big plans in mind for him.  Personally, I would like to see IU move away from the drop back passing attack and go to more of a read option approach, assuming they can find the right personnel.  Its easier to coach and easier to find athletes for this offense.  Texas is loaded with these types of players.  

2 hours ago, DrivenT said:

Taylor is a special player.  Have a feeling Allen has big plans in mind for him.  Personally, I would like to see IU move away from the drop back passing attack and go to more of a read option approach, assuming they can find the right personnel.  Its easier to coach and easier to find athletes for this offense.  Texas is loaded with these types of players.  

So if he’s such a special player, what’s to stop him from being a special CB despite being 5-9? IU ran plenty of read-option with Ramsey in at QB as Ramsey was a dual-threat at Cincy Elder. That’s why IU recruited him.

Edited by Footballking16